Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mr.Radar posted:

Linkara looks at one of Frank Miller's most influential works, The Dark Knight Returns, from before he went completely off the rails with racism and misogyny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGw5o3pIyow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPEc5O7R6lE

See, I never took Gordon killing that kid as something we were supposed to be cheerful about. The coloring and presentation depicted Gordon as a weary old man in a world without hope. He had done this poo poo so long that he didn't even feel the horror of what he did. He was numb to the pain of it all which is really the most tragic of evils.

And that is the entire atmosphere of TDKR for me. Batman is not right, he's he's not a hero, he's just (futilely) fighting chaos. He's a traumatized old man who was drinking himself to death and then traded in drink for violence by returning to be Batman. He tried to help Harvey and himself but he could help neither because there is no help for the world of The Dark Knight Returns.

I really recommend this book Frank Miller's Daredevil and the Ends of Heroism which has a quote describing Miller's attitude going into TDKR:

"As Miller’s career was taking off, the everyday violence in Manhattan at the time was taking its toll. “New York is no longer fit for human habitation,” Miller told one friend. After enduring three robberies in the course of a month, he and [the colorist and his then-girlfriend Lynn] Varley decided to escape to LA. While she went out west to search for a home, he stayed behind to set up more work to get them out of debt. He had a check in his pocket when, once again, someone tried to rob him. “Frank just went berserk on the guy,” Varley says. “He didn’t hit him or anything, he just went so berserk the guy backed off and ran away. We were on edge."26

Such anger floats to the surface of his work with a bang in 1986, the year I graduated from high school, with not one but two smash-hit stories about characters that didn’t belong to him: Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and Miller’s most lauded Daredevil story, Daredevil: Born Again, his 1986 return to the Daredevil series, penciled by David Mazzucchelli.

Overall though, Linkara was a lot softer on the book than I expected. I agree with the rest of his sentiments, Too many people have a singular idea on what a superhero SHOULD be and that's bullshit. Batman in particular has a diversity of interpretations - is he the noble knight who is just too pure to kill, or is he a man one inch away from becoming The Joker and if he crossed that line of killing he'd become everything he hates? Is he a brooding loner or the heart of the Bat Family? Is there hope or no hope? Depending on the writing quality, any one of these depictions can be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pants Donkey posted:

Wizards has been super overt about grabbing money lately. They released a set of lands with no art for $29.99. That is ONE of each (5) land. And it’s a limited time sale cuz fomo!

Man, that makes Riot and Legends of Runeterra look amazing by comparison. The worst thing Runeterra does monetary-wise is those season pass tracks where if you do so many daily things you get more cosmetic stuff. Obviously Riot has their own problems but when it comes to online CCGs I think they have it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

They did just recently send some massive clown to threaten and strongarm a fan project out of business though!

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/Toadsanime/status/1387407365268443141

if you want proof of how much riot sucks, peep one of their pr guys trying to prove how much of a badass they are by trying to intimidate some guy making a fangame, lol

https://twitter.com/David_B_L84/status/1387411398033133571

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Not even a fangame, just a private server that old versions of the client could connect to - versions freely downloadable from Riot themselves.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yardbomb posted:

They did just recently send some massive clown to threaten and strongarm a fan project out of business though!

Oh, sure. Riot is the worst in nearly all respects. Didn't somebody awful do like a lion's share of Runeterra art?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Did Riot ever fix their overtly sexist bro culture?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Riot's the one that had the manager guy who would fart on people to assert dominance right

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

yoko kanno can borrow whatever she wants, scoring the cowboy bebop movie gave her a lot of leeway with me

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Can't fix the core being rotten.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Their response was like, a two month suspension or some poo poo of the insanely abusive guy, who last I looked was like COO, so they fixed literally nothing and probably have only gotten worse.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
It wasn't even a year ago it was revealed that one League character was based upon a dev's ex he was stalking.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Violen posted:

ive watched a veritable litany of content creators i like give a platform to bill gates recently and its really depressing lol

think im gonna just start emptyquoting this every time it happens sort of like an onion routine but unfunny

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

anyone in particular this time?

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
michael 'vsauce' stevens

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
it's very irresponsible for people with as much influence and reach as youtube video uploaders to give a platform to someone like Bill Gates, former CEO of Microsoft, with an estimated net worth of $131,000,000,000.00.
it's time we recognized that deplatforming works, and without the aid and comfort given to the enemy by these youtube channels, Bill Gates would not be able to spread his malicious lies about Linux to the impressionable youth of today.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bill Gates sucks a lot and anyone who is praising him whether they're being paid for it or not deserves flak for it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Chris Davis on Theme Park Smulators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfyc-bkWGWA

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Bonaventure posted:

it's very irresponsible for people with as much influence and reach as youtube video uploaders to give a platform to someone like Bill Gates, former CEO of Microsoft, with an estimated net worth of $131,000,000,000.00.
it's time we recognized that deplatforming works, and without the aid and comfort given to the enemy by these youtube channels, Bill Gates would not be able to spread his malicious lies about Linux to the impressionable youth of today.

I know you're joking but this is less "people want to censor one of the world's most well known tech and economy figures" and more "He is trying to clear the poo poo out of his reputation after an article detailing him blocking the vaccine patent releases, something that both the US and EU had put under debate and is right now strangling most of the 3rd world, including both Brazil and India and said content creators were too happy to help him do this on softball avenues where he can dismiss, let's say , him forcing Oxford to not release the rights and schematics to the Astrazenaca shot to the public domain, which could have greatly helped stiffen the tides of the roni to ravage thru such territories, even with people like Modi and Bolso at the helm of such regions, as conspiracy theories and a chunk of those creators could have been a bit wiser about whenever or not to help him on this"

... I would love to have a funny or neat video to show here but nearly every video I could put here has either trailers or teasers on it.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 29, 2021

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

New Thew!

Kingdom Ractonite!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch3ctm8pWgs&ab_channel=ThewAdams

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Bonaventure posted:

so you are just gonna lie about why Gates sucks to make your point or what is going on here

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Goa Tse-tung posted:

what is going on here

i found the use of the word "platforming" in relation to multibillionaire Bill Gates very funny, and made a joke on SomethingAwful.com

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
At least Bill Gates didn't make Balan Wonderworld that would be terrible

Anyway here's Wha Happun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuRl_AOe57w

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Violet_Sky posted:

At least Bill Gates didn't make Balan Wonderworld that would be terrible

Anyway here's Wha Happun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuRl_AOe57w

This game is the poster child for "good idea, bad execution." For starters, why'd they put the guy on the cover art and you don't even play as him?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

This game is the poster child for "good idea, bad execution." For starters, why'd they put the guy on the cover art and you don't even play as him?

lots of games are like that to some degree. especially kids stuff.

yeah the idea of the game is nice. "lets make a super easy platformer for kids and their parents" but then they did it in the worst way possible.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

yeah its absolutely appaling to see a potential genocide enacted upon the third world - almost as apalling as a bat credit card!

Anyway here's doug walkers review of steven universe part 3

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Dongicus posted:

Anyway here's doug walkers review of steven universe part 3

i hate that guy

edit: doug walker, not steven universe

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bonaventure posted:

it's not that somehow some rear end in a top hat with a youtube channel is genuinely somehow signal boosting the guy who basically straight up runs the pharma commodities market behind the scenes through sheer momentum and snowball effect of his money, it's more that gates is a eugenics loving racist sack of poo poo who nobody should listen to unless the topic is 'how to create a monopoly'.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WabG3H-QnFw

quote:

Part 1;
Why does Tony Stark have PTSD symptoms in Iron Man 3, when he came through previous adventures seemingly unscathed?
Licensed therapist Jonathan Decker and filmmaker Alan Seawright break down what causes Tony's breakdown in Iron Man 3, how he gets through it, and how that relates to real life trauma or anxiety. They also talk about Tony's narcissism, problem-solving, and relationships. And how Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man launched the Marvel franchise and changed the landscape of modern movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PALQhiCo6hg

quote:

part2;
How does this genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist overcome his arrogance, ego, guilt, and PTSD? Tony Stark can think his way out of almost any problem, but what happens when he can't? Or when he can't protect the people he cares about?
Licensed therapist Jonathan Decker and filmmaker Alan Seawright finish out Tony Stark's character arc in part 2 of this deep dive into the psychology of Iron Man. They talk about handling guilt, dealing with trauma, and building and repairing relationships. And the absolutely stellar writing in the MCU, and stunning performances from Robert Downey Jr, Tom Holland, and more.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i assumed it was because he probably saw a gently caress ton of people die plus almost died himself and basically saw the outer limits. pretty sure all that poo poo combined would probably give you some kind of PTSD.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
even if you don't slide in the pure comic stuff like Tony's alcoholism and all in the MCU he watched tons of people, both friends and random bystanders, die often due to his own actions and himself almost died multiple times. Pointing out that he probably has PTSD is not something you need a pro shrink and two youtube videos to do.

if you're gonna frame it as 'why does this only come up a few times' the answer is 'the mcu is not a series where they're writing actual human psychology', but I guess that'd damage the thesis of 'this is proof of the depth and beauty of the mcu'

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 29, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
come watch my five part series where I interview multiple heads of psychiatric study at medical clinics to ask if Spider-Man has guilt issues.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Starting to watch Elfen lied.

There's no way I can accept this girl as some sort of cheeky anime schoolgirl type. The way she casually, almost gleefully toyed with and killed all those people was gross as hell. She didn't make some mad dash for freedom, she took her time and played with her victims.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Don't worry, it gets worse.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Katt posted:

don't

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Katt posted:

There's no way I can accept this girl as some sort of cheeky anime schoolgirl type. The way she casually, almost gleefully toyed with and killed all those people was gross as hell. She didn't make some mad dash for freedom, she took her time and played with her victims.

Play this theme while you watch the show, it'll help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yGGNohmAT0

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/Q_Review/status/1387855362104119305

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Got to the scene where the clumsy girl stumbles over to the "prisoner" and I was like "Oh yeah I see where this is going. They escape together in some wacky way and the clumsy girl teaches the prisoner about life in the city or something like that as they build up a friendship.

Nope.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Katt posted:

I liked elfen lied when I was 12 but watching it again later I realized it was kinda poo poo.

That describes most of lynn okamoto's works though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Katt posted:

being a filthy casual anime fan in my teens and not knowing what actually was out there until I first went to college and met other anime fans Elfen Lied was one of the first things I saw that wasn't Gundam or DBZ.

It's not good at all but in the early 2000s when you're thinking anime is just cooler versions of American cartoons it was a pretty amazing experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

New Cosmonaut Variety Hour!

Reviewing my old reviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-gCq1Gd42M