Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

sad question posted:

That sounds impressively terrible.

The 'pull' system in the US also means that anyone who gets ahold of your account number (say, by reading it off a check) can transfer money from your account with no confirmation on your part. Your recourse is filing a chargeback with the bank or suing them for fraud or something.

That probably contributes to the reason nobody has their friends' account numbers to transfer money to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Why Is America?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mng posted:

Why Is America?

As with a lot of problems in the modern world, the answer ultimately comes down to the British Empire.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mng posted:

Why Is America?

Racism and vast natural resources.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
A beautiful response to the recent Shapiro Twitter video:

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/n15hp5

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The 'pull' system in the US also means that anyone who gets ahold of your account number (say, by reading it off a check) can transfer money from your account with no confirmation on your part. Your recourse is filing a chargeback with the bank or suing them for fraud or something.
Well that and they can use it to print checks and float them. Just doing ACH drafts is a really dicey way to do outright fraud, but sleazy outfits like Planet Fitness use it to put another layer between you and subscription cancellations.

Sometime in the aughts there were a few scammers who had this scheme going on where they'd buy out independent adult sites that processed through their own merchant account at a ridiculously inflated price through a shelf corp in one of the usual suspects, then run all the cards through a rebill account until they ran dry or the gateway sussed out what was going on. Then they'd transfer as much as they could out and leave their patsy nominee holding the bag before moving on to the next mark.

The longest I ever heard this going on was like two weeks, because it's very very difficult to do this sort of thing without financial institutions looking very studiously the other way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Would adult sites be cheaper if it was easier for them to get lower rates on credit cards, slash, had easier access to credit card transfers?

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

ben shapino posted:

im dropping this to not poo poo up the thread with this crap any more

ben shapino posted:

good luck fighting racism wherever it is found, oh valiant goons. just make it up if you can't find any, you definitely don't come off as exactly the type of person the joe keskold account is parodying at all.

Terminally online on forums.somethingawful.com is definitely the saddest version of terminally online.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Skwirl posted:

Would adult sites be cheaper if it was easier for them to get lower rates on credit cards, slash, had easier access to credit card transfers?

Potentially? It'd give them the option, at least.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

It's funny watching old American films where American Express is portrayed as some sort of Elite Card.

But then tons of stores in Europe will straight up ban American Express for being an unreliable garbage card with massive fees.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

In order for that to happen, people would have to be significantly less likely to dispute charges once they've ejaculated. Granted the industry brought a lot of chargebacks onto their own heads because of their own shortsighted greed and libertarian tendency to be scammy shitheads (there are a *lot* of randroids in the industry)

I dunno how much this applies nowadays since I noped out of the industry years ago, but holy poo poo was there just a lot of actual crime going on (and not the good kind)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

In order for that to happen, people would have to be significantly less likely to dispute charges once they've ejaculated. Granted the industry brought a lot of chargebacks onto their own heads because of their own shortsighted greed and libertarian tendency to be scammy shitheads (there are a *lot* of randroids in the industry)

I dunno how much this applies nowadays since I noped out of the industry years ago, but holy poo poo was there just a lot of actual crime going on (and not the good kind)

Jesus that's horrible.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Katt posted:

But then tons of stores in Europe will straight up ban American Express for being an unreliable garbage card with massive fees.
That too. It might have changed in the interim, but time was both Amex and Discover had a single entry-point into their networks and Amex was both the card network and issuing bank, whereas Visa and Mastercard have these incredibly beefy and networks with incredible redundancy—Visa keeps an equal amount of live and backup servers, so if every single server routing transactions went down simultaneously, the total downtime would be a few minutes, tops.

This is one reason¹ why your bank debit card is almost certainly going to be either of the two, even after Discover started trying to partner with banks in earnest.

¹ the other ones are of course, related to corrupt business practices

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Jesus that's horrible.
Adult performers can be wonderful people (I mean, lots of real shitheads too) but goddamn if the producers aren't some of the worst human beings I've ever dealt with

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

This is so wild from a Swedish perspective.

If someone sends me a bill that I disagree with (legitimate or otherwise)

I write them a letter contesting it. Regardless of what reason I provide. The whole matter is frozen there until the case has been brought to court and I have lost the case.

And if the claim is for less than $2200. Then both parties pay their own legal fees regardless of who won or lost. So you can pretty much go to court and twiddle your thumbs then tell your side of the story and the people filing a claim against you will end up having to pay several times the original claim in legal fees even if they win.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Adult performers can be wonderful people (I mean, lots of real shitheads too) but goddamn if the producers aren't some of the worst human beings I've ever dealt with

I meant the customers refunding their payments immediately after watching or downloading something, but that's not particularly surprising either.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Katt posted:

It's funny watching old American films where American Express is portrayed as some sort of Elite Card.

IIRC, Amex spent a lot of money in the 80s on product placement (there's famously a blatant American Express ad in the opening scenes of Batman) and tried very hard to make it seem like stores not accepting it was a sign of the card's exclusivity (essentially, trying to shame stores into opting in).

It didn't work. Lots of places in the US still won't take Amex either. On the other hand, it's still more widely-accepted than

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-nSwKOVZyk

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cythereal posted:

As with a lot of problems in the modern world, the answer ultimately comes down to the British Empire.

I think we have to blame France to some extent as well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

It didn't work. Lots of places in the US still won't take Amex either. On the other hand, it's still more widely-accepted than

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-nSwKOVZyk

Some restaurants I worked in took Amex, some didn't. Every single one took Discover. Although almost every single person who used one always asked if we took it expecting me to say no.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Data Graham posted:

I don't know if it's just me but in the US, in my experience at least, nobody knows another person's bank account number, god no. That would be like someone giving you power of attorney, or that's what it would feel like you're asking them for.

this is a pretty funny comment in a discussion that started because people were talking about still using checks in the us

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

A lot of places used to not take Discover because they charged higher processing fees than other cards. I'd assume it was the same situation with Amex.

What's weird is that for a time in the 90's, the only credit card that (at least my local) Sam's Club accepted was Discover.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

empty baggie posted:

A lot of places used to not take Discover because they charged higher processing fees than other cards. I'd assume it was the same situation with Amex.

What's weird is that for a time in the 90's, the only credit card that (at least my local) Sam's Club accepted was Discover.

I think that was because Walmart/Sam's had a card backed by them, like Costco with Visa.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Up until last year Costco in the UK would only accept American Express if you wanted to pay by credit card instead of debit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Up until last year Costco in the UK would only accept American Express if you wanted to pay by credit card instead of debit.

Costco exists in the UK?

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Skwirl posted:

Costco exists in the UK?

Well, over there it's Coustcou

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Paper Tiger posted:

Well, over there it's Coustcou

I get the joke, but that looks French.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Where you get yer gallon of eels, innit?

Leftenant Eatmuch approves.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Skwirl posted:

That'd be "Côtceau".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Veotax posted:

Yeah, literally the only time I've written a check was when I was a teenager and needed to pay my mum back for something. She made me write her a check because "you'll need to know how to do this for later in life", never written another one.

Cashed a few though.
I've got a couple of checks for a few pennies that Scottish Power sent me as a refund for overpayment. Normally I would have cashed those out of principle, but I ain't going to a bank until the pandemic is past.

my last job was paper check only because the owner didn't want to pay for direct deposit

he also paid under the table all overtime because he didn't want to pay taxes on that either

the state of ohio is currently investigating him account to public court records

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
I think that's a knife-selling MLM

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

That'd be "Côtceau".

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

I think that was because Walmart/Sam's had a card backed by them, like Costco with Visa.
Costco is an exclusivity arrangement. I imagine Walmart was similar, but they were also a credit issuer using Discover's network—such as it is—which was very much in Discover's wheelhouse as it was created by Sears.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Katt posted:

This is so wild from a Swedish perspective.

If someone sends me a bill that I disagree with (legitimate or otherwise)

I write them a letter contesting it. Regardless of what reason I provide. The whole matter is frozen there until the case has been brought to court and I have lost the case.

And if the claim is for less than $2200. Then both parties pay their own legal fees regardless of who won or lost. So you can pretty much go to court and twiddle your thumbs then tell your side of the story and the people filing a claim against you will end up having to pay several times the original claim in legal fees even if they win.

I’m curious as to how this doesn’t get abused.

I just hired you to make me 1000 widgets at 10 bucks a shot. I pay you a deposit to get up and running and agree to pay you the second half when they are done?

So are there systems in check to make sure I’m not just going to pay you $8,000 total? Assume for the sake of argument that you shipped me the order because you made the mistake of trusting me.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
why doesnt the gov. just make its own card? where's my cyberpunk future with credit chits?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

PhazonLink posted:

why doesnt the gov. just make its own card? where's my cyberpunk future with credit chits?

Your credit limit is based on your Citizen Score

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

I think that's called "cash"

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

ben shapino posted:

This is exactly what I do and I was never taught to do it this way. It just makes so much more sense to do 3 easy calculations instead of one complex one.

Me too.

I've had pretty good success shutting down Boomer rants about common core math by saying something like "they're just teaching the kids to do math the way every sane person already does it in their head" :D

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

That's the normans for you

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
A sampler platter.

Raw meat dude keeps going at it. Now with probably spoiled milk and raw chicken. :barf:
https://twitter.com/aristopurp/status/1387543132435218433

WEAD
https://twitter.com/gregkellyusa/status/1387804495619497993

The funny kind of idiocy.
https://twitter.com/DeddoRain/status/1387418654581665795

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It would be honestly better if we were all obliterated by an asteroid.

https://twitter.com/e_turgeneva/status/1377308563912155140?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

Bugsy posted:

A sampler platter.

Raw meat dude keeps going at it. Now with probably spoiled milk and raw chicken. :barf:
https://twitter.com/aristopurp/status/1387543132435218433

How is this guy still alive? I feel like I see people making fun of him for these kinds of tweets every couple of months.