Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is Beyond Good and Evil 2 dead

Almost certainly. Michel Ancel was forced out (not metooed, he's just really bad at project/people managerment apparently), their plan to make half the game out of free assets donated by fans probably isn't going well, and what they did have to show off last time was unfocused tech wanking with no clear path to becoming a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

haveblue posted:

Almost certainly. Michel Ancel was forced out (not metooed, he's just really bad at project/people managerment apparently), their plan to make half the game out of free assets donated by fans probably isn't going well, and what they did have to show off last time was unfocused tech wanking with no clear path to becoming a game

That's true, but we do have a Netflix movie coming!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/detective-pikachu-director-netflix-tackling-ubisofts-beyond-good-evil-film-adaptation-1305407

And don't forget the Splinter Cell anime: https://collider.com/splinter-cell-netflix-series-details-how-many-episodes-derek-kolstad-interview/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Psychonauts 2 was promised to come out this year at least. Chances are extremely low that it's actually a good game though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

I said come in! posted:

Psychonauts 2 was promised to come out this year at least. Chances are extremely low that it's actually a good game though.

Yeah...

Because it's guaranteed to be incredible!!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think psychonauts 2 will be fine. i don't think DF on average makes bad games, just games that get overhyped and are more style than substance. but like.. i like more of their games than dislike

i like:
psychonauts
costume quest
stacking
iron brigade
broken age (sorry haters)
hack & slash
headlander
psychonauts in the rhombus of ruin

didn't like:
brutal legend
spacebase (obviously)
the cave

and then they also publish/fund good games too:
escape goat 2
thoth
GNOG
gang beasts

also i have not played Rad but it seems like it's fine. not into roguelites tho

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

theres supposedly a community mod for spacebase that makes it Decent

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They also did the excellent re-release of Grim Fandango.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Broken Age is good right up until the ending, which ruins it entirely

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

Broken Age is good right up until the ending, which ruins it entirely

What about it ruins it? I've never played it, don't care about spoilers so spoil me.

e: cool, steam sale for golden week

Those eyes are way too far apart though

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

FirstAidKite posted:

What about it ruins it? I've never played it, don't care about spoilers so spoil me.

e: cool, steam sale for golden week

Those eyes are way too far apart though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P74goBH_mUM

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm gonna take pictures of pokemon very soon

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm fuzzy on the details since it's been an age :razz: but here's what I remember:

Broken Age has two protagonists. The first is a boy named Shay, who's all alone on the starship Bassinostra with a creepy, controlling Mom AI, on a mission to find new habitable worlds. The second is a girl named Vella, who lives in a village where they sacrifice their daughters to a flying tentacle beast named Mog Chothra. Shay meets a stowaway in a wolf suit named Marek, who teaches him how to avoid Mom's surveillance and use the Bassinostra to rescue endangered animals from hostile worlds. Vella learns that her village once made war upon Mog Chothra and wants to stop the sacrifice, even though everyone else is way into it.

At the end of Act 1 it turns out that the Bassinostra IS Mog Chothra, the space travel was all a big deception, and the animals Shay thinks he's been rescuing are actually the sacrificial maidens. You don't learn more until the finale of the game, where it's revealed that Marek, and Vella's grandmother for some reason, are from a race of weird parasite people called Thrush that rule over a hidden fortress-city which Shay believed was his homeworld. The Thrush keep the city running by using the Mog-ships to abduct slaves. Also the Mom AI was Shay's actual mother, just because. This is all resolved when Shay and Vella take another Mog-ship and overload its reactor, causing it to melt down and form a bridge to the fortress-city's gates in utter defiance of all physics. Thus the Thrush are forced to stop hiding in their slave-city and be friends with everyone. The End.

DF couldn't have come up with a less satisfying resolution if they'd tried.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 29, 2021

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

wow, cyberpunk looks pretty good

wait, that's rachet and clank

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Swapping back and forth between AC Odyssey and Sekiro is a no go. Lots of similar actions between the two on completely different buttons.

I'm having a great time with Sekiro. It takes a little bit but once you get a feel for the difference between block and parry and learn when you can attack it's excellent. Just started watching VG's first stream of it and got a good laugh at people in the chat telling him to smash all the kid's books.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Hi thread! Picross is good.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/ToysForBob/status/1387854364157509634

:sigh:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao after 20 years of begging Activision brought Crash, Spyro and Tony Hawk back for the briefest time physically possible.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Didn't Toys for Bob do the recent new Crash game? That was all new right or was it a remake?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jolo posted:

Didn't Toys for Bob do the recent new Crash game? That was all new right or was it a remake?

It was all new and it is also very good.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

It was all new and it is also very good.

Ahh I see, that's why they're being rewarded by getting to make COD :(

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i finished sonic the hedgehog 2006 last weekend, and while i don't have any profound thoughts on its failures that haven't been brought up time and again already, i did enjoy my time with it. the controls are bizarrely bad but the 3d sonic base is still there and i'm experienced enough with those to not have too much trouble. only one game over, and not even from mach speed or the final level! sonic's story is a big dumb waste of time (aside from picking amy in the trial of love), but shadow and silver's stories have some cool and funny parts as well as just playing better than team sonic. the main hero doesn't even meet the main villain! after sonic dies and then gets the kiss of life from his human girlfriend, i can't help but think he has absolutely no idea what's going on.

as sloppy as the infamous mach speed sections are, i'm glad the devs decided to stick with the concept and workshop it because holy poo poo are the daytime stages in sonic unleashed fun to play. the sense of speed is unreal, and i doubt it would have come out so well without the groundwork laid by 06, secret rings, and rivals (bizarrely enough). kinda bummed that almost all the friends got shuffled away though. the change in tone between 06 and unleashed is refreshing but sonic's friends didn't do anything wrong

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Well, that was a good half-decade or so of Crash seemingly being back. Guess there's really no new Spyro game in development at the moment if both Toys For Bob and Vicarious Visions are busy in various support roles.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Someone explain to me why you would buy a bunch of talented developers and then have them grind in the cod mines for all eternity.
Why not expand the studios that have worked on cod games and, I don't know, have those other developers work on potential new ideas revenue streams

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Someone explain to me why you would buy a bunch of talented developers and then have them grind in the cod mines for all eternity.
Why not expand the studios that have worked on cod games and, I don't know, have those other developers work on potential new ideas revenue streams

because adding cosmetic lootboxes to mega-franchises is an order of magnitude more profitable than making critically acclaimed but niche games

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

It's about making the most money in the shortest amount of time. Work the talented developers to death making gun skins or whatever the gently caress you get in CoD these days, make ludicrous bank and hope the situation will be infinitely sustainable.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is Beyond Good and Evil 2 dead

God I hope so, the trailers were absolute gash

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Crash 4 was probably barely saved from being turned into a live-service game with battle passes, limited-time alternate skins and various currencies to spend during development.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Literally everything about BG&E2 looked like the exact opposite of what people wanted, it was impressive.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Jolo posted:

Both Crash 4 and the remake trilogy did quite well, both critically and sales-wise.

But why bother with that when you can have King farm out a Crash-branded endless runner that brings in way more cash? Probably well over 40 million downloads at this point.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-04-16-crash-bandicoot-on-the-run-earned-usd700k-in-one-week

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Activision only cares about immediate profits and growth that can be attained in the shortest possible timeframes. Blizzard is kind of an anomaly there, but they're being slowly forced to adapt.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Of course, they need all hands for the creation of the Metaverse
https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1387813982006874114

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Of course, they need all hands for the creation of the Metaverse
https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1387813982006874114

Are you telling me I can hook myself into the VR machine and get quickscoped in real life???????

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you can already do that

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

stev posted:

make ludicrous bank and hope the situation will be infinitely sustainable.

:capitalism: in a nutshell

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

More like Toys for DoD

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

More like Toys for DoD

nice

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
there are few companies on this earth i hate more than activision and no i wont be taking questions about priorities at this time

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I think that's a plea for help

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Jolo posted:

Ahh I see, that's why they're being rewarded by getting to make COD :(

Flashbacks to 2012 when fall of cybertron blew me away, and then High Moon Studios was imprisoned in the COD mines forever.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

xedo posted:

Flashbacks to 2012 when fall of cybertron blew me away, and then High Moon Studios was imprisoned in the COD mines forever.

They got to make some of the best content destiny 2 ever had at least :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

At the very least it sounds like they're just assisting on the current DLC season and aren't a full time CoD studio now.