Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Incremental Epic Hero

Okay, so what's the deal with the Montblango challenge boss that unlocks reincarnation?

I've got ~1450 hours of runtime and I've been unable to progress past him for probably half of that.

Not sure how to really capture my progression level; maybe this is good enough:

The description for the boss says something implying fire, but my best fire attack is 7 orders of magnitude weaker than the warrior's Charge Swing and equipping it doesn't seem to help at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
So Montblango is kind of like a raid boss. He has 3 attacks and a vulnerable phase. Two attacks are just different kinds of dodging, and third leaves damage zones on the ground so you have to place yourself in a corner or something so he targets them in a way that doesn't ruin you'd dodging ability.

Any fire attack regardless of strength will fill a meter on him. When he becomes stationary every few attacks the meter fills significantly faster so focus on avoidance while he is attacking. After 5ish rounds of fire attack (using fireball and the circle one), he should go into his vulnerable phase where you can actually damage him. Charge Swing is about the only attack that does meaningful damage so it needs to be very high level and chomp as many of the 25% attack pills as you can.

Generally you want to be able to take him down in one vulnerable phase. I don't remember the target numbers for dps but I know I checked them on the discord. I find it easiest to do as warrior but angel might work too for high speed to chip his shield faster.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Ooooooooh.

So you have to actually control the fight. Literally everything else got smashed by the AI walking me towards it in a straight line while numbers came out.

I equipped the two fire skills you mentioned, avoided the one attack that left zones (they caused instant death) and then he immediately exploded the second his damage phase happened. I was apparently very over leveled but couldn't tell because it was the first fight that needed any actual mechanics.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

SynthesisAlpha posted:

So Montblango is kind of like a raid boss. He has 3 attacks and a vulnerable phase. Two attacks are just different kinds of dodging, and third leaves damage zones on the ground so you have to place yourself in a corner or something so he targets them in a way that doesn't ruin you'd dodging ability.

Any fire attack regardless of strength will fill a meter on him. When he becomes stationary every few attacks the meter fills significantly faster so focus on avoidance while he is attacking. After 5ish rounds of fire attack (using fireball and the circle one), he should go into his vulnerable phase where you can actually damage him. Charge Swing is about the only attack that does meaningful damage so it needs to be very high level and chomp as many of the 25% attack pills as you can.

Generally you want to be able to take him down in one vulnerable phase. I don't remember the target numbers for dps but I know I checked them on the discord. I find it easiest to do as warrior but angel might work too for high speed to chip his shield faster.

drat, I had no idea. I should be able to nuke the boss, too, once I pop some pills on my Warrior. Thanks!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://marple.itch.io/orb-of-creation-prototype

Really neat, but short prototype.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Is there a way to increase the Knowledge cap?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Klungar posted:

Is there a way to increase the Knowledge cap?

looks like no. my guess is the two unimplemented features will get you there. I bought everything you can actually get in maybe 30m

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The game could really use any indication that the boosts from Amplify Spells, Hasten, etc. are permanent. :catstare:

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

The game could really use any indication that the boosts from Amplify Spells, Hasten, etc. are permanent. :catstare:

Agreed. It also makes the math interesting for upgrading the orb, since a newly made doubled cost and strength resource spell might not be an upgrade if you've been Amplifying your current one a lot, especially once you factor in your mana regeneration/cap

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Agreed. It also makes the math interesting for upgrading the orb, since a newly made doubled cost and strength resource spell might not be an upgrade if you've been Amplifying your current one a lot, especially once you factor in your mana regeneration/cap

Hell yeah.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

This was a really fast play, but I'd agree that it was a good prototype. It had some good easy ramp, and there's plenty of room for expanding on the theme. I really liked the increasing globals, and turned it off a little too long after there wasn't anything else that could be done at the cap of content. I'd hope it gets more content.

Venuz Patrol posted:

the work order page warns you ahead of time about bad math, so i dont see why anyone is complaining

Work orders are fine. Annoying, but fine. It's the constant balancing of production that's keeping me from spending more time with it. Even using all the beacons I have access to use, I've ended up with too little space to balance the system on the first two maps. That's without changing things to fill work orders. There's some definite frustration in trying to grind up research too, and I'm really limited by low tiers not being able to have enough production to even support 1 square of t4 productions (also Cogs, wtf, I keep getting stuck needing 16 of them for 1 wheel and I have no idea how I screwed up prod/speed bonuses so much, but I know it's because of it), much less run them fast enough to get to buy research more than once or twice a day and also be able to fill work orders.

So I expect the complaining comes from people being unable to catch back up on research, bdsm bonuses, and relics by buying whatever they can as soon as they can. It makes them entirely out of balance in their supply chain that any change screws the whole thing (said because I've done exactly that). And with the researches using t4 juice, it's a hard hole to dig out of, but possible eventually. If you come over from NGU Idle where buying upgrades is basically always going to make the next thing easier, it's a lesson to learn.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Anygoon tried Industry Idle? (I found it on Steam, not sure if it's elsewhere too)

Think I'm about ready to do my first prestige, but not sure what to spend my illegal Swiss bank account :10bux: on.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Jhet posted:

So I expect the complaining comes from people being unable to catch back up on research, bdsm bonuses, and relics by buying whatever they can as soon as they can. It makes them entirely out of balance in their supply chain that any change screws the whole thing (said because I've done exactly that). And with the researches using t4 juice, it's a hard hole to dig out of, but possible eventually. If you come over from NGU Idle where buying upgrades is basically always going to make the next thing easier, it's a lesson to learn.

One thing that helped me laddering up new tech tiers was basically not bothering to build the new tier at all until I had gotten some upgrades. Materials, including tech upgrade materials, drop from the ISOPOD at a pretty decent pace. Instead of taking forever to build all the intermediate materials for a new tier yourself it can be more efficient to simply wait for a few dozen to drop from the ISOPOD while you grind the other upgrade materials you'll need. You can then put those upgrade materials into researches that solve the issues you find while building out your supply chain for the new tier.

BDSM upgrades can help, but it can be difficult to get BDSM consistently in the early game because there's a lot of variance on the size of work orders.

Relics also have some extremely powerful effects on production and don't take that many materials to upgrade. Instead of doing work orders you might look into making sure all your relics are as upgraded as possible if you already haven't.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ErIog posted:

One thing that helped me laddering up new tech tiers was basically not bothering to build the new tier at all until I had gotten some upgrades. Materials, including tech upgrade materials, drop from the ISOPOD at a pretty decent pace. Instead of taking forever to build all the intermediate materials for a new tier yourself it can be more efficient to simply wait for a few dozen to drop from the ISOPOD while you grind the other upgrade materials you'll need. You can then put those upgrade materials into researches that solve the issues you find while building out your supply chain for the new tier.

BDSM upgrades can help, but it can be difficult to get BDSM consistently in the early game because there's a lot of variance on the size of work orders.

Relics also have some extremely powerful effects on production and don't take that many materials to upgrade. Instead of doing work orders you might look into making sure all your relics are as upgraded as possible if you already haven't.

Yeah, I've figured all of it out, but I dug myself a deep hole. It's taken about 3 days to rebalance most of t2-3 from the first map again, but it's caught up okay. I'll unlock the 3rd island and just use it for running more z1 materials for a while. Relics have that speedbump of BDSM too, but getting them slowly coming from isopod leveled it out to where production was. So, there's ways to do it, but I had to duck into the discord to see if there were tips and tricks laying around instead of just starting a new save.

So it's high marks for making me actually think for an incremental game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Ghost of Starman posted:

Anygoon tried Industry Idle? (I found it on Steam, not sure if it's elsewhere too)

Think I'm about ready to do my first prestige, but not sure what to spend my illegal Swiss bank account :10bux: on.

I'm playing it now. Can't figure out for the life of me how to get enough petrol.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Been playing Idle Space Energy Particle Simulator (ISEPS) on my Android phone the last few days and it's pretty fun but maybe a bit simple. You're basically just building big cool looking Winamp Visualizer-rear end particle effects through fairly standard idle game upgrades and rebirth mechanics but I'm digging it for a mobile idler to keep running while I'm working or pop open occasionally to upgrade some stuff.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Does anyone who played Ethereal Farm up to unlocking the 6x6 Ethereal field have a screenshot of it handy? I've been wondering about layouts, and since the Ethereal field is annoying to reset I can't really experiment as much as I'd like.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

KazigluBey posted:

Does anyone who played Ethereal Farm up to unlocking the 6x6 Ethereal field have a screenshot of it handy? I've been wondering about layouts, and since the Ethereal field is annoying to reset I can't really experiment as much as I'd like.

I know it’s annoying, but I’d highly recommend joining the Discord for this game. Lots of map theorycrafting and blueprints to swipe are available there.

That being said, here’s the latest suggested 6x6 Ethereal Field layout:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

KazigluBey posted:

The ethereal field is exactly like the regular field. 6x6 has 2 empty columns, column with the tree in the middle two rows, 3 empty columns. 7x6 the tree is in the 4th column (center) and the other columns are open.

Essentially it's symmetric for odd column sizes and the tree column "rounds left" for even numbers of columns.

Also, "undo" works on the ethereal field, and as of a recent patch 4 delete tokens lets you reset your ethereal field. One of the later challenges gives you a second token each season.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I uhh, I know this. I was asking if people could share their loadouts, since after wiping my EF when I unlocked 6x6 I wanted to know what was good, since it takes like several days to get tokens back if I decide I don't like what I tried.

Klungar posted:

I know it’s annoying, but I’d highly recommend joining the Discord for this game. Lots of map theorycrafting and blueprints to swipe are available there.

That being said, here’s the latest suggested 6x6 Ethereal Field layout:

Thanks for the layout, and thanks but pass on the suggestion to join Discord. e.: I'm going to have to join anyway to decipher the values behind the colors, aren't I? Ugh, why couldn't we have stuck with wikis...

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

KazigluBey posted:

Thanks for the layout, and thanks but pass on the suggestion to join Discord. e.: I'm going to have to join anyway to decipher the values behind the colors, aren't I? Ugh, why couldn't we have stuck with wikis...

Colors are largely unimportant:

B = Berry
M = Mushroom
N = Nettle
T = Tree
A = Automation

Green F = Flower
Black F = Fern

White L = White Lotus
Pink L = Pink Lotus

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Klungar posted:

Colors are largely unimportant:

B = Berry
M = Mushroom
N = Nettle
T = Tree
A = Automation

Green F = Flower
Black F = Fern

White L = White Lotus
Pink L = Pink Lotus

Cool, thanks!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

KazigluBey posted:

Cool, thanks!

Assuming you are also at 6x6 for your main Field, these layouts may be of interest to you as well:

Non-Winter, Pre-Hives

Non-Winter, Post Hives

Winter, Post-Hives

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I'll give these a whirl, I've been using a layout posted to the subreddit, lemme see;

Bottom-left and Bottom of tree swap for Twig plants, lost of stuff swaps for Hives around the top left 'shroom setup and the center-right watercress. It does really well until 30 and then chokes a bit on the way to 35, but that may be lack of Eth upgrades, the old 5x5 Eth Field layout I had, etc... Gonna go try your recommendations, tho!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

KazigluBey posted:

I'll give these a whirl, I've been using a layout posted to the subreddit, lemme see;

Bottom-left and Bottom of tree swap for Twig plants, lost of stuff swaps for Hives around the top left 'shroom setup and the center-right watercress. It does really well until 30 and then chokes a bit on the way to 35, but that may be lack of Eth upgrades, the old 5x5 Eth Field layout I had, etc... Gonna go try your recommendations, tho!

Yeah, that’s quite a suboptimal layout there, you should see much better gains with the ones I posted. And since I see you joined the Discord after all, you should be able to see a bunch of other options there as well.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mayveena posted:

I'm playing it (Industry Idle) now. Can't figure out for the life of me how to get enough petrol.

Yeah, with everything defaulting to 'infinite request range' the moment something needs resources it won't hesitate to request it from the other side of the map, burning through petrol. (And with the tile bonuses it's very easy to end up producing say, 40 oil/s, next to a refinery that wants 44/s, etc.)
(I kinda wish the max request range defaulted to 9 instead of infinite. But you can set max request ranges per building type while adjusting it.)

I've just started smacking down tiny oil well + oil refinery outposts that don't ship resources around. The moment you start shipping oil any meaningful distance it seems like you'll easily burn through more petrol than you earn.
I'm also very amused that while you can make your transport fleet be electric instead of petrol based, all it does is change it that so that they chew though batteries instead of guzzling petrol. As opposed to shifting things so that you need a way stronger power grid to run them instead.

I quite like the game, but I am kind of put off by the fact that it's just a completely blank grid. I'd have loved if there was some basic map with land/water features, even if they were mostly visual.
(Also I really wish the building menu had categories, instead of just listing every single building type you can slap down on a tile.
And it's a bit frustrating that there are -25 to +25% tile benefits, but the only way to discover them is to click every single tile and look at the buildings menu. Really wish I could just select a building and see what bonus it has on all tiles.)

e: Oh huh, the multiplier didn't work the way I expected. It's just a total multiplier for that building every 10 levels.
Levelling up an oil well from lvl 9 to 10 made it go from 90 to 200 oil.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 1, 2021

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Klungar posted:

Assuming you are also at 6x6 for your main Field, these layouts may be of interest to you as well:

Non-Winter, Pre-Hives

Non-Winter, Post Hives

Winter, Post-Hives

Wow I think I never understood how to actually play that game... I always assumed the optimal layouts were just checkerboarding flowers/berries, then dropping into mushroom-focus when that topped out.

I cannot wrap my head around why the blank spaces shouldn't be filled with something, anything, just as one example.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Because between flowers and hives the multipliers are so massive that anything not using them may as well not exist.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
also leveling the tree gives you a production boost so it's worth it to always have some shrooms

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

When I want twigs:

When I don't want twigs:

Probably inefficient somewhere but it pushes me to 33 quickly over and over. I'm just slowly building up that resin for the larger multipliers for twig and resin gains. Might do 20 no-twig runs w/o upgrading just to get the 7x6 field. But at the same time, I need to test and see if getting a third mistletoe in there could get me more than 5k twigs a run so I can hit the auto-tier-unlock challenge.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

DaveKap posted:

When I want twigs

twig me baby I'm all about twigs

sorry I'm stupid and drunk God bless

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Don't forget the first mistletoe is now free so always get twigs.

Like as of yesterday

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Checkerboarding was the name of the game when it first came out, but getting to the point where hives are available changes that at the higher levels, and now that there are tons of automation options that didn’t exist when the game first started, the name of the game is reducing the number of berries that need to be replanted once you unlock a higher tier of production. Most end-game layouts will only have 4 berries, two for seed production, two for spore production, even if having a couple more berries could conceivably help you squeeze out another 5% of production or something.

E: of course, a new mechanism just dropped this morning that may have obsoleted all this advice, so who knows

Klungar fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 1, 2021

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Industry Idle update: On the whole, interesting concept, but I really hate a bunch of the market/player trade systems that ruin it for me. Which is a shame.

It really isn't fun to have a market-price system that wildly fluctuates, but because you have a cap on how much you can export/s per type, and how many types of products you can export, you can't make use of it.
All it serves to do is go 'Oh you spent a bunch of time balancing that PC+Phone production line! Congrats! Your profits are now reduced to 1/3rd because the value of those dropped.'.
Books are currently exporting for more than robots, despite how trivially cheap they are to make... But I still can't make any use of that because I cannot export more than 70 units/s of them anyhow.

The export cap system artificially bottlenecking your profits just makes it all feel so tedious when combined with the super-fluctuating prices. I'd enjoy the game a lot more without the player trade + market price system.
Either go more incremental, or more simulation, this weird wiggle space between them just makes it the worst of both for me.

It doesn't feel satisfying to set up the longer production chains when all too often the game will just go 'tee hee, these smartphones? Why, you'd actually earn more selling the intermediates now, dumbass. ' (Except you can't, because you don't have the export slots needed to do that.)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

SubNat posted:

Industry Idle update: On the whole, interesting concept, but I really hate a bunch of the market/player trade systems that ruin it for me. Which is a shame.

It really isn't fun to have a market-price system that wildly fluctuates, but because you have a cap on how much you can export/s per type, and how many types of products you can export, you can't make use of it.
All it serves to do is go 'Oh you spent a bunch of time balancing that PC+Phone production line! Congrats! Your profits are now reduced to 1/3rd because the value of those dropped.'.
Books are currently exporting for more than robots, despite how trivially cheap they are to make... But I still can't make any use of that because I cannot export more than 70 units/s of them anyhow.

The export cap system artificially bottlenecking your profits just makes it all feel so tedious when combined with the super-fluctuating prices. I'd enjoy the game a lot more without the player trade + market price system.
Either go more incremental, or more simulation, this weird wiggle space between them just makes it the worst of both for me.

It doesn't feel satisfying to set up the longer production chains when all too often the game will just go 'tee hee, these smartphones? Why, you'd actually earn more selling the intermediates now, dumbass. ' (Except you can't, because you don't have the export slots needed to do that.)

what are you going to play next? I'm sorry but the look of NGU Industries is a big turn off for me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is there something that will raise the quality of my NGU cards? It's all a sea of crap not worth the mayo.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

Is there something that will raise the quality of my NGU cards? It's all a sea of crap not worth the mayo.

Same as normal. Perks, quirks, wishes, equip set bonuses. And use tags. And a challenge rewards to help get more mayo/cards. It's pretty spread out, but the only thing worse than bad cards is no cards and a pile of mayo that you never use.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Giving Etheral Farm a try since ya'll still talking about it.

Got to Tree level 10 and did a reset for 11,9 Resin (weird number) and that didn't really change anything? What am i supposed to spend it on? The Discord is kinda disorganised and/or lacking. The only info there is to buy Lotuses in the etheral farm but they cost 50 Resin.
Should i not have reset?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Ineptitude posted:

Giving Etheral Farm a try since ya'll still talking about it.

Got to Tree level 10 and did a reset for 11,9 Resin (weird number) and that didn't really change anything? What am i supposed to spend it on? The Discord is kinda disorganised and/or lacking. The only info there is to buy Lotuses in the etheral farm but they cost 50 Resin.
Should i not have reset?

You were right to reset as soon as you could. The first thing you want to spend Resin on is a Blackberry for your Ethereal Field. The second thing you want to spend Resin on is a second Blackberry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Jhet posted:

Same as normal. Perks, quirks, wishes, equip set bonuses. And use tags. And a challenge rewards to help get more mayo/cards. It's pretty spread out, but the only thing worse than bad cards is no cards and a pile of mayo that you never use.

I mean for Tiers, yeah, but like, I get a handful of Good or Okay or Hot drat cards and an ocean of Bad and Meh .