Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Lmao I've been pretty much checked out on EU4 for a while now, how utterly atrocious must the new release be to get this kind of response?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

ParadoxPlaza never fails to deliver. :allears:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

Lmao I've been pretty much checked out on EU4 for a while now, how utterly atrocious must the new release be to get this kind of response?
saves can randomly delete all nations in the world. There are so many other bugs this wasn't found for two full days.

Interacting with certain ui elements with your camera in the indonesia region can cause the game to hard crash, you can buy and cancel other players construction of monument buildings, etc. Reddit's got a big list where people are seemingly finding unique bugs every other post.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 29, 2021

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Terrible Opinions posted:

saves can randomly delete all nations in the world. There are so many other bugs this wasn't found for two full days.

Interacting with certain ui elements with your camera in the indonesia region can cause the game to hard crash, you can buy and cancel other players construction of monument buildings, etc. I'll look to see if there is a comprehensive list somewhere.

Huh, that actually sounds really bad. I couldn't place that post in proper context, but it sounds like Paradox really screwed things up. I'd really appreciate a write-up, those are always interesting.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It's weird how Paradox definitely got a bit better with their patch release quality since the olden days but have also let it go back completely to poo poo recently

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RabidWeasel posted:

It's weird how Paradox definitely got a bit better with their patch release quality since the olden days but have also let it go back completely to poo poo recently
The recent Stellaris release was actually remarkably stable and lacking major game crashing/breaking bugs, from what I could tell, anyway. Like... apparently they did an internal x.0.1 bugfix patch before releasing the update to the public.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It almost feels like there's some kind of curse which jumps between the different games like you're only allowed so many good patches in a row

Apparently Leviathan at least at one point had the lowest review score of any piece of software on Steam, it's currently at 10% which is... not good.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
reposting the steam leviathan tags for those who don't follow EU because I laugh every time I think about them:

Psychological Horror
Early Access
Memes
Dark Humor
Hentai
Sexual Content
Experimental
Nudity
Dark Comedy
Horror
Gore
Survival Horror
Strategy
Simulation
Anime
Cyberpunk
Dating Sim
Funny
Walking Simulator
Indie

It's truly worth it for all the laughs we are having along the way

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

RabidWeasel posted:

It almost feels like there's some kind of curse which jumps between the different games like you're only allowed so many good patches in a row

Apparently Leviathan at least at one point had the lowest review score of any piece of software on Steam, it's currently at 10% which is... not good.

The worst reviewed game on Steam before this apparently used to be Flatout 3 with 15% positive (closely followed by C&C 4 at 18% lol). If this is at 10% it's easily taking the "worst reviewed piece of software on Steam" crown, Jesus, the Paradox community likes their review bombs but good god this is something else

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Crazycryodude posted:

Staggeringly bad. Missing art, placeholder ui elements, underflowing governing capacity giving huge bonuses, arriving in the New World to find a sea of OPMs with 100 development provinces, the favor and government reform calculations are straight up backwards, whatever this is:

It's loving wild. There was a patch yesterday that I gather fixed the funnier exploits but also it sometimes just glitches your savegame and makes the entire world uncolonizable provinces? Come read the thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840754&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=374#post514300989

I haven't played it yet, but

Beamed posted:

old school paradox is back baby awoo (wolf howl)

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 29, 2021

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's honestly my favorite expansion so far. I'm sad that my Anbennar MP game got busted and we'll have to wait for an update, but these bugs are so entertaining that i can't even be mad.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

RabidWeasel posted:

It’s because their new studio in Barcelona made it

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The one they announced like a week before a union agreement for the Scandinavian studio?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That's the one. As much as I hope Johan et. al are living their best lives in Spain, Paradox Tinto is not exactly off to a great start.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Paradox Grand Strategy: and bugs are THE REASON THIS GAME IS FUN

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Did Tinto mistakenly hire Ubik or something?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Popoto posted:

Mistakenly? The Clausewitz engine is his! :colbert:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It’s because their new studio in Barcelona made it

Crazycryodude posted:

The one they announced like a week before a union agreement for the Scandinavian studio?

I have a feeling this is a get what you pay for situation, unfortunately.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Popoto posted:

Savage own on Johan here

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Everything Paradox tries to do outside of core PDX in Stockholm trends towards disaster over the long term.

Also very often in the short term.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The recent Stellaris release was actually remarkably stable and lacking major game crashing/breaking bugs, from what I could tell, anyway. Like... apparently they did an internal x.0.1 bugfix patch before releasing the update to the public.

Didn't they "fix" the lategame lag by introducing empire-wide pop limits, introducing other problems?

I feel like there's been a decline in quality ever since Paradox went public. As usual, the stock market destroys everything it touches

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

While old pre-stonks Paradox wasn't exactly a bastion of sleek efficient bugless games, despite the massive PR offensive saying nothing would change yeah I definitely think the place has been going steadily downhill ever since. CK series is doing pretty well I guess.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Cantorsdust posted:

I have a feeling this is a get what you pay for situation, unfortunately.

not like there's no good coders in spain. it's probably more of a time issue considering all the missing assets and todo sections in the code. even considering the limited amount of features in the dlc it clearly needed more time in the oven

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

While old pre-stonks Paradox wasn't exactly a bastion of sleek efficient bugless games, despite the massive PR offensive saying nothing would change yeah I definitely think the place has been going steadily downhill ever since. CK series is doing pretty well I guess.

at least pre-stocks it had the excuse of "hey we're a tiny game dev in sweden, what the gently caress do you want from us". when you have $texas at your disposal the acceptable excuses drop to near zero

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I can't speak for ~the community~ but I know all of the shenanigans with subscriptions and the whole White Wolf debacle have both eroded much of my goodwill towards Paradox.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Davincie posted:

not like there's no good coders in spain. it's probably more of a time issue considering all the missing assets and todo sections in the code. even considering the limited amount of features in the dlc it clearly needed more time in the oven

time is the reason post-stonks paradox has kind of sucked. the suits appear to establish deadlines that they refuse to change, schedules that are unrealistic, etc. etc. basically the usual software dev poo poo, and they push poo poo out the door no matter what state it is in when the deadline hits. oh i mean they'll push it back a week or two every once in a while, probably flagellating the devs behind the scenes for "not delivering", but the idea that oh, stellaris is actually 75% unfinished so maybe it shouldn't be launched for another year, or oh, this eu4 patch breaks literally everything so we should delay it for a month - impossible at current paradox.

obviously a dev studio always faces challenges in terms of time and any project could hypothetically be improved with more time, and there were a few moderately scummy episodes pre-IPO like sengoku being released as a full game despite being a tech demo for CK2, but things have trended more and more toward less dev time spent per feature since then.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Jazerus posted:

time is the reason post-stonks paradox has kind of sucked. the suits appear to establish deadlines that they refuse to change, schedules that are unrealistic, etc. etc. basically the usual software dev poo poo, and they push poo poo out the door no matter what state it is in when the deadline hits. oh i mean they'll push it back a week or two every once in a while, probably flagellating the devs behind the scenes for "not delivering", but the idea that oh, stellaris is actually 75% unfinished so maybe it shouldn't be launched for another year, or oh, this eu4 patch breaks literally everything so we should delay it for a month - impossible at current paradox.

obviously a dev studio always faces challenges in terms of time and any project could hypothetically be improved with more time, and there were a few moderately scummy episodes pre-IPO like sengoku being released as a full game despite being a tech demo for CK2, but things have trended more and more toward less dev time spent per feature since then.

I was about to write this exact post but worse. Paradox Tinto is mostly new hires and they've all been working entirely remotely. They were always going to take longer to produce something good than a team of veterans in Stockholm. If Leviathan had come out three weeks later it wouldn't have been great but it probably wouldn't have been an abject disaster either, but management either didn't know the difference or didn't trust the devs. I hope Johan and team were pushing for a delay and have at least won some sort of office politics victory out of this, but maybe that's too optimistic. Either way I feel sorry for the new people at Tinto whose first release at Paradox was forced out before it was ready and are now getting trashed online for decisions their bosses made

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Magissima posted:

getting trashed online for decisions their bosses made

This is gamedev.txt, isn't it?

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Sadly so! Even worse for Paradox employees since they have to read the forum and wade through the personal insults, accusations phrased as questions, and nationalist screeds to get useful feedback and bug reports

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The theory that the evil suits are ruining everything is compelling on the surface but how does it square with the fact that there were exactly 0 DLC releases in 2019? If the suits are setting unrealistic timeframes, how is it that Emperor had a 1.5 year development time?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

BBJoey posted:

The theory that the evil suits are ruining everything is compelling on the surface but how does it square with the fact that there were exactly 0 DLC releases in 2019? If the suits are setting unrealistic timeframes, how is it that Emperor had a 1.5 year development time?

DDRJake was the one at the time pushing for Emperor getting tooons of TLC, and he left Paradox to start streaming just before they announced an interim DLC (the Manchu one IIRC). Might fill in some gaps as to us wondering in the thread at the time why he left.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also you stupid fucks keep voting with your wallets that current paradox policy is good.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Beamed posted:

DDRJake was the one at the time pushing for Emperor getting tooons of TLC, and he left Paradox to start streaming just before they announced an interim DLC (the Manchu one IIRC). Might fill in some gaps as to us wondering in the thread at the time why he left.

If the suits can be persuaded to forego DLC for one and a half years (Manchu was a free patch), why couldn’t Johan get a couple of extra weeks for Leviathan? Noting Johan is the most senior member of dev staff and the guy who more or less set up a new studio so he could move to Spain?

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
Emperor had a bigger scope and presumably also a bigger budget and longer development timeframe. The people who worked on Emperor had more experience and most likely many of them had already worked together as a team. It's much easier to estimate how long a project will take in that environment, and to get it done on time. I'm sure it was also easier for everyone to know how the patch was coming along when they could look at each other's computers, instead of only seeing the game running when you run it yourself.

Like I said before, Tinto is a team of mostly new hires working remotely. In that difficult environment they failed to get the patch done on time. It's something that happens when you're making software and they had two options: delay the release until it's less broken, or release it broken. I'm certain that if the devs had a say it wouldn't have been released broken, but the devs don't make that decision, the evil suits do.

Magissima fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 30, 2021

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

is the paradox user base really demanding constant and steady releases of content over intermittent but polished releases though

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BBJoey posted:

emperor is a notable exception to the general trend. i'm not trying to portray the suits as universally evil or stupid, here - if there are compelling reasons to have a long development cycle, as there were for EU4 after years of short development cycles, they are apparently capable of taking that into account under some circumstances. but in general, they push for less time, less devs, less QA, more features that sound nice on the steam store page, etc. etc.

setting up a new studio in the middle of covid to handle a halfway-complete DLC project for a complex mapgame with fifty million interlocking parts following a change in game director back to johan from ddrjake and the transfer of most of the previous team to other projects could not have been quick or easy. the absolute length of time that the project has been running does not matter; the amount of development time by people familiar with the code does, and there apparently wasn't enough of that for leviathan.

BBJoey posted:

If the suits can be persuaded to forego DLC for one and a half years (Manchu was a free patch), why couldn’t Johan get a couple of extra weeks for Leviathan? Noting Johan is the most senior member of dev staff and the guy who more or less set up a new studio so he could move to Spain?

god only knows why but that was apparently the decision that was made

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Raskolnikov38 posted:

is the paradox user base really demanding constant and steady releases of content over intermittent but polished releases though

Actually yes in that they will usually buy it either way

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

both is the vibe i get tbh

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I suspect Paradox probably had some finance arrangements where they had contracted that they would receive income from Leviathan on a set date. Missing that would lead to large penalties so it had to be released no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

BBJoey posted:

I don't understand what the conflict is here. They were restructuring the company, working on the subscription plans they announced last year, and were working on as-of-yet-unannounced games. Plus the fact that they had a management blunder with White Wolf so bad that it turned into an international incident at the end of 2018.

I don't think anyone's accusing Paradox's leadership of being especially well-coordinated or on the ball. "Why didn't they release anything in 2019?" is perfectly compatible with that.