Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Casscading asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Country minis make do.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Considering some things I've seen in this thread, some lovingly painted plumbers crack is really tame.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Isn't MiG also the company that put out the Warcrimes: Masterclass Painting book a while back?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Springfield Fatts posted:

Isn't MiG also the company that put out the Warcrimes: Masterclass Painting book a while back?

That was AK Interactive

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Floppychop posted:

poo poo like the "Washington Redskins" is certainly not respect. And those models I can't quite decide, but the redface is tipping it heavily against the artist.

It's probably supposed to look like this:

Painting your face/body before battle was a real thing that was done. I'm not saying it's right or wrong on that 40K model, just that the painter probably wasn't going for "red skin."

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

well I mean

:agreed:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

AndyElusive posted:

https://www.instagram.com/muddybrushpainting/?hl=en

I don't know where this falls under the bad taste category.

The dude is white as hell from his picture but like, who knows what his background is.

So while I'm not entirely sure it's cultural appropriation, it sure feels like cultural appropriation.

i dont know if its cultural appropriation to paint space fascist native americans, but it definitely seems tacky as poo poo

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 28, 2021

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Nebalebadingdong posted:

i dont know if its cultural appropriation to paint space fascist native americans, but it definitely seems tacky as poo poo

about as tacky as space sharks with their Polynesian tattoo designs on their armour or Aztec lizards and frogs.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

I may not be able to unsee this.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Goddammit Scale75 :cripes:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Winklebottom posted:

this company is embarrassment

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

This absolutely rules and is a fantastic palette cleanser after the rest of this page.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Winklebottom posted:

:ohno:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

haha hitler oh man remember him?! how wacky!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

them and AK do some weird-rear end poo poo

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I love it when this thread circles around to things that are awesome. More Bubblegum Orks and Thundercats Vampire Counts please

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Winklebottom posted:

A very well done thing that should not have been done in the first place.

I kind of like the idea of a line of historical busts as orks.

Winston Churchork
Napoleon Orkaparte
Ghengork Khan
Leonardo Da'orky
Ork ShakingSpear

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Winklebottom posted:

Why the gently caress would someone do this

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Winklebottom posted:

Everyone in this thread is probably familiar with this but just in case this isn't scale75's first weird nazi glorification.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scale75/the-eagles-of-the-wwii-luftwaffe

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

isn’t basically every hobby company with a focus on military history and stuff the same

I feel like they’ve all had to put out a statement or two over the years containing phrases like “purely historical interest”

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

jesus WEP posted:

isn’t basically every hobby company with a focus on military history and stuff the same

I feel like they’ve all had to put out a statement or two over the years containing phrases like “purely historical interest”

"Its just a weird coincidence that the vast majority of our customers and staff have ties to white supremacy groups, we're just here for the historical interests!"

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

As far as I know Vallejo hasn't.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Fashionable Jorts posted:

"Its just a weird coincidence that the vast majority of our customers and staff have ties to white supremacy groups, we're just here for the historical interests!"

Would love to see the article on this. News to me

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Fashionable Jorts posted:

"Its just a weird coincidence that the vast majority of our staff have ties to white supremacy groups

do they really

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Nebalebadingdong posted:

do they really

I dunno about this company specifically, but there have been other groups that make an uncomfortable number of nazi-fetishization minis who have had that revealed.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Cat Face Joe posted:

Everyone in this thread is probably familiar with this but just in case this isn't scale75's first weird nazi glorification.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scale75/the-eagles-of-the-wwii-luftwaffe

They removed the main text of the KS, so I can't gather all the details, but one thing I noticed is that they advertise shipping to Germany... Which, as far as I know, is still pretty strict about buying and owning things with Swastikas on them. It's not really illegal (as long as you're not showing it off in public), but I've heard plenty of stories of Customs flat out denying your package if they see one.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Winklebottom posted:

There's a weirdly large amount of Nazi Orc stuff out there. Wasn't it also a thing with 40k Orks for awhile?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

The Moon Monster posted:

There's a weirdly large amount of Nazi Orc stuff out there. Wasn't it also a thing with 40k Orks for awhile?

40k orks started off as parody of English football hooligans, then GW saw a chance to take the piss out of neo Nazis by modelling stormboys off them.

The idea was that they were Ork youths rebelling against mainstream Ork society by being disciplined and tidy.

GW moved away from social commentary as the company became bigger and started answering to share holders.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Ugleb posted:

GW moved away from social commentary as the company became bigger and started answering to share holders.

I can remember seeing paint jobs that lovingly played up the Nazi angle, so regardless of their intent to be satire, it's a wise move given certain currents in their fandom.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

It seriously bothers me that Cheetara doesn't have a staff. Otherwise :perfect:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

EverettLO posted:

I can remember seeing paint jobs that lovingly played up the Nazi angle, so regardless of their intent to be satire, it's a wise move given certain currents in their fandom.

The problem with parody or satire is that some people don't get it, or just ignore it, and double down hard glorifying the thing. Or, people can mistake the intent and think that GW themselves are celebrating the Nazis.

It's a thin line to tread. I think it was a direction that was more relevant in the 80's and became less topical as the 90's passed by.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I mean the old ork lore specifically mentions how the adult orks would beat the stormboy attitude out of them, so not sure how people misread it so bad as to make entire loving nazi ork armies

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Because people are stupid

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

the fart question posted:

Because people are stupid
This is a good rule for life

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Froghammer posted:

This is a good rule for life

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Ugleb posted:

GW moved away from the game having soul, you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008