Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I used to do the dodge build stuff too but I found myself standing in the open and awkwardly turning around to shoot at cops a lot in VR so stacking heavy armor definitely helps. Seated would probably work fine, you can pick things up without having to physically touch it as long as you reach your hand out close enough to it so there shouldn't be a whole lot of crouching necessary.

I did forget how much fun it is hearing Ron Perlman shouting at cops in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Have they actually done any work on the VR side of things or is still very much a cool little toy though? I tried for so long to get a left-handed setup where you could hold guns in your left hand and move with the left analog stick but it was an impossible nightmare.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The only thing is you have to crouch in order to go under fences in a couple spaces in a couple maps, but it doesn't come up very often at all. And like I said, it may only be for stealth that you have to do it.

I have seen it called out as an accessibility concern though. I *think* I saw a mod that lets you bind crouch...

Pierson posted:

Have they actually done any work on the VR side of things or is still very much a cool little toy though? I tried for so long to get a left-handed setup where you could hold guns in your left hand and move with the left analog stick but it was an impossible nightmare.

I wouldn't call it a "cool little toy" I've put dozens of hours into it, if its a cool toy then everything that isn't Alyx is a cool toy :cheeky:

But there's lots of VR related mods that could help you tweak things if they're not working great ATM

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
What're the best replacement wrist straps or grips or whatever for the Oculus Quest 2 Touch controllers? The AMVR controllers on Amazon have a bunch of reviews say they don't fit the Quest 2 controllers.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Not saying they are the best, but there is a quest 2 version in a separate listing.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Update on my struggles with Air Link:
It turns out the key to getting my computer recognized was to turn off the Quest's wifi and turn it back on. Every time my computer goes missing that fixes it.

And with that, Air Link is now working perfectly and holy poo poo it is PERFECT. I was able to crank it up to a fixed 200mbps, crank the resolution slider up to 1.5x, and set it to 90hz and it feels like I just got a new headset. The fidelity is amazing.

I loaded up Moss and just sitting in one of those environments was one of the most immersive experiences I've had in VR. Feels so different compared to playing it on the Rift S.

I'm really impressed, especially with this all running so nicely on my 6 year old 980 ti.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Tip posted:

It turns out the key to getting my computer recognized was to turn off the Quest's wifi and turn it back on. Every time my computer goes missing that fixes it.

And with that, Air Link is now working perfectly and holy poo poo it is PERFECT. I was able to crank it up to a fixed 200mbps, crank the resolution slider up to 1.5x, and set it to 90hz and it feels like I just got a new headset. The fidelity is amazing.

I loaded up Moss and just sitting in one of those environments was one of the most immersive experiences I've had in VR. Feels so different compared to playing it on the Rift S.

I'm really impressed, especially with this all running so nicely on my 6 year old 980 ti.

gently caress, these were not the words I needed to hear. I love my Rift S but the low res screen is getting kind of old.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I havent tried the index but my new Quest 2 screen seems about as good as the pimax 5k I used to own, obviously worse fov but.. For 299. With perfect wireless gameplay. It's honestly still blowing my mind. Leagues beyond the Vive though I miss a bit of the vibrancy in colour.

Simple things like just looking at your gravity glove in Alyx are so much better. I had no idea how intricate that thing was.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tip posted:

Where do you find the Air Link settings? I didn’t mess with it too much but all I could see was the option to turn it on and then to pair it with my computer.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Fallom posted:

Where do you find the Air Link settings? I didn’t mess with it too much but all I could see was the option to turn it on and then to pair it with my computer.

When you're in Air Link and you pull up the Oculus menu there should be an Air Link button on the far right of the bottom buttons. Some of the settings are in there.

The other half of the settings are in the Oculus app on the PC. You have to go to your devices and click on the Quest 2 and a panel will pop out from the right that includes your Air Link preferences.

It's kind of annoying that it's not all in one place, but with Air Link on you can at least just pull up your desktop in the headset to get to the Oculus app. Unfortunately, some of the settings require restarting the Oculus app which ends the air link and makes it a slightly annoying process to play with settings.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Got an issue with Airlink on the Quest 2, I can connect to my PC but when I hit the "Launch" button after connecting I get black screen with a loading icon, and on my PC I get two notifications, one about the headset being disconnected that comes straight after hitting Launch, and then another saying something like "Oculus is not working properly" that comes about 30 seconds later, at which point I get dropped back to the home area in VR. Anyone else seen this?

e: Link with a cable works fine

chippy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 29, 2021

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Seems similar to what happened when I was using adb commands to directly launch AirPlay before it got official turned on. Try restarting your PC and your headset. Restarting the headset can solve all sorts of weird issues.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
There's an open beta for a hip tracker that runs on an android phone over at https://www.deca.net/decahub-beta/. I gave it a whirl on H3VR via airlink and normally doing any sort of non teleport locomotion is stomach churning for me but this somehow managed to solve that. Playing that xmas wave mode with zero wires and not teleporting around was a different experience.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Enderzero posted:

Finally! Nice. Hey, try out Pop One if you get a chance, I’d like to know if you have trouble reloading like I am.

I haven’t forgotten about you, I just fell asleep in deep space in elite dangerous last night so I didn’t get a chance lol

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I haven’t forgotten about you, I just fell asleep in deep space in elite dangerous last night so I didn’t get a chance lol

Haha no worries bud, I moved this week so I’ve been busy with other stuff. It’ll be cool to see if it’s an issue, I have a feeling it is a thing, what with the talk about H3 and a thread on Reddit about some sort of smoothing.

In the new place I have a 10x13 space for VR and so I needed an upgrade from a yoga mat and I may have gone a little nuts and got two 4x10 gymnastics mats. 2 inch thick serious vinyl. One arrived but the other looks delayed...soon it’s gonna be a pretty solid set up.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Still no airlink option for me. What sort of song and dance do you have to get up in order to get steam stuff going? Or is that even possible?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Armitage_Shanks posted:

There's an open beta for a hip tracker that runs on an android phone over at https://www.deca.net/decahub-beta/. I gave it a whirl on H3VR via airlink and normally doing any sort of non teleport locomotion is stomach churning for me but this somehow managed to solve that. Playing that xmas wave mode with zero wires and not teleporting around was a different experience.

Interesting, gonna try this tonight with Payday and see what it's like.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I got v28 two days ago and yesterday in order for Airlink to show up I had to reset experimental features to default and reset the headset. Hope that helps anyone else who is on V28 but wondering why it's not there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
HTC's hyping their VIVECON event with a second teaser image that gives away the rest of the HMD (when combined with the first) and it's definitely copying the Quest's 4-camera layout. Certainly isn't looking to be a SteamVR device, either unless the render's omitting the surface-level dots the Index has. The front also looks to be a single solid piece, and the wrong shape, so likely no Elite faceplate mount either.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Someone release a pcvr headset with outside in tracking in the next year or two so I'm not SOL when my index inevitably takes a poo poo tia

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Facebook's giving their employee's free Quest 2's.

And I'm sure that will in no way be used to monitor them at home.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I didn't expect anyone making a game about woodwork. That's VR for you.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1344530/vrkshop/

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Nalin posted:

Seems similar to what happened when I was using adb commands to directly launch AirPlay before it got official turned on. Try restarting your PC and your headset. Restarting the headset can solve all sorts of weird issues.

Hmmm, thanks, I have restarted everything several times to no avail. I raised a support ticket, but they took one look at my logs and told me my system spec is too low. Which to be fair, it is (I'm planning on a building a new system but can't seem to get a graphics card in the UK at the moment), but I don't think that is the main problem as Oculus Link with a cable and Virtual Desktop over wireless both work, albeit with not amazing performance. But I guess because my spec is low, I'm considered "unsupported" and they won't look into it any further than that.

I've seen various people on Reddit who *do* meet the minimum spec and have the same issue, too. My assumption is that it's a bug, hopefully enough people that aren't me will report it for it to be looked at and fixed.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What type of monitoring do you think they’re doing?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

I didn't expect anyone making a game about woodwork. That's VR for you.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1344530/vrkshop/

Somewhat related, still working on my welding bullshit.

https://twitter.com/rectus_sa/status/1382796370537541634

It would be a lot nicer if literally everything SteamVR related in UE4 wasn't completely broken though. I got most of it fixed, but the frame synchronization is still completely hosed up and I can't get any answers about it anywhere.

I mean look at this poo poo. And that's just when it still manages to fire off the frames in time.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Got around to trying that Muppet looking Oculus game. It’s pretty good and goes hard in its style but the principle “thumbs up/down”interaction has been inconsistent for me. You can just use a button instead but that’s no fun.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This isn't the :iceburn: you think it is. Facebook employees benefits are incredibly rich, to keep talent from walking away from the soulless corporation. You can buy any video game you want and get it reimbursed as long as you state that said game "helps with your mental or emotional state". Many, many other lifestyle costs are reimbursed by the company as well.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

DelphiAegis posted:

This isn't the :iceburn: you think it is. Facebook employees benefits are incredibly rich, to keep talent from walking away from the soulless corporation. You can buy any video game you want and get it reimbursed as long as you state that said game "helps with your mental or emotional state". Many, many other lifestyle costs are reimbursed by the company as well.

My guess is that gifting a $300 device to a FB employee is barely a lil' perk, nothing more for someone with a $80-120K income. The equivalent of my company gifting me a 60€ gift card on Christmas.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Beats getting an email thanking you for not being allowed to work from home during the pandemic

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Hell, my friend works for Harmonix (yes, they still exist) and they’re given an $800 stipend a year to spend on personal gaming hardware.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Enderzero posted:

Haha no worries bud, I moved this week so I’ve been busy with other stuff. It’ll be cool to see if it’s an issue, I have a feeling it is a thing, what with the talk about H3 and a thread on Reddit about some sort of smoothing.

In the new place I have a 10x13 space for VR and so I needed an upgrade from a yoga mat and I may have gone a little nuts and got two 4x10 gymnastics mats. 2 inch thick serious vinyl. One arrived but the other looks delayed...soon it’s gonna be a pretty solid set up.

I tried pop 1 last night and reloading seems pretty OK for me. I missed the bolt lever a couple times but I’m not willing to blame it on anything but me.

Now, I will say, I reload at mere mortal speed. If you’re doing the whole vapelifeyo jazz hands routine, I can’t test that for you lol

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://www.pcgamer.com/oculus-will-sell-you-a-quest-2-headset-that-doesnt-need-facebook-for-an-extra-dollar500/

Warbird
May 23, 2012

“Oculus will sell you an enterprise version of their headset with a support agreement for lots of money just like every other HMD” just doesn’t make for a good headline I guess.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Again, I’m just hopeful someone manages to figure out how to install the enterprise firmware on the regular quest

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

So the quest 2 elite strap broke... for the second time. I RMA'd it the first time, but this time I want to just try to glue and tape it, it took like 2 weeks last time, and I'll probably just break it again anyway from having to rip the headset off quickly all the time. Tape works okay but it slowly slides apart and needs to be retaped.

Any suggestions? Maybe I should look up some of that warhammer plastic glue that melts the plastic back together?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Turin Turambar posted:

My guess is that gifting a $300 device to a FB employee is barely a lil' perk, nothing more for someone with a $80-120K income. The equivalent of my company gifting me a 60€ gift card on Christmas.

Lol, FB employees make WAY more than $80k-120k.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Again, I’m just hopeful someone manages to figure out how to install the enterprise firmware on the regular quest

Yeah, that would be cool. I'd imagine the whole store experience would be broken though. Even just a "This really only works as a VD headset" would be worth $299 though.

Butt Discussin posted:

So the quest 2 elite strap broke... for the second time. I RMA'd it the first time, but this time I want to just try to glue and tape it, it took like 2 weeks last time, and I'll probably just break it again anyway from having to rip the headset off quickly all the time. Tape works okay but it slowly slides apart and needs to be retaped.

Any suggestions? Maybe I should look up some of that warhammer plastic glue that melts the plastic back together?

RMA it again and probably go with something else.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Has anyone made a strap better than the Vive DAS yet? I stupidly sold mine to my brother with the Q1, and the elite strap is quite the step down.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

I wouldn't call it a "cool little toy" I've put dozens of hours into it, if its a cool toy then everything that isn't Alyx is a cool toy :cheeky:

But there's lots of VR related mods that could help you tweak things if they're not working great ATM
I didn't realise there were mods. I think I talked about this a few months ago but my main problem is that I wanted to be able to hold and shoot guns with my left hand while also using the left analog stick to locomate around, and no combination of options could make that happen, even stepping outside of the into the Index bindings themselves. That mod might solve it, I'll give it a try, thanks!

edit: Lol the game is 74GB now, good god.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pierson posted:

I haven't tried it but there is an option to change which hand you hold guns with and movement is done with the left stick already, so unless it reverses that when you choose left handed mode (which, it might I suppose) I think this would be possible with the tools in game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I haven't worked with an enterprise Quest 2 but I strongly suspect "no facebook accounts" doesn't mean "no logins", it means "a much more tightly controlled and centralised login system to control how these devices are being used".