Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Yesterday I upgraded the firmware of my boat's battery charger. Over bluetooth.

Weird future we live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

We have a Gulfstar 50 in the fleet, great boat. Built like a brick shithouse, handles like a brick shithouse. If I was going to spend the rest of my life floating around on a boat a Gulfstar is definitely near the top of the list.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
So...shithouse is a compliment? Got it.

Good bote. I would love it, too.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

dialhforhero posted:

So...shithouse is a compliment? Got it.

Good bote. I would love it, too.

A shithouse (or outhouse) is a temporary building to keep wind/rain/eyes off you while you're making GBS threads outside. To build one out of brick is considered overly sturdy/reliable. They are also not known for handling well.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 26, 2021

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

dialhforhero posted:

What ARE the look for-s and do/don'ts of buying a sailboat, though? I think the other intimidating thing is "What is a good brand/model" and since almost all boats on the market seem to be used, how can you avoid getting a lovely boat? I hear all the time how buying a boat is the best worst decision ever and I think a lot of that comes down to naivete or ignorance in boats. Just like a house, you won't know what is wrong until you live in it but I mean, now that I own a 100 year old house I know what the gently caress to look for! Unfortunately, working on boats isn't like working on a car and it seems like it is waaaaaay easier to buy a bad boat unknowingly versus a car.

I am TOTALLY ignorant on this kind of stuff so any advice would be nice.

Things like:
-Where/who should you buy a boat from?
-Who should inspect the boat before purchase?
-Marina costs and marina choice
-What sort of scheduled maintenance are you expecting and their costs?
-What will probably go wrong?
-What brands are good? What brands are iffy? What are safe boats?

If I'm looking to just day sail and chill in the water, or be near a beach in a large bay or in the Atlantic, what is an easy sailboat to do that with? I don't need a sporty racer, I want something that can comfortably fit 6 people and have a small cabin with galley and couch/bed/table conversion kind of area or something. Being able to sail down the coastline safely would be an added plus.

Buying a boat 100% is a terrible idea and nobody should do it, but yet we still do. This is the wrong forum for getting talked out of bad ideas. :haw:

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Elmnt80 posted:

Buying a boat 100% is a terrible idea and nobody should do it, but yet we still do. This is the wrong forum for getting talked out of bad ideas. :haw:

The one exception is if you're within a couple hours drive of me and it's a coolboat I want to ride, in which case there's literally never been a better time to buy!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

This forum is one of the worst enablers in my life.

(I still don't own a boat, though)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Boats are great!... And by that I mean great holes in the water you pour money into :v:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I mean there certainly are days where I daydream selling my house and buying a 6 figure boat to live on. For you know, reasons.

Phantasy reasons.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

dialhforhero posted:

I mean there certainly are days where I daydream selling my house and buying a 6 figure boat to live on. For you know, reasons.

Hrngg.
I moved from the midwest to the west coast, took some sailing lessons, and now I own about a dozen books on sailing yacht design with at least two different hull design programs on my PC. I want to DESIGN a boat and live on it. That's REALLY never going to happen.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

boxen posted:

Hrngg.
I moved from the midwest to the west coast, took some sailing lessons, and now I own about a dozen books on sailing yacht design with at least two different hull design programs on my PC. I want to DESIGN a boat and live on it. That's REALLY never going to happen.

Never say never! What if your nose happens to be the same shape as a revolutionary new keel design that could win the America's Cup?!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

What ARE the look for-s and do/don'ts of buying a sailboat, though? I think the other intimidating thing is "What is a good brand/model" and since almost all boats on the market seem to be used, how can you

Like the others have said, find a local sailing buddy. They're not hard to find, skippers are always looking for more crew for beercan races. Local skipper can steer you towards a good deal, or avoid 20 years of deferred maintenance. Each market is different, the tends to be more of a type of boat in the geographic region of a particular boat yard. Outside of california nobody has heard of a Moore 24, a 1970s design that's one of the most popular keel boats in the area. Same with Express 27/37

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

boxen posted:

Hrngg.

Well not with that attitude.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Does anyone know how in the olden times people got dry and warm? Like in the 1400s or whatever. Imagine you’re sailing by the Arctic, you’re wet as hell and absolutely freezing. How tf do you get warm??? You probably couldn’t have a fire on an old wooden boat rifht?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Karma Comedian posted:

Well not with that attitude.

I approach life with casual pessimism, it leads to being pleasantly surprised more often. :D

Honestly, over the last year I've been trying to buy a house, and the market for that is mental. To build a boat of the size I'd ideally want (40+ feet), I'd need around a 1/4" acre lot, with at least 15' wide trailer access to the site... that's difficult to find in a metro area. Don't have to live on the same land as the boat is being built on, but I'd need access to the land for years, if not decades. All of this is before material and design costs, I'd probably hire a naval architect to look over the plans, cost of mast and rigging, electronics....
Plus, all the money I would spend on building a boat is money spent on not just buying something I like well enough and going sailing on a not-perfect-dream-boat.

Still, it's fun to think about. In AI, how many people dream of what'd sort of machine they'd build if they had time and money?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

Does anyone know how in the olden times people got dry and warm? Like in the 1400s or whatever. Imagine you’re sailing by the Arctic, you’re wet as hell and absolutely freezing. How tf do you get warm??? You probably couldn’t have a fire on an old wooden boat rifht?

Sand and bricks could make a hearth for cooking: https://collection.thedockyard.co.uk/objects/8916

To keep warm in general, though, I think you just wore lots of clothes.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Bape Culture posted:

There were indeed fires on a ship, but it was mostly for cooking.

Also: layers! Layering makes you look fab-u-lous! And it's alllllll wool and linen.

That being said: people loving died a lot and not just from hypothermia.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

boxen posted:

Hrngg.
...at least two different hull design programs on my PC...

This is a thing?!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Erwin posted:

This is a thing?!

Delftship is the #1
Freeship is supposedly a cone clone

General workflow seems to be to design it on free licence of delftship, then autocad 360 from the final delftship file, and then print via 3D printer

I ordered a 3D printer a couple weeks ago with the intent on designing and printing some boat hulls

On a sidenote, I have an extra copy of Robert Perry's naval architecture book if someone needs one, I think he sold the last new copy last month

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Just saw my boat written about in a book by Bruce Roberts

Wow

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

As if having one boat isn't dumb enough, we bought another this week.

She's a 1998 Formula 34PC and has all the creature comforts: generator, AC, etc that will allow us to stay aboard on weekends this summer.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Erwin posted:

This is a thing?!

Hadlock posted:

Delftship is the #1

General workflow seems to be to design it on free licence of delftship, then autocad 360 from the final delftship file, and then print via 3D printer

Delftship is one, Polycad is the other. Polycad has a free 30 day trial, then you just email the dude who made it and ask for a key.

The 3D print thing is something I plan on doing hopefully in the next year or so. Probably won't bother making an actual sailable model, but still something maybe 2-3 feet long.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Delftship is the #1

I ordered a 3D printer a couple weeks ago with the intent on designing and printing some boat hulls

On a sidenote, I have an extra copy of Robert Perry's naval architecture book if someone needs one, I think he sold the last new copy last month

Thanks! I have a 3d printer and have wanted a desktop model of our boat, so maybe this will help me make that happen.

Karma Comedian posted:

Just saw my boat written about in a book by Bruce Roberts

Wow
That's awesome! All I know of Bruce Roberts is from Matt Rutherford talking about his Bruce Roberts 65(?) on his Single-Handed Sailing podcast. He's got a non-profit that uses sailboats to do scientific research in the arctic and got the BR 65 to stand up to the ice. Looking at your post history you called it a "spray 40". I assume it's modeled after Joshua Slocum's boat?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Scrapez posted:

As if having one boat isn't dumb enough, we bought another this week.

She's a 1998 Formula 34PC and has all the creature comforts: generator, AC, etc that will allow us to stay aboard on weekends this summer.

What’s she currently rocking for engines? Twin 454s?

I googled the model to take a quick look and that’s an impressive price range:

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Yes twin 454s. This one has inboards which is a change for me. I've always had outdrives on my boats.

That is quite the price range. This one was definitely toward the lower end of that scale. Needs a few things but nothing major. Has been slipped and maintained at my marina for the last 10 years so I know it's been fairly well taken care of.

I have a 4 year old so having a generator/AC while on the water will be a game changer.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Kesper North posted:

Never say never! What if your nose happens to be the same shape as a revolutionary new keel design that could win the America's Cup?!

This is an exceptionally obscure reference. Could you please pass the salt?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

This is an exceptionally obscure reference. Could you please pass the salt?

Thank you! I'd love to, but I'm afraid I never did get the hang of Thursdays.

bigdookie
Nov 21, 2005
The Awesome!
Grimey Drawer

dialhforhero posted:

Ahoy.

I just got into sailing, and took a weekend long basic keelboat course with a reputable non-profit here in my town that has US Sail instructors. We spent 20 hours on Harbor 20s and even though I had the itch before, now I got a big drat rash for sailing.

As I develop my skills I have a question about bigger sailing boats and that is: how the hell did you get into sailing a bigger boat? How much more difficult or complex is it? I see these beautiful 24+ footers with small cabins that I would absolutely LOVE to have (my idea is to have a boat that I can do two things with: just cruise around my area and the Chesapeake Bay, as well as maybe sail with my family down south along the east coast to South Carolina and be able to either find a stopping point or overnight on the boat at a mooring, etc.).

Now, I still need a lot of practice but I have a very good concept of basic seamanship and being at the tiller and controlling my mainsheet on the Harbor 20 is something I am fast getting comfortable with. I can approach/identify my points of sail well and I know when to ease out and trim my main/jib.

But when I look at these bigger boats I wonder how the hell you can do them casually, much less solo. Is everything really the same? Do they also have the same lines you pull, etc. in the cockpit? I just look and feel overwhelmed.

TL;DR: How do you 'graduate' to a bigger boat? Aka: how do you get into a cruiser/pocket cruiser?

Where are you on the Chesapeake? I started with hanging out on a friend's too-big-for-him Bristol 35, that was a handful. After that I purchased my own beat to poo poo Catalina 25, started out with always suckering in at least one friend to go out. Since then I have moved up to a very nicely kept Catalina 27. What I believe is the perfect size for me and a small family in shallow waters. I also am now in a very still / well protected marina. Docking and undocking is really the trickiest thing when I go out solo. Start slow, go out on calm days, and just gradually get more familiar with things.

The premise is the same, every boat is a little bit different. I even raced in frostbite this past winter on another Catalina 27, still had differences compared to mine, there is always some adjustment required.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Got on a Thistle with some juniors who needed a club member to go Portsmouth racing last night.

I now remember why I stopped sailing Thistles. I can still out-hike those little shits though.

First over the water in all 3 races but I think a Laser or two probably got us corrected.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

bigdookie posted:

Where are you on the Chesapeake? I started with hanging out on a friend's too-big-for-him Bristol 35, that was a handful. After that I purchased my own beat to poo poo Catalina 25, started out with always suckering in at least one friend to go out. Since then I have moved up to a very nicely kept Catalina 27. What I believe is the perfect size for me and a small family in shallow waters. I also am now in a very still / well protected marina. Docking and undocking is really the trickiest thing when I go out solo. Start slow, go out on calm days, and just gradually get more familiar with things.

The premise is the same, every boat is a little bit different. I even raced in frostbite this past winter on another Catalina 27, still had differences compared to mine, there is always some adjustment required.

I am in the Hampton Roads area. If I were in the market to buy, I have been eyeing/dreaming of a Catalina 30 and similar hull sizes. I want something I can spend a while day on and possibly take out, and stay on, for a weekend that will have the roominess for friends and size to not feel like you’re getting too pounded around in light waves.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Crunchy Black posted:

Got on a Thistle ... but I think a Laser or two probably got us corrected.

Just curious, but how does, uh, dinghy-PHRF work, and does it account for skipper weight etc? I never really looked into it but I just assumed that all dinghies were one design for some reason

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I'll be completely honest with you, Hadlock, I have no loving clue. There, apparently, is some sort of Portsmouth "yardstick" rule; I'd reckon it makes about as much sense as IOR does to PHRF. I was just trimming jib and ripping my abdominals apart.

Mostly it's just fun to get out on a little boat and remember what its like to be a kid again and get your hair wet hiking. :)

I just checked and the Club doesn't publish results for Portsmouth like they do Wednesday PHRF, via email. I texted the skipper to see whats up.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I got this stupid toy for my birthday. I'm literally James Bond now.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That owns

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Splashed last weekend, got the mast on today. The first time we took the mast off and on it was just intensely confusing and scary and took forever because we just had no idea what we were doing. This is our third season now so things went a lot smoother, with just one small mishap. Note to self: mast cranes have one heck of a lot of mechanical advantage, so if things suddenly start feeling heavier, don't push it or you'll end up like this poor guy:

7/16" turnbuckle screw for the shrouds, tragically got stuck and bent out of shape on the way up. It's probably bronze and not stainless though so the forces involved weren't all that huge. Fortunately we had not one but two spare turnbuckles in storage for occasions like this so things could proceed.

This brings me to a question though. How do y'all lock your turnbuckles? On the borrowed boat I used to sail on we locked them with stainless steel rings like cavemen and it was a huge pain in the rear end involving pliers, bleeding and swearing. On this boat we have two solutions, one of which is also a pain and which I want to get rid of. The damaged screw had that one, so I replaced it. The solution we have that I do like is similar to a product I see on the US market called the Johnson handy-lock, but not exactly the same. We had one spare so I installed that one on the replacement turnbuckle, but I can't find it for sale here anymore and I don't know where the previous owner got them (they're now on 5 out of the 6 turnbuckles we have). The handles are really neat to have when tensioning and it's really convenient to lock and unlock. The mainstream alternative here seem to be a thing called sure-clip which is basically just a snap-on pin. I guess I could get that but I'll miss the handles. Sorry for the rambling - any thoughts?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
/

Rime fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 6, 2022

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I've bent a few lower t-bolts raising my Catalina 22's mast, I'd imagine I'd bend even more if I had fixed forks like that. I carry spares.

As for securing the turnbuckles, I have a two different methods because I have kind of a hodgepodge of turnbuckle hardware. I've got some older fittings that don't have a hole for locking at the end of the thread, so I have left/right handed nuts to lock the turnbuckles. Where I've replaced the hardware and have the holes, I use small-gauge stainless steel welding rod as safety wire. I cut a 6-8" piece and run it through both ends, and then bend it back towards the center of the turnbuckle and then wrap the deal with e-tape so it can't snag anything (also have PVC pipe rollers over the h/w is it's not a problem.) It looks like poo poo but it's cheap, easy and works.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

This thing is awesome.

Splashed my Spray a week ago! She floats! :woop:

Her rudder post leaks! :negative:

Looks like it's just a stuffing issue though.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

TheFluff posted:

This brings me to a question though. How do y'all lock your turnbuckles?
Varies based on the boat/application/rules.

ex.: Melges 24 guys use the handled turnbuckles cause they can adjust on the fly. We're not allowed to adjust rig tension on the J24 unless between races and its actually illegal to do so once the P flag is up.

On the Flying Tiger we used scar pins which are the velcro bits with metal that go through the hole in the end of the standing. On the J90 we...don't give a gently caress because it's solid rod and if we do something to move those buckles, we've hosed up.

My advice, if you're worried, get a couple of short pieces of Dyneema and tie all the buckles on each side together, I've seen plenty of folks do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

TheFluff posted:

This brings me to a question though. How do y'all lock your turnbuckles?

On the shark the inner and outer turnbuckles are right beside each other, so we just loop a small rope through the open space in the turnbuckles connecting the inners and outers together so that they can't rotate.