Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
BSS: Batman's Scrappy Sidekick › Post Funny Panels: He is the most beautiful horse

Top of Page Edit:
Taskmaster #1

Bucnasti fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Speaking of Beta Ray Bill...

(From Thor & Power Pack the Warriors Four)

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Pastry of the Year posted:

Hercules: *whallops half a dozen quarreling C-listers (and the Hulk) with a huge tree*

Iron Man: okay cool you got this, bye

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that the lettering runs opposite to his swing's apparent arc?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New Wave Jose posted:

This is how Batman could really change the world

It usually comes up whenever someone starts questioning his methods that in addition to the beating up criminals part Bruce also runs a bunch of charities and jobs programs. Its just one of those things that never actually changes the status quo because then you don't have a comic book.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Thor's a huge dick in Donny Cates' book.

>:[ Does that man's evil know no bounds.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bucnasti posted:

BSS: Batman's Scrappy Sidekick › Post Funny Panels: He is the most beautiful horse

Top of Page Edit:
Taskmaster #1

My friend wondered why Taskmaster even bothers with crime when he can just literally be The Best At Sports, and now we both want to see more pictures of Taskmaster doing sports. Slam-dunking specifically, but other stuff is good.

e: Also I failed to notice that the other guy hired Bullseye to play golf for him. Which doesn't seem in Bullseye's wheelhouse, I always associated him strictly with thrown weapons.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 29, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

It usually comes up whenever someone starts questioning his methods that in addition to the beating up criminals part Bruce also runs a bunch of charities and jobs programs. Its just one of those things that never actually changes the status quo because then you don't have a comic book.

This is the premise of the new Nightwing run lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

>:[ Does that man's evil know no bounds.

He's still better than Slott or Spencer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dareon posted:

My friend wondered why Taskmaster even bothers with crime when he can just literally be The Best At Sports, and now we both want to see more pictures of Taskmaster doing sports. Slam-dunking specifically, but other stuff is good.

e: Also I failed to notice that the other guy hired Bullseye to play golf for him. Which doesn't seem in Bullseye's wheelhouse, I always associated him strictly with thrown weapons.

I think his talents would let him hit something and make it go exactly where he wanted to also. He's probably the best pitcher in the world but real world pitchers wouldn't be near the top ten of dart throwers, and he's also the best at that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dareon posted:

His actual identity is Bo Jackson. Is that reference too old? Probably, don't care.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Bo knows.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Skwirl posted:

I think his talents would let him hit something and make it go exactly where he wanted to also. He's probably the best pitcher in the world but real world pitchers wouldn't be near the top ten of dart throwers, and he's also the best at that.

If you include the Perfect Game mini-arc in your continuity, Bullseye is technically the second best pitcher in the world.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bruceski posted:

His actual identity is Bo Jackson. Is that reference too old? Probably, don't care.

If kids today don't know Bo Jackson to the same extent they know Muhamad Ali or Babe Ruth it's a failure of society.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dareon posted:

Crime seems like a more interesting challenge. Being effortlessly the best at sports seems boring, especially when you still have to travel and practice and act a certain way.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lobok posted:

Crime seems like a more interesting challenge. Being effortlessly the best at sports seems boring, especially when you still have to travel and practice and act a certain way.

You're also under a higher level of scrutiny, I think, and you're much more likely to be banned. Especially a problem for Taskmaster, I'd think, because I can only imagine his power would get banned under most sports codes once they realize that it's both really unfair and basically stealing. I know enough about sports leagues to know that the NFL would totally crack down on him.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Cleretic posted:

You're also under a higher level of scrutiny, I think, and you're much more likely to be banned. Especially a problem for Taskmaster, I'd think, because I can only imagine his power would get banned under most sports codes once they realize that it's both really unfair and basically stealing. I know enough about sports leagues to know that the NFL would totally crack down on him.

What’s wrong with copying other player’s techniques

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Every single pro athlete studies tape of other players. Task Master's main attribute is he only has to see the tape once.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Cleretic posted:

I'd disagree - if Michael Phelps' weird swimming body wasn't regulated, I wouldn't see a sporting body having an issue with Taskmaster (presuming he's white, of course). Dude still has to work out like everybody else.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

thetoughestbean posted:

What’s wrong with copying other player’s techniques

I named the NFL because I know they actually have passed rules that just go 'hey gently caress this one guy specifically', even if the thing they're making a rule against isn't actually all that useful or insurmountable by more normal players. Tom Dempsey's probably the best example; he had a deformed foot that required a special boot made, and also happened to be a very good kicker, so they passed a rule saying that players with deformed feet have to play with prosthetics that imitate a normal foot. Because sure, the fact he didn't have any toes was totally the deciding factor.

Even if Taskmaster wasn't open about his powers, in a world of tapes and replays it'd only take so long before someone noticed he was matching basically every record while never setting them, start asking questions, and eventually getting legislated out of the sport after pushing from teams that don't have a Taskmaster.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

I'd disagree - if Michael Phelps' weird swimming body wasn't regulated, I wouldn't see a sporting body having an issue with Taskmaster (presuming he's white, of course). Dude still has to work out like everybody else.

Yeah, Task Master has the perfect technique of an NFL line backer, but he doesn't weigh 250 lbs.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Taskmaster would still need to practice with the team because— and I say this as a non-sportsing guy— he'd have to be able to mesh with the rest of the team. They'd have to get each other and Taskmaster can't be a one-man football team. Golf? Sure. Bowling? Yeah. Darts? I guess, if he wants. Team sports like football, baseball, basketball, and hockey? He could be the best in the galaxy but the rest of the team needs to be able to work with him.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Cleretic posted:

I named the NFL because I know they actually have passed rules that just go 'hey gently caress this one guy specifically', even if the thing they're making a rule against isn't actually all that useful or insurmountable by more normal players. Tom Dempsey's probably the best example; he had a deformed foot that required a special boot made, and also happened to be a very good kicker, so they passed a rule saying that players with deformed feet have to play with prosthetics that imitate a normal foot. Because sure, the fact he didn't have any toes was totally the deciding factor.

Even if Taskmaster wasn't open about his powers, in a world of tapes and replays it'd only take so long before someone noticed he was matching basically every record while never setting them, start asking questions, and eventually getting legislated out of the sport after pushing from teams that don't have a Taskmaster.

Geez, I didn't know about that - what arses!

Of course there's the whole thing with Caster Semenya and the levels of testosterone in her body as well.

To be honest though, I'd probably choose the career that let me run around in spandex and a cool skull mask too.

(To be super honest, I'd probably do that anyway irl, if I could find stuff that would fit me...)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ManiacClown posted:

Taskmaster would still need to practice with the team because— and I say this as a non-sportsing guy— he'd have to be able to mesh with the rest of the team. They'd have to get each other and Taskmaster can't be a one-man football team. Golf? Sure. Bowling? Yeah. Darts? I guess, if he wants. Team sports like football, baseball, basketball, and hockey? He could be the best in the galaxy but the rest of the team needs to be able to work with him.

With golf MCU Hawkeye makes a joke about taking it up to pass the time. He played 18, shot 18.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

I am also a fan of Weird Rules :)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ManiacClown posted:

Basketball he could just be the ultimate "stand in a spot and hit shots" shooter, because he'd either hit the shot every time or get fouled (which he would drain every time) or both. Baseball he'd be fine with about anything but being on the basepaths, you could just tuck him in the outfield or at first base defensively and hitting he'd know every pitchers moves so he'd know the pitch before the ball even left their hand. Football you'd probably have to make him a safety or something.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Taskmaster is just uninterested in a career that doesn't involve wearing a skull on his head.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, Task Master has the perfect technique of an NFL line backer, but he doesn't weigh 250 lbs.

IIRC, there's a moment in his Udon-era solo mini that flashes back to his childhood, when he learns from Olympic high-divers how to, well, high dive. Then he actually attempts it, only to realize during the dive that he didn't know how to swim.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Keromaru5 posted:

IIRC, there's a moment in his Udon-era solo mini that flashes back to his childhood, when he learns from Olympic high-divers how to, well, high dive. Then he actually attempts it, only to realize during the dive that he didn't know how to swim.

He didn't watch the swimming competition? Or was that on a different day?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Targitt #1 (1975)

Power Man #66 (1980)

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Am I the only one who thinks Taskmaster would actually be bad at baseball or footabll? Bullseye makes sense because his power is 100% accuracy. Taskmasker's power to copy might make him mechanically sound but so much of pitching. batting, and throwing football is knowing when to pull off, what arm slot to use, how much power to use, and developing a style that works for you? It's not all pure copying the mechanics I guess.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mooseontheloose posted:

Am I the only one who thinks Taskmaster would actually be bad at baseball or footabll? Bullseye makes sense because his power is 100% accuracy. Taskmasker's power to copy might make him mechanically sound but so much of pitching. batting, and throwing football is knowing when to pull off, what arm slot to use, how much power to use, and developing a style that works for you? It's not all pure copying the mechanics I guess.

He’s be great because as someone already says he’d be able to read the pitchers like a book. That’s really worth something

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Zaodai posted:

Basketball he could just be the ultimate "stand in a spot and hit shots" shooter, because he'd either hit the shot every time or get fouled (which he would drain every time) or both. Baseball he'd be fine with about anything but being on the basepaths, you could just tuck him in the outfield or at first base defensively and hitting he'd know every pitchers moves so he'd know the pitch before the ball even left their hand. Football you'd probably have to make him a safety or something.

But there's no basketball player who can always hit their shots 100% of the time, especially not if there's an opposing player actively defending them. Plus, once again, there's the issue of body type ... he could copy LeBron's style all he wanted, but he can't copy being 6'9".

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

[Deadpool 25th Anniversary]

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Selachian posted:

But there's no basketball player who can always hit their shots 100% of the time, especially not if there's an opposing player actively defending them. Plus, once again, there's the issue of body type ... he could copy LeBron's style all he wanted, but he can't copy being 6'9".

He doesn't need to copy a player that can hit a shot 100% of the time, he just needs to copy a shot that goes in. His advantage is mechanical perfection. So as long as he could find one instance anywhere of a player hitting a given shot, he can nail that shot every time, because he could recreate the motions identically each time.

As far as playing like LeBron, that's why I said you just make him a perimeter shooter. The value of a (basically) 100% shot efficiency outweighs a ton of sins. You could even have him not play defense at all and statistically come out ahead because an open player is still going to miss more shots (due to being a regular human) than Taskmaster would.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Part of Taskmaster's power is copying other people but he can also repeat actions. The more he practices or even unintentionally performs great moves the more his repertoire of perfect execution grows. The less variability there is in a position the better he'd be, like a pitcher.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

He's in elite athlete form ignoring his super powers, pitching is largely technique so he'd be good at, maybe not batting, but he could do the running and certainly he'd be good at fielding. Football he could be a good throwing QB if he had good receivers and a defensive line, but he'd be trash at most other positions. He could maybe be a good receiver.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Zaodai posted:

He doesn't need to copy a player that can hit a shot 100% of the time, he just needs to copy a shot that goes in. His advantage is mechanical perfection. So as long as he could find one instance anywhere of a player hitting a given shot, he can nail that shot every time, because he could recreate the motions identically each time.

As far as playing like LeBron, that's why I said you just make him a perimeter shooter. The value of a (basically) 100% shot efficiency outweighs a ton of sins. You could even have him not play defense at all and statistically come out ahead because an open player is still going to miss more shots (due to being a regular human) than Taskmaster would.

He needs to copy a shot then use it from where and the height the player shot at though.

Same deal with Golf. He can copy the perfect form... but will not know how much power to use to compensate for the course or wind. He'd be a hell of a pitcher though.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Professional sports don't let you dress as a skeleton for some stupid reason.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Libra posted:

Professional sports don't let you dress as a skeleton for some stupid reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there are much more flattering looking skeletons in wrestling than that