Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The week after the quad injury even, they aired a long video package of him in the hospital and reiterated that he was able to finish the match despite being in tremendous pain. The clips were non-kayfabe and had him and Stephanie together acting normally, prety much confirming that they were a couple in real life as well as off-screen. On one hand it was commendable because it was a horrible injury and it hammered that home, but on the other hand WWF hardly changed the way they treated their workers, and I don't recall them giving this treatment to anyone else around this time - including Benoit, who went out with a similarly awful injury shortly afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The week after the quad injury even, they aired a long video package of him in the hospital and reiterated that he was able to finish the match despite being in tremendous pain. The clips were non-kayfabe and had him and Stephanie together acting normally, prety much confirming that they were a couple in real life as well as off-screen. On one hand it was commendable because it was a horrible injury and it hammered that home, but on the other hand WWF hardly changed the way they treated their workers, and I don't recall them giving this treatment to anyone else around this time - including Benoit, who went out with a similarly awful injury shortly afterwards.

Say what you will about HHH but him taking a liontamer from Jericho on the table after he tore his quad is something loving else. Look at Nash or if it happened to me, you lay there until the paramedics arrive. There's no finishing the match!

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

BodyMassageMachine posted:

First time watching this in years, lol to how heroic they tried to make Trips feel:
https://youtu.be/v5dFzssb4f0

laughing my rear end off at trips hitting ppl w sledgehammers and chairs over and over while the bono sings "ITS A BEAUTIFUL DAY"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

1glitch0 posted:

Say what you will about HHH but him taking a liontamer from Jericho on the table after he tore his quad is something loving else. Look at Nash or if it happened to me, you lay there until the paramedics arrive. There's no finishing the match!

Did Sami Zayn get a whole tribute package produced when he blew his shoulder out in his match against Cena?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
It should go without saying that what made him getting so huge in 2002 so alarming was that he had already gotten gigantic to be Main Eventer Triple H in '99. He just got EVEN BIGGER.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don't even think Cena has gotten a tribute package like that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I laugh thinking about how everyone was excited for him to return, even jobbers in backstage segments, then one guy who I cannot recall popped up and was like "what's wrong with you loving idiots? This is HHH, he's just gonna come back and return to beating the poo poo out of us with hammers"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

imagine hhh came back in 2002 with a motorhead cover of beautiful day. god im so mad this never happened

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I don't even think Cena has gotten a tribute package like that.

Angle did two years later when he came back from neck surgery. To Clocks by Coldplay of all loving things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaryn8QUyUo

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Today is the day I finally learned the name of that irritating loving song.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Today is the day I finally learned the name of that irritating loving song.

Did you? Or were you thinking of this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zudbz4hOcbc

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

davidbix posted:

It should go without saying that what made him getting so huge in 2002 so alarming was that he had already gotten gigantic to be Main Eventer Triple H in '99. He just got EVEN BIGGER.

Yeah. What really hammered it home was seeing him in WCW and there Trips is downright skinny comparatively speaking.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. What really hammered it home was seeing him in WCW and there Trips is downright skinny comparatively speaking.

Hell, even if you look at his build for the street fight with Mick where Mick wins in Long Island (the one where all 3 personas of Mick do a promo pre match), he's built but not in like, a cartoonish way

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Lamuella posted:

Did you? Or were you thinking of this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zudbz4hOcbc

I’ll slap the poo poo out of you. Then slap it back into you.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

...to the point that he was mentioned on-air as a potential member of the cruiserweight division when they started alluding to the possibility in late 1994.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbwtoEoenPM

Surreal to see him do that, even if it's kinda bad vs. say, even Viscera doing the same move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPFFpXz2LtU&t=65s

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

NameHurtBrain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbwtoEoenPM

Surreal to see him do that, even if it's kinda bad vs. say, even Viscera doing the same move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPFFpXz2LtU&t=65s

I don't remember...

Viscagra

That's my question

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I remember Viscera's move being called a rolling coppo kick in the Smackdown games, and Liger having the same move.

That definitely ain't no spinning heel kick.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Did everyone forget, or have I just been here for far to long, that HHH was referred to as :words: here during his reign of terror.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Custard Undies posted:

Did everyone forget, or have I just been here for far to long, that HHH was referred to as :words: here during his reign of terror.

I remember someone requesting this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

anakha posted:

I remember Viscera's move being called a rolling coppo kick in the Smackdown games, and Liger having the same move.

That definitely ain't no spinning heel kick.

Eh, I guess maybe X-Pac's Spinning Heel Kicks look more akin to what a 'good' looking one would be.

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

I don't remember...

Viscagra

That's my question

The fat man likes sex. So much that he sexually assaults his opponents.

The :goodshit: was always there, we just had distractions to it.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCrgG3P9SjE

rewatching this and laughing at the thought of a WWE version of Good Will Hunting with Limp Bizkit instead of Elliott Smith on the soundtrack

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

BodyMassageMachine posted:

When did “20min rambling promos that ultimately set up the main event for the night” actually become a thing? Early Raws/Nitros seem to go into random matches first, THEN angles (or maybe a short starting promo followed by the opening match). It seems easy enough to point at the Attitude Era for the starting point (which, because it worked then, clearly influenced how WWE would run their programming the following 20+ years), but is there a distinct angle/promo/person that kick-started the (very annoying) trend?

I think in '97, as the Austin/Hart thing was ramping up, on most Raws one of them would open the show by talking, then there'd be a pull-apart fight, and that would set up a match later. After WM14, the show usually opened with Vince, Austin, Rock, or someone else to demand a match, or do a thing. By the time HHH was on top, he opened every show with a 20-minute promo about whatever, and usually ended with setting up his match later.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The only time a HHH centric Raw was good was when he and Batista teased breaking up and fighting, only for it to be revealed as a ruse to trick Benoit or Edge or something. Audience went mental at the idea of Batista kicking Hunter's rear end. I think this contributed to WWE going all in on Batista.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Kosmo Gallion posted:

The only time a HHH centric Raw was good was when he and Batista teased breaking up and fighting, only for it to be revealed as a ruse to trick Benoit or Edge or something. Audience went mental at the idea of Batista kicking Hunter's rear end. I think this contributed to WWE going all in on Batista.

When Batista finally turned on Triple H, it was one of the coolest moments ever on Raw, marred slightly by the backstage segment that showed HHH and Ric Flair talking about what an idiot Batista was while he listened from around a corner. It was a very cheesy, unneeded bit.

cauliflower jones
Nov 8, 2009
I'm watching Austin-Taker from SummerSlam 98 and boy these guys did not have any chemistry at all in the ring. I know they wrestled a bunch but did they ever have a good match against each other?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The Highway to Hell video package was cooler than any match they ever had.

I dunno. I don’t think that match-up ever really worked, in the ring and story wise.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

cauliflower jones posted:

I'm watching Austin-Taker from SummerSlam 98 and boy these guys did not have any chemistry at all in the ring. I know they wrestled a bunch but did they ever have a good match against each other?
One of them got hurt early in the match, IIRC, but...no, not really. That is probably their best match, and it was super underwhelming, even in the building watching it live. Though Taker's big top rope leg drop to the announcers' table is legitimately one of the best highlight reel moments in WWF/E history and it's mindboggling that he did it since his hips were already in bad shape by then.

But yeah, by the time they feuded, Taker was about to go on a run of being REALLY bad in the ring. So bad that in what was, historically speaking, the biggest match of their endless feud (the title switch on the post-King of the Ring '99 episode of Raw that still holds the cable TV wrestling viewership record) the finish was hideously and irreparably mistimed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K08BcGGZjYQ&t=107s

I have no recollection of their first PPV match (May 1997 In Your House) being particularly good, but now I'm kind of curious to check it out again since it has a much, much better version of Taker than the one Austin feuded with in '98-'99.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The Stone Cold/Undertaker/Kane feud drags on and on and it sucks. “Are undertaker and Kane in cahoots?!?” Who carrressss

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I remember enjoying the First Blood match at Fully Loaded that finally ended that feud, but I haven't watched it in a donkey's age, so I don't know if I'm just looking at it with rose-tinted spectacles.

The 1997 match was OK, as I recall.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Seams posted:

The Stone Cold/Undertaker/Kane feud drags on and on and it sucks. “Are undertaker and Kane in cahoots?!?” Who carrressss
*collusion

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I really enjoyed their Fully Loaded match. It had a big fight feel, stipulations that would have had big consequences (if WWE didn't just handwave them away six weeks later), tons of drama in the build, lots of run ins and extras to hide what bad shape both Austin and Taker were in, and felt like the culmination of the middle part of the Attitude Era. The stipulation itself kinda sucks because the match would have been better with plenty of blood and not ending at the sight of the first drop.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

davidbix posted:

*collusion

*cahoots

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

davidbix posted:

*collusion

Oh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByO5l00uxKY&t=51s

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Collusion in Korea.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Watching Summerslam 96 and I'm curious about what happened with Vader/Shawn. Obviously there's that one spot where Michaels goes up for the elbow, lands on his feet, kicks Vader in the head, and then yells at him.

But then there's also Michaels hitting the superkick and Hebner not counting a three despite Vader not moving at all. It wasn't meant to be the ending based on the rest of the match, so something went weird.

Was Vader hosed up or out of it or something? Why the elbow drop issue? Why forgetting to kick out (apparently)?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What is the best Shawn Michaels match?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Kosmo Gallion posted:

My vote is against Mankind at Mind Games.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TL posted:

My vote is against Mankind at Mind Games.

It's a loving great match.

I'd also accept his ladder match with Scott Hall or his WM match w/Jericho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Kosmo Gallion posted:

The Undertaker Hell in a Cell