Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Do you live in a world where high resolution cameras haven't been invented, friend? We know what people look like.

Look, it's just superhero comics, this is just one of those things that you handwave away and don't think about too hard. Don't try to convince yourself that it's a brilliant disguise, or that Henry Cavill or whoever doesn't get recognized on a regular basis just because he fluffs up his hair a little differently or because no one expects him to be eating a quesadilla at the mall food court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
up now.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yes, I also live in a world where I am not a high resolution camera and don't have a photographic memory, have doubts about what I do know even when I recognize things because people make a living impersonating celebrities among other explanations and where it is a well documented phenomenon that people in uniform are afforded a degree of anonymity simply by wearing said uniform because the uniform is mostly what people focus on.

Also a world where a large number of rich or powerful people rely on others to do mundane tasks within society. Like, if I saw someone that looked like Donald Trump at a Target I would absolutely not assume it's him no matter how much like him I thought the guy looked because I know he wouldn't be caught dead at such a place and would likely have an entourage of some kind even if he was there for some reason.

The actual Dolly Parton also once lost a Dolly Parton look-a-like contest for another example. I find it absolutely believable that people would rationalize Nolan as just looking kind of similar because of things like that.

Do I think masks, alter egos etc were created with that in mind? Christ no. They absolutely are just a narrative device. I think it's an interesting parallel that falls into place regardless, and know that some comics have taken advantage of that to explain disguises.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 30, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Oh this one has an 18 rating, I guess an R in the US. Same rating as episode 1, the rest of the season has been 15, or Teen in America I guess. It's gonna be a doozy.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

oh my god all the Viltrum men are rocking the giant cop stache

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is EXTREMELY gory.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

It is EXTREMELY gory.

just got to the subway bit. jesus.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

ah he is just an alien conqueror, predicable but ah well. Didn't quite expect him to be such a sociopath though, god drat. Which also kinda doesn't make sense because he seemed to show remorse even in private after killing the super heroes. Though maybe he saw them as more equals.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

omfg the subway fuucck

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Without getting too spoilery yet, the first half of that was a really good adaptation of that issue, but with the implied violence becoming explicit violence and cranked to 11.

The second half felt more like an ad for the second season to the studio, but that's ok. I'm just glad that with at least two more seasons we'll definitely get some of the story beats I really want to see animated.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ep 8: Chuckling a bit at their Nietzsche olympics.

"I can't let you interfere."

That 2 shots where the people turned into CG as Mark was crashing into Chicago was very odd. The animation improved drastically.

The train scene was hilarious and brutal.

So when Nolan flew into the atmosphere and his suit burned off, is he just wearing like 10 layers of costumes? :v:

Jfc gently caress off with this relationship poo poo. I thought it was over but I guess not.

2nd half of the episode kinda dragged, but the final montage made me glad the show was renewed for 2 more seasons.

e: I have to wonder how advanced some of these 1000 other planets are if 1 Viltrumite can't keep the whole place in check after they have been conquered :911: since Nolan said their forces were being spread thin so they had to devise this new strategy. Or maybe a bunch of them kept dying during the invasions idk

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 30, 2021

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ep 8:
So when Nolan flew into the atmosphere and his suit burned off, is he just wearing like 10 layers of costumes? :v:

It was all the blood burning off, which was a neat touch.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Retrowave Joe posted:

That makes a lot more sense!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
here's an absolutely insane frame i capped.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Retrowave Joe posted:

But then at the end it did look like Invincible's clothes burned off to the suit beneath when he shot into space to meet Allen.

uber_stoat posted:

here's an absolutely insane frame i capped.

Haha yeah some of these shots were almost Ren and Stimpy gruesome. That whole thing was nuts, even if it did kinda end in the most by-the-numbers way possible. It's gonna be a pretty hard sell getting Nolan back onto Team Good Guys though, holy poo poo he must have done at least a dozen 9/11s worth of damage in just five minutes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Phenotype posted:

This is my favorite spoiler of all time

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Previous episode was a better but this was still good!

Man remember The Hives?

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Phenotype posted:

But then at the end it did look like Invincible's clothes burned off to the suit beneath when he shot into space to meet Allen.

Haha yeah some of these shots were almost Ren and Stimpy gruesome. That whole thing was nuts, even if it did kinda end in the most by-the-numbers way possible. It's gonna be a pretty hard sell getting Nolan back onto Team Good Guys though, holy poo poo he must have done at least a dozen 9/11s worth of damage in just five minutes.

There's no freaking way Omni-man joins team good guy. Best we can hope for is he pulls a Darth Vader in the season 3 finale... bc you just know season 2 ends with the invasion cliffhanger.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Holy gently caress what a finale. The subway scene - somehow I knew exactly what was going to happen and it played out frame for frame what I expected and it was juuuust awful. and hilarious.

the 'reveal' wasn't much of a reveal. it was given away with the 'not your world to conquer' line. the real mysteries are still, why now - and what does it have to do with Mark

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Anyone else getting random German subtitles, even when subtitles are turned off?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
The twist isn't that Nolan is a baddie, ya dinguses

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Also: their argument at the start is blatantly happening over a Google Maps overlay and, while I totally get why that's the case, it's pretty funny and hard to pretend not to notice.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Flesnolk posted:

Anyone else getting random German subtitles, even when subtitles are turned off?

Yes, but only in the seizure warning

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Earth is screwed if there's an army of Omni-men level Viltrumites coming for them. Or even, like, three, considering Mark was getting manhandled by just one. The new Guardians of the Globe could probably stall one for a gruesome two minute montage.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Stairmaster posted:

omniman is clearly the superman of the setting so i assumed you were talking about something that hasnt been revealed in the show yet

All the Guardians are analogs to the big 7 with a twist, Immortal is Superman but instead OF the ultimate immigrant he's the ultimate native. Existing on Earth almost as long as humanity ushering it to be better and fulfill its destiny.
Omniman isn't Superman he's Goku

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
More Vegeta, surely.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phenotype posted:

HA HA HA HA I was waiting for the non comics readers to catch up to that part, it's hilarious :v:

It also feeds into what I was talking about the other day with the pulp/western/vigilante precursors to superhero comics, and how Invincible turns that on its head. It turns out that Omni-Man was only posing as a benevolent vigilante to gain everyone's trust when he's really only here to impose order like a frontier sheriff. He's not a vigilante, he's a cop.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

apatheticman posted:

Previous episode was a better but this was still good!

Man remember The Hives?

that part of the episode might be my favorite part of the series so far. So hyped for season 2 now.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

More Vegeta, surely.

Vegeta never lied to anyone (except nappa and dodoria)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fuckin midnight meat train

There's a lot of verbatim comics dialogue in the Mark v Nolan fight but it definitely hits differently as performed. “You dad, I'd still have you” sequence was really good

zoux fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 30, 2021

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

Amazon prime has a bug where when you start the app you always get German subtitles but only translating text on the screen, not voices. If you turn on German subtitles and turn them off again it'll go away.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jesus christ the subway scene. I've seen some pretty gorey anime and that was up there with demons blending humans alive to drink.

BurritoJustice posted:

Amazon prime has a bug where when you start the app you always get German subtitles but only translating text on the screen, not voices. If you turn on German subtitles and turn them off again it'll go away.

Disney + does this when i watch The Simpsons.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 30, 2021

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

god drat that was a great finale and man the gore was just crazy

while I understand that Amber is coming back because Mark needs his friends, I don't see their relationship lasting because Mark continues to not understand what ended it the first time, he's really loving bad at communicating. He still just dipped when he got the phone call and didn't say anything to any of them, and they all know now so, really, he's just being a twat.

But there is one thing that I didn't really understand in the montage, what was Titan doing? Was he fighting a leader of a triad or something? I actually really want to see more of Titan

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Aces High posted:

But there is one thing that I didn't really understand in the montage, what was Titan doing? Was he fighting a leader of a triad or something? I actually really want to see more of Titan[/spoiler]
In the comics Titan doesn't appear that much. He's there and stuff happens with him, but he's already way more fleshed out in the show than he ever is in the comic so it seems like they're going to explore that character a little more.

Loved the finale. This show is like if 'Fist of the North Star' was a CW show but you know, good.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The whole episode was really great and I sat with bated breath waiting for the what will you have in 500 years? dialog. I've got to say, the voice acting in this episode was stellar. Steven Yeun in particular absolutely smashed it in the big confrontation at the start, his voice cracks with emotion and really sells it. That's some Oscar snubbed talent right there!

Incredibly pumped for the next ten seasons

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

huh, you guys are already seeing it? i thought the episode didn't go up until midnight?

anyway, in regards to the 'why don't people recognize superheroes out of costume thing?' thing, i recall reading in one of the newer superman comics where they try to explain that problem away by giving superman a brand new power that causes people to look at him outside of costume as someone entirely different. i mean, not the best way to handle such a thing imo, but there ya go

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Mr Interweb posted:

huh, you guys are already seeing it? i thought the episode didn't go up until midnight?

Amazon does midnight GMT, so it went up like 6 hours ago.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Tip posted:

Amazon does midnight GMT, so it went up like 6 hours ago.

huh....why do they do GMT instead of Pacific Standard Time like normal people? :thunk:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Cecil buying Mark a therapy book called "So Your Dad Turned You Into A 9/11".

First half had some jesus-loving-christ moments. I'm really curious how the series will handle the morality of power dynamics and great man theory. Like it could be a cynical "some individuals are just stronger, better hope it's a good guy" or if it'll go with a more hopeful "if we band together and work hard we can overcome" vibe.

Also shoutout to the animators that did some serious loving work on the last Omni-Man scene. The most dynamic art and faces in the entire show there.

Thought the second half dragged a bit (and hug your loving mother, Mark) with all the montages and flashbacks. Didn't quite give me the conclusive feeling I wanted, but hey, I'm on board for season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phenotype posted:

Do you live in a world where high resolution cameras haven't been invented, friend? We know what people look like.

Look, it's just superhero comics, this is just one of those things that you handwave away and don't think about too hard. Don't try to convince yourself that it's a brilliant disguise, or that Henry Cavill or whoever doesn't get recognized on a regular basis just because he fluffs up his hair a little differently or because no one expects him to be eating a quesadilla at the mall food court.

Cavill did a PR stunt back in 2016 where he stood around in Times Square wearing a Superman t-shirt under some giant BvS billboards and no one recognised him, or so the story goes

If you clap your hands and wish really hard it might even be real. :v: