Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
Haha I knew the family who’s grandfather invented that turkey timer. Set for life from that little invention no matter how inaccurate it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

life is killing me posted:

Now I know why I’ve never been a huge fan of whole turkey

Seriously. I’ve taken over turkey duty the last few Thanksgivings and everyone is just amazed at how delicious competently cooked they have been. My family asks what the secret is and I’m just like “it’s done at 165, not 185.” :monocle:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Those things are usually in the breast right? Goddamn 185 in there and the rest of the bird is probably a nice brisket temp.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Trastion posted:

Your Costco slices the Pork Belly? Mine doesn't. It comes in a huge slab.

Ours has both. The slabs are actually really good quality.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just brine my turkey and slap it in the oven. I get rave reviews. No one cares about the bird anyways. It's there as a formality to the mountain of sides everyone focuses on.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I've seen those thermometers just literally melt into the bird too.

We just got a turkey breast for COVID Thanksgiving and it was much easier to manage. (Also better not to have picky family around because we did a Cajun-spiced Thanksgiving.)

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

I've seen those thermometers just literally melt into the bird too.

We just got a turkey breast for COVID Thanksgiving and it was much easier to manage. (Also better not to have picky family around because we did a Cajun-spiced Thanksgiving.)

We straight up made a Chinese duck with it being just my wife and I last year.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I spatchcocked and smoked our turkey last year and it was phenomenal.

e: and 2/3 of it is vac sealed in our freezer along with stuffing that will be sous vide reheated in a few weeks for our "family is finally all vaccinated Thanksgiving do-over" dinner

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Seriously. I’ve taken over turkey duty the last few Thanksgivings and everyone is just amazed at how delicious competently cooked they have been. My family asks what the secret is and I’m just like “it’s done at 165, not 185.” :monocle:

Any meat I ever hated growing up is my parents’ fault and I had to learn in my adult life how they are properly cooked to actually begin to enjoy them. I still don’t care for whole turkey all that much unless it’s smoked, but when my parents would do steak or pork chops it would always be overdone. I hated steak until my 20s because every steak I had to that point was well-done and I never wanted to go to steakhouses. I remember one time my dad made me sit at the table for like an hour after they were done and in the other room watching tv. He lectured me about finishing everything on my plate and I couldn’t leave until I ate every bite of my disgustingly well-done steak.

My dad is still not a good cook. Whenever he is grilling something I cringe because if I’m at his house I don’t wanna be rude by insisting he let me handle the grilling.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
You eat steak because it's manly. Over done steak increases the manliness. Flavor has nothing to do with it, it's all about the ritual of eating charred flesh.

Or, at least that's what it seems like when people massively overcook steak and then smother it with sauce.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Ultimate Mango posted:

Dang that looks good

Need that cabbage recipe please

Very easy and tasty: https://www.inspiredtaste.net/37742/sauteed-cabbage-recipe/

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Any meat I ever hated growing up is my parents’ fault and I had to learn in my adult life how they are properly cooked to actually begin to enjoy them. I still don’t care for whole turkey all that much unless it’s smoked, but when my parents would do steak or pork chops it would always be overdone. I hated steak until my 20s because every steak I had to that point was well-done and I never wanted to go to steakhouses. I remember one time my dad made me sit at the table for like an hour after they were done and in the other room watching tv. He lectured me about finishing everything on my plate and I couldn’t leave until I ate every bite of my disgustingly well-done steak.

My dad is still not a good cook. Whenever he is grilling something I cringe because if I’m at his house I don’t wanna be rude by insisting he let me handle the grilling.

Growing up my family always shot for not medium-rare burgers and steak on the grill. Better bloody than burnt. So that’s the stuff I grew up with. My wife’s family always makes EVERYTHING well-done. Like beyond well-done. And it’s not just her immediate family. It’s like them and everyone they know in the Adirondacks. Maybe it’s a regional thing?

I remember the first time we went up there to visit and I hopped on the grill duty. Everyone kept brining my burgers back for more time on the grill. I almost thought it was a prank at first because a couple people came back like three times. Now I know.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Murgos posted:

You eat steak because it's manly. Over done steak increases the manliness. Flavor has nothing to do with it, it's all about the ritual of eating charred flesh.

Or, at least that's what it seems like when people massively overcook steak and then smother it with sauce.

See I would think eating something still raw and dripping blood is more manly.

When I got old enough to take over grill duties I would have to cook my dad's pork and chicken way longer than mine. Steak he would eat medium or medium rare, but everything else had to be leather. I just chalked it up to him being old and it probably wasn't safe to eat med-rare pork in the 1950s.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
People calling rare steaks bloody is part of the reason some people won't eat them less than well done.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

um excuse me posted:

People calling rare steaks bloody is part of the reason some people won't eat them less than well done.

You mean people thinking it’s blood? Even when most people, I would think, know by now that the animals are drained of blood during processing?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Shroomie posted:

See I would think eating something still raw and dripping blood is more manly.

Yeah, I got the same impression from your run-of-the-mill, toxically-masculine "I shelled out stupid money for my grill, and will shell out stupid money for meat, but I actually have no real clue about cooking"-types that I met back in the day before I got my first proper grill.

This was roughly 2006-2007 or so, I was still in Uni, and most of my BBQ-contacts were Americans on our local base that loved to pamper me as their token-local with the spoils of 'murica. Mind you, I've seen this type of behavior regardless of culture/nationality, but that was my first experience.

New York strip? Seared to hell and back on the outside, raw on the inside.
Beef filet? Seared to hell and back on the outside, raw/untouched on the inside.
Obscenely-massive rib-eye? Seared to hell and back on the outside, raw and pretty much cold on the inside.

Pretty much everything was marinated (read: fully submerged) in roughly half a gallon of Dale's seasoning from the PX (bonus points for the thicker, low-sodium Dale's "paste", because "salt is bad") for four hours before the cook while Bud/Coors-Light was served aplenty.

As someone whose preference is medium-rare to rare, I never really raised too much of an eyebrow, but even I occasionally thought "uh, this is...unfinished", and it took me a bit to realize that the reason for no different levels of "done-ness" being requested was that anything outside of "charred on the outside, cold on the inside" was considered to be "an abuse of a good cut of meat", because ~MAN CULTURE~

Bit-late disclaimer: I actually liked the Dale's seasoning, and I've used a lot of Dale's-style recipes for "wet-rub" after kicking off my own meat-endeavours, but jesus

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Charred on the outside and raw on the inside is sometimes called, "Black and Blue".

I heard it comes from the steel mills where at lunch time the workers would take a slab of raw beef and slap it on the outside of the furnace. Once that side was charred enough it would slide off and you slap the other side on.

So, yeah, very manly.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

You mean people thinking it’s blood? Even when most people, I would think, know by now that the animals are drained of blood during processing?

I've had to tell people multiple times it is not blood. 100% of time it's people who like well done steaks.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
My Google Fu is failing me. I just got one of those racks you can shove up the chicken rear end for my smoker for upright cooking. But all of the recipes I'm finding are for smoking with the cavity twined off.

Can anyone help this internet babby to find a beer can chicken kinda smoking recipe?

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Evil SpongeBob posted:

My Google Fu is failing me. I just got one of those racks you can shove up the chicken rear end for my smoker for upright cooking. But all of the recipes I'm finding are for smoking with the cavity twined off.

Can anyone help this internet babby to find a beer can chicken kinda smoking recipe?

An upright chicken will smoke in roughly the same timeframe as a chicken in any other position, the biggest factor will be your cooking temperature. Choose whatever recipe looks delicious and just make sure to regularly check the temperature of the meat.

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
I've gotten curious about smoking some jerky in my wsm now that I've got that Fireboard controller and can keep temperatures better. I've got a few questions that I'm having trouble finding clear answers to, though.

Using cure seems to be recommended, and I'm clear on how to use calculators for it. What I can't find a good answer to is if drying the meat for jerky should change the calculation. It seems like the drying process would concentrate the nitrite, leaving you with a lot more than planned, but no recipes seem concerned about it.

What happens if I run it too hot while I'm drying? 200°-225° instead of the 160°-180° I see recommended? Is the risk just the fat rendering and leaving it a little too dry/hard?

Finally, a really dumb question. Would a grocery store butcher slice up a roast for me? I'm sure the proper butcher shop would, but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for something I may screw up. I've never seen anyone use the butcher at the Kroger for anything more than grabbing a cut out of the case. Do they actually do trimming or prep services?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

An upright chicken will smoke in roughly the same timeframe as a chicken in any other position, the biggest factor will be your cooking temperature. Choose whatever recipe looks delicious and just make sure to regularly check the temperature of the meat.

Thanks. I guess I was overthinking it.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Question for you knowledgeable folks:

I'm smoking some pork belly this weekend, and I've found a number of different recipes - at what temp do people wrap it and when do you pull it off the grill?

Most recipes seem to treat it basically the same as pork butt or shoulder but I'd be delighted to hear from someone with more first hand experience

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'm smoking some pork belly this weekend, and I've found a number of different recipes - at what temp do people wrap it and when do you pull it off the grill?

Most recipes seem to treat it basically the same as pork butt or shoulder but I'd be delighted to hear from someone with more first hand experience

I've never wrapped a pork butt and they always turn out great.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'd imagine it depends on what you're trying to do with it. Are you just trying to get some flavor into it, but otherwise will cook it? Do you want a pulled pork texture?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

:barf:

Okay feeling queasy right now.

Was trimming a pork shoulder before a brine and I felt a very soft tender spot deep in the meat. Before I could even think about what it was I accidentally lanced it with my knife. A good four tablespoons of blood/fluid poured out. I kept squeezing it to try and get it all. It didn’t smell or anything like that, so I imagine it’s still fine to eat (?).

I’ve never felt sick prepping meat before, but this just reminded me way to much of an infected cyst or something. Just grossed me out. Anyone else ever find a nice big blood blister in their meat? Please put my mind at ease :ohdear:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Was trimming a pork shoulder before a brine and I felt a very soft tender spot deep in the meat. Before I could even think about what it was I accidentally lanced it with my knife. A good four tablespoons of blood/fluid poured out. I kept squeezing it to try and get it all. It didn’t smell or anything like that, so I imagine it’s still fine to eat (?).

I’ve never felt sick prepping meat before, but this just reminded me way to much of an infected cyst or something. Just grossed me out. Anyone else ever find a nice big blood blister in their meat? Please put my mind at ease :ohdear:

:barf: :barf:

The only thing that’s ever come close was getting some fresh tuna steaks and one had a huge blood bruise or vein or something in it. I cooked them up and ate a tiny piece of that part along with the rest and it tasted like rotten meat.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Loving the username post combo.

Talk to a butcher, the regular occurace they come across weird stuff like this will put you at ease. Meat is still animals, and they're all different and can have weird stuff going on.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Yeah if in doubt cut that bit out, but it came from a unique living breathing being so occasional variance is to be expected

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

This wasn’t something that could be cut out. It was like a giant pocket full of blood that just drained.

In any case... I brought it back to the store and they just gave me a fresh one. Not taking the chance on a giant abscess full of rancid blood.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
First smoked ribs came out pretty great. Tried the St. Louis style first figuring they would benefit more than baby backs from the low and slow cooking and I think I was right. But I'm still a baby back man and looking forward to those whenever I pull em out of the freezer.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

First smoked ribs came out pretty great. Tried the St. Louis style first figuring they would benefit more than baby backs from the low and slow cooking and I think I was right. But I'm still a baby back man and looking forward to those whenever I pull em out of the freezer.

Nice looking slab.

All in I think ribs are my favorite bbq to eat.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Did a small little pork shoulder over the weekend. 4 pounds. Was done in about 9 hours over applewood and Cowboy lump charcoal. Finished the last hour in the oven so I didn’t have to add a whole new chimney of charcoal just to finish it off.

I have had excellent luck pulling my porks at 195 degrees. This time I was really convinced my probe placement was off, so I took it to 200 to make sure it was done. Ultimately, my probe placement ended up being dead on, and the end result was tender but slightly drier than usual. Was it the extra 5 degrees? Who knows. The bark on this thing was crazy pronounced. Very impressive.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think the last couple I’ve pushed to 203 instead of 195 and they’ve been a bit drier. Or it’s been rose colored glasses.

I’m going to try both at 195 and rest and higher at the same cook and see what I like. As close as I can get to an eval for a stochastic process.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Isn't the breakdown of the tough bits into gelatin more about spending a lot of time in the range of 160 to 180? Instead of shooting for 195-205 what if you crept up to say 175 and then just lowered the temp of your smoker and held it there for a couple of hours?

Is there something other than collagen you want to break down that occurs above 180?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Mothers Day Leg of Lamb oak smoked at 275 for ~2.5 hours on a Weber Kettle until reading 135 internal. Rubbed inside and out with salt and herbs and lemon zest. The result was excellent with a smokey, sweet and savory flavor with that tender, slightly elastic chew you expect from a good ham on the crust.

The wine was a bit of a disappointment. We purchased it exactly 10 years and 1 week before after a tasting at the makers (along with many other bottles, mostly pinot noir, which have long since provided great service) and at the time Robert Parker had rated it with 95 pts. It was still good but not the amazing bomb of a zinfandel I was hoping for. Some initial fruit but then just lots of alcohol, we really should have drunk it a couple of years ago.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Did some ribs yesterday after getting my replacement Billows back from Thermoworks. They took care of me again, but this time I had to send them the broken unit (they paid postage).

My problem was actually with my ribs. St Louis cut, they went for 6.5 hours at 225, unwrapped, and were starting to dry out and pull away from the bones but didn't pass the bend test yet. Ornery hog? I think I'm pretty done with unwrapped ribs, wrapping seems to cook them much more consistently.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

This isn't a smoking question, but it does tie in to my pellet smoker. Does anyone here have experience with a pellet pizza oven? My wife is dropping leading questions about getting me one for my birthday but I didn't know if anyone here has actually used one before.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

NomNomNom posted:

My problem was actually with my ribs. St Louis cut, they went for 6.5 hours at 225, unwrapped, and were starting to dry out and pull away from the bones but didn't pass the bend test yet. Ornery hog? I think I'm pretty done with unwrapped ribs, wrapping seems to cook them much more consistently.

I hardly ever do St Louis, but rather the back ribs from costco. I have done these pepper bourbon ribs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgyaXkH3_pU and have had great success not wrapped/crutched. Only variance is a LOT less salt in the recipe (they rather suck if you use as much as they suggest... I use like 1/4 of what they call for). For the booze I use honey bourbon. They have amazing flavor and just the right texture (IMHO).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

This isn't a smoking question, but it does tie in to my pellet smoker. Does anyone here have experience with a pellet pizza oven? My wife is dropping leading questions about getting me one for my birthday but I didn't know if anyone here has actually used one before.

I don't have a pizza oven, but I am the snobbiest of pizza snobs. So much so that I refuse to make my own pizzas because they'd come out wrong without the right equipment. The right equipment is an oven that can use coal, not charcoal, to fire it and supports 700°F evenly. I'd go for a brick and mortar solution myself for the thermal mass but anything that fits the description above would work. Pellets would not meet my standards.