Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus people are stupid, not one thought to just put it in reverse and back the gently caress out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

"bUt WhAt AbOuT tHe PaRkInG gAtE". loving hell man, there's a pipe hanging from ropes at the entry of every loving garage in the US for a REASON, and there was one at that entrance. It makes a HELL of a noise when you smack it! I've smacked them with a forklift at work before when I forgot to lower the forks fully (it's a walk-behind type, so you're "pulling" it most of the time), and it made enough of a CLANK to make me immediately stop and go "oh, poo poo, oops, glad that pipe is there". You've already hosed up that bad, just back up and rip the packing gate off of the tilty thingy. They're designed to be repaired easily in case someone crashes through them, and this would be a VERY good reason to back up through one. Once you smack a fire sprinkler pipe, you've normally set off the fire alarm for the entire building (water flow sensor triggers the fire alarm, PLUS a mechanical sprinkler bell on most buildings - the fire alarm sees that water flow and sends a "fire alarm with sprinkler activation" signal to the monitoring company, every fire station nearby sends full response because as far as they know, they have 1 or 50 fire sprinklers trying to put out a fire - if this is a residential building on top of a garage, congrats, you've just evacuated the part of the apartment complex that doesn't ignore the fire alarms).

I know a lot of us watch Matt's Off Road Recovery. This has to be the sketchiest tow I've seen them do. For context, the Rubicon they're towing supposedly has a blown engine. Two XJs, an early 80s GMC Sierra 1 ton 4x4 wrecker, and the victim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRhg72aHdtY&t=1077s

A bit earlier, they slammed the boom into the hood of their recovery Jeep. I'm sure their insurance (or Matt) will be paying for that, but that was a hell of a sketchy recovery to begin with, and I'm sure he charged a first and second born for it. I've had to have one BARELY off road recovery done for Brokeback (about a mile and a half off road, but required winching, took about an hour), and my rear end is still a little sore (and that's after AAA covered a large chunk of it).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 26, 2021

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The Fab Rats version of this was insane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvXQdBoESfo

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

STR posted:

"bUt WhAt AbOuT tHe PaRkInG gAtE". loving hell man, there's a pipe hanging from ropes at the entry of every loving garage in the US for a REASON, and there was one at that entrance. It makes a HELL of a noise when you smack it! I've smacked them with a forklift at work before when I forgot to lower the forks fully (it's a walk-behind type, so you're "pulling" it most of the time), and it made enough of a CLANK to make me immediately stop and go "oh, poo poo, oops, glad that pipe is there". You've already hosed up that bad, just back up and rip the packing gate off of the tilty thingy. They're designed to be repaired easily in case someone crashes through them, and this would be a VERY good reason to back up through one. Once you smack a fire sprinkler pipe, you've normally set off the fire alarm for the entire building (water flow sensor triggers the fire alarm, PLUS a mechanical sprinkler bell on most buildings - the fire alarm sees that water flow and sends a "fire alarm with sprinkler activation" signal to the monitoring company, every fire station nearby sends full response because as far as they know, they have 1 or 50 fire sprinklers trying to put out a fire - if this is a residential building on top of a garage, congrats, you've just evacuated the part of the apartment complex that doesn't ignore the fire alarms).

I know a lot of us watch Matt's Off Road Recovery. This has to be the sketchiest tow I've seen them do. For context, the Rubicon they're towing supposedly has a blown engine. Two XJs, an early 80s GMC Sierra 1 ton 4x4 wrecker, and the victim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRhg72aHdtY&t=1077s

A bit earlier, they slammed the boom into the hood of their recovery Jeep. I'm sure their insurance (or Matt) will be paying for that, but that was a hell of a sketchy recovery to begin with, and I'm sure he charged a first and second born for it. I've had to have one BARELY off road recovery done for Brokeback (about a mile and a half off road, but required winching, took about an hour), and my rear end is still a little sore (and that's after AAA covered a large chunk of it).

Someone asked matt recently how often they damaged vehicles/had insurance claims and he said "off road, we've never had a claim," and you can see in his face when he inspects that dent that he's like "there goes the fuckin record." Though technically it was Paul from fab rats who did the damage, with his own rig, so I wonder how that will play out.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Someone asked matt recently how often they damaged vehicles/had insurance claims and he said "off road, we've never had a claim," and you can see in his face when he inspects that dent that he's like "there goes the fuckin record." Though technically it was Paul from fab rats who did the damage, with his own rig, so I wonder how that will play out.

I feel like if we were ever gonna get a good swear out of Matt, it would have been when he saw that hood. I don't think he's real happy about eating that one. Super sketch recovery though, holy poo poo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So how much would a recovery like that cost? Because I'd assume at some point it's better to get a helicopter to pull the truck out (or fix it on location)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mobby_6kl posted:

:siren: Project Binky update! :siren:

https://youtu.be/3EpCtx8RRC4

I'll have to watch it tomorrow but this was quite an unexpected development

Needs more dynamat.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLxanm6o7aw

I can't work out the rules for this other than "buy something improbable and drive it where it should never be".

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

yaffle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLxanm6o7aw

I can't work out the rules for this other than "buy something improbable and drive it where it should never be".

https://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/the-lands-end-trial/

This is basically a untimed navigational reliability trial very much in the spirit of pre WWII rallying - where the idea is to "clean sheet" the event itenerary (Ie, score zero penalty points). Being fast isnt going to give you a clean sheet, there's a whole lot more involved.

Car eligibility

https://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/rules-regulations/

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 30, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/the-lands-end-trial/

This is basically a untimed navigational reliability trial very much in the spirit of pre WWII rallying - where the idea is to "clean sheet" the event itenerary (Ie, score zero penalty points). Being fast isnt going to give you a clean sheet, there's a whole lot more involved.

You know, it seems like you could make some kind of tame sporting event for everyday driving where you have known routes and score people based on the precision of their driving rather than speed or flamboyancy or whatever.

Some kind of app on your phone that takes advantage of GPS and INS features and have common routes like, NYC to Albany. NYC to Boston and etc... Have some idealized run that the drivers get scored against. Penalties for going to fast or to slow, missing a turn or whatever but have it be super precise so that to get a top score you need to be optimizing lane changes to be in the most efficient lane on a curve or something. Maybe give some sort of bonus difficulty multiplier for time of day of the trip to indicate level of difficulty.

I'm thinking you have to carefully balance it so as to not make people into driving assholes but so that its like a fun BBQ talking thing.

"Took the family to the lake last week."

"O, yeah? What did you do it in? Last time we went there we got a 237.7 *smugface*"

"I hit I-90 just right and made that lane change at mile marker 119 perfectly and we came in at 239 flat."

"No way! Awesome!"

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It sounds like, legally speaking (even if he just called in a favor), he would be considered as subcontracting to Paul, and the owner of the dead Jeep was still paying Matt, so still Matt's responsibility (his insurance will likely try to subrogate against Paul's insurance - or Paul's father's insurance). It'll probably be a shitload easier for Matt to just pay out of pocket for the repairs, otherwise there's going to be a lot of finger pointing and lawsuits and possibly cancelled policies with the insurance companies, and it'll take forever for that hood to get fixed if they go through insurance. Ultimately probably just easier for Matt to offer to fix it out of pocket, let the owner pick a body shop, Matt go to them and see what kind of cash discount he can get, etc. Or since they blew the engine, the owner might just be ditching it anyway - if I were Matt, do the recovery for free, have a few estimates done, pay an estimated cost of repairs to the owner if the owner winds up selling it unrepaired, or pay the body shop directly.

That fab rats video is indeed insane. That wrecker is beat to hell, but that's gotta be pushing 35-38 years old. It's, what, probably an 84-86 or so? (I think those were the only years with the top/bottom double headlights?) With a very unhappy sounding power steering pump, but I think they did that when new. :haw: That's an insanely steep hill, even with the train setup.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 30, 2021

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Not to mention, I personally love wheeling a manual, but in what amounts to a vintage truck while towing a dead jeep up like 30+ degree rock climbs?

Man I felt for that clutch. And Paul, I would have poo poo my pants even with the XJs keeping me from rolling back.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It sounded like it had super low front/rear end gearing, and likely a granny 1st gear (very common on a heavy duty truck of that era) - that thing was wound way up while just barely moving, without any visible smoke from the clutch (so likely not slipping it at that point). Probably a 3+1 gearbox with granny low, then 1-3.

Those trucks were built to get moving with a fuckton of weight, not for highway speeds. Probably was in 4-Lo as well, so you can just sidestep the clutch in granny low with a loaded trailer on it and it'd just go... slowly. I'd bet it maxes out around 5 mph in low gear + 4-Lo. Even if it didn't have 4-Lo (or was in 4-Hi), if it had a low gear before 1st, it would barely be crawling at idle and probably top out below 10 mph before a rapid unscheduled engine disassembly happened.

It looks like those trucks (the 1 ton built for hauling) had 4.11 to 4.56 axle gearing, which is pretty drat low. And 3 speed manuals with an extra low crawl/granny gear were still available back then; otherwise it would have probably been a 4 speed (5 speeds weren't really a thing in trucks yet).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 30, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Murgos posted:

You know, it seems like you could make some kind of tame sporting event for everyday driving where you have known routes and score people based on the precision of their driving rather than speed or flamboyancy or whatever.

Some kind of app on your phone that takes advantage of GPS and INS features and have common routes like, NYC to Albany. NYC to Boston and etc... Have some idealized run that the drivers get scored against. Penalties for going to fast or to slow, missing a turn or whatever but have it be super precise so that to get a top score you need to be optimizing lane changes to be in the most efficient lane on a curve or something. Maybe give some sort of bonus difficulty multiplier for time of day of the trip to indicate level of difficulty.

That actually exists as a Timed Navigational Rally where you must arrive at checkpoints at exactly the second calculated and it is every bit as precise as you are thinking here.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That actually exists as a Timed Navigational Rally where you must arrive at checkpoints at exactly the second calculated and it is every bit as precise as you are thinking here.

Yeah, I did one of these in Explorers in high school. We took part in a larger rally. The goal was driving the precise course at exactly the correct speed, hitting every checkpoint at the specified time to the second with the right odometer reading.

They hosed up the course, though, due to a bunch of road closures and detours they were unaware of, so several legs got dropped.

My girlfriend was my navigator, and we actually won our class.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Just discovered this dude doing "silent rebuild videos". Some interesting stuff, the latest being a 356 that need some... minor bodywork. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4d9GrbMAbcYbLehxP2IAiA

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Excellent. Make the management software work through your phone in Android Auto/Apple Car play and then watch as people competitively stop driving like assholes.

Can probably get the DOT and EPA to subsidize advertising (maybe even development) on the promise of more efficient driving being safer and more fuel efficient.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I always assumed that Matt had some sort of official disclaimer where he isn't responsible for any damage done to your vehicle during recovery that is in effect for the trickier jobs at least.

He clearly can't gently caress much stuff up as he would surely not get as many people calling the company out.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I like the idea of doing this. If I organised it I would also build in toilet stops and a lunch break to various stages.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Murgos posted:

Excellent. Make the management software work through your phone in Android Auto/Apple Car play and then watch as people competitively stop driving like assholes.

Can probably get the DOT and EPA to subsidize advertising (maybe even development) on the promise of more efficient driving being safer and more fuel efficient.

They'll still drive like motherfuckers to hit the target time at the end of the stage if running simultaneously though you will get some separation due to tortoise/hare strategies.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Midjack posted:

They'll still drive like motherfuckers to hit the target time at the end of the stage if running simultaneously though you will get some separation due to tortoise/hare strategies.

TNR events have speed traps at random places with severe time penalties.

The thing is that the directors of these events are evil old guys who delight in making rules to make things as difficult to cheat the syste as possible.

Imagine a group of the worst HOA rule lawyering members combined into one person but into cars and deer stalker hats. Thats the average TNR director. The first event I ever won outright was a TNR with a loss of 4 points and only after a fearsome argument wether I had driven 10 meters in the wrong lane.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Murgos posted:

Driving efficient is driving like an rear end in a top hat though. Literally why the people you share the road with thread had the subtitle "Let's Play: Drunk or Hypermiler?"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There is, apparently, such as thing as "eco rally". Which is what it sounds like: you have to hit certain checkpoints and the one with the lowest fuel consumption wins. I can't imagine how miserable it is, but there have to be people who'd enjoy this sort of thing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Anyone who was into mountainbiking in the 90s might know who Rob Warner is, an ex-pro downhill rider who now has his own youtube channel. He's usually riding bikes and there was some really hilarious moments where people amazed him with eggs and egg facts. He's loving hilarious some of the poo poo he comes out with is ridiculous.

This time though he's taking part in the Fun Cup UK race so visits the MIRA test track up the road from me for some testing and is just Rob Warner... Nice bit of Jag drifting too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=320G-IL2sN4

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Supercars Australia have been putting some of the old Bathurst 1000 full races up on their channel. Get to enjoy one of the best Bathursts ever - 2014 where Whincup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebayHuvb2ho

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=linHo8BE8Mc

This just gets better and better as this cursed car keeps fighting back

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NnZZnxOlF8

BOM posted this. It's good.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SttmNHV8bcU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Masters Historic Festival is this weekend and Brands Hatch. Tons of different hardware running around this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzG_P4-aBYA

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
You know who's gonna win before the drat race even starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEYEn_fpv-4

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Adiabatic posted:

I remember when I minmaxed my car in Forza 2 so the cheapest CPU driver could easily crush the competition and make me good money from those stupid long endurance races.

Looked a lot like this.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Adiabatic posted:

Incredible. What a stud.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
Harry Metcalfe Henry Catchpole with the real, OG "Holy Trinity". One of the best things I've seen all year on any media platform.

Part 1 (McLaren F1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIqANh0vraU
Part 2 (911 GT1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIBhLba0RRI
Part 3: (CLK GTR): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlLy3Va1a30
Bonus cut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPexrMPhGpI

Savington fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 3, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

Guy Martin's Japan series had an episode where he went to meet Auto racers. The full episode explains their training regime, the betting behind everything, the design/tech on the bikes etc and he ends up racing one of guys, Haruchika Aoki, a former 125cc champion 2 times running. Guy himself is a pretty accomplished bike racer himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WuymmgrZI4

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Guy Martin's Japan series had an episode where he went to meet Auto racers. The full episode explains their training regime, the betting behind everything, the design/tech on the bikes etc and he ends up racing one of guys, Haruchika Aoki, a former 125cc champion 2 times running. Guy himself is a pretty accomplished bike racer himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WuymmgrZI4

omg he gave him a tea towel. That is the perfect omiyage - I wonder if he knew? I have a small collection of tea towels from all the omiyage I received in Japan.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

totalnewbie posted:

omg he gave him a tea towel. That is the perfect omiyage - I wonder if he knew? I have a small collection of tea towels from all the omiyage I received in Japan.

Guy brushed up on his customs, he hates to be seen as rude in another culture. He spent ages practicing the Japanese art of handing over business cards and bowing properly, dude's adorable.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B0lnEvgZAg

gently caress, now I want a poverty spec AU Falcon with a V8

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B0lnEvgZAg

gently caress, now I want a poverty spec AU Falcon with a V8

No you dont, that model is a turd

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No you dont, that model is a turd

They might be ugly, but they were built strong and you still see more of them on the roads these days compared to VTs

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've always wanted a Citröen H Van, and watching this video just makes me want one even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkzKsIGJafI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0l3JP_wkvk