Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The pictures of Chinese WoW where they have removed all the bones and replaced them with bits of meat are pretty funny.

glad to know my avatar stands against CCP tyranny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I thought the "movies about ghosts are illegal" thing was only sporadically enforced. As in, they don't actually give a poo poo about ghosts or paranormal business, but will happily use that law as an excuse to ban whatever they want to ban for whatever reason they want to ban it.

Coz about 2/3 of all Chinese movies I remember from my time there were sword and sorcery epics involving the great hero travelling on a quest to defeat the evil monster/demon that was usually a pretty girl with long white hair. Surely those sorts of films contravened the "no ghosts" ordinance.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
It's the same lawlessness you find in places like post-soviet Russia. The law doesn't exist to be uniformly enforced, it exists so that people in a position of power can go after rivals or people they dislike and have legal cover for it. The fact that you can't really do business without breaking some law or other is a feature, not a bug.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr. Sunshine posted:

It's the same lawlessness you find in places like post-soviet Russia. The law doesn't exist to be uniformly enforced, it exists so that people in a position of power can go after rivals or people they dislike and have legal cover for it. The fact that you can't really do business without breaking some law or other is a feature, not a bug.

Fun thing, it also works like this literally everywhere else

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lol no

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Yeah, it's trivially true (and a very old) observation that's the one law for the rich and one for the poor, but it's needlessly reductive to think that blanket applies across all types of law in all situations everywhere.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If you can't see the difference between how the law is applied and enforced in the PRC compared to, like, Norway, I don't know what to tell you.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Chinese ambassador to Sweden seeks asylum in Sweden

Rip his family.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Wait, hadn't he been particularly noisy about making wolf warrior threats to assorted Swedish people/interests, at least far as Chinese ambassadors to Europe go?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Got a link?

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kharnifex posted:

Chinese ambassador to Sweden seeks asylum in Sweden

Rip his family.

Can't find anything in the swedish news about this. Dude was interviewed in swedish tv yesterday and defended the situation in Xinjiang by saying that there's no slave labor in the cotton industry since 70% of the cotton is picked by machines and machines can't be slaves qed.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mr. Fix It posted:

glad to know my avatar stands against CCP tyranny

I don't get it? :confused:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pham Nuwen posted:

:vince:

Mike Judgement Day
Mar 22, 2010

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Can't find anything in the swedish news about this. Dude was interviewed in swedish tv yesterday and defended the situation in Xinjiang by saying that there's no slave labor in the cotton industry since 70% of the cotton is picked by machines and machines can't be slaves qed.

He also said that Taiwan is not part of China: https://youtu.be/T1fkLIhQetI

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh word?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Mr. Sunshine posted:

It's a joke re this *beaten by Mike*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1fkLIhQetI

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Quod grātīs asseritur, grātīs negātur.

Shame on you for making me bust out the latin.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
China's embassy to Japan just posted this antisemitic meme... one that chinas embassy in france had to disavow a year ago when it was posted by that account.
https://twitter.com/jnzst/status/1387955303447089152

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why the gently caress does an Embassy need a twitter

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I can see the value in an embassy having a Twitter but then using that Twitter to post inflammatory poo poo is both completely :psyduck: and totally aligned with my expectations from Chinese diplomacy.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

Gaius Marius posted:

revise: Why the gently caress does an Embassy of a nation (where Twitter is banned) need a twitter?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Zakrello posted:

revise: Why the gently caress does an Embassy of a nation (where Twitter is banned) need a twitter?

I guess if it's not banned in the country you're in, it makes sense. Cuz, your citizens living in that country will use twitter. Like US political parties and embassies in China have a wechat and weibo presence because what else are we gonna use?

But that makes sense for "hey if you lost your passport reminder this is where you go!" type messages and not weird memes I'd think.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Yeah it's fine for travel advisories.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Given that Chinese Embassy twitters, (Japan, France, Ireland, etc.) have been publishing racistdank memes, when will they get on tiktok and start doing the silly dances that kids seem to like. Maybe even with Pandas.

That'll make the world forget how much of an authoritarian genocidal regime the CCP are.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Every motherfucker wants to be dril. If you're good at what you're doing, twitter can be a great propaganda tool - see Russia, Wendys. When you're bad at it, you will look like a complete idiot - see China, Dick Dorkins.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People can't possibly still be falling for Wendy's twitter bullshit.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

People can't possibly still be falling for Wendy's twitter bullshit.

They are. That's why it works.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Gaius Marius posted:

Chinese embassy blasts you with a bolt of lightning.

"China is angry. Why is China angry?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Even Trump basically tweeted his way to the Presidency. Third-generation failsons are the most useless people in the world, though.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
We need some kind of invasion of vigorous steppe peoples to shake things up and clear out the failsons.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Pharohman777 posted:

China's embassy to Japan just posted this antisemitic meme... one that chinas embassy in france had to disavow a year ago when it was posted by that account.
https://twitter.com/jnzst/status/1387955303447089152

It's not inherently anti-semitic to criticize Israel.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

The CCP never deserves the benefit of the doubt when it comes to being bigots, however.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Much like the "BTW, China is the wolf" thing a few weeks ago, I would chalk this one up to likely being a lazy effort by some incompetent failson-turned-social media manager who grabbed the first hit off Google Images, rather than deliberate bigotry.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Gaius Marius posted:

It's usually another communication feed for stuff like 'our operating hours will be different for X weeks while we remodel', or 'here are links to our country's updated travel regulations for Covid starting today' and stuff like that.

Not as a place to shitpost or propagandize.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Pham Nuwen posted:

lol

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

There's a really interesting sub-genre of Chinese financial advice books that's wildly anti-semitic though. They're along the lines of "THE SECRET TO THE JEW'S WEALTH" or "LIFE LESSONS FROM THE TALMUD"

It's not so insidious because the average Chinese person hasn't been poisoned with anti-semitic media one would encounter in the West. Maybe some of it has rubbed off from their Russian comrades.
But much like their anti-black bigotry it's just very ignorant, and comes off as child-like at best. For example asking any black person they meet if they play basketball before asking for their name.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A Jupiter posted:

There's a really interesting sub-genre of Chinese financial advice books that's wildly anti-semitic though. They're along the lines of "THE SECRET TO THE JEW'S WEALTH" or "LIFE LESSONS FROM THE TALMUD"

It's not so insidious because the average Chinese person hasn't been poisoned with anti-semitic media one would encounter in the West. Maybe some of it has rubbed off from their Russian comrades.
But much like their anti-black bigotry it's just very ignorant, and comes off as child-like at best. For example asking any black person they meet if they play basketball before asking for their name.

The general East Asia stance on Jewish people is 100% believing the Protocols of the Elders of Zion and any other antisemetic thing you can think of, but without any of the western cultural baggage so the conclusion ends up being "They're all rich and secretly control the world? Must be geniuses, I should emulate that."

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Grand Fromage posted:

The general East Asia stance on Jewish people is 100% believing the Protocols of the Elders of Zion and any other antisemetic thing you can think of, but without any of the western cultural baggage so the conclusion ends up being "They're all rich and secretly control the world? Must be geniuses, I should emulate that."

This saved many Jews from the Holocaust because Japan accepted refugees fleeing Europe, partly on those grounds.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

hey remember when people banned from this thread are quoting posts from here in cspam

I wonder why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

No why