Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Cavill did a PR stunt back in 2016 where he stood around in Times Square wearing a Superman t-shirt under some giant BvS billboards and no one recognised him, or so the story goes

lol at this PR stunt that proves no one cares about your Superman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
WELP!

That sure was an episode!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NmareBfly posted:

It's basically this. Maybe it boils down to the 'why can't people recognize superman when he puts glasses on' but if Amber knew he was a supe and saw Invincible show up right when Mark vanished it feels like she's absolutely been written as smart enough to put that poo poo together on the spot. The confrontation shoulda been different, but I guess they wanted e7 to be the climax of bunch of arcs for the wow factor?.

Also for the record,

https://twitter.com/InvincibleCast/status/1386845071992102912

Oh wow this was throwing me for a loop. I was wondering how "No-Female" made sense as a logo for Atom-Eve.

Of course its an atomic female symbol, but the simplified arcs look like an X cross through :doh:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh wow this was throwing me for a loop. I was wondering how "No-Female" made sense as a logo for Atom-Eve.

Of course its an atomic female symbol, but the simplified arcs look like an X cross through :doh:

In the latest episode there is a shot of Eve in her bed at home and her costume is totally missing the symbol and just has a white circle. I'd like to think she was too cluttered to remember to add it when she magicked her costume up but I know it's just an animation fail lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Morrow posted:

Earth is screwed if there's an army of Omni-men level Viltrumites coming for them. Or even, like, three, considering Mark was getting manhandled by just one. The new Guardians of the Globe could probably stall one for a gruesome two minute montage.

Yeah, It seems almost crazy to me how much everybody including Cecil is like "back to work as usual". The fact that Nolan has been gone two weeks is super super lucky, but there should be red alarms going off non-stop. The military should be prepping every nuke we have. All super-heroes should be uniting in the face of oblivion right now. Either Nolan or SEVERAL other viltrumites could show up literally any second and just entirely destroy all human life. They don't have time to relax. It seems way way way too easy that Nolan would just leave. I can't believe they're not panicking more.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Somewhere, Zack Snyder just got irrationally angry and doesn't know why.

Great episode, good season finale and looking forward to more.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, It seems almost crazy to me how much everybody including Cecil is like "back to work as usual". The fact that Nolan has been gone two weeks is super super lucky, but there should be red alarms going off non-stop. The military should be prepping every nuke we have. All super-heroes should be uniting in the face of oblivion right now. Either Nolan or SEVERAL other viltrumites could show up literally any second and just entirely destroy all human life. They don't have time to relax. It seems way way way too easy that Nolan would just leave. I can't believe they're not panicking more.

What more could earth really do to prepare? Cecil is trying to recruit invincible and they’re building a poo poo ton of reanimen. So far Cecil knows that Nolan had a long time left to complete his mission and abandoned his post at least temporarily so who knows what viltrum is even aware of or when they could be coming to check on him. I mean it was pretty clear Nolan could have done the job on his own right then if he wanted to. He didn’t need backup

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 30, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

What more could earth really do to prepare? Cecil is trying to recruit invincible and they’re building a poo poo ton of reanimen. So far Cecil knows that Nolan had a long time left to complete his mission and abandoned his post at least temporarily so who knows what viltrum is even aware of or when they could be coming to check on him. I mean it was pretty clear Nolan could have done the job on his own right then if he wanted to. He didn’t need backup

I'm not saying he needs backup, not at all. That's the point. They should be thanking their lucky stars they got as much time as they did, but they should assume Nolan is going to return any second and kill literally EVERYONE, OR alternatively, even if somehow Nolan doesn't return, the other Viltrumites could show up, possibly an army, and that would be maybe even *worse*. My point was either one of those two things is a massive extinction event for all life on Earth if it happens. I guess "what can they do?" is a fair point, but... I dunno. I don't think "go back to school and hope for the best" is the answer. No way. Not after all that poo poo just went down. There should be talks between governments at this point, we should be forming the American-Russian-Chinese military alliance and developing gundams with nukes for arms or something. It may not even be enough but you now know you're so extremely close to complete and utter doomsday, oblivion, it feels way way way worse than anything they've seen so far.

They gotta find some goddamn Kryptonite.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not saying he needs backup, not at all. That's the point. They should be thanking their lucky stars they got as much time as they did, but they should assume Nolan is going to return any second and kill literally EVERYONE, OR alternatively, even if somehow Nolan doesn't return, the other Viltrumites could show up, possibly an army, and that would be maybe even *worse*. My point was either one of those two things is a massive extinction event for all life on Earth if it happens. I guess "what can they do?" is a fair point, but... I dunno. I don't think "go back to school and hope for the best" is the answer. No way. Not after all that poo poo just went down. There should be talks between governments at this point, we should be forming the American-Russian-Chinese military alliance and developing gundams with nukes for arms or something. It may not even be enough but you now know you're so extremely close to complete and utter doomsday, oblivion, it feels way way way worse than anything they've seen so far.

They gotta find some goddamn Kryptonite.

The scenes in the white room have them working on weird space crystal and testing lasers on alien skulls, so I took that as meaning they're working on it to some degree. But I agree, Nolan is a walking extinction even from a race of thousands of walking extinction events they now know are malicious. The world uniting to fight that would be an awesome story but I don't think that's this story. They've jumbled the timeline a lot and there is still a lot of Mark regular life development to come.

I just read the IGN review of the last episode and they made a point of calling Cecil's VA the worst in the show the because he was deadpan while teleporting around Nolan. I mean what the gently caress? Goggins is slaying it and that scene was awesome. the same review also made a point of complaining that there was too much side story to distract from the main line while also complaining that the side stories didn't have enough fleshing out.

What does everyone think about the Robot/Monster Girl teen bodies situation? Normally I'd be concerned about 1000yo dragon in a Loli body anime bullshit but they're handling it well.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zaphod42 posted:

I really hope they fix it up for next season, especially since they know they're renewed already and can (probably) afford to invest more time in it.

Right now it's more like a no girls allowed sign

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

BurritoJustice posted:

The scenes in the white room have them working on weird space crystal and testing lasers on alien skulls, so I took that as meaning they're working on it to some degree. But I agree, Nolan is a walking extinction even from a race of thousands of walking extinction events they now know are malicious. The world uniting to fight that would be an awesome story but I don't think that's this story. They've jumbled the timeline a lot and there is still a lot of Mark regular life development to come.

I just read the IGN review of the last episode and they made a point of calling Cecil's VA the worst in the show the because he was deadpan while teleporting around Nolan. I mean what the gently caress? Goggins is slaying it and that scene was awesome. the same review also made a point of complaining that there was too much side story to distract from the main line while also complaining that the side stories didn't have enough fleshing out.

What does everyone think about the Robot/Monster Girl teen bodies situation? Normally I'd be concerned about 1000yo dragon in a Loli body anime bullshit but they're handling it well.

The IGN reviews are poo poo imo. Probably weren't paid enough to say good things about a good show.

Robot and Monster girl are the same age mentally and physically they can do whatever the gently caress they want really.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Robot is a fetus

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

It's way better having Monster Girl first realise that Robot chose the body for her and it's a bit more low-key. In the comic he's like "I did this for you uwu" and it's a bit weird

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I haven’t seen Whiplash so this is maybe the best acting I’ve seen from JK Simmons

Also Cecil is basically a combination of the President and Rick from Rick and Morty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykL-iMtpV50

Also they didn’t mention in the show but my friend tells me in the comics every time Cecil uses the teleporter it uses up the annual GDP equivalent of Spain, which was similar to a joke from the same Rick & Morty episode where Rick calls out the President’s teleporter for tripling the defecit

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 30, 2021

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Is there a spoiler thread in BSS or elsewhere? Because I have overly pedantic adaption opinions I want to share.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
The world isn't uniting against the common threat of Viltrum because there's not really any point. Humanity in general isn't a threat in any capacity to Nolan, and nothing any human does will change whether Viltrum shows up or not. So people just kinda go about their business, not exactly ignoring the threat but definitely more aware that nothing super matters.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

welp, that definitely was gory like y'all said...

The Walrus posted:

the 'reveal' wasn't much of a reveal. it was given away with the 'not your world to conquer' line. the real mysteries are still, why now - and what does it have to do with Mark

yep, was disappointed that nolan didn't elaborate on that sadly

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Awesome episode. Despite having really poo poo animation at times I really ended up liking this show. It's a fairly simple premise but it's effective. I also genuinely don't know where the story will go either since there seems to be no known way right now to actually beat Nolan let alone an army of Nolans. So it'll be fun to see what they come up with

boz
Oct 16, 2005
After the first two episodes I read through the entire comic, which was pretty drat good.

This episode hits way harder than the same thing in the comic.

In short, the show owns.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i'm definitely enjoying the show thus far, but i think i would have appreciated it more if i hadn't already seen The Boys. sure, The Boys focuses more on the whole mocking commercialization of superheroes, but both shows satirize established marvel/DC characters, so invincible seems like well tread ground already (as well as doing the sociopathic superman thing as well).

but again, just cause something isn't original doesn't mean it's not good

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mr Interweb posted:

i'm definitely enjoying the show thus far, but i think i would have appreciated it more if i hadn't already seen The Boys. sure, The Boys focuses more on the whole mocking commercialization of superheroes, but both shows satirize established marvel/DC characters, so invincible seems like well tread ground already (as well as doing the sociopathic superman thing as well).

I was going to say it'd be nice sometime if a story explored the idea of a sociopathic Batman, but that's just basically the story of a rich, entitled and embedded sociopath and that might be both too mundane and too dependent on the abuse of systems and politics for an action show. Although I suppose they might end up basically a ninja Punisher, going around assassinating people in the shadows instead, while enjoying the limelight as a rather conservation billionaire playboy who makes superficially good decisions for public approval. One could make the case that shows like Dexter or Revenge are basically that too; even if they're not explicitly about superheroes.

What if Wonder Woman broke bad could be fun as well, since she's a trained warrior from a warrior culture with access to magical weapons backed up their Gods, Amazons are themselves superhuman in some depictions if I recall meaning that Wonder Woman is essentially head of armada of superhumans and Wonder Woman is kind of a half way house between Superman and Batman in terms of having less power than Superman but more skill, and less skill than Batman but more power.

If a hero goes bad though, it's basically always Superman or a Superman analogue, and it's pretty much always presented like he could effortlessly destroy everyone else if he went rogue when the impression I always got from DC comics/cartoons is that multiple core members of the League would be able to give Superman a good fight, even just in terms of raw strength and a straight up punch up on their own. Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman and Shazam always seemed like while they might lose in terms of raw strength, that they have enough power and skill to make it a real fight even with just one of them alone, and that if two of them faced Superman they'd probably win. Which makes it all the more disappointing that that the Aquaman, Martian Manhunter and Wonder Woman analogues in this put up almost no fight and I'm not sure which I find more disappointing for being so underwhelming. Then again, it's not like DC writers don't share the same sentiments at times and Synder's Justice League basically fellates Superman as an unstoppable God that can and does clown on the rest of the League at once too.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Is it weirder to throw the punch, or receive the punch that turns Chicagoans CG?

e X posted:

Is there a spoiler thread in BSS or elsewhere? Because I have overly pedantic adaption opinions I want to share.

As long as you're comparing things that have happened in the show with how they did it in the comics, we've been doing that here already. Now, if you want to speculate on how they'll do William finding a magic bolo tie and taking over the universe, you'll probably need to make a thread in BSS.

Casnorf posted:

The world isn't uniting against the common threat of Viltrum because there's not really any point. Humanity in general isn't a threat in any capacity to Nolan, and nothing any human does will change whether Viltrum shows up or not. So people just kinda go about their business, not exactly ignoring the threat but definitely more aware that nothing super matters.

Humanity's secret weapon is hot humans tricking Viltrimites into getting Grinched through the power of a child's joy. Really got to screen our sexy agents well to make sure none of them gently caress it all up by keeping their kids away from sports.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
rear end in a top hat gods have been part of human storytelling for as long as we know. A lot of gods in a lot of religions are just straight up pricks. The capital G god himself wiped out all of humanity with a flood in the lore for example. People are fascinated with the idea of an unstoppable force doing stuff in the world and people just having to deal with it

That's why there are so many "what ifs" of the strongest most godlike heroes going bad

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

lmao

glad this show is getting two more seasons

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

tsob posted:

I was going to say it'd be nice sometime if a story explored the idea of a sociopathic Batman, but that's just basically the story of a rich, entitled and embedded sociopath and that might be both too mundane and too dependent on the abuse of systems and politics for an action show.

There's a few like that. If you want recommendations, the Hunter Rose era of Grendel and Marshal Law: Kingdom of the Blind stand out.

Mr Interweb posted:

but again, just cause something isn't original doesn't mean it's not good

The Boys actually post-dates Invincible by a couple of years, but there were plenty of books treading the same ground before either of them. John Smith's New Statesmen and Mark Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme are two 1980s books that centre around a Superman analogue trying to take over America/the world. New Statesmen in particular has informed Garth Ennis's career; it has the same combination of sexuality and corruption that he used in The Boys, albeit played completely straight. There's also no way Ennis didn't read it because his own comic breakthrough, Troubled Souls, was the story that replaced it in Crisis magazine.

This should not be taken as a contradiction of anything you said, though. Everyone from the Bible to Joseph Campbell has told us there is nothing new under the sun. What makes a story good is how you work with the material.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Haven’t read the comics but is the whole thousands being killed in ten minutes in Chicago incident thanks to a superpower brawl going to be glossed over? It felt like by the end of the episode there was a definite “oh well back to business :v:” vibe going on throughout the world.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JK Simmons did such a good job of making Nolan seem like a decent guy and the show leaned much harder into making Omni-man seem conflicted, I was wondering if people would buy the heel turn when it came but lol

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Roman Reigns posted:

Haven’t read the comics but is the whole thousands being killed in ten minutes in Chicago incident thanks to a superpower brawl going to be glossed over? It felt like by the end of the episode there was a definite “oh well back to business :v:” vibe going on throughout the world.

Not a comics spoiler, it seems like the world is constantly having mass casualties like that. The invasions of the fast-time aliens probably killed dozens to hundreds each time it happened, for example

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I do hope that in season 2 Mark gives his mom a goddamn hug. Kid needs to figure out how to not suck at all relationships.

Also I hope someone realizes that the whole planet was saved because Debbie is a good mom.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Jedit posted:

There's a few like that. If you want recommendations, the Hunter Rose era of Grendel and Marshal Law: Kingdom of the Blind stand out.

The Boys actually post-dates Invincible by a couple of years, but there were plenty of books treading the same ground before either of them. John Smith's New Statesmen and Mark Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme are two 1980s books that centre around a Superman analogue trying to take over America/the world. New Statesmen in particular has informed Garth Ennis's career; it has the same combination of sexuality and corruption that he used in The Boys, albeit played completely straight. There's also no way Ennis didn't read it because his own comic breakthrough, Troubled Souls, was the story that replaced it in Crisis magazine.

This should not be taken as a contradiction of anything you said, though. Everyone from the Bible to Joseph Campbell has told us there is nothing new under the sun. What makes a story good is how you work with the material.

There also Alan Moore‘s Miracle Man

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Roman Reigns posted:

The same way people are desentizied from wars and cop violence and terror I bet people would learn to live with the random alien invasion or super powered maniac taking control?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Piell posted:

Not a comics spoiler, it seems like the world is constantly having mass casualties like that. The invasions of the fast-time aliens probably killed dozens to hundreds each time it happened, for example

That really sucks. :(

^ Also that

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

I haven’t seen Whiplash so this is maybe the best acting I’ve seen from JK Simmons

You really should watch Whiplash.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Gyges posted:

Humanity's secret weapon is hot humans tricking Viltrimites into getting Grinched through the power of a child's joy. Really got to screen our sexy agents well to make sure none of them gently caress it all up by keeping their kids away from sports.
This is way more accurate than you think.

If you really think Nolan's heel turn is the plot twist you were waiting for then you have some serious critical analysis lessons to learn. Let me be more explicit: Nolan not being a sociopath is the loving twist. His internal (and external) conflict between duty and his family is the goddamn plot, and the twist is that his family won. It wasn't an easy win, and his duty and loyalty are strong, but in the end he decides his family is more important. That's insanely optimistic in this nihilistic world and genre and basically the reason the comic is pretty much my all time favorite.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Roman Reigns posted:

Book spoilers: It definitely won't and if the show follows the comic the repercussions will be pretty tragic

Re the events in Chicago: I don't think a train moving at like 25 miles per hour (tops, assuming the train wasn't decelerating as it pulled into the station for a stop) would result in everyone getting splatted by Mark and Nolan standing still and just letting the train's momentum push forward. People would get knocked around and someone sustaining a direct hit could be killed, but they wouldn't explode IMO

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Two little details I enjoyed were the fighters going all itano circus with their missiles, and while rolling down the street they subbed in the classic two frame rolling animation for like 4 seconds as a gag. Feels pretty deliberately homage'y

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Re the events in Chicago: I don't think a train moving at like 25 miles per hour (tops, assuming the train wasn't decelerating as it pulled into the station for a stop) would result in everyone getting splatted by Mark and Nolan standing still and just letting the train's momentum push forward. People would get knocked around and someone sustaining a direct hit could be killed, but they wouldn't explode IMO

The train is a lot of inertia and Mark's face is a very small point that isn't moving at all. There've been some pretty wild collisions between subway cars getting far into each other, and that's with a much bigger point of contact.

Plus, Nolan was definitely accelerating into people.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Probably not meant to think about this but how did Mark's teeth come back? Can Viltrumites regenerate adult teeth?

I'd assume it was dental work but how the heck do you open up and close up and work on his (nigh-on) invincible skin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

A wizard did it.