Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That’s endings C and D down.

...the gently caress happens now? I can’t wait to see how they justify an ending E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Uhhh when is it recommended to do Disturbing the Sleep of Kings? I keep getting one-shot by the big shade at the end of the bridge.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

Uhhh when is it recommended to do Disturbing the Sleep of Kings? I keep getting one-shot by the big shade at the end of the bridge.
Pop some defense doubling pills, you certainly have a ton stashed by now :c00l:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh my god, I only just remembered. Ending D spoilers: Ray Chase, Zach Aguilar, and Jamieson Price aren’t credited for any characters in the credits. :laffo:

Spoilery question about ending E: is it quick enough to get to after getting Ending D, like within an hour or so, or should I go to bed and get it tomorrow?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 30, 2021

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Oh my god, I only just remembered. Ending D spoilers: Ray Chase, Zach Aguilar, and Jamieson Price aren’t credited for any characters in the credits. :laffo:

Spoilery question about ending E: is it quick enough to get to after getting Ending D, like within an hour or so, or should I go to bed and get it tomorrow?

E route takes around 2 hours to reach, another maybe 2 to complete

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

RubberLuffy posted:

E route takes around 2 hours to reach, another maybe 2 to complete

Gotcha, thanks!

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Gotcha, thanks!

also you can't miss the trigger so feel free to skip skip skip

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Pop some defense doubling pills, you certainly have a ton stashed by now :c00l:

They didn't help!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You’ll have a chance to tackle it when you’re stronger, don’t worry.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

They didn't help!

Sorry pal :eng99: That was the very last sidequest I did before having 100% sidequests beaten + beating the game for the first time and I think I was around level 30-33 when I did it.

You can come back to this sidequest any time you want even after beating the game so I wouldn't sweat it for now if you're far under that level. Either come back around 30s or if you absolutely need to conquer it now your best bet is prob to staying at range, using magic, so you don't get hit and use magic ups to make it go by faster. I'm stubborn so I could see myself trying the latter haha.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah I just bailed and will probably come back before I hit Shadowlord’s castle. I just wasn’t prepared for the fucker to literally one shot me through a def buff! I don’t remember him being so bad on PS3, but I can’t remember at what point I actually did that quest sooooo.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm at the end of part 1, 14 hours in, and I have a TON of side quests left. I've done 16%. I looked them up and its a lot of fetch quests. Am I going to lock myself out of an ending, or make it more difficult to get one if I move on at 13% quests done?
Just wondering if I should pick off the easier ones to get to 25% or whatever or if it doesn't matter.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

cubicle gangster posted:

I'm at the end of part 1, 14 hours in, and I have a TON of side quests left. I've done 16%. I looked them up and its a lot of fetch quests. Am I going to lock myself out of an ending, or make it more difficult to get one if I move on at 13% quests done?
Just wondering if I should pick off the easier ones to get to 25% or whatever or if it doesn't matter.

Any weapons you get from sidequests in part 1 will be added to shops in part 2, so you can't miss any endings.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I'm realizing the one major downside to the new Mermaid content
The game takes fast travel away from you literally right after it gives it to you.

Also, speaking of, make sure you talk to the red-bag guy before starting it! He has a new sidequest for you in part 2 that's very :unsmith:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Blaziken386 posted:

I'm realizing the one major downside to the new Mermaid content
The game takes fast travel away from you literally right after it gives it to you.

Also, speaking of, make sure you talk to the red-bag guy before starting it! He has a new sidequest for you in part 2 that's very :unsmith:

'Okay, I need to hit up Seafront to finish this guy's quest, but I already know the new stuff takes place in Seafront, so I'll just wait until that pops and kill two birds with one stone. What's the worst that could happen?'

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Blaziken386 posted:

I did do his quest!

Think it's time to push forward!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

For whatever reason Kaine has this one line in the final level that really cracks me up, and even made me laugh harder each time she said it on successive final level clears: in the ball room she just goes out of no where goes "Buncha dancin' bastards."

There is something so spot on about this choice of words and delivery that could only come from an extremely, extremely angry person :discourse:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
new content spoilers: Nooo, Louise..!!! :cry:

This hits so much harder than any of the other Tragic Boss Backstories :smith:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah I just bailed and will probably come back before I hit Shadowlord’s castle. I just wasn’t prepared for the fucker to literally one shot me through a def buff! I don’t remember him being so bad on PS3, but I can’t remember at what point I actually did that quest sooooo.

I just beat him and yeah he does suck to kill. My strategy was to draw out his underlings and kill them far enough away that he could not attack me before getting in close and dark lancing him to death.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Dang, the new ending is very satisfying.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Minor spoilers for Nier: Is it ever explained why some shades/Gestalts are big freaky monsters? They're just supposed to be the extracted 'souls' of humans, right? Also where were all the Gestalts supposed to hang out while waiting for the virus to go away?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

fadam posted:

Minor spoilers for Nier: Is it ever explained why some shades/Gestalts are big freaky monsters? They're just supposed to be the extracted 'souls' of humans, right? Also where were all the Gestalts supposed to hang out while waiting for the virus to go away?

Gestalts can lump together into bigger conglomerate gestalts. In Shadowlord's crib presumably and a lot of them are stated to be in some kind of cryogenic stasis if I remember Grimoire Nier correctly

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Because it's a Yoko Taro joint, I'm trying really hard to avoid spoilers, but I also want to know if I'm missing anything in the sidequests. I'm still in part 1 of my first run, and it says I'm at 50% quests completed. I'm trying to check every town after every few main quest beats to make sure no one else is showing up with a sidequest, but are there any ones that are easily missed that I'd need outside knowledge to find?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

you are fine at 50%.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

I went back and checked my old LP to see when I did it; I apparently didn't even start it til the last couple of sessions just before our third playthrough's trip to the Shadowlord's castle so if I can't hack it before this first playthrough's trip, I'll do it on the second pass.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

Because it's a Yoko Taro joint, I'm trying really hard to avoid spoilers, but I also want to know if I'm missing anything in the sidequests. I'm still in part 1 of my first run, and it says I'm at 50% quests completed. I'm trying to check every town after every few main quest beats to make sure no one else is showing up with a sidequest, but are there any ones that are easily missed that I'd need outside knowledge to find?
as mentioned 50% is max for pt 1, it used to be 51%. there's one unlisted quest in the second part but only check this spoiler after getting an ending - the unlock scenario for it is weird

after getting the loyal cerberus fragment an npc will be in the desert just past the boat, you can talk to them and go through an unlisted quest - it involves reloading the area 2/3 times and going near the town to trigger the next section. after you're done it'll then be in the quest log as a single entry

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

beep by grandpa posted:

For whatever reason Kaine has this one line in the final level that really cracks me up, and even made me laugh harder each time she said it on successive final level clears: in the ball room she just goes out of no where goes "Buncha dancin' bastards."

There is something so spot on about this choice of words and delivery that could only come from an extremely, extremely angry person :discourse:

My sexuality is the way Kainé pronounces the word “book”. :swoon:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I feel like I have a pretty beast PC (3080, 5800x) and I still drop below 60FPS pretty consistently at 1440p.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I did it. I did all the flower bullshit. I can now fill all my plots with white flowers and easily acquire money.

The guides online kind of overcomplicate things. The one I was reading mentioned "if you don't have enough flowers of the necessary color after 1 day, go back to the first day and replant some," but you can easily just finish all the current flowers and get 2-3 seeds from each of the correct color ones you get and then plant those and double/triple the seeds again.

The worst part was the actual act of planting and watering all the seeds.

Fhqwhgads posted:

It seems like Devola in Nier's village tells you about any existing side quests in other towns. Does this apply to all side quests? I've been relying on her to let me know if there's stuff to do in other places.

fadam posted:

I feel like I have a pretty beast PC (3080, 5800x) and I still drop below 60FPS pretty consistently at 1440p.

If you haven't, try the SpecialK settings I used (Waitable Swap Chain and Sleepless Render). Also the game apparently doesn't work right at >60fps by default (everything speeds up from what I understand). I have a 2080S and was at like 40-50fps at 4k, and now I'm at an extremely steady 60fps at 4k (capped at 60fps, so if it were uncapped it probably goes a good deal higher). I'm pretty sure you'll get much better performance with the same fix, since 1440p is significantly less demanding than 4k and your PC is better than mine.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gently caress it, I've done about 25 side quests and gotten all of the part 1 weapons so I'm moving on to part 2.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

stev posted:

gently caress it, I've done about 25 side quests and gotten all of the part 1 weapons so I'm moving on to part 2.

That's what I ended up doing. I've played the game before, I knew what I was getting in to, and even then I just could not 100% the side quests. Maybe on my next run, but dang.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

I did it. I did all the flower bullshit. I can now fill all my plots with white flowers and easily acquire money.

The guides online kind of overcomplicate things. The one I was reading mentioned "if you don't have enough flowers of the necessary color after 1 day, go back to the first day and replant some," but you can easily just finish all the current flowers and get 2-3 seeds from each of the correct color ones you get and then plant those and double/triple the seeds again.

Most/all of the guides online assume you’re going to savescum it for maximum efficiency instead of just rolling with whatever comes up, since you’re having to wait actual real world days because on console (PS4 at least) the timer is set to the internal system clock rather than the user set one.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

the process is a lot more annoying on console since you can't change the time as much as you want, you can only mess around with timezones to peek at which flowers will change color. You still need to wait at least a day to actually harvest the seeds.
does watering seeds actually do anything for the purposes of cross-breeding? the impression I got from all the different guides was that mutation is determined the moment you plant the seed.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

That's what I ended up doing. I've played the game before, I knew what I was getting in to, and even then I just could not 100% the side quests. Maybe on my next run, but dang.

So long as you do the lighthouse lady quest I don't think there's anything else too memorable in part one sidequest wise.

:smith: That was a very depressing quest. Especially the conclusion to it in Part Two.

Augus posted:

the process is a lot more annoying on console since you can't change the time as much as you want, you can only mess around with timezones to peek at which flowers will change color. You still need to wait at least a day to actually harvest the seeds.
does watering seeds actually do anything for the purposes of cross-breeding? the impression I got from all the different guides was that mutation is determined the moment you plant the seed.

Gets you more seeds, which is crucial if you want to re-plant to maximize your chances of a Lunar Tear.

You also need 10 Pink Moonflower seeds for a quest in part 2 if you're going for 100%.

Also I recommend getting a full Lunar Tear farm going for money. Being able to harvest 10 and sell for 50,000 gold really, really helps out on weapon upgrades and buying random materials.

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 30, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

axeil posted:

So long as you do the lighthouse lady quest I don't think there's anything else too memorable in part one.

:smith:

Where do you get that one from? I don't think she's offered a sidequest since I met her in the story.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

stev posted:

Where do you get that one from? I don't think she's offered a sidequest since I met her in the story.

I believe several of the side quests in part 1 that involve the lighthouse lady start at the post office in Seafront, not the lighthouse itself.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

stev posted:

I believe at some point she will show up on the beach off to the east and ask you for help getting her mail. That kicks off the chain. I believe its 3 or 4 quests deep in Part One.

It's really worth doing. If all the sidequests were like this they'd be way more engaging.

It's like how in Automata the only sidequest you really, really should do is the one about the missing Android on Route B (late game Automata spoilers) because it tells you about the existence of E units and you can see how uncomfortable 2B is during the whole thing.

The main plot is great but the game would be a lot better if there were sidequests that better tied into the overall game narrative and theme.

One thing I've noticed since I have the soundtrack is how many songs are similar between Replicant and Automata to the point that I'm now wondering if there are connections that I'm missing. Like how the (end of part one spoilers + midgame Route A automata spoilers) Dark Colossus theme that plays when the village gets attacked/destroyed is very similar to the song that plays when the giant Kaiju attacks in Automata. I'm wondering if maybe it's somehow the same creature, except you end up killing the Colossus in Replicant so I'm not really sure.

A more concerning one is how Kaine's uh for lack of a better term "heartfelt" theme is called Grandma and yet in Automata that song is a very up-tempo combat-sounding song, unlike how in Replicant it's all piano and very slow and sweet sounding.

Which has me feeling very :ohdear: about what will happen to Weiss's favorite foul-mouthed hussy.

Emil (Automata spoilers) being in Automata and traumatized as gently caress if you fight his secret boss battle also has me really, really worried. But during that sequence I hadn't played Replicant so I had no clue what he was talking about and can't accurately recall it now.

Oh and The Big One is of course Song of the Ancients. What happened to Devola and Popola? :ohdear:

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 30, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

stev posted:

you only need to do 30 sidequests total to get Platinum anyway.
the tried and true formula still holds: if it's convenient to do, awards a weapon (or boar drifting), or seems like it might be an interesting story, do it. if it's a pain in the rear end that requires five hours of grinding in the junk heap, skip it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Am I doing fishing right? I'm poor so I bought a bunch of lug worms to farm for sardines, assuming that the fishing quest went sardines -> blowfish meaning I would use the sardines as bait for the blowfish. But uh, I used all my sardines and got a few rusty buckets, a tin can, and a lot of aquatic plants. No fish.

Augus posted:

you only need to do 30 sidequests total to get Platinum anyway.
the tried and true formula still holds: if it's convenient to do, awards a weapon (or boar drifting), or seems like it might be an interesting story, do it. if it's a pain in the rear end that requires five hours of grinding in the junk heap, skip it.

Also this sounds good to me because a lot of these quests are tedious, but is there a point where money is no longer a concern? Because, trying to avoid too many spoilers, I know I need to get all weapons in part 1 before moving on, and beastbain is pretty much unreachable after buying the new weapon that popped up in facade and getting some upgrade mats for my Virtuous Contract.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Doctor Nutt posted:

Am I doing fishing right? I'm poor so I bought a bunch of lug worms to farm for sardines, assuming that the fishing quest went sardines -> blowfish meaning I would use the sardines as bait for the blowfish. But uh, I used all my sardines and got a few rusty buckets, a tin can, and a lot of aquatic plants. No fish.

The lure/bait you need depends on the fish and the location and there's not much logical progression to it. Here's a guide:

Additionally when you try to catch the Sandfish you need to hook the fish the first time you feel a strong tug, rather than waiting for the bobber to go under.

https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/11029-nier-replicant-fishing-controls-tips-fish-locations-bait-list

Doctor Nutt posted:

Also this sounds good to me because a lot of these quests are tedious, but is there a point where money is no longer a concern? Because, trying to avoid too many spoilers, I know I need to get all weapons in part 1 before moving on, and beastbain is pretty much unreachable after buying the new weapon that popped up in facade and getting some upgrade mats for my Virtuous Contract.

Sidequests in Part Two give a fair amount of cash. You can also sell materials when you get 99 of them (like dented metal plates, bolts, etc).

I recommend if you're trying to get 100% to set up a Lunar Tear (White Moonflower) garden as you'll need a Lunar Tear anyway for the Master Gardener achievement and 10 Lunar Tears sell for 50,000.

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 30, 2021