Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 19, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 19, 1999)

Garfield Classic (August 19, 1989)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Doomykins posted:

"Jucika and the Robot Man"

Robot Mark: Origins

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I'm glad other people were also prompted to look up where to buy new/used Discmans by this ridiculous Funky arc.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

You can make fried butter by taking some and rolling it in flour and such to make a protective shell before frying it. Also wow that Arlo and Janis.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I can't believe Batiuk is trying to SOME GIZMO the story of Funky's fall towards the first step. Incredible.

I'm enjoying Princess Deer because I think it's a great example of outsider art and some brilliant trolling by Neysa McNein. She just put a striptease on the comics page for a week and I have no idea how it was received, but I hope she considered it a success.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Some time ago Techmoan on youtube showed off a lot of like 50-60 MiniDisc players he bought online and also that there were lots of 100 or 200 players available as well, I imagine it's much the same with discmen.

He even got a free HI-STANDARD album out of it!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

1979 Nancy

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I just got my nephew three Wallace the Brave books for his birthday. I assume they'll be a massive hit.

The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I just assume Funky is a luddite and would never use eBay or Amazon, so if you take out online vendors then yeah there's nowhere else you're going to find a Sony Discman outside of maybe getting lucky at a flea market.

I'm also still not sure why Barry is so hated in Intelligent Life other than "he likes sports therefore bad."

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

davidspackage posted:

Imagine being in Funky's AA meetings and having this boring rear end in a top hat just drone on and one, pausing for a tired, smug quip every few sentences.

I thought the same thing when I watched Rocket Man. Can you imagine being an alcoholic having a really bad day, who really needs a meeting to keep from relapsing out of stress, and then Elton John/Funky turns up to tell his entire life story/an entirely unremarkable and pointless anecdote?

I never ever read anything from the Funkyverse or the Holbrook Hellworlds because they are both pretty boring (and in Holbrook’s case, very confusing). I’m still glad they’re posted here though, because everyone’s angerposting about them is far, far funnier than any joke these comics could ever write.

And daaaaaamn, A&J REALLY gently caress.

E:

Always such a lovely surprise to see a Far Side I somehow missed, despite owning five or six collections! Thanks for this :)

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 30, 2021

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Does anyone else kinda wish they'd kill Travis? Not that I don't like the character, but HE'S A GODDAMN HEAD IN A JAR. :smith:

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Author Unknown?

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website
My Author Unknown? intro guide password is TheOther

Note that La Pipistrelle, a code name Shelley has used in the past, roughly means "The Bat", dervied from the genus Pipistrellus. "pieni lepakko" means (according to google translate) "The Small Bat" in Finnish. No points for guessing who "The Small Bat" is.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I like every strip where Travis is happy and he's quite an optimistic guy, he can be happy with just the engagement of good conversation or any fun situation. Look at that bathtub panel. :3: He doesn't crave death, the little designated rear end in a top hat just needs to let him chill and live life.

(Scary Gary is a great strip and Leopold is a fine character, the question with every designated rear end in a top hat is why anyone obeys his demands or doesn't shoot him.)

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (March 21, 1992)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
This Mamilla and the last have been two ton heavy. Even has me rethinking Santanen's son(Rane) and his terrible personality. With a dad like Santanen... be nice if Rane could turn himself around.

Yes I recognize that him taking Atte's room is a perfect set up for a dramatic development caused by that current rotten personality. But drat man. That panel where he disowns and threatens to kill Rane in the same breath. And now with Sauli.. Uki, keep this man on!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

"drat it, girl! Our very important guests were going to be so impressed by our plain cylindrical glass tumblers, but now they know that we haven't owned them since time immemorial! That guy is probably Daddy's boss or something, since having your boss over for a fancy dinner (and impressing him enough to get that juicy promotion!) is clearly a thing that happens in the real world and not just in sitcoms from 50+ years ago. Also, why hasn't anyone invented socks yet?"

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Drimble Wedge posted:

Does anyone else kinda wish they'd kill Travis? Not that I don't like the character, but HE'S A GODDAMN HEAD IN A JAR. :smith:

I hate strips with Travis. His situation is too grim and gross to be funny to me. The non-fantastical version of his character is a paralyzed man being held captive in a basement somewhere. Incidentally I feel the same way about the heads in jars in Futurama, especially since that setting clearly has the technology to give them cyborg bodies or whatever so there's no reason for people to exist that way. Anyway, that's my complaint, thanks for reading.

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 31, 1944)

The Medieval Castle (Dec. 31, 1944)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Medenmath posted:

The Medieval Castle (Dec. 31, 1944)

:smith:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (March 21, 1992)

I'm sure this has been covered but is Laundry Pole one of these inscrutable Finnish puns?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Medenmath posted:

I hate strips with Travis. His situation is too grim and gross to be funny to me. The non-fantastical version of his character is a paralyzed man being held captive in a basement somewhere. Incidentally I feel the same way about the heads in jars in Futurama, especially since that setting clearly has the technology to give them cyborg bodies or whatever so there's no reason for people to exist that way. Anyway, that's my complaint, thanks for reading.

Aleta is 💯 in control of this situation shes perfect for Val

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I'm sure this has been covered but is Laundry Pole one of these inscrutable Finnish puns?

I think it's a airing dirty laundry joke.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I’ve been assuming it’s an allusion to something like “airing the dirty laundry.” I do love an inscrutable Finnish pun though, Mr. Music and I have been making viperless milk jokes for years now.

(Also want to say, I love Mammila and I’m really glad it’s being posted! I’m worried about all the characters atm, because I’m so invested in all their intertwining lives. Feels really true to small town life.)

efb by two minutes, drat

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://twitter.com/normfeuti/status/1388142304947474434?s=19

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Poor doggie.

I wonder if boar taint was an issue back then, or if they just didn't care.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

1. Bernice loses her drat mind at even the thought of maybe hinting to a boy that she might have a crush on him. Perhaps she is not the ideal person to decide when the best time is to tell someone you love them.

2. When deciding whether to tell someone you love them, I think whether or not you actually love them is, in fact, a relevant detail to take into account.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Professor Wayne posted:

I just got my nephew three Wallace the Brave books for his birthday. I assume they'll be a massive hit.
I gotta buy a gift for a 12-year-old in June and you just solved my problem. :)

F Minus

Mark Trail

I thought nothing would ever make me take the side of an HOA, but Cherry is being a poo poo here. She's not even wrong about native plants, but her attitude sucks.

Mary Worth

Guess the shift's over.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Uh...have a not big wedding?

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm also still not sure why Barry is so hated in Intelligent Life other than "he likes sports therefore bad."

Intelligent Life is low-key one of the most meanspirited strips posted here and Reddick is the sort of nerdy person who feels nothing but scorn towards anyone he views as either less nerdy OR more nerdy than himself.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Medenmath posted:

I am thoroughly enjoying Val being a Dramatic Teenager :allears:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

I thought nothing would ever make me take the side of an HOA, but Cherry is being a poo poo here. She's not even wrong about native plants, but her attitude sucks.

What the hell? gently caress the HOA and Cherry is far too soft on them.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 GRONNKK

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

The Lockhorns

Footrot Flats

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Comet

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I think it's a airing dirty laundry joke.

That makes sense but it did not occur to me.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

Excellent burn, Hector.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
drat why isn't Hector like this anymore

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Just Dan Again posted:

It's amazing how Lynn can be correct here, in that it's good for schools to offer safety lessons for young drivers, yet the utter misery of Michael in the panels and the weird shift into parent-martyrdom in the punchline still make her opinion read as utterly hate-able.

The other thing that makes this so hate-able is that she's actually being a big snob here. In yesterday's strip, Michael brought home what appears to be an older friend, Artie, who had a night off from work and was willing teach Michael how to drive. But just because he looks like a punk, Lynn starts going on about how Michael can get qualified driving instructors instead, and isn't it good how driving school offers programs so that you could learn from professionals?

Julet Esqu posted:

1. Bernice loses her drat mind at even the thought of maybe hinting to a boy that she might have a crush on him. Perhaps she is not the ideal person to decide when the best time is to tell someone you love them.

2. When deciding whether to tell someone you love them, I think whether or not you actually love them is, in fact, a relevant detail to take into account.

Team Evans really doesn't want Gunther to do anything wrong, so now he's not even allowed to participate in the conversation. :laffo:

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Guess the shift's over.

This is still creepy as hell. This woman's a complete stranger that outright admitted she knows what Cory looks like because she's stalking following his Instagram posts, and now she's acting so familiar with him. Their current interaction has been imbalanced, with Cory offering up information about himself while this stranger holds all the cards and hasn't said a single detail about herself. And now she wants to ask him for a favor? A sensible person would tell this creep to get lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Man, remember Netscape Navigator?