Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kedo posted:

I mean, in The Hobbit Gandalf straight up drops some AOE lightning on a group of goblins and kills them. His magic is subtle most of the time, but he definitely wrecks dudes with it occasionally. He also talks to animals and cures Theoden by basically just talking at him, so he clearly packed some points into his charisma stat and is a hybrid dps/heals class.

Uhhh pretty sure he does not do AOE lightning. He *does* throw some fire around, but like I said that could be directly because he possesses the ring of fire, not because of his own "spellcasting" ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cmdrk posted:

i think the problem comes down to the fact that not everyone can be Gandalf.

I recall SWG at launch being like, "bruh, you can totally be a jedi. you just have to figure out the secret path :smuggo:"

then later they were like "ok we actually added it in, but its SECRET!" and folks quickly figured out that you had to grind badges and random professions and you could unlock jedi. and it loving sucked but at least they were kinda rare.

then they did the combat upgrade and everyone could be a jedi and it was way worse.

Yeah, its a problem with the fiction. That's what I said previously, you can't upstage gandalf. (But even Gandalf doesn't have the abilities of a level 5 mage in World of Warcraft)

SWG jedi were a whole mess.

Originally they took an INSANE amount of work. This meant almost nobody could be Jedi, but it meant if you saw one in-game it was appropriately amazing and rare and they were really powerful and knowledgeable about the world.

Then yeah, they made it so you could roll a level 1 jedi. But how do you balance a level 1 jedi with level 1 dancers and level 1 bounty hunters?

You end up giving him a vibro-sword instead of a light-saber and making him miss most of the time and have basically no abilities. So a sort of weird adult padawan (too old to being the training!) who sucks.

It does create a real awkward balance problem though. This is why most games based on pre-existing fiction kinda suck. Ideally you create a fresh IP to fit your game mechanics as needed. If there's no preconceived notions, then you can do whatever you want.

I do really like the idea of having a rare prestige class though, where people see you and go "wow, you're a _____!" But its hard to implement in a way that doesn't feel unfair to others.

kedo posted:

Man I really wish I had given SWG more of a go back in its heyday, everything I ever read or hear about it makes me think it was right up my alley and I was just oblivious.

It was really weird and slow but man it was so cool for what it was.

IMO the "golden age" peak of MMOs was split between Everquest and SWG. Both had an amazing sandbox experience that trusted the players to figure out how to do ANYTHING but made things rewarding as hell.

SWG had the best economy ever. Actual player-built towns popping up, with different shops that had different price margins and profitability based on their location... just amazing stuff.

Course the game also meant a lot of hours of sitting in some low-poly bar and dancing for twi'leks to grind stats... but still. Golden age!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 30, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I just started up LOTRO myself to see the sights around ME, and I will admit that it is surprisingly fun just running around the Shire and doing small tasks. I haven't even gone very far east of Hobbitton yet.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ibblebibble posted:

I just started up LOTRO myself to see the sights around ME, and I will admit that it is surprisingly fun just running around the Shire and doing small tasks. I haven't even gone very far east of Hobbitton yet.

yea this is the LOTRO experience really, quest design is frustrating with how much you get sent back to places and all and there's tons that boil down to different flavors of 'Aragorn needs 10 bear asses, for reasons! RANGER reasons!' but...I mean if you like Middle Earth yea you're gonna have a fun time just running around places you read about/saw in the movies and seeing what some random Took motherfucker needs done even if it is just 'the wolves are messing with my farm, bring me their asses! I'm a Took, like Pippin!'

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Kaysette posted:

SWG was my first MMO and part of me has been lowkey chasing that experience ever since. Probably time for me to check out whatever SWG EMU server is in vogue these days...

Same. There's no way it's been almost 18 years since it's release, right?

I've tried playing the original SGWEMU, but just like WoW Classic, it's not really the same...

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Uhhh pretty sure he does not do AOE lightning. He *does* throw some fire around, but like I said that could be directly because he possesses the ring of fire, not because of his own "spellcasting" ability.

The Hobbit posted:

(From the scene where the group is taking shelter in a cave and goblins spring out of nowhere to capture them)

"When the goblins came to grab him, there was a terrific flash like lightning in a cave, a smell like gunpowder, and several of them fell dead."
:goonsay:

In general I agree with you, but arguing about Gandalf's powers is a custom as old as the internet and I must partake! This was indeed most likely from his ring of power, but it still sounds an awful lot like AOE lightning to me. ;)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I feel like if I did all the poo poo you needed to unlock Jedi I wouldn't want to play the game anymore.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A problem that solves itself from the dev's perspective. If Jedis were going to be too powerful, make it to where the only way to become one is to ruin the game for you and make you never want to play.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

kedo posted:

:goonsay:

In general I agree with you, but arguing about Gandalf's powers is a custom as old as the internet and I must partake! This was indeed most likely from his ring of power, but it still sounds an awful lot like AOE lightning to me. ;)

I mean that kinda sounds like he just shot them

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ngl that hardcore challenge version of Jedi where you make the most out of inevitably getting murdered sounds rad as hell

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Gort posted:

I mean that kinda sounds like he just shot them

I would absolutely read the LOTRO fanfic where Gandalf's true power is that he's the only dude in all of Middle Earth who has a gun.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

kedo posted:

I would absolutely read the LOTRO fanfic where Gandalf's true power is that he's the only dude in all of Middle Earth who has a gun.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

the 'you shall not pass' scene but instead of his staff slamming down it's just a shotgun cocking sound effect

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

sexpig by night posted:

the 'you shall not pass' scene but instead of his staff slamming down it's just a shotgun cocking sound effect

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
as a huge LotR nerd, I really appreciate the restraint they used with magic in LotRO. Maiar could do a lot of what you'd describe magic of they were inclined, given that they helped create the universe, but Gandalf was meant to be a guide for the people of Middle Earth to solve their own problems.

also when Maiar and Valar really started to break out their power the last time they sunk a ton of middle earth to the west of the Shire, so it makes sense when Gandalf was sent he had restrictions on how he should guide people.

ultimately I like the more subtle magic Tolkien usually included

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

That article states permadeath for Jedi was scrapped...but I could have sworn that was actually in? Or was it just skill loss?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GoGoGadget posted:

That article states permadeath for Jedi was scrapped...but I could have sworn that was actually in? Or was it just skill loss?

I believe it was just a concept (a really amazing one especially with the Fallout-like progressively harder bands of NPCs hunting you) that was scrapped due to permadeath being a no-no in MMOs.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It's never too late for some Star Wars to actually implement that as a mechanic

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i, too, like settings where magic exists and can be powerful, but is used sparingly, and lotr delivers that really well, yeah. also a big reason why ep4 is my fav starwar. there's a couple special people and they can do some magic tricks but the story would work just fine without it with a couple extra turns you know, like sneaking into mos eisley at night instead of driving into it in broad daylight or luke having chuck yeager talent and eyesight for hitting that hole instead of magic 6th sense

then there's the other end of the spectrum with arcanepunk poo poo like eberron, where magic is so common it's basically just a stand-in for electricity and practically everyone has access to some of it, even if it's as simple as a light switch for their room. can do a lot of fun stuff with that poo poo too

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish I had played Matrix Online before it shut down.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I thought about playing LotRO again, but all my characters are stuck in limbo and no sign of a new legacy server, so I just watch a youtube guy's videos of him playing when the legacy servers were released.

kedo posted:

That's kinda like Ralph Bakshi's Wizards.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

he cocks his staff like anthony anderson in scary movie 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOL5UF5WSX4

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I said come in! posted:

I wish I had played Matrix Online before it shut down.

I played for a hot second and man I dunno why you wouldn't want to make the combat good in a Matrix MMO. I know MMOs generally have bad combat and it was even worse back then but it was baaad in comparison to other games of the time.

galenanorth posted:

It's never too late for some Star Wars to actually implement that as a mechanic

Only part that wouldn't work is the SWG idea would end with your being hunting by Darth Vader is an unwinnable fight if you kept showing yourself too much.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 1, 2021

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

Pandaal posted:

Excuse me sir or madam but you should appreciate a discord that FOTMs. You could be in my discord, which plays the same 5 year old games into perpetuity forever and ever.

It's pretty good, there's no GDN bot tracking when and what I post on discord too.

I really hope the wider Something Awful community gaming community can break free of the 1984 style surveillance that has been implemented in the name of "quick authing"

Also, my new atlas Island is named Valinor since we've won 5 seasons in a row of this terrible game so the groups earned it.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Does anyone have a spare beta key for SOLO I could grab? Would like to try it out in a closed beta before buying in

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I was reading that Camelot Unchained is never coming out, so what are we looking forward to (and being disappointed by)? New World?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

fenix down posted:

I was reading that Camelot Unchained is never coming out, so what are we looking forward to (and being disappointed by)? New World?

Ashes of Creation looks underwhelming (visually at least, maybe the gameplay is supergood), and there's some kind of special-invite-alpha coming up.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i am still amazed that ashes looked a lot more like a quick money grab than star citizen early on and now they seem to be wrapping up their core game development and releasing some playable poo poo soon lmao

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

fenix down posted:

how can C.U. never come out? They email me multiple times a day.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

busalover posted:

Ashes of Creation looks underwhelming (visually at least, maybe the gameplay is supergood), and there's some kind of special-invite-alpha coming up.
Oh yeah looks like it could be guild wars 2-ish.

cmdrk posted:

how can C.U. never come out? They email me multiple times a day.
Valid question. I was on the kickstarter but unsubscribed from update emails because of the spam.

What I read was that the company is focusing their efforts on developing another game instead of CU, which kicked off a wave of people requesting refunds on kickstarter (and then complaining that they are not being refunded).

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
14,873 backers pledged $2,232,933 to help bring this project to life.

0 backers received the product they paid for or their money back.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fenix down posted:

Yeah Camelot Unchained ended up being a scam. New World is what a lot of us are looking forward to. That is the MMORPG that is the closes to being finished right now, along with Swords of Legends Online.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Yeah Camelot Unchained ended up being a scam. New World is what a lot of us are looking forward to. That is the MMORPG that is the closes to being finished right now, along with Swords of Legends Online.

Crucible was "finished" and now doesn't exist. I really don't trust Amazon games based on how that game was handled.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I really wish LOTRO's combat didn't feel like dogshit. FF14 spoiled me in that I can use a gamepad, and sit back and enjoy myself. The days of 1234 hotbar poo poo is over.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FF14 is a hotbar game from what I remember.

Camelot Unchained might've been fun but then they got all into dumb poo poo like voxel building towers. Might as well just play the private Warhammer server.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
it's pretty lolzy that every single kickstarter MMO suffers from insane scope creep.

I've been watching the Project N development streams daily this week https://twitch.tv/alovingrobot

It's been fairly interesting to follow, if for no other reason than the random tidbits of EQ dev knowledge from the guy, but I worry they too will suffer from a ton of scope creep just trying to remake EQ.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shroud of the Avatar is the wildest to me because I think Garriott just pocketed the money rather than the feature creep all the rest (like Pantheon) fall prey to. It raised more than EQ cost in today's dollars to develop. Plus you know Richie is rich enough to self-fund such an endeavor (thanks in part to another failed MMO).

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Groovelord Neato posted:

FF14 is a hotbar game from what I remember.

Camelot Unchained might've been fun but then they got all into dumb poo poo like voxel building towers. Might as well just play the private Warhammer server.

It is but being able to bind them to a gamepad alleviated the tedium of hot bar combat for me, for some reason

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Housing? Necessary addition absolutely. In fact it should be the first thing we release and also 70% of the content we produce is housing related. There are three enemy models and all the spells are palette swaps of each other, but we have 400 cabinets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

I believe it was just a concept (a really amazing one especially with the Fallout-like progressively harder bands of NPCs hunting you) that was scrapped due to permadeath being a no-no in MMOs.

reminds me a lot of how in epic MUD Materia Magica if you prestiged into the Archon class Archon Hunters would phase out of nowhere all the time to gently caress you up. that mud was badass

https://www.materiamagica.com/game-guide/world/classes-and-professions/archon.html posted:

Once a player reaches level 60, total level 240, they are considered to have achieved everything possible within the ordinary class system. They may petition a questmaster to undertake the challenge presented by the Domain of Arbaces, a treacherous dungeon located within the Proving Grounds on Irda Isle. Heroes who are able to battle their way to the bottom of the Domain are eligible to become Archons, an elite rank above that of Hero. Archons exist outside of the normal confines of the class system, advancing not across the normal 1-60 range, but starting at 61:241 and advancing towards 241:241 via Archon Points.

As a benefit of reaching the rank of Archon, adventurers reaching 61:241 are granted attribute maximums 2 above previous, and vital stat maximums 1000 above previous. In addition, they are granted access to special spells and knowledge of esoteric spells that no regular classes receive.

Archons' supremacy does not come without a cost, however. A fearsome race of otherworldly hunters known as the Ithrix hunt Archons for sport, teleporting to Archons at will and attempting to kill them. Elite Ithrix known as Archon Hunter Masters are even stronger, and are powerful enough that often groups of several Archons are required to survive battles against them. The Ithrix are frequently difficult to kill, but Archons that persevere will be rewarded with the Archon Points that they use to advance.

Smythe fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 5, 2021