Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Also you stupid fucks keep voting with your wallets that current paradox policy is good.

Actually I bought these 20,000 copies of Leviathan as a long-term investment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Going to sell Johan's deleted apology as an NFT.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

V for Vegas posted:

Going to sell Johan's deleted apology as an NFT.

He apologized and then deleted it?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Farecoal posted:

He apologized and then deleted it?

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Corpo-speak apology time:

And now it was taken down...

It was so obviously bullshit that even he couldn't keep it up.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Let's start a thread in QCS to get Jeffrey to purchase a majority stake in Paradox with his bitcoin wealth.

The board of directors will be:
Chairman: A Buttery Pastry
Vice chairman:Groogy
Member: AAAAA! Real Muenster
Member: Koramei
Member: Baronjutter

EU4 will never receive a broken patch ever again.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

To anyone who has seen Johan post before, that apology was very obviously not written by him. They probably realized it would be appear disingenuous to post a blatant PR-written apology through his personal forum account.

I can't think of any other reason why they'd delete it.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I don't think anyone's going to be learning a lesson here (yet). Maybe after the next quarter call.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 30, 2021

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

guidoanselmi posted:

I don't think anyone's going to be learning a lesson here (yet). Maybe after the next quarter call.

Let's see, the news is just starting to trickle into the stock news about the terrible reception and lack of handling about it from Paradox. I would hope that there is some sort of official announcement today since what we have seen so far have only been the terrible apology by Johan which was removed - and some half-assed apologies on twitter and talk about what a swell guy Johan is by Fredrik Wester.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It looks like OMX was only open for 4 hours today and is going to be closed for the weekend. Who knows where the stock will end up

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
So I've spent a lot of time in the f1 thread so I can't tell if you are being serious.

Did a patch for EU4 cause the company to implode?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Grevlek posted:

So I've spent a lot of time in the f1 thread so I can't tell if you are being serious.

They accidentally included a lot of internal memos and (lack of) growth projections in EU4 event text, so now all the investors are freaking out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Grevlek posted:

No, though it did make the community implode.

Paradox published a patch and expansion for EU4 that was busted beyond belief, buggy even by Paradox standards. By even Old Paradox standards. That said, their stock will probably be fine in the immediate term. I wouldn't expect anything notable to happen on that front unless they release an earnings report that indicates that this cost them a lot of money somehow (something we can't say will even happen at this point).

Even if everyone refunds the expansion and the sales go to poo poo, it's just an expansion for a years-old game. I doubt even that would move the needle much for investors.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

No, though it did make the community implode.

Paradox published a patch and expansion for EU4 that was busted beyond belief, buggy even by Paradox standards. By even Old Paradox standards. That said, their stock will probably be fine in the immediate term. I wouldn't expect anything notable to happen on that front unless they release an earnings report that indicates that this cost them a lot of money somehow (something we can't say will even happen at this point).

Even if everyone refunds the expansion and the sales go to poo poo, it's just an expansion for a years-old game. I doubt even that would move the needle much for investors.

CK3 is pretty well received, and the recent Stellaris DLC and patch are noticeably bug free (relatively). Even Imperator gets some grudging recognition as being no longer in a terrible state. Yes, EUIV just had a patch that made people compare it to SotS2, but as an investor, that wouldn't make me abandon the company, considering the state of the other IPs.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Torrannor posted:

CK3 is pretty well received, and the recent Stellaris DLC and patch are noticeably bug free (relatively).

The Stellaris patch had a big population growth change that was pretty negatively received and is being walked back in a point patch. Not really a remarkable development but I wouldn't say it was a smooth release. It's not getting as much heat as Leviathan, but it's getting the usual Paradox DLC negative review bomb.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Torrannor posted:

CK3 is pretty well received, and the recent Stellaris DLC and patch are noticeably bug free (relatively). Even Imperator gets some grudging recognition as being no longer in a terrible state. Yes, EUIV just had a patch that made people compare it to SotS2, but as an investor, that wouldn't make me abandon the company, considering the state of the other IPs.

Yeah, if I were an investor I would be much more concerned if this happened to CK3 instead. Not to downplay EU4 since it's still my favorite paradox game, but I think even if the absolute worst case happens and everyone drops EU4 for good, investors would probably just call for EU5 to happen sooner. (as a non-investor, i am calling for this too, though it seems paradox wants to teethe the new barcelona studio on EU4 for a while longer)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 30, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Re: Unionization and Tinto

pdxjohan posted:

Tinto has a CBA as well.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

The Stellaris patch had a big population growth change that was pretty negatively received and is being walked back in a point patch. Not really a remarkable development but I wouldn't say it was a smooth release. It's not getting as much heat as Leviathan, but it's getting the usual Paradox DLC negative review bomb.

come on. it's not being walked back and representing it that way is kind of disingenuous. did you think that just because they released the patch with the numbers tuned a particular way that they were completely committed to those numbers? the underlying system is not changing at all. and frankly all of the rest of the patch & DLC changes are objectively good, which is not really the norm for stellaris. it's one of the best major releases they've had for that game.

the "usual" negative review bomb doesn't even register to pdox by now i'm sure. it's generally very random which DLCs get hit by it and it's rare for the rating to stay bad for very long. leviathan on the other hand will still be poorly rated at the heat death of the universe

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cease to Hope posted:

The people that were upset over the growth change are still morons, but no matter how badly received the growth changes were, you could undo the part that really irked players with a single line change, and mods to do just that were out within a day. Apart from that, even the espionage system that was seen with a lot of skepticism mostly gets a stamp of "it's actually not terrible". And the overall economic changes are great.

That's no comparison to rulers suddenly having stat scores in the millions, the game crashing if you visit a specific interface while the map is over Indonesia, or EUIV basically making your safe file unplayable (as in, it can't be played since there are suddenly no nations anymore) while also erasing your autosaves (as happened to a big EU streamer live on twitch!). People are not clamoring to get refunds for Nemesis, in contrast to EUIV Leviathan.

Edit: And as the poster above me said, the pop growth changes are not walked back, since the general system remains roughly the same, just the relatively hard soft cap on total empire population was made not quite so hard.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 30, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I imagine there's a gigagillion people still chugging along with CK/HOI/Stellaris who have no idea Leviathan happened and never will

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Let's start a thread in QCS to get Jeffrey to purchase a majority stake in Paradox with his bitcoin wealth.

The board of directors will be:
Chairman: A Buttery Pastry
Vice chairman:Groogy
Member: AAAAA! Real Muenster
Member: Koramei
Member: Baronjutter

EU4 will never receive a broken patch ever again.

submitting my resume for coder:
1. edited HoI unit names in notepad in 2006

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I imagine there's a gigagillion people still chugging along with CK/HOI/Stellaris who have no idea Leviathan happened and never will

submitting my resume for coder:
1. edited HoI unit names in notepad in 2006
You need to more than double your posts in this thread to even get near being a contender.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

guidoanselmi posted:

It's like Mass Effect 3's ending though. You don't see all of the negative effects of a bad release until the next release, which tanks because everyone remembers what a shitshow the last thing they bought from you ended up being.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

is the paradox user base really demanding constant and steady releases of content over intermittent but polished releases though

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

both is the vibe i get tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGsHq-mZI8U

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Gort posted:

It's like Mass Effect 3's ending though. You don't see all of the negative effects of a bad release until the next release, which tanks because everyone remembers what a shitshow the last thing they bought from you ended up being.

if paradox has any competition, maybe, but this is the game people sink two thousand hours on for eight years because what else is there

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That would be me. I haven't touched EU4 in several years. I just noticed the steam reviews at 9% and came here to see what was up.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Gamerofthegame posted:

if paradox has any competition, maybe, but this is the game people sink two thousand hours on for eight years because what else is there

I'm a huge Paradox gamer but I don't buy every DLC. I have hundreds of hours in Stellaris and I don't have Lithoids or Necroids 'cause neither of them really spoke to me. Likewise with Hearts of Iron 4 and Battle For The Bosporus.

There's also the, "buy at launch or buy on sale a year later" effect to consider

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I'm quite happy that I sold off my shares in the company yesterday that I have had since the IPO, since loving up one of their flagship IPs and then not even communicating is not what I would expect from a company of Paradox's size and I think the stock will drop more than the 6 % it has decreased this week. I thought originally that I would buy back in but unless they take some more drastic measures to ensure quality going forward I think I will stay out.

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 30, 2021

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jazerus posted:

come on. it's not being walked back and representing it that way is kind of disingenuous. did you think that just because they released the patch with the numbers tuned a particular way that they were completely committed to those numbers? the underlying system is not changing at all. and frankly all of the rest of the patch & DLC changes are objectively good, which is not really the norm for stellaris. it's one of the best major releases they've had for that game.

the "usual" negative review bomb doesn't even register to pdox by now i'm sure. it's generally very random which DLCs get hit by it and it's rare for the rating to stay bad for very long. leviathan on the other hand will still be poorly rated at the heat death of the universe

I think the 3.0 patch is fine and people are overreacting but the fact is that it had a fairly significant negative response. That's not a good release in the sense that it's not positive press or public goodwill, even if I am enjoying Stellaris right now.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Yeah if you think investors are blasé about a launch this horrible then idk what to say. I can guarantee that, especially for a business as focussed on DLC sales as Paradox is, loving up your reputation with two sequential poo poo launches, both of which had a year of dev time, is something that gets you yelled at.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The Steam DLC reviews just seem like another part of pissing away all their goodwill. It's stupid nerd rage to react that way but I think the unhappiness with Pdox is real.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sampatrick posted:

Yeah if you think investors are blasé about a launch this horrible then idk what to say. I can guarantee that, especially for a business as focussed on DLC sales as Paradox is, loving up your reputation with two sequential poo poo launches, both of which had a year of dev time, is something that gets you yelled at.

Which two sequential poo poo launches are we talking about here?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Which two sequential poo poo launches are we talking about here?

Emperor wasn't as bad of a launch as Leviathan, but it was also absolutely riddled with bugs and nonfunctional features when it released.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sampatrick posted:

Emperor wasn't as bad of a launch as Leviathan, but it was also absolutely riddled with bugs and nonfunctional features when it released.

Ah, Emperor was the EUIV DLC before Leviathan? That also went badly? Yeah okay, that's definitely very worrying.

I guess they do plan to go to EUV sometimes soonish? Of course the transition to CK3 was helped a lot by Holy Fury being one of the best DLCs CK2 ever had, everybody went with a lot of goodwill to the new game. The dev diaries also made people happy, I remember how excited we were when they were released. I don't know when they plan to come out with the fifth Europa Universalis game, but doing it on the back of one bad release and one catastrophic one won't be helpful at all.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Ah, Emperor was the EUIV DLC before Leviathan? That also went badly? Yeah okay, that's definitely very worrying.

I guess they do plan to go to EUV sometimes soonish? Of course the transition to CK3 was helped a lot by Holy Fury being one of the best DLCs CK2 ever had, everybody went with a lot of goodwill to the new game. The dev diaries also made people happy, I remember how excited we were when they were released. I don't know when they plan to come out with the fifth Europa Universalis game, but doing it on the back of one bad release and one catastrophic one won't be helpful at all.

Afaik, the communication from Paradox was that they were intending to release more DLC this year so development on EU5 probably hasn't even started yet. EU5 is also going to be the first game that Tinto has ever done and afaik a lot of the team is people from the community who don't have any experience actually developing a game as opposed to just modifying an existing one. I don't know who will end up lead developer but after Imperator, Emperor, and Leviathan I find it pretty unlikely Johan will end up in charge for EU5.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
They have also been pushing their new subscription service quite heavily with EUIV - I think these debacles mean that it will be on to a less than auspicious start. Furthermore, this was also the big launch of their new studio in Barcelona and supposed to build confidence in the Paradox Tinto brand that will handle the Europa Universalis IP going forward.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Don't forget Stellaris mobile. And the disaster that is shaping up to be Vampire 2.

Paradox has engaged in a fair bit of value destruction in its expansion efforts.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

And even if Imperator is in a pretty good state now, it's already bled off basically all interest, which doesn't bode well for DLC sales. Hell, last I checked the numbers, Vicky 2 had more players.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Alchenar posted:

Don't forget Stellaris mobile. And the disaster that is shaping up to be Vampire 2.

Paradox has engaged in a fair bit of value destruction in its expansion efforts.

Lmao I forgot about stellaris mobile

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Alchenar posted:

The entirety of the White Wolf buyout has been disaster after disaster. It's not every day that an RPG book is so terrible that it causes an international incident.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

AnoHito posted:

And even if Imperator is in a pretty good state now, it's already bled off basically all interest, which doesn't bode well for DLC sales. Hell, last I checked the numbers, Vicky 2 had more players.
Not really fair putting it up against the greatest game of all time.

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

They have also been pushing their new subscription service quite heavily with EUIV - I think these debacles mean that it will be on to a less than auspicious start. Furthermore, this was also the big launch of their new studio in Barcelona and supposed to build confidence in the Paradox Tinto brand that will handle the Europa Universalis IP going forward.
Paradox Tinto ... Para..Tinto .. ... Pa into ... Pinto :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Vicky 3 is getting scaled back, but deepened. It now takes place from 1919 to 1941. You are tasked with transforming formerly-tsarist Russia into an industrial powerhouse strong enough to be ready for Barbarossa. Are you a bad enough dude to drag the people's soviet republic kicking and screaming into a position of industrial, economic and technological dominance?