Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

brand engager posted:

What does basecamp actually do?

I think they make a less popular jira?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
https://twitter.com/moonpolysoft/status/1386849733721812998?s=20

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

brand engager posted:

What does basecamp actually do?

Project management software and Hey which is an email app.

I've never used Basecamp. I hear it's ok but not like a revolution or anything.

Tried hey and thought it was neat but I'm not a heavy user for emails in my personal life so didn't see enough value to fork out $.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
The column about the Basecamp thing on The Verge does, uh, not make it sound like a well-meaning policy implemented clumsily.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

quote:

There’s always been this kind of unwritten rule at Basecamp that the company basically exists for David and Jason’s enjoyment,” one employee told me. “At the end of the day, they are not interested in seeing things in their work timeline that make them uncomfortable, or distracts them from what they’re interested in. And this is the culmination of that.”

This is sort of the core isn't it?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Hi devs, I am not a dev but I work in a .NET shop with devs and I want some outside feedback.

We’re starting to use some outside contractors for occasional dev project work and we need to figure out their workstation setup. In the before COVID times local devs were in office or just connecting into their physical desktops in the office when remote.

This is not as ideal with contractors because you end up with a stack of dell workstations in the server room and it’s not super scalable with the need for physical hardware and all the problems that come with it.

Are any of you using some sort of VDI or Windows Virtual Desktop-type setup where you are? If so how is performance with the usual toolset? In our case the main resource hogs would be docker desktop and Visual Studio.

If you’ve been brought in for temp work at a new company and you aren’t provided with a desktop, how have they given you access to local resources?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
https://www.platformer.news/p/-what-really-happened-at-basecamp

my favorite detail is that all of this is because david got owned so hard he namesearched the person that pissed him off, found their old posts, then used those as a parting shot. that'd get you a probation or a ban around here! amazing.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Hi devs, I am not a dev but I work in a .NET shop with devs and I want some outside feedback.

We’re starting to use some outside contractors for occasional dev project work and we need to figure out their workstation setup. In the before COVID times local devs were in office or just connecting into their physical desktops in the office when remote.

This is not as ideal with contractors because you end up with a stack of dell workstations in the server room and it’s not super scalable with the need for physical hardware and all the problems that come with it.

Are any of you using some sort of VDI or Windows Virtual Desktop-type setup where you are? If so how is performance with the usual toolset? In our case the main resource hogs would be docker desktop and Visual Studio.

If you’ve been brought in for temp work at a new company and you aren’t provided with a desktop, how have they given you access to local resources?

Why does the development work need to happen on on-prem hardware?

I'd expect to either get a laptop from the client, or a bunch of BYOD security policy compliance paperwork. That laptop would have Visual Studio/IntelliJ/VS Code/whatever other tools I need to get the application(s) I'm working on running locally. I'd connect that application to on-prem dev resources and test hosts through a VPN, and cloud-based dev/test resources directly or through an SSH tunnel. Deployments would ideally be orchestrated by some kind of automated tooling, but if they were done manually, that's about the only time I'd expect to break out Remote Desktop over the VPN as a matter of course.

I work for a midsize firm that has clients from midsize to global-enterprise scale. The last time I had a client-provided desktop was more than five years ago, and even then it was kind of a joke that didn't matter because I just used the laptop my employer issued to me. I've heard of teams stashing a spare laptop at a site so they can remote in, but that's usually in the context of "we need to be able to troubleshoot this one legacy thing we're working to replace, that expects an on-prem host and breaks over VPN" rather than any kind of day-to-day work.

Doing dev work 100% over remote desktop sounds unpleasant and anachronistic. But, if you do really want to do that, I'd keep in mind that remote desktop environments are a standard cloud offering from AWS (Workspaces) and Azure (Windows Virtual Desktop). For temps and contractors, renting resources by the hour is almost always a better idea than signing a lease on some physical hardware.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We have some contractors on VDI setups for reasons above my pay grade and by all accounts it sucks and no one cares about fixing the problems because employees all have company laptops with VPN access.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I've had to remote into a machine for a job before. It's awful. After a while I couldn't stand the fact that even clicking a button would have a long, noticeable delay that could go up to 2 seconds, so I said I'd quit. They suddenly sent me a laptop with VPN access. Huh!

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

You could always do what a company I know did: buy a dedicated IP for every developer and leave their workstations plugged directly into the internet with the RDP ports open...

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Good plan, nothing could possibly go wrong.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

fourwood posted:

The column about the Basecamp thing on The Verge does, uh, not make it sound like a well-meaning policy implemented clumsily.

kitten emergency posted:

my favorite detail is that all of this is because david got owned so hard he namesearched the person that pissed him off, found their old posts, then used those as a parting shot. that'd get you a probation or a ban around here! amazing.

I read these articles back to back and got super confused because they read exactly the same. Then I realized they were the same author... :doh:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

And the Basecamp response:
https://world.hey.com/dhh/let-it-all-out-78485e8e

I appreciate the people who made anonymous complaints about the head of a small company to HR. That went about as well as you would expect.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

kitten emergency posted:

Or, under the Lowtax regime, Lowtax would just do exactly this.

All hail Jeffrey of YOSPOS, the First Citizen of these most August Forums!

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Space Gopher posted:

Why does the development work need to happen on on-prem hardware?

I'd expect to either get a laptop from the client, or a bunch of BYOD security policy compliance paperwork. That laptop would have Visual Studio/IntelliJ/VS Code/whatever other tools I need to get the application(s) I'm working on running locally. I'd connect that application to on-prem dev resources and test hosts through a VPN, and cloud-based dev/test resources directly or through an SSH tunnel. Deployments would ideally be orchestrated by some kind of automated tooling, but if they were done manually, that's about the only time I'd expect to break out Remote Desktop over the VPN as a matter of course.

I work for a midsize firm that has clients from midsize to global-enterprise scale. The last time I had a client-provided desktop was more than five years ago, and even then it was kind of a joke that didn't matter because I just used the laptop my employer issued to me. I've heard of teams stashing a spare laptop at a site so they can remote in, but that's usually in the context of "we need to be able to troubleshoot this one legacy thing we're working to replace, that expects an on-prem host and breaks over VPN" rather than any kind of day-to-day work.

Doing dev work 100% over remote desktop sounds unpleasant and anachronistic. But, if you do really want to do that, I'd keep in mind that remote desktop environments are a standard cloud offering from AWS (Workspaces) and Azure (Windows Virtual Desktop). For temps and contractors, renting resources by the hour is almost always a better idea than signing a lease on some physical hardware.

It for sure doesn’t need to happen on prem. Ultimately there are a lot of on prem resources that anything they’re making will need to hit for testing and such due to the way our older dev environments work.

We currently use Horizon for a few devs but we’re not setup to scale out much and ideally any new resources would be in Azure. I’m mostly wondering about real world performance with Visual Studio and Docker in a dedicated WVD VM like this, or if everyone is just using VPNs.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Hughlander posted:

Female Developer.txt?

I'm not a developer, but I've worked with the application I test long enough I'm sometimes able to work out which scenarios will put the fighting fish in a tank together. Of course, people generally don't solicit my opinion, I just do it as a part of my QA/testing and sometimes the devs say something like 'oh, I never thought about that', then fix it. Oh well.

I feel like I don't really belong here given I'm a software tester, not a developer, but I figure you all can enjoy my misc software company woes, and I've had a couple this week, so here you go:

Yesterday I worked out the tester who was hired partially to take over some of my job responsibilities because I'm currently spending far too much time doing a bunch of things useful to the organisation that aren't actually testing has apparently said he's been testing something for over a week now but a.) hasn't actually had a superadmin login associated with his work email to our system since he started working here, and b.) only started testing this bit of functionality today. I know this because the functionality involved creating a brand new table, and there's nothing in there at all inside the environment we generally test in. I'm speechless. I've worked with useless people before, but never someone who says they've started on something when they haven't. I've let my boss know and we're having a chat about it on Monday.

I feel kinda bad about it, maybe I should have kept a closer eye on the situation because until recently testing has largely been my domain, but he was hired to take on some of my testing tasks, this was one of them, and while he's apparently had access to our system via another account, he didn't say anything to us about how he didn't have access through his work email, so dunno what I was supposed to do there.

And today, I accidentally updated everything in a table in the database, and not in a good way. I was working on creating a specific scenario in our demo environment for a demo someone is doing on Tuesday, I noticed a typo, and because our UI doesn't allow you to correct typos in our system (yes this is dumb, I know), I did an UPDATE statement and somehow I missed the WHERE clause and got that terrible sinking feeling when I realised I had renamed more than 16,000 rows from whatever they were previously to something about getting qualified in gas installation and plumbing. Thankfully, the senior developer was able to restore it from a recent backup. But man, that moment I realised what I'd done and the pit of my stomach fell out.. Not great.

To top this off, my partner teaches a databases cause and has shared this anecdote with his class as a cautionary tale and while I know this is not the first nor last time someone has done something like this... I feel incredibly stupid.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

froglet posted:

And today, I accidentally updated everything in a table in the database, and not in a good way. I was working on creating a specific scenario in our demo environment for a demo someone is doing on Tuesday, I noticed a typo, and because our UI doesn't allow you to correct typos in our system (yes this is dumb, I know), I did an UPDATE statement and somehow I missed the WHERE clause and got that terrible sinking feeling when I realised I had renamed more than 16,000 rows from whatever they were previously to something about getting qualified in gas installation and plumbing. Thankfully, the senior developer was able to restore it from a recent backup. But man, that moment I realised what I'd done and the pit of my stomach fell out.. Not great.

Was the tool you were using set to auto-commit? Every db tool I've used out of the box is set up so commands are in a transaction and don't actually change the database until you type "commit;" so it's generally hard to fat finger an update...

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Forgetting a WHERE clause is pretty much a rite of passage

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Was the tool you were using set to auto-commit? Every db tool I've used out of the box is set up so commands are in a transaction and don't actually change the database until you type "commit;" so it's generally hard to fat finger an update...

Since I don't know, I assume the answer is 'yes'.

The incredibly stupid thing is I did have BEGIN TRANSACTION and ROLLBACK TRANSACTION set up for the statement, and it worked... But when I commented them out I also commented out the WHERE clause. :doh:

I really have no excuse - I was in a rush, it was Friday, I wanted to finish this coz I'd already spent too much time on this task, and normally I don't worry about typos too much, but it was for a demo and I wanted it to look good... :sigh:

At least the senior dev was able to fix it?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I had a guy show me a trick that works at least in SSMS; if you just write a bunch of gobbledygook at the end of the statement, it will always error out if you run the full DML text in the editor, but if you select just the statement in the editor window and not the gobbledygook, it forces you to double check what the statement is doing and makes updates/deletes much more intentional.

Not that it seems like that would have affected this situation, but seems a good enough excuse to share a tip that has stuck with me over the years.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

froglet posted:

Since I don't know, I assume the answer is 'yes'.

The incredibly stupid thing is I did have BEGIN TRANSACTION and ROLLBACK TRANSACTION set up for the statement, and it worked... But when I commented them out I also commented out the WHERE clause. :doh:

I really have no excuse - I was in a rush, it was Friday, I wanted to finish this coz I'd already spent too much time on this task, and normally I don't worry about typos too much, but it was for a demo and I wanted it to look good... :sigh:

At least the senior dev was able to fix it?

I don’t do gatekeeping often, but whenever I hear stories like this I restate my belief that you’re not a real developer until you’ve taken down production. And the more you take down production the more real developer you are.

In the Google SRE book is a story of a developer who wiped out their entire cache, globally, with a single command. For a brief few minutes the world’s internet experience was slower while their cache warmed back up. That developer is my hero.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I was updating an email template by hand in Production (because we didn't have a less stupid way at the time) and accidentally replaced "Hello $username" with "Hello CPColin" on one of our more frequently sent emails. Within a few minutes, users were posting pictures from my MySpace account and being like, "This the guy?"

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

CPColin posted:

I was updating an email template by hand in Production (because we didn't have a less stupid way at the time) and accidentally replaced "Hello $username" with "Hello CPColin" on one of our more frequently sent emails. Within a few minutes, users were posting pictures from my MySpace account and being like, "This the guy?"

Oh nooooo!

lifg posted:

I don’t do gatekeeping often, but whenever I hear stories like this I restate my belief that you’re not a real developer until you’ve taken down production. And the more you take down production the more real developer you are.

In the Google SRE book is a story of a developer who wiped out their entire cache, globally, with a single command. For a brief few minutes the world’s internet experience was slower while their cache warmed back up. That developer is my hero.

I am absolutely, in no way, shape, or form, a developer. My career is entirely based off barely graduating computer science, realising that everything I touch turns to poo poo and making a career out of that.

This is further helped by my bizarre ability to learn just enough about the system I'm testing/using and whatever quasi-related applications I can get my hands on that I can then exploit or otherwise bend to my will to automate repetitive tasks so I can actually get back to doing useful testing work.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CPColin posted:

You can always identify experienced SQL writers because they start with the WHERE clause.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

CPColin posted:

Or LIMIT and crashing a DB server. I liked the option MySQL's GUI had to prevent you from updating or deleting without a WHERE.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Fwiw I'm in product and even recently moved into a mgmt job. So I'm basically the bad guy.

If it's ok for me to post here it's surely fine for a qa.

... I have taken down production. It was an errant JOIN.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

froglet posted:

Yesterday I worked out the tester who was hired partially to take over some of my job responsibilities because I'm currently spending far too much time doing a bunch of things useful to the organisation that aren't actually testing has apparently said he's been testing something for over a week now but a.) hasn't actually had a superadmin login associated with his work email to our system since he started working here, and b.) only started testing this bit of functionality today. I know this because the functionality involved creating a brand new table, and there's nothing in there at all inside the environment we generally test in. I'm speechless. I've worked with useless people before, but never someone who says they've started on something when they haven't. I've let my boss know and we're having a chat about it on Monday.

I feel kinda bad about it, maybe I should have kept a closer eye on the situation because until recently testing has largely been my domain, but he was hired to take on some of my testing tasks, this was one of them, and while he's apparently had access to our system via another account, he didn't say anything to us about how he didn't have access through his work email, so dunno what I was supposed to do there.

As a manager I have always try to err on the side of "So-and-so seems like a decently capable person, I'm sure they will do what they say they will and ask questions when they get stuck" and then invariably a useless person will slip in. As I've gotten more experienced, I've gotten better at asking specific questions to ensure understanding and progress. I never want to micromanage or hover but unfortunately some amount of hovering seems required at the start. Now as part of the onboarding process I watch them work for a while so I can figure out what their deal is.

At this point I have an idea of what everyone's weak points are and where they're likely to need more help but those first few weeks of working with someone is always a crapshoot.

It doesn't sound like you're officially managing this person, just responsible for testing alongside them, which is frustrating. I definitely know the feeling of depending on a useless person and having the fun options of either doing their work for them or managing from the sidelines with no actual authority. Turns out I prefer managing so I made sure to get paid and titled appropriately.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

froglet posted:

I'm pretty sure critically scuffing a database is a time-honored tradition and more of a rite of passage. Each member of our team has at least some story of just really wrecking a DB in some way. I wrecked our telemetry completely by overwriting timestamps. Another person deleted 2 million records by 'migrating' the data to nowhere...somehow. Another person on our team actually completely wrecked the entire thing by killing the service on the host because a query 'seemed slow'.

You are in good company.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

... I have taken down production. It was an errant JOIN.

One of us.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Back when I worked on software that ran on user's PCs I launched multiple highly effective DDOS attacks against our servers.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

froglet posted:

I'm not a developer

Ok but

froglet posted:

I feel incredibly stupid.

froglet posted:

My career is entirely based off barely graduating computer science, realising that everything I touch turns to poo poo and making a career out of that.

This is further helped by my bizarre ability to learn just enough about the system I'm testing/using and whatever quasi-related applications I can get my hands on that I can then exploit or otherwise bend to my will to automate repetitive tasks so I can actually get back to doing useful testing work.

It sounds an awful lot like you actually are?

At the very minimum being able to make everything you touch turn to poo poo sounds like a phenomenal ability for a tester so long as you can semi-reproducibly turn it to poo poo!

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

ultrafilter posted:

You can always identify experienced SQL writers because they start with the WHERE clause.

It makes me really mad that SQL statements start with SELECT. How tf do I know what I want to select when I don’t know from where, or why, or what I’m grouping by, or anything? The columns to select should be the last thing in the statement! Grumble...

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

It makes me really mad that SQL statements start with SELECT. How tf do I know what I want to select when I don’t know from where, or why, or what I’m grouping by, or anything? The columns to select should be the last thing in the statement! Grumble...

Don't know that it's a reasonable justification, but starting with select is closer to how you'd say it in English. You'd say "Get me a plate from the kitchen", not "From the kitchen, get me a plate."

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

That's actually a really good point, and as far as writing scripts go, you could make better use of IntelliSense on the column names and such if you've already written down the table name.

No awkward shuffle between starting with "SELECT * FROM table;" to "SELECT Col1, Col2 FROM table;", et cetera...

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Let me explain how three years of latin prepared me for a career in tech...

Thank you. This week my peer in engineering said I'm the only product person she's met at our -software- company who understands anything about -software-. Yikes.

I feel a little tricked, actually. On paper we're a SAAS company with award winning culture. But the actual product culture is feature factory toxicity, an aging monolith that is secretly not even fully SAAS and all the worst big legacy company cliches. I think other parts of the company actually live up to the marketing and we're the bad apples.

So if anyone is actually working in an empowered product environment, or really just not living in 2010, and has a lead Product Manager or manager of product manager opening. Call. me.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

chglcu posted:

Don't know that it's a reasonable justification, but starting with select is closer to how you'd say it in English. You'd say "Get me a plate from the kitchen", not "From the kitchen, get me a plate."

That is the reason. SQL was originally "Structured English Query Language" and was specifically designed to have queries be a normal english sentence.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.businessinsider.com/googles-resistance-to-going-fully-remote-is-frustrating-employees-2021-4

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
One of the guys at my new company was telling me he changed jobs because he was tired of working from home, he went out, bought a bunch of suits etc and then 3 months later covid hit. Now the company is selling its office and going 100% remote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

froglet posted:

I'm not a developer

froglet posted:

I am absolutely, in no way, shape, or form, a developer.

froglet posted:

my career is entirely based off barely graduating computer science, realising that everything I touch turns to poo poo and making a career out of that.

sounds like you're too hard on yourself, you're describing like 90% of the developers I've ever interacted with