Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's the wrong sort of politics for 2021: the Tory sleaze meme is designed to appeal to the voters in a supposed centre ground that doesn't really exist any more. The people who don't like Boris already don't like him; the people who do like him either don't care, or actively support 'their guy' boisterously smashing through the rules.

I think the centre ground does still very much exist, its larger than the left seemingly at least. And this stuff does appeal or work for them.

It's just not large enough by its own, unless the polls turn out completely wrong which... Has happened every election since 2010 pretty much. But isn't likely to redound to labour's benefit since kieth is just fully unconvincing.

With a decent leader I honestly think they'd be doing OK without the left. Kier just sucks total rear end and can't peel off any lib dems or soft tories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lmao did kieth really do a John Lewis photo op

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jose posted:

Yep

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56932548

quote:

Tory chairwoman Amanda Milling said the Labour leader was "playing politics" by posing with rolls of wallpaper in a branch in Manchester.

Love how the tories always criticize anyone else of 'playing politics' when they do it ALL the time.

*Disclaimer: not a fan of Starmer.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jfc lol

Also lol at boomer death lust

https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1388057764186972160?s=19

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Jose posted:

people kept saying that but all i saw was a bunch of wallpaper

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

prefect posted:

Fits in with people who paint murals about how great the US Civil War was.

It's impressive just how consistently derpy loyalist murals are.

Republican areas of Belfast have largely replaced all the old IRA murals with new artwork celebrating civil rights activism across the world or scenes from Irish history/folklore. The city centre is overflowing with incredible street art commissioned from artists around the world. And then you go to a loyalist area and it's poo poo like the above.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Sound on.

https://twitter.com/UkrainianAK/status/1387846342626750464

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Communist Thoughts posted:

I think the centre ground does still very much exist, its larger than the left seemingly at least. And this stuff does appeal or work for them.

Naah. Look at the 2019 election numbers:

Tories (right) - 14m
Labour (left) - 10m
Lib Dems (centrists) - 3.5m

If there really is this significant swathe of centrist opinion, where is it? I know I'm simplifying juuust a little with those numbers but I do think they support my view that most voters have become polarised and that the centrist 'swing' vote is actually pretty titchy.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Naah. Look at the 2019 election numbers:

Tories (right) - 14m
Labour (left) - 10m
Lib Dems (centrists) - 3.5m

If there really is this significant swathe of centrist opinion, where is it? I know I'm simplifying juuust a little with those numbers but I do think they support my view that most voters have become polarised and that the centrist 'swing' vote is actually pretty titchy.

But do you think the centrist vote is smaller than the left vote?
I think it'd be very difficult to make that claim about the UK.
Those numbers don't really represent anything regarding this imo

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

With a decent leader I honestly think they'd be doing OK without the left. Kier just sucks total rear end and can't peel off any lib dems or soft tories.

repeated elections across countries and across years have amply demonstrated that the left will turn out, and turn out in droves, for liberals and centrists and technocrats who want nothing to do with the left aside from harvesting their votes and election volunteer work. despite everything, I think the left will still turn out for Kier when election day comes.

as you say though, the people who kier is trying to appeal to (the mythical centrist voter) know that kier is a loser and have responded in the way voters are supposed to respond: by not voting for kier, not giving him money, and not working for his campaign.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

"the centre ground" shifts about. it's different places.

the centre is, in practical politics, a compromise position between interests strong enough and invested enough to win an election. traditionally in europe, the main interests have coalesced around the power of the labour movement and that of the capitalist class, so talking about tacking to the centre is meaningful in a real way; blair won by adding the new homeowner interest to the labour-oriented coalition and dissuading big-business opposition, but that only works for so long and the tories managed to reinvent themselves and take that homeowner interest back under cameron. corbyn identified a different coalition that he hoped could win power (and which nearly did!) - educated, precarious young people in the cities providing a massively enthusiastic source of party cadres with the remnants of the labour movement providing experience and structure, hoping to keep and win older, communitarian people in the "left-behind" areas. this coalition was ruptured by brexit, never to return

what i'm driving at is that "the centre ground" could very well be between the cities and the countryside; compromises always have to be made, but it's not obvious that they have to be compromises to the traditional right-wing interest complex. so long as people think that a party will serve them, they're likely to vote for it. starmer's problem isn't that he's uniquely ill-qualified, it's that nobody feels as though they're being especially served by his brand of politics - appeals to honest governance are OK given how obviously dodgy the tories are being, but people vote for their perceived interests and have no particular reason to feel that starmer would be significantly less sleazy. at the same time, he's keeping a very low policy-wise profile which is precisely the wrong move when you're attacking a remarkably stable and well-put-together interest coalition (homeowners, big business, nostalgic nationalism) - you have to break someone off and make the requisite compromises for that, or you have to try to mobilise someone else. at the moment he's not satisfying anyone

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the "centrist vote" being smaller than the "left vote" may be true and also not matter much if one candidate can get 90% of the "left vote" and compensate with enough of the "centrist vote" to outweigh them, especially in a FPTP system. this is why triangulation works. the issue, of course, is that the longer that goes on, the more you erode the "left vote" and so you have to make ever further inroads into the "centrist vote" until there's basically nothing left there anymore

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
If Gove’s media pals and Cum Tzu really want to knife Johnson why don’t they just make something up targeted to unsettle his base and relentlessly lie about it for four years? Proven tech

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i don't think they're actually interested in destroying the conservative party. this stuff seems to me to be commings warning bojo to back off, or else

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Shame really, imagine a no-party state with FPTP. Gloriously cursed

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the man is an op and there is no way around it

https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/1388084425477476352?s=20

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
The idea that he thinks he can troll his way to victory with centrist wallpaper memes is funnier though

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Wait John Lewis is a home improvement store?

I kept seeing the name and thought he was doing a whole "My famous (recently deceased) black friend" bit lol.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

its a department store, upscale but still attached to malls. its like trying to burn trump for being an out-of-touch-rich-guy by going to nordstrom to pick out a juicer

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jose posted:

the man is an op and there is no way around it

https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/1388084425477476352?s=20

the labour right people just do not understand politics at all

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Shogi posted:

The idea that he thinks he can troll his way to victory with centrist wallpaper memes is funnier though

https://twitter.com/_georgeabby/status/1388107594397589512?s=20

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

the labour right people just do not understand politics at all

theyre trying to lose and theyre extremely competent at it. the only election theyve been mad about is 2017

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

It's impressive just how consistently derpy loyalist murals are.

Republican areas of Belfast have largely replaced all the old IRA murals with new artwork celebrating civil rights activism across the world or scenes from Irish history/folklore. The city centre is overflowing with incredible street art commissioned from artists around the world. And then you go to a loyalist area and it's poo poo like the above.

Post some, I wanna see the good Irish murals cuz this one is dogshit lmbo

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1388119584146874375?s=20

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Tulip posted:

Post some, I wanna see the good Irish murals cuz this one is dogshit lmbo

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
When people say "centrist" we really mean small l liberal

The problem with centrism/liberalism is that effectively liberalism (especially neoliberal economics) has won since the 80s in one form or another, but generally people have figured their lives are getting worse.

So it's very difficult for say a right wing Labour party to suggest they are going to make people's lives better while also appealing to the idea of inalienable property rights, landlords and ever rising house prices, just to name a few things

I'm very partial to the idea of the political history of 2008 onwards being described as the perpetual crisis of liberalism and think it will be remembered as such in the future

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Holy poo poo you, I'm loving jealous.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm very partial to the idea of the political history of 2008 onwards being described as the perpetual crisis of liberalism and think it will be remembered as such in the future

the total inability of the labour right to recognise how things changed after 2008 and the damage done by austerity is breathtaking. like sure they were for austerity until corbyn came along but they weren't in power and can ignore that fact and yet they dont

its why they're doomed to keep losing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you mean loudly telling young people to gently caress off constantly means they don't want to vote for us?

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-whats-gone-wrong-for-sir-keir-starmers-party-since-december-12291340

quote:

Sir Keir's party has almost entirely erased their 26 point lead over the Tories amongst 25-49 year olds last December.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

remeber when teresa may said that thing about the moldy jam that was funny

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jose posted:

the total inability of the labour right to recognise how things changed after 2008 and the damage done by austerity is breathtaking. like sure they were for austerity until corbyn came along but they weren't in power and can ignore that fact and yet they dont

its why they're doomed to keep losing

Jeremy Gilbert has a whole essay on how Corbyn only railed against the past 10 years to appease the Blairites but really needed to rail against the past 40 (including Blair)

It's unbelievable how the media and Labour right have convinced themselves that what people in places like Hartlepool want is someone like Starmer when the uniting feature of the "red wall" is that they loving HATED new labour

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

Jeremy Gilbert has a whole essay on how Corbyn only railed against the past 10 years to appease the Blairites but really needed to rail against the past 40 (including Blair)

It's unbelievable how the media and Labour right have convinced themselves that what people in places like Hartlepool want is someone like Starmer when the uniting feature of the "red wall" is that they loving HATED new labour

well you see the only people who live in the red wall are racist miners

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jose posted:

well you see the only people who live in the red wall are racist miners

literal Labour right mainstream opinion there

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the phrase red wall loving sucks lol it got invented in 2019 and politicians and the press pretended like it had always been a thing

lmao arlene foster is quitting the DUP altogether

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Jose posted:

the phrase red wall loving sucks lol it got invented in 2019 and politicians and the press pretended like it had always been a thing

lmao arlene foster is quitting the DUP altogether

it had been a thing since at least as far back as 1986 when brian jacques published the first volume in his much-loved fantasy novel series,

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Hmm yes the party that voted in the piccaninnies with watermelon smiles guy to kill 100,000 extra people and rule that leaseholders need to pay for their overlords’ murdercladding to be replaced, whose ratings are still going up. They will be tainted forever by the stain of dissing department store wallpaper

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord
Idk what it is but every pic I see of Keirth he looks like he's about to cry stern tears of rage or something

It's like that look of vague disgust you always see on Tucker Carlson's mug

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Next week is going to be carnage behind the scenes, Labour are going to get crushed and Starmer is going to have to negotiate not admitting any weakness to the left while also avoiding getting knifed by the proper Blairites

Still convinced Dodds will get the sack after a reshuffle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

Next week is going to be carnage behind the scenes, Labour are going to get crushed and Starmer is going to have to negotiate not admitting any weakness to the left while also avoiding getting knifed by the proper Blairites

Still convinced Dodds will get the sack after a reshuffle

its bizarre that people think rachel reeves is any good lol