Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well, he's a loving idiot with a massive audience that hangs on his/his guests' every words and it's been like that for almost a decade, so he needs to come up with a new soundbite that sounds more convincing pronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Joe "I'm a liberal but all of my guests and opinions are conservative and libertarian" Rogan

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
LOL, came to this thread when I saw CNN was gunning for him https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/28/media/daniel-ek-responds-joe-rogan-podcast-controversy/index.html

Anyone who takes medical advice from Rogan has probably already invested all of their life savings in alpha brain supplements and the bunker in their parents' backyard to protect them from Russian biological weapons/ NSA spooks/ and mind probe aliens. He's literally just a health nut who's convinced that his exercise/testosterone/diet/supplement regiment is the cure to everything the world has ever seen. He's not the first, by a long shot.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Joe "I'm a liberal but all of my guests and opinions are conservative and libertarian" Rogan

Yep. He was so excited on election night when Trump was ahead for a bit, too. He dismisses his Trump fawning with a very impressive "the guy is hilarious" stance.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sand Monster posted:

Yep. He was so excited on election night when Trump was ahead for a bit, too. He dismisses his Trump fawning with a very impressive "the guy is hilarious" stance.
Joe Rogan is dead to me. Long live Bill Burr!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Bill Burr had a really weird rant about the AOC top marginal tax rate of 70% where he complained that this was going to impact the "little guy making over one million". Bill Burr is just as moronic, they're the same.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Yeah burr refers to liberals as leftists, that's all you need to know

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Evil Agita posted:

Yeah burr refers to liberals as leftists, that's all you need to know

Most people who don't spend hours of their day posting on a dead gay comedy forum do this.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

XIII posted:

Most people who don't spend hours of their day posting on a dead gay comedy forum do this.

We already knew about dumb people, you didn't have to highlight them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1387533856157356040?s=20

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

FogHelmut posted:

You could fill in something similar for most members of the intellectual dork web. The exceptions being the ones who openly state that they're right wing or conservative.

Fame Douglas posted:

Bill Burr had a really weird rant about the AOC top marginal tax rate of 70% where he complained that this was going to impact the "little guy making over one million". Bill Burr is just as moronic, they're the same.
Bill Burr might be an idiot about the tax rate, but at least when Rogan was saying dumb stuff about not wearing masks, Burr said something to the effect of "Uh I dunno, I'm not a doctor, you're not a doctor, so I think I'll listen to the doctors here and wear a mask."

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

You could fill in something similar for most members of the intellectual dork web. The exceptions being the ones who openly state that they're right wing or conservative.

"Classical liberals"

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

He really is a fuckwit, and I’m embarrassed to have listened to him from the beginning.

All of these comedians are narcissistic, grifting germs that no one should listen to any more.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Burr and Rogan both have no real education to speak of. Before they got into comedy, Joe Rogan was a martial arts instructor and delivered newspapers on the side. Bill Burr drove a fork lift. You're getting those takes in with their podcasts.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

FogHelmut posted:

"Classical liberals"
There you go. Like Eric "I'm a liberal but I work for Peter Thiel" Weinstein.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Burr and Rogan both have no real education to speak of. Before they got into comedy, Joe Rogan was a martial arts instructor and delivered newspapers on the side. Bill Burr drove a fork lift. You're getting those takes in with their podcasts.
Rogan's takes are definitely consistent with "supplement peddler who does a ton of drugs and got hit in the head a lot."

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 29, 2021

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Paul F Tompkins dropped out of college

Jordan Peterson was literally a PhD professor

Formal education is only very loosely correlated with being a dumbshit

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Saying you have a college degree does not usually correlate with whether you applied yourself. That question is never asked.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Engineers and doctors are remarkable morons.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

whydirt posted:

Jordan Peterson was literally a PhD professor

Formal education is only very loosely correlated with being a dumbshit
Yeah, if anything, academia tends to breed even bigger, scarier types of dumbshits: The "I can't be a dumbshit! I know all about (insert more-likely-than-not narrow field of expertise here)!"-type of asshat that's oblivious to the fact that they're giant loving morons outside of that.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Zugzwang posted:

There you go. Like Eric "I'm a liberal but I work for Peter Thiel" Weinstein.

Billionaire businessmen being allowed to do exactly what they want is the most liberal thing there is.
The only conflict is that America mostly doesn't know what the word means and somehow think it means the opposite.

Zugzwang posted:

It makes sense for newly multi-millionaire comics to lean to the right on taxes.
They're at least honest about their own self-interest.

The left-wing equivalents with newfound netflix/podcast wealth are also undoubtedly keen to keep their money & live in luxury, they just don't talk about their tax dodging, and vote for the most right leaning democrats possible who won't change anything to hurt their net worth.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

He addresses his vaccine comments in today's episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PloZ-GB9tzA

As predicted, it's partly his standard "I'm not a doctor, I'm an idiot!" defense, with a side of "the media sensationalized it for headlines!". He also throws in a very flimsy "I was ready to get the vaccine but it was too much of a hassle and then they pulled it" comment for added :rolleyes:.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
“Their argument was, you need it for other people ... But that's a different argument. That's a different conversation."

It isn’t!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
People forget that Rogan shilled for the fleshlight once upon a time.

It's always amazing/amusing to me that people will take health advice from a self proclaimed meathead.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's not surprising idiots listen to him at all. He's incredibly fit and healthy for his age and knows and interacts with hundreds of people who are at the peak of fitness due to their careers.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He's incredibly fit and healthy for his age? There are people that believe that?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Am I seeing the same Rogan you are? The meathead is in his 50's with a kick like a bazooka. He literally has a full gym in his podcasting bunker.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He's certainly fit, but noting about him screams "healthy" to me. Also, how do you know his "kick".

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Physically he's healthy but like mentioned earlier, he has the mental health of a dude who's been punched and kicked too many times during his teenage years.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Also, how do you know his "kick".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3N5Rnx37O0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAxz0gLMx6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp6ZrvYPtMc

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 30, 2021

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

AndyElusive posted:

Physically he's muscular.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, IIRC Joe literally holds world records (or at least, used to) for kicking power. He is in really good shape for his age, which probably has something to do with being a lifelong martial artist, then lucking into multi-millions and access to the best trainers, dieticians and facilities that money can buy. Oh, and TRT, of course.

AndyElusive posted:

Physically he's healthy but like mentioned earlier, he has the mental health of a dude who's been punched and kicked too many times during his teenage years.

Yeah this exactly. It's also been said many times, but he should have stuck to being a martial arts commentator.

whydirt posted:

Aw gently caress what did Tompkins do???

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Fame Douglas posted:

He's certainly fit, but noting about him screams "healthy" to me. Also, how do you know his "kick".

If you know anything about the guy you would know about his kicking prowess. The dude had multiple pro kickboxing fights, and is a black belt from 2 different bjj schools. The guys a legit beast when it comes to physical fitness and fighting. Easily in the top 1% of the planet.

Is he healthy? Maybe. He’s getting regular blood work and is on trt so is in incredible shape for his age.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I only know him from his dumb podcast, and that he does look pretty awful. I kinda doubt he's in the top 1% of the planet, that's super ridiculous. And I'm not sure being on testosterone treatment is a sign of healthiness. Seems the opposite.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fame Douglas posted:

I only know him from his dumb podcast, and that he does look pretty awful. I kinda doubt he's in the top 1% of the planet, that's super ridiculous. And I'm not sure being on testosterone treatment is a sign of healthiness. Seems the opposite.

Your "super ridiculous" is everyone elses' "almost certainly". You seem to be vastly denying the health of the other 99% of 50 year olds. Please come back to reality.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

willie_dee posted:

If you know anything about the guy you would know about his kicking prowess. The dude had multiple pro kickboxing fights, and is a black belt from 2 different bjj schools. The guys a legit beast when it comes to physical fitness and fighting. Easily in the top 1% of the planet.

Is he healthy? Maybe. He’s getting regular blood work and is on trt so is in incredible shape for his age.

Ahh... what are you on about? The guy has pushed his body to the limit with all the HGH/TRT and other injected treatments over the years. Easily top 1% of the planet? Which Men’s Health issue did you get that fact from?

The guy is a faux athlete, roided to the gills and completely out of touch with any actual training for professional sports. Knowing what heat shock proteins are doesn’t make you an expert in health either.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Burr is a weird case where I think he has a lot of decent takes, and I think a lot of his comedy has this element of 'this is a dumb position what are you talking about?' to 'huh, he has a point'. Even that clip 'There's an epidemic of Gold digging whores', which I avoided for ages, eventually becomes about how Men are stupid and make no effort to understand ourselves and how we operate.

However, he also has a boomer mindset which comes through, particularly when he's talking about cancel culture poo poo and he sounds insufferable.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Mister Speaker posted:

Aw gently caress what did Tompkins do???

PFT is cool and clearly thoughtful. I brought him up as a point of contrast to Peterson, the educated idiot.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh good, I was worried for a second there because I've noticed Tompkins in a lot more stuff and I'm really starting to find him funny. I just started watching Mr. Show, surprised that went under my radar for so long. And yes I know about Jay Johnston :P

toggle posted:

The guy has pushed his body to the limit with all the HGH/TRT and other injected treatments over the years. ... roided to the gills and completely out of touch with any actual training

Where are you getting this information? I definitely don't agree with the other poster that Joe's in "the top 1%" of health for his age, but he's certainly in shape and can probably still hold his own in martial arts - I certainly wouldn't want to fight him. Also there's a vast difference between TRT and 'roided to the gills'. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention, but little about Joe screams 'to the gills', moreso just another 50-something who got a test script (and yeah maybe some HGH if his gut is any indication) and didn't waste it.

But I've already derailed one thread with roidchat this week, and I don't ever want to come across as defending the man. He's a turbochud in liberals' clothing, he's had all the critical thinking ability kicked out of his head years ago, and he suspiciously likes to platform some seriously awful people in the interest of 'balance.' Seeing Bill Burr take him down over mask wearing, or Duncan Trussell gently mock his comments about Ben Shapiro, is the only fun I've ever had watching his videos.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

toggle posted:

Ahh... what are you on about? The guy has pushed his body to the limit with all the HGH/TRT and other injected treatments over the years. Easily top 1% of the planet? Which Men’s Health issue did you get that fact from?

The guy is a faux athlete, roided to the gills and completely out of touch with any actual training for professional sports. Knowing what heat shock proteins are doesn’t make you an expert in health either.

He has 2 black belts from 2 of the best different bjj schools and has fought professionally and you think he’s a faux athlete? I know people who have rolled with him and he’s legit.

You are dumb as rocks.

There are 400,000 black belts on the planet, if you are being super generous.

That makes him in the top 0.005% of the people on the planet at bjj. Not only am I confident that if you put him in the ring with anyone in the bottom 99% of people, he would win, I’d say easily 99.9% of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to say that no, a 53 year old podcaster taking steroids isn't going to be in the top 0.005% of any sport.