Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Cobalt-60 posted:

I swear (facetiously) there's devs looking at the list of items, trying to find ways to make useless stuff good (Now, for Fire Walkers...)

Question: If I have T16 unlocked, can i invite someone who doesn't have it unlocked to a game for boosting?

I'm glad they're making useless stuff good. There's plenty of instant salvage poo poo legendary items and more decent ones would be great. Actual choices for gear slots vs. a far away best in slot would be nice but not expecting miracles at this point in the game's life.

Yes another toon can join a private t16 game if they're level 70. Just not pub games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Under lvl 70 the highest torment you can join is T6, unless you do the seasonal rebirth bug that lets a fresh character join T16 but that is not worth worrying about until you need to worry about it, and requires specific set up and execution.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
So I started a few days ago and I'm paragon 700 and just hit GR 100 with Mundunugu Spirit Barrage.

Should I just keep pushing GRs, leveling my gems, and hoping to get ancient drops with good rolls? Anything else I'm missing?

What should I be doing with my blood shards? I have all my pieces of my set, including my follower.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

err posted:

So I started a few days ago and I'm paragon 700 and just hit GR 100 with Mundunugu Spirit Barrage.

Should I just keep pushing GRs, leveling my gems, and hoping to get ancient drops with good rolls? Anything else I'm missing?

What should I be doing with my blood shards? I have all my pieces of my set, including my follower.

Yes, yes, yes.

Spend them. You can either spam belts to quickly burn all of it and quickly convert shards into resources. You can spam rings/amulets to quickly empty your total so you can get back to GRifting faster. You can spam whatever gear you have that isn't primal or is just the worst version of itself in hopes of getting an upgrade. Any of those strats is valid, just pick one.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

err posted:

You're solidly in the realm of "play another class or quit for the season" area that I usually end up at. You can keep pushing paragon and for incremental upgrades but this is where diminishing returns hit for my dopamine levels.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
"I finished a functional set" is the point where the actual fun starts for me because I like optimization problems.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Yeah I don't mind the grind. It's a good podcast game and I want to finish the season achievements and maybe get on the leaderboard.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
The good news for you is the WD leaderboards in general are going to be soft this season because it's the least useful class in groups so a lot of the tryhard crew isn't gonna touch it. The non-Mundunugu/Helltooth leaderboards in particular should be easy targets.

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

I snapped after probably a year of not playing and decided to make a seasonal barb. Nice easy challenge rift this week, good stuff. Gambled shards at Kadala- 2 gold, nothing but blues otherwise. Thanks Kadala, you nobhead.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Marshal Plugnut posted:

I snapped after probably a year of not playing and decided to make a seasonal barb. Nice easy challenge rift this week, good stuff. Gambled shards at Kadala- 2 gold, nothing but blues otherwise. Thanks Kadala, you nobhead.

That's not a nob, that's her hair!

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

What item were you gambling? Low level barb probably wants bracers (for HotA) or maybe ring. There are probably slots that cannot give a legendary at low levels.

There's a good season start guide at https://maxroll.gg/resources/season-start-1-70-leveling-guide.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
It's past the first day of the season, playing 1-70 is entirely optional now.

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

heffray posted:

What item were you gambling? Low level barb probably wants bracers (for HotA) or maybe ring. There are probably slots that cannot give a legendary at low levels.

There's a good season start guide at https://maxroll.gg/resources/season-start-1-70-leveling-guide.

I was aiming for pox faulds to stick in the cube. Pretty sure I've got those before at level 1, unless I'm getting old and my memory is shot.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
So apparently Firebirds got nerfed somehow? Resident Firebird experts, do you feel any changes at all?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mirror Images used to get revived by the 2p Meteor effect, they've since been hotfixed now that they don't. Not really a big deal, FB will probably eat a bigger nerf following this season since it's a little too good in too many categories. You're unlikely to even notice this change until 130+ GR.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it’s a very safe claim that this is the best season so far. You can pretty much do whatever you you want, everything works, Followers are fun and super useful, Diablo 3 has achieved its final form.

I dunno, the one where everyone got the ring of royal grandeur buff by default was fun, so was the one that gave you a buff for ancient gear.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

so given how diablo3 ended up, how optimistic are people for diablo4 ? is the live service MMO poo poo gonna be the auction house of diablo4 ?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's more that Blizzard has transformed into a garbage company over the last 5+ years that bodes poorly for D4.

D3 in its current state is great!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Qmass posted:

so given how diablo3 ended up, how optimistic are people for diablo4 ? is the live service MMO poo poo gonna be the auction house of diablo4 ?

Blizzard isn't really Blizzard anymore

There's still a lot of talent there, but I'm deeply, deeply skeptical about the long term health of D4

Happy to be proved wrong!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Diablo 4 looks completely lacking in ideas.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

exquisite tea posted:

Diablo 4 looks completely lacking in ideas.

The rune system looked kind of neat if I remember correctly - wasn't it like building sets of actions that would occur when various triggers would occur?

We haven't seen their latest iteration though.

Edit: https://diablo4.wiki.fextralife.com/Runes

Idk. Seems dope to me!

External Organs fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 30, 2021

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
They are trying to appease the grognards who left on D3 and still hold D2 up as the greatest game of all time whilst also having monetization decisions being either controlled or heavily influenced by Activision.

It is not impossible that D4 comes out a good game, but the deck is stacked against them and so far they are not signaling that they're avoiding the pitfalls.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
So are there going to be dupes/hacks/bots everywhere for D2R? I'm really having trouble seeing how people are going to enjoy that game without it.

D2 is such a poo poo game without cheating.

External Organs posted:

The rune system looked kind of neat if I remember correctly - wasn't it like building sets of actions that would occur when various triggers would occur?

We haven't seen their latest iteration though.

Edit: https://diablo4.wiki.fextralife.com/Runes

Idk. Seems dope to me!

This seems neat but, seems like it would take a lot of work to balance. I assume what effects can trigger off what conditions will need to be really limited?

By balance I don't mean prevent stuff from being "overpowered" or fun. I mean prevent just a couple super obvious combos that are strictly better than everything else.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 30, 2021

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

bamhand posted:

So are there going to be dupes/hacks/bots everywhere for D2R? I'm really having trouble seeing how people are going to enjoy that game without it.

I think the console version might be superior simply because you won't have to drag items to the stash manually.

I mean, I presume.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

bamhand posted:

I forget this sometimes. The endgame is fun, but effectively unreachable without botting.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I forget this sometimes. The endgame is fun, but effectively unreachable without botting.

you mean baal runs? we differ on definitions of "fun"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I always had the most fun in Act 5 on nightmare difficulty with a phoenix strike assassin. That was a good time.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

DARPA posted:

you mean baal runs? we differ on definitions of "fun"

Uber Tristram. Most of the builds that can handle it require runes that drop less often than you will win the lottery.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 30, 2021

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

They should add bounties to D2R. Good God.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
If you want to play D2, there are other projects based off of it, that are both updated, re-balanced, and have people playing. No point in D2R if it's just the same boring-rear end cookie-cutter builds and Baal runs. Of course, I'm one of the weirdos who think D3 was comparatively better than D2 at every stage (including release).

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I still fondly remember the diablo 3 beta and running skeleton king over and over trying to max out characters and being really optimistic about the game while ignoring the whispers in the back of my head on how they could possibly balance a game from people playing the first part of it. Looking forward to the diablo 4 beta peak :D

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Diablo 3 has always had at least one thing going for it, and it's that the actual feel of exploding a monster has been virtually unmatched in video games for the last 9 years.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

Diablo 3 has always had at least one thing going for it, and it's that the actual feel of exploding a monster has been virtually unmatched in video games for the last 9 years.

I played the poo poo out of D2 as a kid, and I have played the poo poo out of D3 as an adult. I was able to play in the D2R tech alpha a few weeks ago. Going back to Diablo 2, the game is just a flat, dull, slow, boring experience. Diablo 3 is fast paced, pretty, rewarding, better.

Hopefully the D4 team can recognize that.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I had the opposite feeling. Going back to Diablo 2 felt, like, right? The atmosphere and the game play just felt so much better to me than Diablo 3. I suppose I enjoy the slower pace/less manic feel.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mesadoram posted:

I had the opposite feeling. Going back to Diablo 2 felt, like, right? The atmosphere and the game play just felt so much better to me than Diablo 3. I suppose I enjoy the slower pace/less manic feel.

This is the reason I play through Diablo 1 every now and then. It feels like every click is meaningful, and the atmosphere is way more appropriate.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

My biggest concern is they'll push esports poo poo on the game and make the solo play suffer for it via balancing (or lack thereof).

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
They have so far given no indication about esports, but they have given tons of indications of, "Hey guys! Look over here! Look how much like D2 this game will be!" Again, whether you consider that a good thing or not is up to you.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I recently remembered that I bought D3 for switch and never really played it. I really like how they did the port, the controls are great and it removed a lot of the micromanagement annoyances that a casual like me didn't want to bother with. I like how I can pick up my switch and do a quick rift or two on a break and I really like the challenge rifts to try builds that I would have never tried otherwise.

Are they going to do something like the D3 seasons on D2R or D4?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
They already have seasons on D2, but it doesn't get the same frequency or dev cycles as D3. D4 is likely to have seasons like D3 does, bug probably even more involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Cobalt-60 posted:

If you want to play D2, there are other projects based off of it, that are both updated, re-balanced, and have people playing. No point in D2R if it's just the same boring-rear end cookie-cutter builds and Baal runs. Of course, I'm one of the weirdos who think D3 was comparatively better than D2 at every stage (including release).
I feel like a lot of those people went to PoE anyway, and one of PoE's problems is that, if anything, it has too many types of content: I can't imagine that crowd coming back to D2 and enjoying doing Baal/cows/Pindleskin forever.