Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

This word gets thrown around a lot but I think it really applies to Hazbin Hotel: it was way too tryhard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sankara posted:

This word gets thrown around a lot but I think it really applies to Hazbin Hotel: it was way too tryhard.

A bit. When I think try hard I think foamy the squirrel. But I can see it.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pentyne posted:

I been getting some YT anime reviewers linked on the recommendations since I clicked through some videos in this thread, and I don't think anything can compare to Redo of Healer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAe1toh1lZI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HJ9NNtkFNw

Like, it's not only absolutely bad, it's hardcore fetish misogyny poo poo presented as valid by virtue of existing as a seasonal anime broadcast on TV/CR.

I'll always wonder if the claim of redo being more popular with women than men is true or not.

Not that it changes anything, but I'm curious.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Acerbatus posted:

I'll always wonder if the claim of redo being more popular with women than men is true or not.

the claim came from them author himself as a "isn't that weird" kinda tweet, with the caveat that said data was coming from streaming sites, and not any broadcast views. Allegedly Elfen Lied creator as said he his series had similar male female rates in JP.

obviously doesn't make either series any less hosed up, mind

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

Wouldn't surprise me. Women can have just as hosed up tastes as men do. In the fujo (girl otaku) circles, most of the popular gay romance manga/anime either start, or at some point just have, a rapey sequence. Or age-based power imbalance.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Healer trash fire is just another one of those extremely boring things that drones on with more edgy puke as it goes, that the ever-present worst degree of nerdlingers/future sexual assault mugshots who need their asses kicked off for a lot of the excuses they make for it, to a large degree only talk up because they think it makes the ebil scary people that exist almost exclusively in their brain upset or some more peabrain poo poo like that as usual.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 30, 2021

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Sankara posted:

One of my fave lil tussles they had was when they had a segment where they introduce Jeffrey Dahmer as this big toothy twink boy for a side gag that so barely, BARELY registered as a joke that people tried to go "Is Viziepop a Dahmer fangirl???".

This year or so Whang has started doing overviews of horror flicks he enjoyed or watched that are a bit more serious in tone than his net detective or net explainer videos and today he did one over The Beyond.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ShaU4Dy93c

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wow, team avolition, I thought they blew up years ago.

I remember watching their minecraft griefing videos a while back. They got pretty creative with their griefing, creating things like a hack that, iirc, made any torches that at any time got within 60 tiles' distance of the player detach from walls/floors, turning brightly lit bases into pitch black monster breeding grounds. and then the one where they made some script that would spawn an absolute hellworld in the sky, filling the top layer of the sky with a garbage mess of random blocks including liquids, raining lava and water down onto everything below. pretty entertaining, even if griefers suck.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://youtu.be/ohFyOjfcLWQ

I watched this because I was struggling to stay awake and I needed to fix my sleep schedule. I do not understand anything more of Homestuck. What I do understand is that going on indefinite hiatus is a good way to kill all interest in your work

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

https://youtu.be/ohFyOjfcLWQ

I watched this because I was struggling to stay awake and I needed to fix my sleep schedule. I do not understand anything more of Homestuck. What I do understand is that going on indefinite hiatus is a good way to kill all interest in your work

Also dont let inmates run your asylum

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

TheFlyingLlama posted:

the claim came from them author himself as a "isn't that weird" kinda tweet, with the caveat that said data was coming from streaming sites, and not any broadcast views. Allegedly Elfen Lied creator as said he his series had similar male female rates in JP.

obviously doesn't make either series any less hosed up, mind

With Lied I can believe it, the only open fans/parody/meme stuff about that anime I came across after the year it aired was done by weeb girls. Anecdotal with the usual caveats of course.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Captain Invictus posted:

wow, team avolition, I thought they blew up years ago.

I remember watching their minecraft griefing videos a while back. They got pretty creative with their griefing, creating things like a hack that, iirc, made any torches that at any time got within 60 tiles' distance of the player detach from walls/floors, turning brightly lit bases into pitch black monster breeding grounds. and then the one where they made some script that would spawn an absolute hellworld in the sky, filling the top layer of the sky with a garbage mess of random blocks including liquids, raining lava and water down onto everything below. pretty entertaining, even if griefers suck.
I remember one server with run by a weirdo christian guy where they turned his church to sand lol.

Kinda meanspirited in hindsight though, even if the guy was a bit of a knob.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

A bit. When I think try hard I think foamy the squirrel. But I can see it.

yea it's not foamy levels of tryhard (but then again what really is) but there's for sure a vibe of 'oh you're making an internet cartoon first and foremost and an actual story and comedy and all second, huh?' with it that Helluva Boss doesn't have.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Out of curiosity I decided to see if Foamy the Squirrel is still being made, and yes! Good lord! 20 years! ~5k views a video! Seems to upload multiple videos a week! Madness.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Intensely funny that loser ended up trying to jump on the alt-right grift.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

sexpig by night posted:

yea it's not foamy levels of tryhard (but then again what really is) but there's for sure a vibe of 'oh you're making an internet cartoon first and foremost and an actual story and comedy and all second, huh?' with it that Helluva Boss doesn't have.

I'll be very interested in seeing if Hazbin Hotel updates and polishes its characters when it gets made into a full series like Helluva Boss. Like Angel Dust is a character that COULD be good, but he's right now just a one note joke. I felt like Husker had more character than Angel did and he's only on screen for like a minute.

I like that everyone in Helluva Boss seems to have some depth to them. Blitzo has a ton of history in the world that they only kind of touch on right now, such as his love for horses, he's the adoptive father for Loona, he used to work at Looloo Land, he used to date a famous pop star succubus despite being... Blitzo, etc. Stolas is extremely gay and horny, but also he's like, a king or prince? And he's in this marriage that appears to have been an arranged one and there's not really any love between him and his wife, but also he really loves his daughter and that whole thing is very sweet. Millie and Moxxie are a very cute married couple and there doesn't seem to be any hint of pessimism with how they're written, they're completely genuine and it's very cool.

Alastor feels like the only part of Hazbin Hotel that doesn't feel like a one note thing, and I kind of feel like that character is someone the creator has had for a very long time and finally gets a chance to use them. His backstory has a mystery about it from how he died, to how he was able to overthrow a lot of the really powerful demons basically overnight. Again though I feel like once the actual show gets made it'll probably solve a lot of these problems becasue Helluva Boss' pilot had a lot of these similar problems as well. I mean I think Loona only has like one line while in the regular show she's an integral part of the cast.

I think the thing that really sets Helluva Boss apart from Hazbin right now though is the dynamic between Blitzo, Moxxie and Millie is just REALLY solid. They are a very good little trio with Stolas and Loona as really solid supporting character and it really sets it apart from Hazbin where it's really just a random assortment of people who have barely any connection to each other.

edit: Also I really like the gag where Stolas is probably the most profane character on the show, but he's the only one that gets bleeped

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Sankara posted:

Out of curiosity I decided to see if Foamy the Squirrel is still being made, and yes! Good lord! 20 years! ~5k views a video! Seems to upload multiple videos a week! Madness.
Do they still do the "black" squirrel?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sexpig by night posted:

Agreed. Though I will also put that up to hazbin being a giant pilot episode.

Macaluso posted:

I'll be very interested in seeing if Hazbin Hotel updates and polishes its characters when it gets made into a full series like Helluva Boss. Like Angel Dust is a character that COULD be good, but he's right now just a one note joke. I felt like Husker had more character than Angel did and he's only on screen for like a minute.

I like that everyone in Helluva Boss seems to have some depth to them. Blitzo has a ton of history in the world that they only kind of touch on right now, such as his love for horses, he's the adoptive father for Loona, he used to work at Looloo Land, he used to date a famous pop star succubus despite being... Blitzo, etc. Stolas is extremely gay and horny, but also he's like, a king or prince? And he's in this marriage that appears to have been an arranged one and there's not really any love between him and his wife, but also he really loves his daughter and that whole thing is very sweet. Millie and Moxxie are a very cute married couple and there doesn't seem to be any hint of pessimism with how they're written, they're completely genuine and it's very cool.

Alastor feels like the only part of Hazbin Hotel that doesn't feel like a one note thing, and I kind of feel like that character is someone the creator has had for a very long time and finally gets a chance to use them. His backstory has a mystery about it from how he died, to how he was able to overthrow a lot of the really powerful demons basically overnight. Again though I feel like once the actual show gets made it'll probably solve a lot of these problems becasue Helluva Boss' pilot had a lot of these similar problems as well. I mean I think Loona only has like one line while in the regular show she's an integral part of the cast.

I think the thing that really sets Helluva Boss apart from Hazbin right now though is the dynamic between Blitzo, Moxxie and Millie is just REALLY solid. They are a very good little trio with Stolas and Loona as really solid supporting character and it really sets it apart from Hazbin where it's really just a random assortment of people who have barely any connection to each other.

edit: Also I really like the gag where Stolas is probably the most profane character on the show, but he's the only one that gets bleeped

All of this basically. I also like how the humor is mean but not MEAN. Which is surprisingly hard to do.

SteelMentor posted:

Intensely funny that loser ended up trying to jump on the alt-right grift.

I am not shocked. The humor was always channer mixed with Bill burr and opie and Anthony and it’s a very easy hop and skip from that to alt right right.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 30, 2021

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
A video on why the 2021 Oscars were worse than usual.
Cineflect - "Why the 2021 Oscars Failed"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj47h2M0ucU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kunster posted:

One of my fave lil tussles they had was when they had a segment where they introduce Jeffrey Dahmer as this big toothy twink boy for a side gag that so barely, BARELY registered as a joke that people tried to go "Is Viziepop a Dahmer fangirl???".

Jhonen Vasquez would blow these kids minds.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
to be fair on tumblr there is fair reason to be gunshy about people being in the 'serial killer fandom'

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Sarcopenia posted:

A video on why the 2021 Oscars were worse than usual.
Cineflect - "Why the 2021 Oscars Failed"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj47h2M0ucU

good video.

hadn't seen Hopkin's video until now, and wow, tears shot to my eyes immediately. seems like the oscars being "bad" is very overstated. seems like, other then the weirdness around Chadwick Boseman (they nft'd him, seriously??????) this was the most representative and balanced year yet.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i gotta watch the video first but that was easily the worst oscars in recent memory, having removed the entertainment aspect from the awards entirely and turned it overnight into an industry award type ceremony instead. which is fine but then why bother to televise it if it's not intended to be the lavish entertainment spectacle acting as an advertisement to movies?? you would be hard pressed to know these people are entertainers. the near total removal of clips from the movies to contextualize the nominations, the lack of any humor outside of accidental insane incidences (thanking your mom for having sex) and self-congratulatory attitude regarding their amazing ability to be SO inclusive was too brutal for me to bear this year and i had to turn it off after an hour. its very hard to watch rich people celebrate themselves without any attempt to mask it. at least, before, the thin veneer that it was about movies was present. very off-putting.

in short: 3 hours of people patting themselves on the back for their commitment and love of diversity. then capped off by the putrid monetization/subsequent snubbing of chadwick boseman, after restructuring the show around the assumptions academy voters would do, at the bare minimum, the socially correct thing to honor the man who literally just died.

also union station was MAD UGLY. you couldn't RENT SOMEWHERE????? c'mon!!

fun hater
May 24, 2009

good video, looks at it from the perspective of failures in the way the show was structured.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Sarcopenia posted:

Do they still do the "black" squirrel?

I did not click on any videos.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Alastor feels like the only part of Hazbin Hotel that doesn't feel like a one note thing, and I kind of feel like that character is someone the creator has had for a very long time and finally gets a chance to use them. His backstory has a mystery about it from how he died, to how he was able to overthrow a lot of the really powerful demons basically overnight.

i find HB mildly amusing at best but HH is a total face-ache aesthetically and alastor is the worst of the lot. plus the day-glo motherfucker wouldn't shut up

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I love the Hazbin art style. It reminds me of the mid 90s when Cartoon Network was just brainstorming cartoons all over the place and we got stuff like the Powerpuff Girls. Dexters Laboratory and other freaky cartoons.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Katt posted:

I love the Hazbin art style. It reminds me of the mid 90s when Cartoon Network was just brainstorming cartoons all over the place and we got stuff like the Powerpuff Girls. Dexters Laboratory and other freaky cartoons.

It has a very fun style. It has a very sharp style that feels very inspired by Zim and the shows you mentioned. I can totally see why folks wouldn't like it, but I'm a big fan of the eyes on all the characters. The style is very fun to draw too so maybe that colors how I view the show.

Oxxidation posted:

i find HB mildly amusing at best but HH is a total face-ache aesthetically and alastor is the worst of the lot. plus the day-glo motherfucker wouldn't shut up

I totally get if someone doesn't like Alastor. For me he has so many things about his design that I just love, and I enjoy his voice having the old timey radio filter over it. On top of that he seems the most fleshed out amongst the HH crew.

But I can see how neither of these shows can appeal to someone, both from the characters and the art style. The art style especially is just really targeting me specifically

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

fun hater posted:

i gotta watch the video first but that was easily the worst oscars in recent memory, having removed the entertainment aspect from the awards entirely and turned it overnight into an industry award type ceremony instead. which is fine but then why bother to televise it if it's not intended to be the lavish entertainment spectacle acting as an advertisement to movies?? you would be hard pressed to know these people are entertainers. the near total removal of clips from the movies to contextualize the nominations, the lack of any humor outside of accidental insane incidences (thanking your mom for having sex) and self-congratulatory attitude regarding their amazing ability to be SO inclusive was too brutal for me to bear this year and i had to turn it off after an hour. its very hard to watch rich people celebrate themselves without any attempt to mask it. at least, before, the thin veneer that it was about movies was present. very off-putting.

in short: 3 hours of people patting themselves on the back for their commitment and love of diversity. then capped off by the putrid monetization/subsequent snubbing of chadwick boseman, after restructuring the show around the assumptions academy voters would do, at the bare minimum, the socially correct thing to honor the man who literally just died.

also union station was MAD UGLY. you couldn't RENT SOMEWHERE????? c'mon!!
Yeah, the Oscars are always a self congratulatory industry party, but this year felt extra awful on that front. The emphasis covid as if top Hollywood people go through the same challenges as the peasants and constantly patting themselves for inclusivity just made me very aware of the opposite. Especially when you know that they inconvenienced a lot of regular folks by closing down a public transportation area to have their fun party. It seemed so far removed from the actual movies that they were giving awards to. Like the Oscars are fluff. People watch it knowing and expecting it to be fluff. The inclusivity should just be there, not be something that they can wear a badge of honor for, when they are the root of the problem in the first place. I will also never forgive them for making such a cool opening that minimally heightened my low expectations. I will say that the awards given seemed very deserved and I'm happy not to see an awful Bohemian Rhapsody (editing) or Green Book (Best film and original manuscript) situation. But the pacing was aaawful. And for what? Putting all of your bets on a young promising actor taken too soon winning over an industry veteran doing one of the best performances of his life? Like were they betting on the voters being as performative and superficial as them? Most likely they didn't give a gently caress and no matter what they were exploiting Boseman's death to get viewers to watch the show through. Sullying Boseman's final performance with that embarrassing ending, and keeping Hopkins from properly receiving an award because a 80+ year old man does not want to travel during a pandemic. And yeah. That loving NFT gift bag. Foolish.

Sankara posted:

I did not click on any videos.
Self care is very important.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Sarcopenia posted:

I will say that the awards given seemed very deserved and I'm happy not to see an awful Bohemian Rhapsody (editing) or Green Book (Best film and original manuscript) situation.

sorkin netting 0 awards was a highlight of the evening and a glimmer of proof that god hasn't fully abandoned us

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Katt posted:

I love the style for this exact reason, but I hate the character designs. It's very teenagery. Similarly I liked a lot of aspects of Hazbin, but the execution felt juvenile and try hard to me. I don't mind swear words at all and I don't think that there's like too many of them, but the way that they are implemented gives the show a very edgy feeling that made me feel a bit embarrassed for it. As if I was watching something that I used to love as a tween, but then revisited as an adult.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

fun hater posted:

sorkin netting 0 awards was a highlight of the evening and a glimmer of proof that god hasn't fully abandoned us

While I wanted Minari to take Best Picture, I knew I wasn't gonna have a problem with whatever they picked as long as it wasn't The Trial of the Chicago 7 :hmmyes:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Supposedly the devil in Hazbin is this anime prince style character.

Which made me pretty disappointed. I thought he was going to be something hilarious like a 30 meter tall Baphomet style character on a massive burning hellthrone. Then have the main characters mom be a regular proportioned woman and just leave it unexplained how the two of them ever had a kid together.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

fun hater posted:

Sorkin not winning anything for Sorkining up an otherwise intriguing story was great. Also, Chloe Zhao winning both Director and Film while seeming like the least invested person there. I'm also a Dane, so Druk winning best International made me weirdly patriotic and I loved Vinterberg's speech. Not just because I shed a tear when he payed tribute to his late daughter, but also because he was just straight up google translating everything from Danish to English.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Thoughtslime goes to another dimension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjDgqbLEpNA

He really does sound tired.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DeafNote posted:

Thoughtslime goes to another dimension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjDgqbLEpNA

He really does sound tired.
Time for him to commission a 3D modeler and become a vtuber

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

https://deathtripz.tumblr.com/post/189536674554

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

The 7th Guest posted:

Time for him to commission a 3D modeler and become a vtuber