Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

AnoHito posted:

And even if Imperator is in a pretty good state now, it's already bled off basically all interest, which doesn't bode well for DLC sales. Hell, last I checked the numbers, Vicky 2 had more players.

Speaking off, while clad in pr speak, it appears to be getting dumped

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/update-of-the-organization-at-pds.1471119/

Eu4 isn’t mentioned either but I assume its safe since it has its own studio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Davincie posted:

Speaking off, while clad in pr speak, it appears to be getting dumped

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/update-of-the-organization-at-pds.1471119/

Eu4 isn’t mentioned either but I assume its safe since it has its own studio

Does that mean they're changing leads on ck3 and hoi4, or am I misreading?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lol good riddance.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Hoi4 gets the Gold team, that means Paradox has rightfully recognized that it's much more important than Green or Red, right?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Big pdxcon announcement will be that this is all happening because V3 is close to release. It takes up 73 gigs and and CK3 tech allows unique portraits for each labourer, soldier, and capiatlist in your nation

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
But the proletariat are all identical.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

When is Vicky 3 never coming out?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Dramicus posted:

Hoi4 gets the Gold team, that means Paradox has rightfully recognized that it's much more important than Green or Red, right?

PDS Gold was originally "Yellow" IIRC

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
boy the Vicky games sure do a have a hardcore fan base and a decent demand for a sequel. oh well better leave this money on the table

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I wound up listening to the EU3 soundtrack again (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umFnrwGy2dw&t=352s) and oh man does this ever slap. Andreas Waldetoft is such a boss.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

boy the Vicky games sure do a have a hardcore fan base and a decent demand for a sequel. oh well better leave this money on the table

Look, it will never work. After all, large swaths of otherwise interested players refuse to touch the series. They said something about it being outdated and lacking recent QoL features.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they took a stab at EU : Rome Imperator, or whatever it'll be called next time before they even think about Vicky 3, at this point.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

really queer Christmas posted:

Does that mean they're changing leads on ck3 and hoi4, or am I misreading?
You are misreading. The people mentioned are heads of those *sudios*, not of the games. Podcat clarifies farther down that thread that was linked about it.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Let's start a thread in QCS to get Jeffrey to purchase a majority stake in Paradox with his bitcoin wealth.

The board of directors will be:
Chairman: A Buttery Pastry
Vice chairman:Groogy
Member: AAAAA! Real Muenster
Member: Koramei
Member: Baronjutter

EU4 will never receive a broken patch ever again.
Yessss I can finally quit herding cats to do.... ohshit wait what?!?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

LordMune posted:

PDS Gold was originally "Yellow" IIRC

I hope that "Green", "Yellow", and "Red" aren't a reference to a traffic light and the amount of priority the games have.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You are misreading. The people mentioned are heads of those *sudios*, not of the games. Podcat clarifies farther down that thread that was linked about it.

Yessss I can finally quit herding cats to do.... ohshit wait what?!?

Ah ok. I figured it was a case of "these people are running the business side not developing the games" but wasn't sure.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Victoria 2 had 2.200 peak number of players on Steam. CK3 had almost 100.000 peak and almost 13.000 are playing it right now. EU4 had a peak of 48.000 and 20.000 poor souls are playing it right now. From 500.000 to 1.000.000 people own Victoria 2, most probably long after release on a discount.

People say they want it, sure. A lot of people would even buy it. But from what I see it, Victoria 2 is great because a lot of parts of it are atrocious, and not many people are going to put up with this stuff. Victoria 2 trade and populace systems work because they're based on mysterious forces beyond your comprehension. Is there logic behind them? Here, see the needs and promotion paths of those Bavarian Artisans in Ulm, it all seems trustworthy. Look at the graph of cement prices. It all seems right so it probably works. There are also things like The Grand Influence Table. All of this is impossible in a modern Paradox game.

It's like those guys who made Dwarf Fortress made accessible fun citybuilders but oldschool fans want them to make Dwarf Fortress 2. Which part of their fandom should they try to satisfy? And why would they try?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they took a stab at EU : Rome Imperator, or whatever it'll be called next time before they even think about Vicky 3, at this point.

Based on studying all the available evidence :tinfoil:, I think there's actually a pretty drat good chance that the game that's going to be revealed in 3 weeks is Vicky 3. We know it's a GSG, we know that none of the other existing main franchises is going to get a game this year, so the only options are basically one set in a historical period that is not yet covered (lol when), or the fantasy one we know they are making, and that one was still hiring recently for concept art roles, which probably means it's not coming out very soon.

If they do come out swinging with a bronze age GSG, I'll honestly be kinda happy even without VicIII, because that's a criminally undercovered period.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tuna-Fish posted:

If they do come out swinging with a bronze age GSG, I'll honestly be kinda happy even without VicIII, because that's a criminally undercovered period.
I'll go ahead and say it: I'd take a Bronze Age GSG over Victoria III.

really queer Christmas posted:

Ah ok. I figured it was a case of "these people are running the business side not developing the games" but wasn't sure.
Yeah exactly they run the business side or something like that rather than work on the games.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ilitarist posted:

Victoria 2 had 2.200 peak number of players on Steam. CK3 had almost 100.000 peak and almost 13.000 are playing it right now. EU4 had a peak of 48.000 and 20.000 poor souls are playing it right now. From 500.000 to 1.000.000 people own Victoria 2, most probably long after release on a discount.

People say they want it, sure. A lot of people would even buy it. But from what I see it, Victoria 2 is great because a lot of parts of it are atrocious, and not many people are going to put up with this stuff. Victoria 2 trade and populace systems work because they're based on mysterious forces beyond your comprehension. Is there logic behind them? Here, see the needs and promotion paths of those Bavarian Artisans in Ulm, it all seems trustworthy. Look at the graph of cement prices. It all seems right so it probably works. There are also things like The Grand Influence Table. All of this is impossible in a modern Paradox game.

It's like those guys who made Dwarf Fortress made accessible fun citybuilders but oldschool fans want them to make Dwarf Fortress 2. Which part of their fandom should they try to satisfy? And why would they try?

People want victoria 3 because it will get the accessibility and qol stuff the newer games have. I don't think anyone is demanding influence carry forward in the same way to a third game. Do you think people are actually just demanding a remake?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

yikes! posted:

People want victoria 3 because it will get the accessibility and qol stuff the newer games have. I don't think anyone is demanding influence carry forward in the same way to a third game. Do you think people are actually just demanding a remake?
Exactly. I'd actually play V3 if it had a modern UI and QoL stuff that CKIII has.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The original Crusader Kings didn't exactly set the world on fire either, people would play Vicky 3 if they added some of the qol features from newer games

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

My main problem with both Vicky games is that most of the important mechanisms are obscure and hard to interact with. POPs, the economy, and politics are all super detailed but nothing really interesting emerges from them. Of course, a new direction for the series would be great.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tuna-Fish posted:

I loved Tyranny for being a fantasy game set in a bronze age setting, and I would love a GSG in a bronze age setting as well.

Meanwhile, I have no interest in the Victoria time period.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

My main problem with both Vicky games is that most of the important mechanisms are obscure and hard to interact with. POPs, the economy, and politics are all super detailed but nothing really interesting emerges from them. Of course, a new direction for the series would be great.

The biggest problem with Vicky is that if you play optimally then your country will remain stable and uninteresting because everyone remains happy with the status quo. But if you play it realistically by, say, going full hyper-capitalist-gently caress-the-poor or ultra-religious racist slave-owners then you can have the actual revolutions and mass unrest that makes the period interesting.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 30, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Torrannor posted:

I loved Tyranny for being a fantasy game set in a bronze age setting, and I would love a GSG in a bronze age setting as well.

Meanwhile, I have no interest in the Victoria time period.

A fantasy GSG set in Tyranny’s world has been a personal dream game of mine since Tyranny launched. It’s such a cool setting.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gaius Marius posted:

The original Crusader Kings didn't exactly set the world on fire either, people would play Vicky 3 if they added some of the qol features from newer games

Original CK was done awfully by a russian studio and Paradox had to yoink it and finish it themselves iirc. I think all of the games have some jank that have carried over that I'd be sad to see go though. Hell I'd probably pay five bucks for EU4 but it's pasted onto the hideous EU board game map. Paradox consider this you could make dozens of krona.

If we get a new era for god's sake make it migration age. RTW BI but GSG and it lasts long enough for the arab conquests. Let me settle the slavs in Britain.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Anno posted:

A fantasy GSG set in Tyranny’s world has been a personal dream game of mine since Tyranny launched. It’s such a cool setting.

It is strange that they don't have a fantasy GSG. Creative Assembly have reaped nothing but success with branching out from purely historical games. In fact, the success of their fantasy IP title smashed all expectations, though some of that is certainly down to the fantasy IP being Warhammer.

If they went the fantasy route, they certainly would be able to avert Stellaris' problem of galaxies feeling generic. I would love a Tyranny GSG, too. Or perhaps Pillars of Eternity (different publisher, most likely will never happen), or Wheel of Time. Several settings come to mind, I really hope we get something like this in the coming years. Warhammer's success can't be lost on the devs, and neither should they overlook how popular the Elder Scrolls or Warhammer mods were for CK2, for example.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Torrannor posted:

Warhammer's success can't be lost on the devs, and neither should they overlook how popular the Elder Scrolls or Warhammer mods were for CK2, for example.
My bet would be on Forgotten Realms Kings (not that I want it)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CKIII but with Conan the Barbarian.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Dramicus posted:

I hope that "Green", "Yellow", and "Red" aren't a reference to a traffic light and the amount of priority the games have.

I'm 100 percent certain it's referencing the fighter wings from Star Wars. and yellow is gold, so gold leader, standing by

Grevlek fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 30, 2021

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Weird to see them giving up on imperator at all, considering Johan tripled down on it being his best release yet at the time.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Grevlek posted:

I'm 100 percent certain it's referencing the fighter wings from Star Wars. and yellow is gold, so gold leader, standing by

Well, if that's the case then it's fine. Gold leader was the coolest after all.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Torrannor posted:

It is strange that they don't have a fantasy GSG. Creative Assembly have reaped nothing but success with branching out from purely historical games. In fact, the success of their fantasy IP title smashed all expectations, though some of that is certainly down to the fantasy IP being Warhammer.

If they went the fantasy route, they certainly would be able to avert Stellaris' problem of galaxies feeling generic. I would love a Tyranny GSG, too. Or perhaps Pillars of Eternity (different publisher, most likely will never happen), or Wheel of Time. Several settings come to mind, I really hope we get something like this in the coming years. Warhammer's success can't be lost on the devs, and neither should they overlook how popular the Elder Scrolls or Warhammer mods were for CK2, for example.

I do feel like a fantasy game is the most likely announcement, or if not this time definitely the next one. They actually own the Tyranny IP, so there’s theoretically a chance of it happening, but I assume it’ll be another house-made world. They’ve done a good job with that side of Stellaris though, and obviously value it a lot if you listen to their podcast.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Anno posted:

I do feel like a fantasy game is the most likely announcement, or if not this time definitely the next one. They actually own the Tyranny IP, so there’s theoretically a chance of it happening, but I assume it’ll be another house-made world. They’ve done a good job with that side of Stellaris though, and obviously value it a lot if you listen to their podcast.

If they invent their own setting (which there are good financial reasons for), they must make predetermined starts like the historical games, instead of the randomly generated galaxy of Stellaris. I think they can be proud of what they did for Stellaris so far, but the fact that it's difficult to really identify with any species/empires in the games has always been a big stumbling block, one that can easily be avoided in a hypothetical future fantasy GSG.

An Age of Wonders grand strategy game would also be cool, they are the current AoW publisher iirc, so there wouldn't be a rights problem, either (I think). Although they might not want to pit one form of AoW strategy game against another form of AoW strategy game.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I’d love it if they found an in-between. I get people want set factions/starts, but also the expiration phase of Stellaris is my favorite part of any PDX game to play. Idk if there’s a good way to have both, though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ilitarist posted:

EU3 peak: 1,299 players
Victoria II peak: 2,276 players

EU4 peak: 47,844 players
Calculated Vicky III peak: 83,828 players

Not making Vicky III is simply bad business.

Anno posted:

I’d love it if they found an in-between. I get people want set factions/starts, but also the expiration phase of Stellaris is my favorite part of any PDX game to play. Idk if there’s a good way to have both, though.
I feel like the "Random New World" thing might actually really work in such a game, if it got the love it needed.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The real reason paradox should make Vicky 3 is that they'll earn bank on a factory designer dlc

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

VostokProgram posted:

The real reason paradox should make Vicky 3 is that they'll earn bank on a factory designer dlc

Don't even get me started on how much I would like a game set from 1830-1930 with a train designer.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

VostokProgram posted:

Building miniature factories staffed entirely by child pops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
As much as I’d like to play an actually playable Vicky, I don’t think PDS in 2021 are the right people to do it. Pretty much everything that made Vicky 2 interesting - the pop system and the economy, the feeling of being part of a larger whole instead of an abstracted agent among other abstracted agents that play by the exact same rules- is diametrically opposed to modern Paradox design. If they are actually making Vicky 3, which I highly doubt, it might be a good game but it won’t be Vicky