Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fknlo posted:

This doesn't actually tell me who won though.

We all won, friend. We all won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The new M2 doesn't look to have the pig nostrils, thus continuing the trend that the M2 is the best BMW

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

rscott posted:

The new M2 doesn't look to have the pig nostrils, thus continuing the trend that the M2 is the best BMW

I didn't say it folks so you know its a correct and unbiased opinion

bibz
Jan 29, 2004
I got three years out of my e36 coupe but theres just too many drat to-do's on the list. GDCS being up there. Interior falling to poo poo another.

So hopefully it can be retired into something more fun! But first I need a new daily. Why is it that I look and see nothing except old BMW's that I know will cause heartache and failure. Currently dialed on an 2004 e46 325i m-sport sedan with only 100k kms on it. It's a grand cheaper then a 2005 corolla with 180k kms. What the gently caress is this timeline.

I believe the potential pain of overpaying for boredom can justify the path of certain unreliability for the chance of a few k's of happiness! But I have the sickness. The lure of the E39 is even stronger, but that path seems yet more treacherous and unrelenting.

Holy poo poo does it suck needing a car right now. No I don't want to pay 66% of retail for a ten year old car with 200,000k's!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
narrator: it was not, in fact, a grand cheaper than the Corolla

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Right now is one of the worst times in recent history to buy a used vehicle. Supply chain issues have caused delays in manufacturing of new units, which increased demand for used cars, which has brought up prices pretty much across the board. Combine that with tax return season and people with a little stimmy money still in their pockets.

bibz, I would recommend doing the GDCS in your e36 and whatever else you need to do to keep it on the road, and try to drive it for another year, then buy something next summer. Maybe the market will have chilled out by then.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Crunchy Black posted:

e30
not prepared to cut the sheet metal

Blasphemy!
Get this man an angle grinder!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Erulisse posted:

Blasphemy!
Get this man an angle grinder!

18s look like poo poo on E30s, really 16s are about as big as you can go without it looking dumb

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Crunchy Black posted:

2" crack in the barrel from the outer inwards. No way they'd fit though, they were on my e46 touring.

18x8. Not fitting on an e30 I'm not prepared to cut the sheet metal on...

e: this idiotic thing

That is a rad wagon.

rscott posted:

18s look like poo poo on E30s, really 16s are about as big as you can go without it looking dumb

Yeah, you could always go with the E34 Style 5 with some adapters for cheap. I miss mine sometimes.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I have style 5s from an e34 on my E28 and they look great and period correct

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
16's are the biggest I would go on an E30 without other modifications as well. I think PartyAlarm put 17x10s with flares and it looked great - but he had flares.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Which one of you overpaid techbro neckbeards did I see this afternoon driving south on I-5 just south of
Thunderhill Raceway (NorCal) in a shiny new Blue M2CS?

:argh:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

They can’t update the M2 because then it would be so much more betterer than the newfangled M4.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

They can’t update the M2 because then it would be so much more betterer than the newfangled M4.

The Cayman curse

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

There's rumors floating around of a 1300HP electric M2 that's already lapped the ring in under 7 minutes. That would definitely qualify as better than the M4 which is why it probably won't get green-lit.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

BlackMK4 posted:

That is a rad wagon.

Thanks! Long gone but it was fun.

rscott posted:

Agreed, it is extra unsprung for no benefit and a lot of hassle to make them fit.

Ultimate Mango posted:

:hmmyes:

Lightbulb Out posted:

16's are the biggest I would go on an E30 without other modifications as well. I think PartyAlarm put 17x10s with flares and it looked great - but he had flares.

::frogc00l::

aaannnddddd my chassis is a metal bumper so I have chrome trim. I think this is gonna be fuckin rad. Might go pick them up this afternoon.

e: my buddy stopped by with his set while I was pondering fitment and we did this (yes I have a new fender ready for paint)

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 30, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

But the M4 is already better than the M8.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

But the M4 is already better than the M8.

i've done the math and it is at most half as good op

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i've done the math and it is at most half as good op

Not when you find one sitting on the lot for 6 months and they offer you 30% off MSRP to please just someone take it already.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

A challenger that's listed for an actually decent price approaches! Some compromises like pre LCI and xdrive, but sport package and the fact the asking is actually a remotely reasonable number is somewhat compelling! Also I like that color a lot. I think too early in my search to give in but that is certainly making me think about getting in a reasonable price, even if it needs some immediate things (windshield and whatever mechanical) that's a good bit cheaper than supposedly nicer condition ones are trading on BAT and the like.

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/denver-2007-bmw-series-wagon-unicorn/7314576247.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
looks good op buy it and a donor m3 and do the needful

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

why would you not post that on BAT and get roughly 40% more easily, what's up with that?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why would you not post that on BAT and get roughly 40% more easily, what's up with that?

I am not sure if dude just doesn't know or what, I haven't run the VIN yet, but ya I expect the BAT regular seller 1600veloce to swoop it and list it on BAT after like fixing the windshield and scratch on rear for $$$

Base on his wording it seems like he is just unaware of the bubble surrounding them, but could also be that it's been in a bad accident or some such.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheBacon posted:

A challenger that's listed for an actually decent price approaches! Some compromises like pre LCI and xdrive, but sport package and the fact the asking is actually a remotely reasonable number is somewhat compelling! Also I like that color a lot. I think too early in my search to give in but that is certainly making me think about getting in a reasonable price, even if it needs some immediate things (windshield and whatever mechanical) that's a good bit cheaper than supposedly nicer condition ones are trading on BAT and the like.

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/denver-2007-bmw-series-wagon-unicorn/7314576247.html

Uh, if you don't buy that let me know...

Please buy that so I don't do something stupid.

bibz
Jan 29, 2004
Yep although it's painful I think I'm better off keeping the rattlebox rattlin'. I'd rather save more and atleast get something fun instead of pissing my savings away on some Camry. Although I don't see the market correcting much at all, baby boomers just have too much money.

As long as theres places like BAT that keep top dollars rolling in, the 'good deal' will continue to become more rare.

Now I'm off to see if I reflowing bits on the climate control unit will let it turn on with the car instead of sometime 10 minutes later and maybe shooting hot air out either side of that? And then more permanently mount the fan switches. Might as well order a new fan clutch too.

Once I get it running long enough without over heating I can get the rear end warm enough to start making that noise on the passenger side!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

fknlo posted:

Uh, if you don't buy that let me know...

Please buy that so I don't do something stupid.

lol ran the carfax and posting was already deleted

carfax was clean though rip

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

how do you own that car, know it's "a unicorn" and gently caress up the pricing that bad

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how do you own that car, know it's "a unicorn" and gently caress up the pricing that bad

I think maybe they just looked at KBB and priced it at the top of that? But ya calling it unicorn is wild to me, also ya knowing you have a unicorn but not fixing windshield at min first to be able to get way more than you pay to fix it :shrug:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

got some marriage troubles energy in terms of not being able to have three cars etc which might explain haste and bad pricing

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I regret not screenshotting the ad where I had the number open to try and call him and see what's up, but I imagine unless I was willing to wire him the cash right away that wasn't in my cards, someone local with cash probably showing up today....fknlo did you snake me? heh

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheBacon posted:

I regret not screenshotting the ad where I had the number open to try and call him and see what's up, but I imagine unless I was willing to wire him the cash right away that wasn't in my cards, someone local with cash probably showing up today....fknlo did you snake me? heh

I did not. I’m at work still. I figured it would go fast. I would have driven down to Denver after I got off if it was still available though.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Here's a photo of a really sexy wagon at a track day today:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:captainpop:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

got off on a technicality posted:

Here's a photo of a really sexy wagon at a track day today:

Kudos to the owner if they're tracking that bad boy.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Kudos to the owner if they're tracking that bad boy.

It's an instructor too! Here's the back

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Speaking of instructors in BMW wagons...

(yes it's an M5)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

christ those wheels are ugly

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

It's an instructor too! Here's the back

this loving owns

but yikes agree those e39 wheels need to go

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There can't be that many E39 M5 wagon swaps floating around, so rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Speaking of instructors in BMW wagons...

(yes it's an M5)

Holy smokes, plenty of eye candy at PIR today!!