Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wow, the Moon Presence was Bowser Jr. all along!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

NOKI ELDER: Piantas all over the shop... you'll be one of them... sooner or later...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Weedle posted:

F.L.U.D.D.borne

:eyepop:

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

FAUXTON posted:

returnal is so good y'all

if you like it that gives me pause

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Waltzing Along posted:

LMAO.

Most of the zingers I don't think are very good but you definitely got me with this one.

Look everyone, I know you love this game. And we are all a community of some sort. I like being part of the community and I want to share in the experience. That's my real frustration. The game is secondary. Just feeling like I am part of it is what truly matters. And it's frustrating because it's not working out for me.

People are clowning on you because you hosed up and blamed it on the game, which to be fair is the first step in accepting Soulslikes into your heart.

If, ultimately, you don't enjoy Bloodborne, then you don't enjoy Bloodborne. Me, for instance, I don't enjoy the Dark Souls games, even Sekiro which I recognize as an amazing game isn't really for me, but Bloodborne might legitimately be my favorite game of all time.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I bounced off Bloodborne a few times. And yet I persisted, and it was a very rewarding experience. It's really good, but I get why it's not for everyone. No shame in that.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Not every game is what every person is looking for, yeah. And, because humans are bizarre and irrational and inconsistent what qualifies as what you're looking for can vary from hour to hour and sometimes even then it doesn't make any goddamn sense. That's cool and fine and totally normal.

Personally, I don't much care for the Souls games at all, though I find them much more tolerable with friends. I'm not even sure I can quite put my finger on why (that's a lie, let's be fair. Let's pretend for a moment I ain't fully capable of writing ten thousand words on what I don't like about them and why that doesn't mean I give a flying gently caress that you do) because there are games in the Souls mold I do rather enjoy. I don't owe the games or the fans anything either way. You feel how you feel and you like what you like and nobody can ever take that away from you. Now I think I'll go back to my low-key hunt for the hex-and-counter age of sail wargame Close Action.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
don't loving @ me but i don't like the souls games because they're boring. you run around a bunch of dark halls and mastermind enemies. too much trial and error. they're jumped up rhythm games but the beat is wildly inconsistent and they're just not for me.

RareAcumen posted:

The soundtrack's locked behind 5 missable sidequests within the first 11 minutes of the game that the game doesn't tell you about. If you don't do them, you get no music unless you're hanging around in the town square while Devola and Popola are singing.
that makes me want a game where instruments are collectable and as you collect them they're added to the soundtrack. also you can use them as weapons.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
One of my favorite games in the last 2 years was Death Stranding and I 100% understand why people would disagree and hate that game. Same with Bloodbourne. Some people just want to play racing games, or sports games, or team fps with are all genres I don't generally enjoy. Forza is highly rated and highly acclaimed and it's just not something I like. No judgment.

Only BB can judge me

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I feel like the only person on the planet who merely likes the From games. Everyone else either bounces off them or is obsessed with them. I've played Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 to the end credits, enjoyed my time with them and then never touched them again.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

InsertPotPun posted:

don't loving @ me but i don't like the souls games because they're boring. you run around a bunch of dark halls and mastermind enemies. too much trial and error. they're jumped up rhythm games but the beat is wildly inconsistent and they're just not for me.

that makes me want a game where instruments are collectable and as you collect them they're added to the soundtrack. also you can use them as weapons.

@InsertPotPun

its okay.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

J-Spot posted:

I feel like the only person on the planet who merely likes the From games. Everyone else either bounces off them or is obsessed with them. I've played Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 to the end credits, enjoyed my time with them and then never touched them again.

They’re all right.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
You also don't need a justification to like or dislike a Thing. I find Breath of the Wild tedious as all heckfire but love No Man's Sky. You can riddle me that or just accept it but the only difference it makes to me is whether I get to have fun arguing today. And I like arguing so, uh.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Vikar Jerome posted:

NG++ do it. i believe you in. we will see you in the waking world.

Cheers! I think I'll be able to get through it pretty quick the third time. This NG+ run I found much easier as I just sort of either remembered or knew how to read the enemies and environmental cues better. I'm also going to try to do as much co-op help stuff while I'm going through it as a sort of pay it forward for the helpful messages and to experience that side of the game a little bit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oscar Wild posted:

One of my favorite games in the last 2 years was Death Stranding and I 100% understand why people would disagree and hate that game. Same with Bloodbourne. Some people just want to play racing games, or sports games, or team fps with are all genres I don't generally enjoy. Forza is highly rated and highly acclaimed and it's just not something I like. No judgment.

Only BB can judge me

I agree, people who don’t like those games are simpletons. That was your point, right?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've still never played NG+ in Bloodborne. I kind of want to go back and do a cheese run where I use some of those chalice dungeons to get the high level stuff and tons of blood echoes early on. After spending so much time doing a solo-all-boss run of Dark Souls 3+DLCs, platting Sekiro, and now going through the gauntlet of punishment that is Nioh (210 deaths so far) I kind of want to feel like an overpowered god for a change.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Escobarbarian posted:

I agree, people who don’t like those games are simpletons. That was your point, right?

Exactly. Freaking idiots. They should be made to play with the shittiest mad Katz drift controllers. They need no memory card because they rarely make it past "press start"

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

InsertPotPun posted:

Okay.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The funny thing about people who don't like Souls games is that so many of are incapable of just disliking the games, acknowledging that it might just not be their thing, and leaving it at that. Instead they have to brazenly declare how they are the worst games ever and then make it as clear as possible to everyone that they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, while they dig themselves into deeper holes and get laughed at by everyone.

It's like the games trigger something in some people, where they play them for an hour and go "I hate this! I gotta make myself look stupid online now"

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

InsertPotPun posted:

don't loving @ me but i don't like the Mario games because they're boring. you run around a bunch of dark halls and mastermind enemies. too much trial and error. they're jumping rhythm games but the beat is wildly inconsistent and they're just not for me.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

The funny thing about people who don't like Souls games is that so many of are incapable of just disliking the games, acknowledging that it might just not be their thing, and leaving it at that.

That's everything though. People are generally assholes about their opinion no matter what

One could just as easily say that Souls fans are equally incapable of acknowledging that they might be a matter of taste, that they're somehow objectively good

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Simone Magus posted:

That's everything though. People are generally assholes about their opinion no matter what

One could just as easily say that Souls fans are equally incapable of acknowledging that they might be a matter of taste, that they're somehow objectively good

I don't like stealth games but I don't hate them. I avoid posting about because I'm really bad at that kind of games (like old Splinter Cell ones) because I lack the patience and subtlety but I can see why they are liked. The problem is when someone posts "I don't like (insert any FROM game) and the reasons/proof show that barely scratched the surface of said game. Of course you're going to get 'souls fans' posts pointing.

Most of these posts could be "Hey there, I tried XXX. Found them hard/frustrating so I guess they aren't for me" and everyone would be fine. Instead the posts contains "the games are bad and suck because artificial difficulty, bad design and trial-error gameplay" kinda reasons and oh boy there you go.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Simone Magus posted:

I dunno about that. I know Souls fans can be the most overbearing fanboys on earth, but most of the time if someone is getting a really negative reaction it's because they are throwing some hilarious tantrum about the games. Plenty of people just say something to the effect of " I don't like them" and no one really cares.

If anything Souls fans are bad about, it's pushing people to keep playing when they dislike the game, but there is a pretty obvious reason for that. The amount of converts that started out hating the games is undeniable.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was definitely one of the loudest assholes about From fans before I got into the games, and I think a lot of that was insecurity and frustration that I wasn’t able to do it lmao

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

I was definitely one of the loudest assholes about From fans before I got into the games, and I think a lot of that was insecurity and frustration that I wasn’t able to do it lmao

Hell, I've said it before. I bounced off Dark Souls 1 (got it at PC launch) super HARD for over a year and then I really tried to learn leaving any previous action RPG experience aside. It's been almost two thousand hours between DS1-3, Bloodborne and Demon's Souls since that :shepface:

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Anytime i boot up demon souls on piss 5 i just eventually play bloodborne instead lol the fast pace even the running is way more enjoyable to me

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Bloodborne his that perfect balance between dark souls and sekiro.

My fuckyou hammer and pistol would demolish the shenobi.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Wtf is f.l.u.d.d.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Mario's water gun and jetpack in Mario Sunshine

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Simone Magus posted:

I mean, if you are into action games I think they kind of ARE objectively good, in that genre. It's telling to me that the complaints are like "I fell of a ledge and that made me upset" or "I beat the tutorial boss and this game is too easy all you do is dodge attacks and hit things."

That said, I think Bloodborne's visual style is a matter of taste so I don't fault anyone for not liking it just as I don't fault anyone for not vibing with Binding of Isaac because of the visuals even though I like them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's Sekiro time!!!!!!! https://twitch.tv/videogamessa

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

cheeseboy58 posted:

Anytime i boot up demon souls on piss 5 i just eventually play bloodborne instead lol the fast pace even the running is way more enjoyable to me

I had this with Sekiro. Everytime I played that I just missed dark souls / bloodborne.
Sekiro combat always felt off to me and I really miss the async multiplayer stuff (the messages and ghosts).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Veeg is fighting Genichiro

I repeat

VEEG IS FIGHTING GENICHIRO

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

:kiss:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

:perfect:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tuned in to hear "that was a terrible deflect"

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

PantsBandit posted:

I mean, if you are into action games I think they kind of ARE objectively good, in that genre. It's telling to me that the complaints are like "I fell of a ledge and that made me upset" or "I beat the tutorial boss and this game is too easy all you do is dodge attacks and hit things."

That said, I think Bloodborne's visual style is a matter of taste so I don't fault anyone for not liking it just as I don't fault anyone for not vibing with Binding of Isaac because of the visuals even though I like them.

I'm not gonna disagree because I love From games. Just sayin that it seems to me that fans and haters are the same no matter what they're fans or haters of.

When I fangirl out over Kentucky Route Zero, I'm sure I sound as ridiculous as people who rave about, I dunno, Undertale or Destiny. And when jerks hate on a game, the important thing is that they're being jerks; the game in question isn't to blame

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don’t be silly everyone knows stanning Kentucky Route Zero makes you extremely cool and smart

(one of the devs is doing a stream tomorrow where he takes the act v area apart in unity, I’m lookin forward to watching it)