Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Crossposting from the Chauvin Trial thread since people probably unbookmarked it.

The other cops that were involved in George Floyd's murder are going to have their trials broadcast, similar to Chauvin's.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...n-b1840363.html

Full story quoted because paywall

quote:

Some in the Minnesota legal system were apprehensive about allowing the live broadcast of Chauvin's trial over the killing of George Floyd but the video feed had no major problems and bolstered the public's understanding of the trial, Minnesota Public Radio News reported.

A spokesperson for the Hennepin County court system said an order from Judge Peter Cahill to allow the live broadcast will still apply to the August trial of the other three former Minneapolis officers charged in Floyd's death, Thomas Lane, J. Kueng and Tou Thao.

Cahill ordered the trials to be broadcast live because of the intense global interest in the case and limited courthouse space due to the pandemic.

Minnesota court rules usually ban cameras at criminal trials unless both sides agree to them. Although Chauvin's attorney quickly welcomed the live broadcast, Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison argued against allowing the live broadcast because he said it could intimidate witnesses.

But a week after the jury found Chauvin guilty, Ellison told WCCO-TV that the live broadcast “went pretty well" and he was grateful the judge allowed juvenile witnesses to testify off camera.

Cahill also barred jurors’ faces from being televised.

Hennepin County Chief Judge Toddrick Barnette said he was also a longtime skeptic of cameras in the courtroom. He met with journalists and media attorneys ahead of the trial and worked closely with Court TV, which operated the cameras and provided its video feed to other news outlets.

“Over time, I felt more comfortable that they were really interested in the integrity of the process, and worked very hard to make sure there were no violations of Judge Cahill’s order,” Barnette said.

Barnette said one of the biggest benefits of televising the trial was that the public learned about the process, from jury selection to the final verdict. Chauvin was convicted last week of second- and third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter. He’ll be sentenced June 25.

E:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

zoux posted:

Is this a typo?

Ha yes. Good catch.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Manchin joins 5 other Democrats in not supporting D.C. statehood. Manchin wants a constitutional amendment.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

fool of sound posted:

I'm pretty sure that Terra Firma did a thread about this a yearish ago. I can try to dig it up later if people are still interested.

It was specifically done so he would stop derailing the main threads with filibuster defenses of vaping.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

Manchin joins 5 other Democrats in not supporting D.C. statehood. Manchin wants a constitutional amendment.

Oh the even more impossible thing. loving hell. Since when did we need an amendment to create a new state? (Never?)

MSB3000
Jul 30, 2008
Manchin realizes that a Dem winning streak goes against the natural order and must be offset or nullified.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Nonsense posted:

Let me geuss: Sinema, probably some of the other dipshit Blue Dogs?

It's amazing how polls have come out saying dem proposals are wildly popular, and these smooth-brained Reagan dems are still like "but what about getting republicans to vote for me?!"

What utter dipshits

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 30, 2021

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
When I was little I thought the entire state of West Virginia was the capitol of the US. The map of the continental US looked like an animal to me, with Maine as the head, Florida as the front legs, and California as the butt, so West Virginia seemed to be the heart, and that's the most important organ.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

human garbage bag posted:

When I was little I thought the entire state of West Virginia was the capitol of the US. The map of the continental US looked like an animal to me, with Maine as the head, Florida as the front legs, and California as the butt, so West Virginia seemed to be the heart, and that's the most important organ.

The Florida Panhandle is the taint :v:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

human garbage bag posted:

That explains a lot about your political history, Senator Manchin!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

I appreciate this post.

If I had any talent or time I would want to do a podcast on this game and how well thought out it was.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

If it's the tobacco part of menthol cigarettes that's bad for you, why not allow the menthol and ban putting any tobacco in it

Congratulations, techbro. You have invented busescough drops

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Any news on Gaetz? That dude is probably turbofucked right?

Mooseontheloose posted:

If I had any talent or time I would want to do a podcast on this game and how well thought out it was.

I support the sentiment in both of those posts. Alpha Centauri is one of the greatest games ever made, easily.

I could gush about that game for hours.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 30, 2021

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Gaetz and MTG are doing a speaking tour.

not sure if congress is already in recess, but they dont do anything then virtual signalling so good job leaving DC.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

also a big part of the push against smoking was second hand smoke

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1388175395929866241

josh is boned. also apparently the parents knew and tried to close ranks.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

PhazonLink posted:

not sure if congress is already in recess, but they dont do anything then virtual signalling so good job leaving DC.

Gaetz isn't allowed near recess.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Angry_Ed posted:

Oh the even more impossible thing. loving hell. Since when did we need an amendment to create a new state? (Never?)

It's a DC thing. The 23rd amendment grants the District of Columbia (defined as being a district and not a state) 3 electoral votes. Even if you shrink this federal district to just the federal buildings (which is what's in the bill) you'll still have to deal with its electoral votes except it'll have zero people voting in it. The solution to this would be to just have the 3 electoral votes from that ghost district go to the popular vote winner (or the winner of the state of DC's vote) but that opens a can of worms and there is the question of whether that itself would be constitutional.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

PhazonLink posted:

Gaetz is on the House Judiciary Committee. And party boy was only one of two republicans who voted to remove cannabis from the controlled substances list. Homeboy also was the only vote against a human trafficking of minors bill.

Dude knows what he wants and he goes for it. :fsmug:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1388175395929866241

josh is boned. also apparently the parents knew and tried to close ranks.

joking stealing from the GBS thread, talk about 19 and counting.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

It's a DC thing. The 23rd amendment grants the District of Columbia (defined as being a district and not a state) 3 electoral votes. Even if you shrink this federal district to just the federal buildings (which is what's in the bill) you'll still have to deal with its electoral votes except it'll have zero people voting in it. The solution to this would be to just have the 3 electoral votes from that ghost district go to the popular vote winner (or the winner of the state of DC's vote) but that opens a can of worms and there is the question of whether that itself would be constitutional.

The amendment makes no claim to a popular vote and just says that the rules for the electors can be set by legislation. So, they can pick the names out of a hat if they want. This does not require an amendment just passing a law.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Obviously, we did try prohibition once, and that went poorly.

I thought there was some recentish academic works out now that point out that Americans were drinking an absolute poo poo load before prohibition, and while it absolutely did not stop people from consuming or overconsuming it had the effect of pretty severely lowering the amount of booze the average joe drank to more sane levels.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Telsa Cola posted:

I thought there was some recentish academic works out now that point out that Americans were drinking an absolute poo poo load before prohibition, and while it absolutely did not stop people from consuming or overconsuming it had the effect of pretty severely lowering the amount of booze the average joe drank to more sane levels.
Okay, but what if prohibition only covered raspberry vodka?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
department of defense is preparing to cancel border wall contracts

they will use some of the designated funds to stabilize bank erosion and repair levees damaged by construction under the trump admin, the remaining amount will be returned to the sources they were raided from.

this seems specific to funds that trump appropriated from dod. is anyone aware of construction from non-dod funding which might not be affected by this decision?

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

It's like the title of that TV show but instead he hosed 19 kids and maybe more

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Telsa Cola posted:

The first part is certainly true but the reason prohibition even happened was that there was a growing national backlash to that which went to the extreme of banning it entirely. Most people were already realizing how destructive drunkness could be to communities and families and clean water was basically available to everyone by that point.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh cool.

https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/1388235195359375361?s=21

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

The first part is certainly true but the reason prohibition even happened was that there was a growing national backlash to that which went to the extreme of banning it entirely. Most people were already realizing how destructive drunkness could be to communities and families and clean water was basically available to everyone by that point.

And it still created a violent black market that didn't need to exist. I think it's fair to say that what you think about prohibition isn't true. Drinking did go down. Things were not as violent as we think, though a violent black market was still born. But if anyone is using that as an argument that it works well, no. We still have the War on Drugs along with better science about human behavior to tell us that prohibitions don't work and if you want to change addictions you need to provide people reasons to not become addicted. You need to support people, not punish.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sometimes I wish we actually lived in the communist hellscape the GOP thinks we do. Because of we did all these insurrectionists would have been hung and dragged through the streets.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

It was specifically done so he would stop derailing the main threads with filibuster defenses of vaping.

I did it because I didn't want to be the cause of a lengthy derail just like I didn't really want to cause one this time. :(

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

And it still created a violent black market that didn't need to exist. I think it's fair to say that what you think about prohibition isn't true. Drinking did go down. Things were not as violent as we think, though a violent black market was still born. But if anyone is using that as an argument that it works well, no. We still have the War on Drugs along with better science about human behavior to tell us that prohibitions don't work and if you want to change addictions you need to provide people reasons to not become addicted. You need to support people, not punish.

Yeah I'm saying that people would've reduced their alcohol consumption to more reasonable levels even if prohibition never happened.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

Yeah I'm saying that people would've reduced their alcohol consumption to more reasonable levels even if prohibition never happened.

Yeah, I'm agreeing with you and working from the point you made. I'm doing the discuss part of the D's

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Hey, c'mon, it's not like there's plenty of historical precedent showing us exactly what happens when you let fascists participate in the syst—Oh.

Oh poo poo.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Thom12255 posted:

Why

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

As I said in my OP, all the things that came together to cause prohibition to happen were reducing alcohol use in the population already. Most people did think drinking too much was bad for you by that point.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Thom12255 posted:

As I said in my OP, all the things that came together to cause prohibition to happen were reducing alcohol use in the population already. Most people did think drinking too much was bad for you by that point.

The ATS basically became a thing because drunks were beating their wives and because of several other factors like it being a moral failing, not because it was a health risk.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*moral failing for getting drunk, not a moral failing for beating your wife

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Thom12255 posted:

Then what was the point of prohibition if most people didn't think there was a problem?

"Aw gently caress meth is illegal now, oh well, not worth it!!! "
-not the people the prohibition actually affects

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Thom12255 posted:

It was also, like goddamned everything in America, partially an anti-immigrant/anti-worker movement - drinking establishments being common places for Irish and other ethnicities associated with the lower class to meet up, discuss politics, and organize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Thom12255 posted:

The women's temperance movement came about largely because alcoholic husband's were habitually beating the poo poo out of their wives. Should they have just waited patiently for social norms to shift?