Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Grond posted:

Considering all known oneruns have ended up in failure, this might probably be necessary if we want to be able to succeed.

That assumes nobody stole luck from our onerun, as it has been established is possible -_-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What has been the ratio of critical successes to critical failures so far anyways? I know, I know, gambler's fallacy and all that, but I'm still curious just from a statistical perspective.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The elevator is cramped, but you're small enough to keep close to a wall and in your comfort zone... though the smell coming from Shattyshot has you holding your breath.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][30%]

It doesn't take long to get to the top floors. The clown takes you into a dark hallway, filled with miscellaneous furniture, countless potted plants in little islands, and a number of weakly-powered electronics. The air reeks of a dozen chemical smells both sweet and sinister, and Shattyshot inhales with a powerful grunt of satisfaction. He jives in his step now, his old body gaining vibrant motion.

"Singer! You got ppeehp-pitstop inclinations?" Pitsto... oh! Bathroom? YES. Please, God, you need just ten seconds to yourself to breathe. The clown nods, and points out a smaller hallway leading off to a door framed with blue lights. He says "When you're done, come down, last door on the left. I'll tell crew we got guest. You're gongnshh, gonna eat good!"

He smiles, and it makes some tiny corner of your heart tint sad. So you smile back, forced as it is, and scurry down the bathroom hallway. You stop at the door, noticing the blue light spilling from its frame, and pause before going in - you hear music? You push the door and walk in.

OW. That... that is way too far down the visible light spectrum! You rub your eyes, and look to your left, where a large music-playing device of some kind has been duct-taped to the tile wall, wires trailing out and into the ceiling, where juryrigged speakers play pleasant music.

You avoid the mirrors, and duck into a stall to sit down and put your head between your legs. Just take in air. Stop thinking, and take in air. You're here to [ ȩǹ̶͡d̷ ̛͜the̷͝m̕͏ ] KEEP A PROMISE. You're here to... get stuff for Paprika, so you're going to make nice. You're going to wait for your bowels to stop trying to rip themselves in two, and then you're going to go join the smelly clown and meet this friends.

God. What have you gotten yourself into? How do you trick your way out of this? How do you stop the scythe? You sit under the cooling sadism of the blue lights, and rub your face while tearing at your nails. You bite hard enough to hiss and curse... which alerts the other occupant of the bathroom, who gently knocks on the wall of your stall, calling out with a muffled "Youaight?"

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%] [SOMETHING IS GOING TO KILL YOU]

Judging by how loud you scream and scramble off the toilet, you figure you're probably not 'aight'. You're out the stall an on the floor, kicking your legs mad to push yourself against a wall, hand already on your gun to pull up and aim out. You wait, ready, ready to kill. But the voice inside of the stall doesn't come out or attack, it just asks "You're not Blood. You... you cool? Who you?"

Think. Think think think. He steps out wait a beat watch for the foot then pull up aim high hit the torso or pop the head or make him duck back into the stall then get up get up into the stall and pop pop pop pop pop he'll be done you'll have WON-

"I heard intercom. You the one Shatty has guesting?"

You hesitate, heart raging in your chest. Wait. Wait. Wait. You promised. You promised, and this is a part of that promise. The light is blue... which means there's nothing you should do. Put away the gun. Please.

"A'igh?"

You force the gun back inside of your coat, shaking hard enough that your foot rattles on the tile. So when he slowly leans out of his stall to see you, he finds you sitting slumped against the exit door, hands raised and trembling, face a mask of intensity strong enough to make your jaw creak. His face is... just eyes. Dark bleary eyes. He has a mask and a cap on, both of them made from bright red glossy material. He steps out slowly, revealing that the rest of his outfit is the same: red-gloss medical scrubs.

"Pax" he says, making a motion with his red gloved hands. His waist has a tool belt, absolutely filled with... no, no medical tools that you can tell. Just pill bottles. Tons of them. You almost pull your gun again when you see he has a syringe-pistol, but force yourself to stay still. He explains "Chill. This bathroom is Pax. This is safe. Shatty picked you up? Check check, that means you party. It's good! I got script."

He checks his waist, blue light glowing off his gloss, before he plucks out a bottle and shakes out some pills. "I got three. Pick one free."

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][40%] [Easy... easy.]

Wh- pills? Right. They like chemicals. This is good, right? You're on the floor, drooling and wide-eyed with nerves, inside of a musical blue bathroom, while a guy in scrubs offers you drugs. You force yourself to stand up, keeping steady with a hand on the door, and look the guy in the eyes.

"It's full cert. Pax Pills promise. Whatever makes you slick."

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

ahaha no, we are not ending anyone without a due reason, (actual self-defense included).
Let's take a chill pill before we :neet: someone.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Blue pill is maybe a little more likely to be healing, which we don’t really need right now? But yeah, I don’t think we have much to go on here.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I picked the pale pill because stars are pretty.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Those pills are nearly in a three way tie, I don't even want to know what kind of glitched pill that would be like....

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Grabbin' Pills

Star-Shaped Pale Pill - 11
Wisp-Shaped Blonde Pill - 10
Globe-Shaped Blue Pill - 10

...LOADING

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I kinda regret voting for the pale pills now.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

I am suddenly very concerned for just what exactly is the dancer's problem.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Going by what happened with the surf and turf in the Dreamlands, I think a three-way tie might just have been us taking all three pills. Which would probably have been... interesting... given how hard we're trying to keep our emotions under control at the moment!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Regallion posted:

I am suddenly very concerned for just what exactly is the dancer's problem.
I mean, we know Dancer is an addict, it was heavily there in her intro as Blue. The Lords are empowered by what hurts them. Burner burns, and her charred wasteland is a safe haven for her cult that can withstand it. Dancer is an addict, so...

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Having some issues, need an extra night. I did want to say that the next few sections will be having some frequent multi-a-day updates and votes, so be ready. :)

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

This can only mean good things! I bet they’re going to be votes on things like what kind of food we want to eat with our new friends. :3:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Sliding against the door, you push yourself to standing and look the cultist in the eyes. You glance at the pills in his hand, especially the star one, and then go back to making eye contact. You take a second to assess yourself and the situation.

You're anxious, nervous, unfamiliar with the people you're dealing with, and need to play nice despite having to kill their Lord. You want to dry heave. You shouldn't take the pill, just pocket it, but maybe it'll help or make the cultists more affable? You don't know. You think it through.

(IQ: Is this really a good idea?) 10 - [5]+[6]+[6] = 17 - CRITICAL FAILURE!!

Compromised Cranial posted:

STAR SHAPES TASTE YUMMY IN THE TUMMY!!

Garbage Disposal posted:

It's true. Each point is packed with flavor and star vitamins.

You'd respond, but the Central Nervous took the signal and you've swallowed it before you can blink. Your heart jumps, shocked at your behavior, but you find yourself no more or less anxious than before. Weird cult pill, whatever, fine, sure. You want to figure out what's happening here, get Paprika's stuff, and then gently caress off.

Pax Pills claps his hands once. "Starshine. Strong pick. Good luck."

The music changes to something more fast paced, and the scrub-suited man begins to dance under the blue lights. You slowly back out of the bathroom, and wander down the electro-floral hall. Your hand brushes over leaves as you pass, to where a large window shows you the view to the south. You can see a number of tall curving hills, arched towards each other. You figure that's a good landmark to head to next.

But right now, with a pill popped and your body reviled in tension, you need to socialize. The door is spackled with paint, stickers, carvings, plant bits, and all manner of glued-on shiny bits. You test the knob; the door pops open easily, and you're inside with it closed behind you before you can allow your legs to take you back downstairs and off into the wilds.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][40%]

OST: Dawn Stardom

Oh God. You're already stressed. Sweaty, sore, too hot, stomach cramped, body frozen as you take in the riotous room and its contents. Immediately to your left is uh. Wow. A VERY tall being, shrouded in a royal ruin of violet robes with dozens of electrical wires woven with plant vines holding charms and bangles. They have a hood on; in its depths you see yourself reflected off of a strange-colored mask. On their head is a terrible crown of dragon gold, spackled with the stardust of ground thunder gemstones. Leaned against the wall next to them was a lightning rod, curved and scorched dark from obvious use.

Before you get trapped in a staring contest, you quickly assess the rest of the room with a hand gentle-near your hidden gun. Look look look- there, Shattyshot right there, which means you might escape being murdered if he vouches for you. Keep looking - over there, some kind of... they're slender, dressed in a heavy array of witch shrouds, veils, masks, a large brim hat, and concealing ravelight charms. Their face is also unseen behind a rave-rainbow blacklight veil. They're staring at you, and you quick-assess the last potential danger behind them.

The one at the far end of the room - looks like a boney boy. He has a dark blue tophat on, adorned with gold trim and red rubies. His outfit is strange; it looks extremely cheap and shiny, with a dress shirt and vest, slacks, shoes, and a large cloak of black and red. His face is visible; bright red eyes, slicked-back coal-black hair, and a pallor that looks more makeup than real. Does... does he have FANGS? He does! There, poking out of- oh, nevermind. They're fake fangs. You can tell when his mouth opens in astonishment at seeing you, and they nearly fall out of his mouth.

The rest of the apartment space fills your senses in the second of rapid assessment. Plush purple carpets. Insane paintjob. Countless pieces of art hung up and draped around. Dozens of silk curtains. Blue leather couches. A bunch of unique looking plants clustered near the windows. Six tall speakers, all pulsating with orange lights in time to the music. A little dance floor of colored lit glass. A table filled with... oh my God it's FOOD. But it's not blind salamander skewers, or weird berries, or canned goods. It's the real deal! A bowl of pizzas, a tray of all kinds of nuts and seeds, a pitcher of opaque red punch, glistening wetsprigs, and uh. Huh. That looks like a plate stacked with a lot of weird looking raw meat... the violet-robed giant has a plate of that on the couch.

"This! This is singer!" - Shattyshot claps his greasepaint strained hands, and points while looking at the others. You force yourself to not seize up when you notice that the tall robed one was reaching for the lighting rod, before the clown's comment stays their hand. The witchy one doesn't say anything, and goes back to fiddling with the food table. Fakefangs lets out an excited sound, and gaits over with his cloak fluttering to look at you.

"Oh, oh! Hi! Like, uh, have a seat, singer! I'm Bloodshop. Sorry, sorry. I'm excited to see someone new who isn't a corpo, ogre, or wolf. You-"

He looks over you. You can feel the eyes of everyone in the room on you. Keep... keep still... be ready to dive backwards and draw...

"-you got a wicked look! Slack! They got midnight styles."

'Slack', the witch, looks at you again, and then goes back to picking at the table without a word. Shattyshot claps Bloodshop's shoulder. "Thhsythey's a real deal. Helped me pop pop another claw bug. Singer, you meet Pax Pills? He give you a scrip?"

You hesitate. You don't know how to be comfortable in this situation, but you have to try. You nod at the old clown, who seems delighted. "Great! He always has the chill concentrate. Come on, sit, have some snack."

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%] [Muscles Tearing...]

You're fighting mad. Frozen and silent, unable to stop the feeling of being cornered. You beg your body to stop trying to rip you out of the room, stomach seizing hard enough you almost gag. Your neck is on fire. There has hot to bunnshmm. Shlllm. Ppff?

A★IN★EYT: [ ★ ]?[ ★ ]?[ ★ ]?[ ★ ]?[ ★ ]

Bloodshop claps and cheers. "drat! He gave you Starshine? Party-PREPPED."

Sthhshhhine? Yeeuugh mouwth. Sthuugh.

Shattyshot sees you're not handling yourself well, and waves a hand to the others. "Hey hey hhhnnhey. Get, get singer some sip and snack. Help 'em." - Bloodshop does so with a host's eager sway, pouring a cup of the red punch and grabbing an entire pizza, which they roll up before pushing it and the drink into your hand. "Fill up, quick! The dissonance will pass fast if you're fed, then it's all rainbow road. Shatty Shatty, where did you even find this lil' roller?"

Sppnnmmmnch. Pizz. Pllmm,mnh... UCK. You get down the drink first, which seems to loosen your tongue from its sudden lack of cooperation. You bite down into the pizza without regard for safety, your compromised cranial still running your instincts with all the skill of a starving hound. The drink is cool, rich, tangy, and burns pleasantly with a vicious fruit slap. The pizza is, well, it's good. Really good. Bloodshop smiles and says "Just wait a bit before it gives you road. Come on, sit, sit down!"

That's when he makes a mistake, and reaches out to hold your arm to lead you to the couch.

It Didn't Happen Often, But When It Did... posted:

Being touched by the Doctor; you can handle that. She was professional, snake-cold attitude but care-warm behavior. Always telling you, asking you; I'm going to touch you here, are you ok with that. I need to inspect your scars, are you comfortable with that. I'd like to use this tool, this is how it works, are you ready for that. You can handle that, you can trick yourself into allowing that. It helps that the four nurses were always joking, laughing, praising your health, hollering with respect at your horrorshow of scars, beaming proud at how much weight and muscle you've gained.

Being touched by Miss Bella; you can handle that. She never snuck up on you, caught you unaware, forced it on you. She was open with her affection, but it was always an offer. Open arms, a smile, an invitation that was for you to accept or decline. When you did decline, when you knew you couldn't handle it, you saw it there in her monza eyes- something that understood. She'd give you that lovely smile, and instead ask if she could get you lunch.

Being touched by Aitvaras; you want to be able to always handle that. Because he was the SAME. He was the same! He knew every subtlety, every tripwire, every involuntary. He was always, always careful and gentle, and you tired to always, always return that in kind. You want to hold him without the fear. He wants that too. You're both working for it, every time you feel his wings enclose around you. You want to learn to long for his touch.

Being touched by M... the Miner. That. Was something you're still trying to come to terms with. Something you know you want more than anything else. It doesn't happen when she touches you. A hand on the arm, ruffled hair, your tie flipped up, riding on her shoulder, a thumb wetted and rubbed over your face to clear a smear; every time it was a sensation you've never known in this life or the last. It feeds something in you that's been starved skeletal. It wasn't that you were okay with her shows of care; you wanted to return them.

Being touched unexpectedly is something you. Don't. Handle well. The Psychic knows this; he wants to counsel you about it. But the Squire doesn't know. Why would he? You're some grinning idiot peasant, and you haven't done him the respect of telling him the deal. But he learns. When he comes into your bedroom, he doesn't realize you didn't hear him calling. You're zoned out and lost in your racing thoughts, which means you hear a heavy footstep when it's right next to you, and a hand grasping your shoulder.

You terrified him more in the end when you reacted, in the only way your body knew how to.

The food and drink are on the floor. You're backed into a corner. You're dimly aware you're shouting something, sword held up and aimed out, the gun passed over by sheer chance in the panic state. Your arm is burning, reviled, begging for safety from that sudden grasping touch. You stumble and drop to a sit, sword still aimed out, heaving in air as you drown in the scare.

They're all looking at you, and you're alone. Your psychic senses are too far away in your glossing brain, the mushrooms are too confused by the star-shape chemistry. Your tyranny is too far down in the black, licking its wounds. Just you? Just you. Ready to kill.

But nothing happens. Fangs backs away with hands up and a freaked look. The witch just stares, frozen at the food table. The giant robed one casually rests a hand on the giant lightning rod. The clown... he... approaches. You hiss something at him, and he complies by keeping both hands up, before he kneels down with a sad frown.

"Suushshorry. Ccchill! Chilly chilly. I get, I get."

He looks over his shoulder at Bloodshop. "They got the nozone. That's all. Like Longrow, an' Tha 1-2 Blood Kid. I sees it. Isshthshh, it's gonna go in the tent once they go road. Chill it. Chilly."

The other three de-tense, but you don't. Or, you think you're still in a mountainous killstate, until you realize your arms are slack, resting the sword on the ground. It's around this time you notice that the air looks different. It looks... sparkly? Like there's little stars twinkling in and out of some unseen wavelength of light. Your heart is still thundering, but your body is already losing its tension to whatever the pill is doing. Actually, you see one thing the pill is doing - your skin has gained a bizarre gloss over it, a rainbow-sheen one that constantly shifts with every movement. Shattyshot nods and smiles when you look at your hand.

"That some SHINE the star gives. You feel it. You feel the road. You, yoeeoouh, you're in chill, singer! No hurt here; the Paradise Promise."

You swallow and try to shake your glossed brain into place with little success. But you decide to drop your sword and huddle in the corner, forcing yourself to resist the enchanting vision of sparkling air. The other three allow Shattyshot to speak his peace, but remain cautious. The Rave Witch pulls out two glowstiks, which they crack into the colors red and dark gray. They make swift hand motions, in a flowing writ-like way, seeming to trace letters in rapid succession. Bloodshop nods his head at the witch. "Yeah. I bet she would like them." - it doesn't sound enthused.

Shattyshot points over his shoulder. "Yu-yuh-yu, you can use the cleaner if you like. Toily and rinse, lotta hot water. Right through the bedroom."

That sounds magical. That sounds so good. Your glossed body has trouble getting up, but you do so with a liquid-stiffness, clumsily putting your sword away. Your single visible eye remains wide open as the clown steps to the side to clear a path, ushering the others to let you go by. You go quickly, always keeping yourself facing them, backing slowly into the bedroom, only looking once over your shoulder (what if someone is waiting to kill you in here?) before you go inside, slam the door, and lock it.

You lie on the cool tile floor, staring up at the painted ceiling, where starscape races across the air. Even when you close your eyes, the gloss and shimmer can still be seen... and it's a comfort. You need that comfort. You need to calm down. You need to stop reacting like this - you're not going to survive if you keep loving UP like this. Just... relax. Just breathe. Just wait, and then take a nice hot shower. Your very first since you came to this fallen land.

Maybe after that, you'll have the control necessary to be a friendly little murderer with the 'crew'.

[You've gained the Starshine status. This gives you absolute immunity to damage, unless the damage dealt is greater than or equal to your Max HP. If it is, then you'll absorb the damage and lose the Starshine. This effect will eventually wear off on its own, but there's no telling how long that'll be. It also has strong visual effects, and a sensation as if you're glossed frictionless and accelerating, even when perfectly still. No stat penalties, but it may influence your thinking.]

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Huh, so we ate a Mario star. Neat. Hopefully it doesn't fade soon.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Compromised Cranial posted:

STAR SHAPES TASTE YUMMY IN THE TUMMY!!

Garbage Disposal posted:

It's true. Each point is packed with flavor and star vitamins.
I admit it, I laughed out loud. This is wonderful.

e: Also, these are some heavy hitters. Bloodshop is one of the six Liaisons, maybe to Bleeder's cult? And the Thundering King isn't even with the Backup, he's one of Burner's "four dryads who excel at destruction above all others in her cult".

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 30, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What happened to that big plate of hamburgers we had?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

BigFactory posted:

What happened to that big plate of hamburgers we had?

The character forgot them in the bathroom after their spook with Pax Pills and the critically failed IQ roll.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Oh hey, look what I found!

Black August posted:

...LOADING

The Congregation are Bleeder's cult, all the dead of the Island, and Beach Bae is the Liaison with Doubler's Musers. Also, according to the Blue Book, Pax Pills and Midnight Slack are two of Dancer's best students and have each learned a facet of her Dance.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So what you're saying is that not only did we hit the motherload of "people to influence", but that we ALSO made ourselves out to be a complete and total fool? Sounds about right.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm not actually sure we made that bad an impression, at least when it comes to the anxiety response? The vibe I'm getting from the cultists is that they've all got their problems, and someone freaking out about being touched isn't all that weird, even a violent freakout.

On the other hand, we're also demonstrating that we're a party-drug lightweight, which seems like it might be a bigger issue.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
As long as we don't use our invincibility as an intro to Jackass style stunts.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Sounds like we should repeatedly shoot ourself in the head. It's a great party trick!

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Randalor posted:

we ALSO made ourselves out to be a complete and total fool?

I feel like we're in the company of people who would find that endearing or at least understand

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Party The Night Before It Had To Be Done posted:

Vincent stared into the mirror of the shower cell, seeing his reflection of disgust. "I can't believe they said this place has poor accommodations. The 'weakest wishes' line was weird humility Cass, do you SEE this setup? We're still using wood tubs and they have infinite hot water."

Cass was too busy with the sink. She adjusted her skirted robe, showing her Red Roosters shirt that had been a popular talk piece. Vincent had followed after a while for his Blue Bombers shirt, taking off just his top armor to sell the T-Shirt Knight look.

The night in the apartments was going great for everyone so far; it almost felt like a spring costume party. The Ranger, Valkyrie, Miner, and Archer had secured an agreement with Liaisons of the Backup Cult. They hadn't talked about what they did, just that it had earned Home's Army an all-expense paid overnight inside of the displaced wish-improved apartments. It was a place with a lot of history to the cults, even if a majority of them didn't care for it anymore. The only ones who still visited were those with an attachment to it, and only Fire Joker was there all the time for the necessary vigil.

Their arrival coincided with a good number of those attached cultists staying the night, since they wanted to prepare the place for it to be the final stopping point on the circuitous pilgrimage back to the Paradise Megalith. Learning that fact made Vincent nervous, but he trusted the Ranger, who helped spearhead the diplomacy with Fire Joker.

Cass, of course, ended up getting along famously with the one dryad in all the Backup. She had the exact three qualities the vicious Liaison appreciated, which had led to the idea for the little party in the first place. Then the Valkyrie had made a decree to the company that sure, go ahead, this is on the house - by which she meant everyone could get shitfaced and ingest every godless substance at hand. Vincent was disciplined enough to know he'd rather stick to pocketing what was good for later, and not pushing himself too far. Still... some neon wine from Midnight Slack already had him gushing over his poetry studies, even if his rapt audience only spoke in head gestures and glowstik colors.

The two swapped places, as Cass got into the wishtech shower and Vincent groomed himself in the gempane mirror. "Can you help with my bindings when you're out? We need to find Gaziel before we keep doing more diplomancy."

Cass was laughing at the sheer range of temperature settings available. 'Ideal' seemed to match the exact heat she personally wanted at all times. "Yeah. I really want to be sure the pill they gave him is actually working." It had troubled them both hatefully that the old troll had so much access to alcohol they couldn't do anything about, but the shotgun clown and toilet-stall doctor cultists had covered it with an old wished bottle of 'Liver Pills' that would have him sober and system cleared to a healthy slumber the moment he passed out going too far.

Thing is, for a one-ton troll, going too far took hours of power; he was earning legend by drinking teams of colonists and cultists under the table at that very moment, and he wasn't going to be done for hours yet. Vincent finished with his hair, and decided to ask his companion about something that had her out of sorts earlier.

"Hey... the giant dryad. The Sunburner royal. Did she threaten you?"

Cass scrubbed her hair and hummed in acknowledgment. "Is the music loud enough?"

Vincent went to peek; the bedroom was empty, the door still closed. The music was making the walls shake, voices audible in chorus with the sing-along systems the Backup had turned on. On top of that, the shower was loud with the force and number of jets it had, the steam taken away by roaring ventilation.

"...yup."

The Fire Elementalist got near the glass of the shower, which the Winter Knight leaned on as he looked at the window. "I think we're in deep trouble." Vincent nodded. He had that nag too. "You talked to her through that fire you made together?" Cass held off the distinct memory. She had spoken to a myriad type of flames, even unnatural chemical fires. But never one like this, using a fallen element. She wasn't ready to tell him yet that she had managed to get caught by the smallest spark of Radiance. Nothing to truly fear unless she caught dozens more... oh but that sensation, the ide҉às̵. "They're scary, Vincent. They're wipe-out-Anidus-overnight scary, so Home is gone in seconds. I don't know if we're going to talk them into not letting our colony end up going nightmare."

Vincent walked away and closed the window. "Listen, we have both of their Lords vouching for us. Dancer and Burner won't let them go madhouse as long as we show the courtly graces to them. We earned that, Cass."

She stepped out of the shower to dry off, but left it going full blast. "I know. I just don't know if that's going to convince all of them. If any of them want us dead anyways-" She counted off as she scrubbed dry. "Wishes! Nukes! Immortality!" and so much more, but those were the only rumors they had sussed out so far. Vincent prepped for Cass to help him, suddenly ready to finish the track of thought and get back to having a good time. "I think we'll figure it out. We have some amazing minds with us. They told us no-worries-have-parties tonight, which I don't think is going to happen everywhere we go. Let's have fun with this."

The young magi went to work helping with the rebind and agreed, sensing the temperature change that asked for something less stressful. "Yeah. This really is insane. Magitech overnight hotel... I hope they talk the cult into letting us bounce back here as a stop-in."

She finished, and both redressed with their refresh. The Knight strapped his sword and shield to his t-shirted back. "After Gaziel, let's try out whatever stuff gets vetted! I wouldn't mind being able to show off some freeze-sculpting and do poet recitals."

Cass shut everything off, as she thought back to how she had been so well-liked by the Thundering King. Through the radiant deep-red flame, she had expressed that the colonist had the necessary talent to speak and understand the metaphors to manifest Hellfire. The Sunburner branded her aware of that truth, and it left the pyromancer now unsure which was more dangerous to wage between diplomacy and war.

Though if asked, Cassandra wouldn't lie. She couldn't wait to see Paradise if it really was so much better than the ridiculous accommodations wished for here, when the Backup first came into their power.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah, to be fair, everyone in the Dead End(?) seems to have their own issues, our problem is more that we're a noncommunicative little gremlin that that we're a twitchy anxiety wreck.

I mean, at least we didn't actually bite or shoot anyone.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... I said we made ourself out to be a fool when talking about a group with a clown in it. That wasn't meant as a joke, and I'm sorry I said it. And I didnt say making a fool of ourself was a bad thing.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
So this is confirmation that the Heaven's End stuff is happening at, if not the same "time" as our timeline is, at least pretty close, since it now involves the same cultists being at the same places.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You sit up startled, when Cassandra steps on you on her way ou-

★INVINCIBILITY★: [ ★ ] [ ★ ] [ ★ ]
HP: [ 18 / 21 ] [Starshine-21]
FP: [ 22 / ▓14 ]

-tuh? Oh no. You fell asleep?! For how long?

The bathroom is dark save for the late afternoon cloudlight. The door is still locked. You listen, and confirm that you still hear the same song from before playing. Just... quick minute out. That's all. You stand up feeling the bizarre, looking down at your rainbow sheen. You legitimately can't tell if it's actually there, or some alchemical hallucination. What really fascinates you is that the little glimmering starshow is there, somehow, since you can wave you hand at the closest clusters and send it moving like water.

[Special Trait Interaction]

It takes a second, but you realize you feel... stable? Your heart feels just fine. Muscles just, there. You can't tell if you're anxious or not. You don't feel any of it. You feel invulnerable.

This would be an emotionally devastating feeling for you, but you're immune to that too. You examine the shower- intimidating. But if it's hot water, you'll risk it all. You carefully dress down, critically examining your new suit. It's still clean, perfectly pressed, fresh with its coldspice scent. ...after a while wearing it, you admit your old suit is more comfortable. But this one is just the most amazing luxury you never thought permissible. The Black Crows shirt goes last. Still as colorful crisp as the day you earned it.

You think about it while you carefully fiddle the shower. There's some knobs, jets, showerheads, lights, the roaring vents overhead, and even some color crystals for some kind of unknown setting. You're terrified for a second about getting blasted with ice or scald but your sense of invincibility shrugs it off like water, which makes you laugh. It takes a minute to figure out, but soon you have a hot shower going and you don't plan on leaving it anytime soon.

You're pretty sure you're relaxed, as you sit on the floor under the roar of the many jets. It's a warm and thoughtless bliss, invincible with color, the starlights crashing in a storm with the shower currents. Ok. Ok. You're overwhelmed, and it's clear your brain is working waaaaay too hard and fast. You're incredibly stressed about leaving the valley. You miss Kwiat. You're on a new kind of edge that you haven't had time to adjust to yet, and now you're waving your sword at costumed killshows.

It's not going to get any easier. You have to try to get through this. Just go with the flow. Try to match their superstardom style. You can, right? I mean, you did before, but not quite like this. But that was then. Now it's you.

https://i.imgur.com/7I29sUX.mp4
You're out of the shower and dried with with an impossibly soft towel that you immediately cram into your pack, because there's ten of them and they're a lovely blue color. A great score for your room! You have your next first chance, as your approach the spacious sink and discover multiple brushes. You get your hair detangled clean. Looking at your clothes, you think on how to better work this situation.

Looking at the mirror... you think about how you want to channel this sensation of rainbow gloss. Heh. You could do a thousand pratfalls with this kind of superstardom protecting you. You think of harelquins, and get ready to go back out to the party with everything set to Clean.

First, how to style yourself if you're trying to be Singer?
Which means you have to decide how to wear Red's gift.
Both of those inform the last decision; who comes to the party?

[Voting ends later tonight.]

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Caught up; this is one hell of a story.

Think we ought to stay in the suit for this; can't find it at the moment, but I seem to recall one of the Blue Book entries stated Bloodshop was one of the Backup who particularly appreciated suits, and I feel like keeping them friendly ought to be a goal if we want to expand the range of tolerant/friendly cults.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Yo, this comedown is gonna suuuuuuuuuck

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - My Style

My Shirt.
Go down to just the Black Crows shirt. - 3
Stick with the full Kadath Red suit, sword worn military. - 7
Down to the dress shirt, sleeves rolled, gun worn on side. - 4

My Shroud.
Continue to be fully shrouded and hidden. - 5
Wear it like a cape, reveal your head. - 9
Tie it around the waist, fully unshrouded. - 0

My Self.
Just you, alone in the spotlight of stardom. - 3
Reflect the starlight onto the Silver Mind to fully wake it. - 1
Let the starlight come down to the Dark to invite its tyranny. - 2
Find the right angle, and let them both be given the spotlight attention. - 9

...LOADING

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
uh oh, the loading screen's giving us sass
that's never a good sign

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

A repeat tip as well, and I think that’s the first time this has happened. :ohdear:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I know I didn't have a good feeling about us getting a flashback not from our perspective.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Oh noes!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Suit on, tie adjusted, shoes cleaned, hair acceptable. Red's gift, draped shawl over your shoulders, sword buckled visibly but ceremonially. You look out the window again towards the distant hills, landscape swimming with the starry little lights. You catch a whiff of vanilla on the breeze.

★INVINCIBILITY★: [ ★ ] [ ★ ] [ ★ ]

You're fully rainbow. Inside of those colors, you know there's avenues of ascent for shades of silver, mushroom, and midnight - you bring them up with the infinite emotional tether afforded you, slowly pulling your heart and mind back into their original orbits. It's been a very difficult day, but superstars don't get to be 'off', do they? Always on, always 100%.

The SIlver Mind posted:

Starshine; the metaphor made real. You're immersed in it, the idea of that distance and heat, beauty and light, fortune and force. I can't say when it'll end or what comes after that kind of descent. We'll take it one step at a time. One color of confidence is to not look ahead for catastrophe- will it end that way? We can't know. So we can't worry about it. The fungal colony will keep its peace; I won't allow it to complicate an already-difficult situation.

The Dark posted:

You roll your neck, left and right shoulders cracking loudly as the weight settles back down. Ok. You can deal with this now. You're invulnerable to all damage, and that forbids your emotions from standing in the way.

The door opens, and you wonder why you feel as though someone might be in the bedroom. The feelings flees as you pass back into the party with the music roaring on.

Only, there's no party when you come back to it. Shattyshot is asleep on the couch... his shotgun is right there for the taking. But that'd violate the diplomatic principal. For now. You head to the table and look at the food, but you don't want to eat before finding out where everyone is. Peek around the corner... not in the kitchen. You head back out the door and hall, deciding that getting a glass of punch to carry and sip is the right play.

They all go quiet when you step out. There, clustered around one of the tables filled with foliage and static screens, was Pax Pills, the vampire, and the neon witch. The tall one was gone. They were all eating burgers from a bag on a plate. Pax Pills points with his burger at you, easing the sudden hush-tension with a "There! Burgersong!"

Wh- oh poo poo. The gift you made and brought. You completely left it in the toilet. You manage to smile with relief that it's been found and used. You wave, bearing the scrutiny of the three seeing you unmasked. Bloodshop says "Wow singer. That's a real fine piece. You brought the burgs?"

You nod. Yeah. He munches his and says "They're FRESH, and the King was all over them. She took a couple dozen since she's been dying for some beef and then took off, but she said thanks. You feelin' ok?"

Adjusting your tie, you walk over and help yourself to a burger, and shoot Bloodshop an easy expression before you nod. The cultist doesn't seem offput at all by your shift in self. "Shine on then. I uh-"

He looks at the other two hesitently. Pax Pills throws his hands and says "Naw Bloodshop don't. Come on."

Bloodshop looks sorry. "I know I shouldn't have told her but she was going to find out either way."

You eat your burger and lean on the table, looking expectantly at the three when you realize something is up, obviously with you being here. You look at the witch, who is juggling a few glowstix while avoiding the argument.

The red pharmacist turns to you and says with drama "Whatever she says, you can sleep in the bathroom if you wanna stay the night. That's PAX."

He walks off with a rude gesture to nothing in particular, and bangs back into the bathroom. Bloodshop sits on the table and takes out his fangs, rubbing them down with a sour expression. "Hey um... he's just mad, since, the crew who kind of runs this place wants to meet you right away. Her name is Fire Joker. Look look don't be nervous, just, we figured maybe you could stay the night as a thanks. You brought burgers and helped Shatty and that's real clean, you know? Look, Burgerso- singer, she'll love the suit. She'll LOVE the burgers. I'll go too! If that's cool?"

Yeesh. He talks a mile a minute. Melodic voice... at 200mph. You manage to process what's being said and realize you're about to get put under scrutiny by what you're assuming is the resident party pooper. Which is good, because that's who you should probably ask about Paprika's apartment. You admire the witch, whose outfit gleams with neons and blacklights in the dim of the hallway, and wave your hand. Taking a second to speak, you say yes, take me.

Bloodshop almost touches you- but he holds his hand to himself. "Ok. Roll with me. Slack, you gonna see to Shatty?" - the witch nods, her colorveil bouncing. She takes a few burgers, and waves with one at you as she goes. The vampire twists his hat around, and gestures to the plate while you walk. "Is that your work too?" You nod. Yup. "Talented! I promise promise this will be cool. Fire Joker is a stickler because of how dangerous things are, she just wants to vet. I'll vouch."

Off you go. Bloodshop takes you out of the building entirely, down to the southeast building- the overgrown one gets a wide berth, and you cut through part of the center square. Thank GOD not near the northeast end where the machine burned down. The boney boy is eager to show off as you walk.

"I bet Shatty told you all about the place; we're trying our best to gussy it back up to its old glory, but it'd be superfine to let someone have a night here if they need it. Like, I know all my crew already, so some new face with mind in the same space is fire!"

You keep the pleasant smile. Hell, you even mean it, with nothing to feel to stop it. Getting inside of this structure is easier than the last one, with a normal if grandiose double door entrance. But immediately inside is far different. Huge... deformed. The building's middle seems to be cored, perfectly cut through to reveal the cross section. More of the three-displaced meld of apartments, plants, and dark metal halls with red lights. It's more pronounced here; layers of material filling empty space and intersecting in bizarre ways, rooms puzzled together from a dozen pieces, entire hanging gardens.

The evidence of cult life on top of that is plain to see with hundreds of constructed catwalks and ladders. Bloodshop leads you away from a grand strairwell of extreme vinegrowths, and instead takes you around the corner to one of the rooms made from the dark steel. No red lights; instead there's a small arcade and lounge, which he offers you a seat at. "I'm going to pass through the growth and get Fire Joker. Please help yourself, singer."

Hm. The cultist walks off, and you're left with the lounge. Looks like there's some colorful wishmade playing machines you can try out. You think you'll try something while you wait if only because, in the invincible of your superstardom, you know you should be doing something that looks COOL when this Fire Joker comes down to meet you. You set down the plate and burger bag while you sip your punch and admire how the stars look sparkling among the massive drapes of green, and then head over to test your mettle. Sure, you burned down that other machine, but who feels that right now?

What's going to be coolest?

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Singing is going to either go great or really badly! Roll 18: continent sinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

That's not really a choice is it. People here just can't help themselves voting for glitches.