Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Zero One posted:

Industry estimates have USF and IOA at #6 and #7 in North America attendance in 2019. After all 4 WDW parks and Disneyland.

https://www.teaconnect.org/images/files/TEA_200716114909_367224_585154.pdf

Worldwide they are 11 and 12. The Japan parks for both brands have better attendance than everyone except MK and Disneyland.

I know Disney is about name/family recognition, but my family consistently had more fun at Universal than at Disney World, everything at Disney was super expensive, long lines / you miss things because of queues and there is just unfortunately, a timeframe of childhood that you can miss that would find the appeal to Disney while Universal is across the board. I love Disney Magic Kingdom, I never been until I was an adult, and I adore the Haunted Mansion so much but I feel like it should compete closer with the various areas you get at Universal, and when the "Epic Universe" area opens up I imagine it'd at least compete closer than these numbers show now. At least I hope, cause Universal is great for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Diabetic posted:

...there is just unfortunately, a timeframe of childhood that you can miss that would find the appeal to Disney...

I think the existence of this thread sorta disproves this. Being a married couple without kids, me and my wife don't really have plans to stop going. So, I think it's less about being the right age and more about taste.

Universal wasn't for us, Disney is. Not faulting Universal for that, though.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Nothing gets my dander up faster than hearing Disney called "a children's park." There is no right age for Disney. You either like it or you don't. It's not about age.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Diabetic posted:

I know Disney is about name/family recognition, but my family consistently had more fun at Universal than at Disney World, everything at Disney was super expensive, long lines / you miss things because of queues and there is just unfortunately, a timeframe of childhood that you can miss that would find the appeal to Disney while Universal is across the board. I love Disney Magic Kingdom, I never been until I was an adult, and I adore the Haunted Mansion so much but I feel like it should compete closer with the various areas you get at Universal, and when the "Epic Universe" area opens up I imagine it'd at least compete closer than these numbers show now. At least I hope, cause Universal is great for everyone.

As a teen, I appreciated IOA a lot for having bigger thrills (notably, the Hulk coaster) than Disney. Outside of that, everything about Disney was better, from the service to immersion to use of IP with long term appeal, and even food quality (albeit generally more expensive).

Universal adding HP and other IP and generally focusing much more on immersion than in the past certainly adds to the appeal. And my family will probably try universal at some point, but the draw in Orlando for the foreseeable future for us (and most families) will still be Disney for a long time, outside of some major changes at both companies that somehow flips that appeal.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
RE: Wish announcement video
Boat looks awesome and I want to be on it. Sorta hoping Disney makes a call on the September Alaskan cruise before May 27 because if they cancel it, we are totally shifting credits to a Wish cruise.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Diabetic posted:

Universal has minions. No thanks

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers truly.

I have a 7 year old and a 14 year old, the 14 year old is more interested in the coasters and thrills while the 7 year old is "too big" for some of the more kid friendly areas, but a scaredy cat when it comes to things like the beginning of Pirates and the Haunted Mansion itself. So I have an awkward set of youngsters at the moment.

Me personally, both times I've been to the Magic Kingdom, I'm the one still going around and looking at stuff while my wife is collapsed on Main Street and I carry both my kids in my arms to the shuttle.

Disney is absolutely a great park and has a timeless appeal, I was just trying to say (awkwardly) that Universal is also great and I just think it should do at least on level with Disney in some respects.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

Nothing gets my dander up faster than hearing Disney called "a children's park." There is no right age for Disney. You either like it or you don't. It's not about age.

note to self: send braks one of those sassy cakes with "DISNEY IS A CHILDREN'S PARK" in giant pink letters.

for real though, I'm an old grumpy gently caress and Disney is awesome.

Universal is full of a lot of bigoted IPs and not great representation at the moment and I'm not really into it.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

Age is definitely a big part of it for some people, it was for me. I didn't care for Disney as a teen due to the lack of thrill rides compared to other parks. I preferred Universal in my late teens, and would go at least once a week whereas I went to Disney maybe once while I was going to college in Florida.

I grew to appreciate Disney World more and more as an adult after going to places like King's Dominion that weren't clean, had little effort in theming, and didn't do anything about people constantly jumping lines. Similar stories about how Universal's gotten with that has me at zero interest in going back to Universal.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've become something of a grumpy old man at Disneyland in recent years, but don't have that feeling about Disney World, but I think it's Disney changing my favorite childhood areas of Disneyland CA for the worse (gently caress 90s Tomorrowland, basically.) DL is also culturally most relevant to Boomers, whereas Epcot was about an 80s vision of the future that I can actually still remember with first hand experiences. I was afraid I would be very unhappy with New Epcot, but it seems like they're keeping the 80s vibe while shifting the message to "those things we told you about would be in the future are here now, so here's some new stuff with similar appeal" which is great.

But really, the immersion of WDW counts for a lot to me anymore. Having a working PeopleMover helps a lot, too.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I went to Disney for the first time with my now-wife when I was 31 and loved it. If you've only ever been to Magic Kingdom I guess I can see how you'd get the wrong idea that it's just for kids.

But the service, timelessness, food, and atmosphere is just leagues beyond anything Universal can put out. Giant square unthemed buildings that hold yet another ride that takes you from screen to screen. Long slow-moving queues without fans, interactives, or scenery. Sure they've got a couple fun coasters and the Harry Potter lands, but no thanks I'll skip Dr. Seuss land or the Men in Black ride that looks like it hasn't been updated since the movie came out.

Don't get me wrong, I had fun the day we went, but I did everything I wanted and I'd rather spend that money at WDW than go again.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

How's Universal cheaper?
I feel like I'm being overcharged everywhere

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Universal is full of a lot of bigoted IPs and not great representation at the moment and I'm not really into it.

I’m curious which IPs you mean. Not dismissing you at all, but I’m genuinely unaware and haven’t heard this as a big complaint against Universal in particular.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Junkie Disease posted:

How's Universal cheaper?
I feel like I'm being overcharged everywhere

the one day tickets are not quite bad as Disney, but they are close these days.

Annual Pass prices are far more affordable tho.

Food and Drink is about the same, I'd wager, although I ate at Richters Burgers the other day and Jesus, that took a chunk of the ol' wallet.

Whoever was thinking about Cabana Bay, DO IT. Best "value" resort in the Orlando area. The vibe is just so pleasant and fun. Also one of the pools also has a lazy river and that is just the dopest poo poo.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nottherealaborn posted:

I’m curious which IPs you mean. Not dismissing you at all, but I’m genuinely unaware and haven’t heard this as a big complaint against Universal in particular.

-Harry Potter
-Minions
-Arguably some of the earlier F & F
-Potentially the Seuss Estate though they seem to be pretty dedicated to trying to fix things as they come up
-Chris Pratt is just a whole thing but he's at Disney too

Even if you wanna go all-in on The Simpsons for racism and bigotry in the past (though they also seem to be trying to make things better).

Disney has its own problems but they seem to be trying to work on a lot of them. Universal is like "get your bank cards ready to throw money at Rowling right frickin now"

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Nottherealaborn posted:

Harry Potter is my guess although most fans have been trying to separate the franchise from the creator.

Edit: what's wrong with minions besides weird Facebook memes outside the control of Universal?

Zero One fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 30, 2021

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zero One posted:

Harry Potter is my guess although most fans have been trying to separate the franchise from the creator.

If they did that, it'd be fine. Rowling still gets a good chunk of cash out of Universal last I knew; as well as perpetuating other sales from her ideas and creations, which also fund her.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If they did that, it'd be fine. Rowling still gets a good chunk of cash out of Universal last I knew; as well as perpetuating other sales from her ideas and creations, which also fund her.

Yeah I mean taking it away from her in spirit. Obviously she legally owns it and still gets paid but the fans (and actors too I think) have tried to ignore her and any recent stupid things she has tried to retcon.

This is my basic understanding anyway. I'm not in those fan groups myself.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Yeah, I don't buy Wizarding World merchandise anymore (and I try to stay away from food and beverage, but sometimes I just can't resist a butterbeer, which feels dirty)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah my wife grew up loving HP a ton and it's been tough for her to reconcile her love for the story and characters with her disappointment in JKR as a person. Daniel Radcliff said it really well with the "don't let anyone take away what those characters and stories meant to you, even the creator" sentiment. But at the same time, we won't be going to see any more of the movies, buy books etc.

I don't think she gets a take directly from the parks though, that would be a weird arrangement for the parks. I'm sure she got a huge check upfront and all but the money from Universal is likely all from the movie deals and revenue.

actually looked it up and I was wrong according to forbes:

quote:

Rowling receives low double-digit millions from a share of ticket, merchandise, sponsorship and food and beverage revenue.

But in the end going to Universal for the day isn't any worse than buying groceries at walmart, shopping at amazon, etc. Vote with your wallet where you can but don't go as far as to keep yourself from enjoying the things that bring you a bit of happiness in our capitalistic hellscape.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 30, 2021

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
She absolutely gets a percentage of park revenues.

Also Warner Brothers makes the movies.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah my wife grew up loving HP a ton and it's been tough for her to reconcile her love for the story and characters with her disappointment in JKR as a person. Daniel Radcliff said it really well with the "don't let anyone take away what those characters and stories meant to you, even the creator" sentiment. But at the same time, we won't be going to see any more of the movies, buy books etc.

I don't think she gets a take directly from the parks though, that would be a weird arrangement for the parks. I'm sure she got a huge check upfront and all but the money from Universal is likely all from the movie deals and revenue.

actually looked it up and I was wrong:

Ooof. that's a lot more than I expected she'd get now.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

But in the end going to Universal for the day isn't any worse than buying groceries at walmart, shopping at amazon, etc. Vote with your wallet where you can but don't go as far as to keep yourself from enjoying the things that bring you a bit of happiness in our capitalistic hellscape.

you should see the list of stuff I don't support or do because it supports bad things, man. it just kinda makes me go "okay, well, gently caress universal until that agreement expires I guess". trans issues are just too rough right now for me to support it. I don't think a theme park is nec- oh god this just turned into theme parks=/=grocery stores somehow. oh god oh god oh god :lol:

I live in the shithole deep south but I still try to not walmart and amazon when I can.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

-Harry Potter
-Minions
-Arguably some of the earlier F & F
-Potentially the Seuss Estate though they seem to be pretty dedicated to trying to fix things as they come up
-Chris Pratt is just a whole thing but he's at Disney too

Even if you wanna go all-in on The Simpsons for racism and bigotry in the past (though they also seem to be trying to make things better).

Disney has its own problems but they seem to be trying to work on a lot of them. Universal is like "get your bank cards ready to throw money at Rowling right frickin now"

HP - yeah that makes sense, especially since Jk still makes bank on the parks for her IP

Minions I don’t know anything in particular that’s bad about them

Which part of F&F is particularly bad? I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a lot of homophobia and sexism in those movies, but it’s been a long time since I’ve bothered with the franchise.

Seuss is fine for me. He had a lot of racist works, especially around WWII, but IIRC apologized and hated those works later in life. And a lot of his more popular books actually have good messages in them. But the exact same can be said of Disney for his roles in WWII propaganda.

Yeah...Pratt is his own issue. My wife and I talked about him earlier this week, and couldn’t remember if he is actively involved in the anti-LGBT poo poo or if he happens to belong to an organization that is, but personally isn’t outspoken on the topic. Either way is not good, but definitely changes the overall picture a bit.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The idea that any of these issues with their selected IP (apart from the Harry Potter stuff, since JKR is absolutely a transphobe and the less money that goes to her the better) would make Universal less progressive/worth supporting than Disney, a company that was perfectly content to have a ride themed after loving SONG OF THE SOUTH for three decades, is a bit silly.

And I'm also puzzled why F+F is worthy of that same type of criticism - admittedly I've only seen like two of the movies, but I wasn't aware of anything super objectionable about the series. Casting-wise, it's probably one of the most diverse movie franchises out there.

Nikaer Drekin fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 30, 2021

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I live in the shithole deep south but I still try to not walmart and amazon when I can.

Your shithole deep south "shop local" stores are probably owned and operated by some worse people :can:

The world is cruel

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Diabetic posted:

Universal lacks appeal for like 2-5 year olds compared to Disney, so I don't think it qualifies as having across the board appeal.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I would like to try a Butterbear and that's about it.

I like Disney more than the other parks because I don't feel like I'm being nickel and dimed on basic things for my convenience. I'm not having to buy one time use lockers before a roller coaster, there's no $50 photo pass, and there's no $80 fast pass system per person.

Also Disneyland wait times are like between 5 and 20 minutes with the longest being a 30 minute wait for Soarin. I'm really tempted to grab a ticket and go now.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Roth posted:

no $50 photo pass,

Correct... At Disney it's $70-$200

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/memory-maker/

quote:

and there's no $80 fast pass system per person.

I guess Maxpass was only $20.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

isn't Chris Pratt at the same level as the Harry Potter lady for just being a piece of poo poo? His brother is a giant piece of poo poo, and Chris supports him https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/02/08/chris-pratts-solano-sheriffs-brother-promoted-far-right-imagery-investigation-shows/

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Zero One posted:

Correct... At Disney it's $70-$200

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/memory-maker/

I guess Maxpass was only $20.

I go to Disneyland and Maxpass was $10 and came with all the photos and online fastpass. Offline fastpass is free. Miss me with this Disneyworld bs.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

the one day tickets are not quite bad as Disney, but they are close these days.

Annual Pass prices are far more affordable tho.

Food and Drink is about the same, I'd wager, although I ate at Richters Burgers the other day and Jesus, that took a chunk of the ol' wallet.

Whoever was thinking about Cabana Bay, DO IT. Best "value" resort in the Orlando area. The vibe is just so pleasant and fun. Also one of the pools also has a lazy river and that is just the dopest poo poo.

We're staying at Dockside for 2 nights and then Cabana Bay for 2 more nights in a couple weeks. I'm stoked about Cabana Bay. I've heard nothing but great things. Overall, I actually think Universal does hotels better than Disney. Portofino Bay is my favorite hotel in Orlando.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Roth posted:

I go to Disneyland and Maxpass was $10 and came with all the photos and online fastpass. Offline fastpass is free. Miss me with this Disneyworld bs.
This is the WDW thread and we were talking about the Orlando parks specifically.

I just Googled maxpass price and it said $20. Since I haven't been to DL in decades I don't know which is right. https://touringplans.com/disneyland-resort/maxpass

And DL's photo pass is $20-78

https://allears.net/2021/04/27/you-can-now-purchase-disneyland-photopass-packages/

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Ooof. that's a lot more than I expected she'd get now.

People who post incorrect rumors all the time like Jim Hill thought Disney passed on Potter and let Universal take it because she was too details-oriented and insisting on weird things like hidden button bricks-in-the-wall that open the door to the whole land and other highly impractical details from the books that couldn't work affordably in a high-capacity theme park environment. Nah. It was money. That poo poo was good food for the furious "declining by degrees" crowd who is pissed that DisneySea wasn't built in North America, though.

JKR isn't a Hollywood person really, so she probably believes a long-standing attraction based on something she owns in a park should make her a co-owner in that park. Which given the exploitation of animators and filmmakers the industry does, would be admirable if it wasn't also from the same person who keeps vocalizing garbage ideas. It's like that time when Kanye said on a red carpet that the Kardashian family should be co-owners of E! since they make half the network schedule. Worst person you know just made a point, and all that.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 30, 2021

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Zero One posted:

This is the WDW thread and we were talking about the Orlando parks specifically.

I just Googled maxpass price and it said $20. Since I haven't been to DL in decades I don't know which is right. https://touringplans.com/disneyland-resort/maxpass

And DL's photo pass is $20-78

https://allears.net/2021/04/27/you-can-now-purchase-disneyland-photopass-packages/

Unfortunately there is no Disneyland thread :negative:

But before the closure Maxpass was $10, might have been raised to $15. On the app they just have the Photopass for $20 for a day.

Everywhere else around here fast passes are a significant price upgrade.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nikaer Drekin posted:

The idea that any of these issues with their selected IP (apart from the Harry Potter stuff, since JKR is absolutely a transphobe and the less money that goes to her the better) would make Universal less progressive/worth supporting than Disney, a company that was perfectly content to have a ride themed after loving SONG OF THE SOUTH for three decades, is a bit silly.

And I'm also puzzled why F+F is worthy of that same type of criticism - admittedly I've only seen like two of the movies, but I wasn't aware of anything super objectionable about the series. Casting-wise, it's probably one of the most diverse movie franchises out there.

Song of the South is being replaced you absolute walnut

Roth posted:

:colbert: You are going to the lesser park.

Chainclaw posted:

isn't Chris Pratt at the same level as the Harry Potter lady for just being a piece of poo poo? His brother is a giant piece of poo poo, and Chris supports him https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/02/08/chris-pratts-solano-sheriffs-brother-promoted-far-right-imagery-investigation-shows/

I think he just hides it better.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:monocle:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Y'all don't have Indiana Jones Adventure, the best dark ride of all time, so I don't think so.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Roth posted:

Y'all don't have Indiana Jones Adventure, the best dark ride of all time, so I don't think so.

Sorry, we don't. We've got DINOSAUR, which is the exact same ride, but with DINOSAURS instead of farty old harrison ford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Sorry, we don't. We've got DINOSAUR, which is the exact same ride, but with DINOSAURS instead of farty old harrison ford.

Harrison Ford is a dinosaur.