Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

catlord posted:

I've actually managed to miss everything about Knull, and I only know that he's related to the symbiotes. I thought he was going to be a villain in a big crossover, but I feel like I've been hearing him mentioned consistently for years now? Is he the Batman Who Laughs for Marvel right now?

I've seen someone ITT say that Knull was Donny Cates's Mantis, if that helps. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Knull means "gently caress" in swedish as well lol

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

It's a mega long manga series and the next arc has lots of twists in it. The movie ending was obviously trying to make a sequel happen.

coming in to it knowing nothing about the original, i found it really episodic and thought the way the stakes shifted from being a bounty hunter to playing roller derby an odd choice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Desperado Bones posted:

I haven't watched Alita. But it's mainly because it came out during the time a bunch of internet weirdos became obsessed with Brie Larson and Captain Marvel, and decided Alita was prime chud/comicgator entertainment. I know it's not, lol. But drat, I ended up sick of all that mess that I can't bring myself to watch the movie.

I believe eventually CG realized that it was a movie about a woman who refused to let herself be controlled by even well-meaning (white) men and stopped trumpeting it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

JordanKai posted:

He's been the main villain of almost the entirety of Donny Cates' terrible run on Venom. The current crossover event, King in Black, is the culmination of that run.

Did it start with a crossover too, or did they always say it was going to end with a crossover, or am I mixing it up with something? Like I said, I swear I've been hearing about this crossover event featuring him for a very long time now.

amigolupus posted:

I've seen someone ITT say that Knull was Donny Cates's Mantis, if that helps. :v:

I'm not very familiar with comics Mantis, but I'm vaguely aware she was the writer's pet character? From what I've been hearing, my assumption has been to compare Knull to Red Hulk.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Steve Englehart created Mantis when he was writing Avengers and then wrote her or a thinly veiled analog of her into a few other projects across a few companies

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

catlord posted:

Did it start with a crossover too, or did they always say it was going to end with a crossover, or am I mixing it up with something? Like I said, I swear I've been hearing about this crossover event featuring him for a very long time now.

Your probably thinking of Absolute Carnage, which was a crossover event featuring a Knull worshiping Carnage going after everyone who had ever been a symbiot host and infecting a bunch of people with symbiots along the way, which was part of the lead up to King in Black.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If Knull were like his Mantis then he would've have ended King in Black as the King in Black with all the other heroes acknowledging him as the best superhero because they've come around to his thinking. Knull lost and was destroyed. Englehart would never let that happen to Mantis.

His Mantis is actually Eddie Brock.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i still say knull in his thanos and thus will return

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

glitchwraith posted:

Your probably thinking of Absolute Carnage, which was a crossover event featuring a Knull worshiping Carnage going after everyone who had ever been a symbiot host and infecting a bunch of people with symbiots along the way, which was part of the lead up to King in Black.

Ah, ok. That explains it.

Karma Tornado posted:

Steve Englehart created Mantis when he was writing Avengers and then wrote her or a thinly veiled analog of her into a few other projects across a few companies

I thought I'd heard something like that. Weren't some of those thinly veiled analogues in between her actual Marvel appearances, and sorta continued the storyline he had in mind for her?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

catlord posted:

I thought I'd heard something like that. Weren't some of those thinly veiled analogues in between her actual Marvel appearances, and sorta continued the storyline he had in mind for her?

Yeah. Mantis was supposed to be the Celestial Madonna and birth the most important being in the universe. And she did! His name was Sequoia and he barely comes up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Look I’m sure it’s fine that this movie everyone is looking forward to is being moved to the traditional January dumping ground

https://twitter.com/getfandom/status/1388232819432849410?s=21

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Star Trek talk reminds me of a friend who was really into Smallville when it was on, and I told him I didn't like it because the only episode I saw was a dumb one about a vampire that sucks people's fat instead of blood, and he got so mad saying I needed to watch better episodes. Never did, that's still the only one I've seen!

And now that I've Googled the episode, the fat vampire was Amy Adams?!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Look I’m sure it’s fine that this movie everyone is looking forward to is being moved to the traditional January dumping ground

From a quick google search:

quote:

The Morbius film was initially scheduled to release on July 10, 2020, but the COVID-19 pandemic forced the premiere to delay to July 31, 2020, followed by a move to March 19, 2020, and then again to Oct. 8, 2021. Now the new release date for the Sony movie is Jan. 21, 2022.

:lol:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm so sad about this

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Apparently Morbius was intended to be a big part of Blade 2 but that never happened. They originally had a very vague "cameo" of the character as part of the ending in the first movie, which was just the director on a rooftop wearing a coat.

I think I would prefer if they tried that again instead of whatever the gently caress Sony is doing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. Mantis was supposed to be the Celestial Madonna and birth the most important being in the universe. And she did! His name was Sequoia and he barely comes up.

Haha, wow, ok.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Frankly, "haha, wow, ok" would work here too.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Venom is the best superhero movie of 2003

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ah yes, the vaunted “gently caress you, it’s January!” release, where even trash becomes “the best movie of the year” for two weeks.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Madkal posted:

Venom is a perfect background movie where you really don't have to care what is going on. It had a few good scenes and watching Hardy talk to himself/Venom as some kind of odd couple was probably the highlight. Also Venom acknowledging that he is just a loser dealing with toxic masculinity was great.
That was my favourite moment in the film. Way too often Venom the character is 'person wearing a super suit that makes them hangry, and they talk to themselves.' Whatever else was going on in that film, Venom-the-alien was very much a character, and there's something fun about that character being 'tries way too hard to be an edgy badass and is actually a dork.'

Dawgstar posted:

I read a big batch of my uncle's old comic collection when I was younger, and now and then I vaguely wondered what happened to that plot thread*. This satisfies me.

*The thing that REALLY bugged me was what the hell happened to Marina's kids. The ones that hatched out of eggs she laid when she was a six-mile-long sea serpent, whose father may or may not have been Namor, and who immediately booked it into the ocean.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Sanschel posted:

Ah yes, the vaunted “gently caress you, it’s January!” release, where even trash becomes “the best movie of the year” for two weeks.

Hey remember when Marvel dumped Black Panther in February like it wasn't one of their best movies and it over performed anyway?

....I apologize for unintentionally comparing Morpheus with Black Panther.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sequoia was actually just recently a big part of Empyre. Was fun to see him pop back up again in a big role after so long.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i hope sonic 2 will be ready to release by january

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Hey remember when Marvel dumped Black Panther in February like it wasn't one of their best movies and it over performed anyway?
February is Black History Month

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Star Trek talk reminds me of a friend who was really into Smallville when it was on, and I told him I didn't like it because the only episode I saw was a dumb one about a vampire that sucks people's fat instead of blood, and he got so mad saying I needed to watch better episodes. Never did, that's still the only one I've seen!

And now that I've Googled the episode, the fat vampire was Amy Adams?!

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who only remembers that one particular episode. Like I'm sure I've watched at least 10 or more episodes but that's the only one I remember anything about.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I remember the one where the hot lady had pheromone powers that came out of her nose and she banged Clark's dad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Kryptonite NOS racing (leading to the cast losing like the only person of color) was bad. Then the network decided to promote some dumb kryptonite plastic surgery thing as KRYP/TUCK and I noped out of the series. There were kryptonite witches at one point? And Lana becomes the devil? And Chloe recruits all the girls on the cheerleading squad to a weird sex cult?

I think we wrote fake overwrought formulaic scripts for fun in the TVIV thread for it ages ago.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lurdiak posted:

I remember the one where the hot lady had pheromone powers that came out of her nose and she banged Clark's dad.
Remember that, canonically, Smallville Clark needs to get Horny to activate his heat vision

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

My primary memories of Smallville are: a Matrix episode done like 12 years after the Matrix, complete with Chloe doing bullet time; Sam Witwer was Doomsday because he needed to be a kryptonian monster but also a very pretty man for some reason; and Darkseid being a smoke monster made of crows.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

The United States posted:

February is Black History Month

Ok fair point but it doesn't make February a great place to put a summer blockbuster.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

FilthyImp posted:

And Chloe recruits all the girls on the cheerleading squad to a weird sex cult?
No, that happened in real life.

Also I finally saw Mortal Kombat and um... fights were cool, plot was borderline incoherent? Changing poo poo isn't necessarily bad but if you're gonna switch Sub-Zero and Scorpion's entire roles in the narrative, maybe actually change poo poo instead of just reversing who does what to who and what motivations they have therefore. Also my favorite absolute bonkers writing moments were that if Cole has his mark because of the Hasashi bloodline, his daughter has one too (and this would have been so easy to fix, the scene where he shows it to Jax and his daughter's right there, she just goes "we both have one", boom, done), and if Raiden can just send out new marks whenever he wants it totally invalidates Sonya's entire plotline, so wow, cool job there guys.

Also they never explained what the gently caress Outworld was and they somehow had an entire Mortal Kombat without Mortal Kombat in it, that's astounding. Points for Raiden remaining the dumbest, most incompetent god imaginable in any continuity, though.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I only have a C+ handle on Mortal Kombat lore and I've always sucked poo poo at them as far as fighting games go, but the Raiden in this movie seemed so insanely bad at the one job he claims to have that I have to assume it was on purpose? Like, you have lost 9 tourneys in a row, you have THE most important one coming up, you know - AS A MATTER OF HISTORICAL RECORD - that Shang Tsung is a cheating piece of poo poo who kills Earth competitors prior to contests and has been actively doing it again, you can instantly teleport yourself or anyone else you choose to any place whenever you want, and the first thing you do when your fighters randomly wander into the training temple is to yell at them for being weak pussies who are going to lose the tournament because they don't have enough time to train

What were you doing for the last 50 years, Raiden?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

I only have a C+ handle on Mortal Kombat lore and I've always sucked poo poo at them as far as fighting games go, but the Raiden in this movie seemed so insanely bad at the one job he claims to have that I have to assume it was on purpose? Like, you have lost 9 tourneys in a row, you have THE most important one coming up, you know - AS A MATTER OF HISTORICAL RECORD - that Shang Tsung is a cheating piece of poo poo who kills Earth competitors prior to contests and has been actively doing it again, you can instantly teleport yourself or anyone else you choose to any place whenever you want, and the first thing you do when your fighters randomly wander into the training temple is to yell at them for being weak pussies who are going to lose the tournament because they don't have enough time to train

There is a real argument to be made that Christopher Lambert is the most effective Raiden. That is all that needs to be said.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

There is a real argument to be made that Christopher Lambert is the most effective Raiden. That is all that needs to be said.

Christopher Lambert worked because you got the sense that yeah, he wanted to protect Earth and have it win, and he was willing to bend the rules a little to help, but the whole thing was also a game to him and he just liked having people fight to the death, but just wanted his side to do that a little more.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CapnAndy posted:

No, that happened in real life.

The odd cherry on top of Mack being part of that - one assumes for immigration reasons on the part of her spouse - was she married Nicki Clyne who was on the Galactica remake. Kristin Kreuk was also involved in NXIVM but apparently not to any great degree.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Edit: should go in TV thread

Dacap fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 1, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Ok fair point but it doesn't make February a great place to put a summer blockbuster.

They put BP in February because Infinity War was April.

Captain Marvel was also pretty early, March 8th.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Infinity War was in April and Ragnarok was the previous November (or thereabouts). So February was a sensible time for Black Panther even independent of Black History Month.

I suppose they might've been able to release Captain Marvel in late 2018, but that would've been four Marvel films that year, so the March release before Endgame made a lot of sense, and the fact that it was international women's day, well that didn't hurt either.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Why was he even in the movie? He doesn't recruit the team, he doesn't train them for Mortal Kombat, he doesn't have any fights or cool displays of his power. Like you gotta be a huge gently caress up to be the worst version of Raiden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Counterpoint; James Remar's Raiden sacrificed his godhood so he could fight alongside Earthrealm in stopping Shao Khan. And he fought THREE Reptiles.