Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Somfin posted:

Living plants tend to fight back against predators using chemical warfare, like packing their beans with caffeine or their fruits with capsaicin or their sprouting bodies with allicin

Plants are loving wild. It's not their fault humans are crazy and have a high resistance to their poisons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Platystemon posted:

Some vegetables really do work that way. Stinging nettle comes to mind. But forage like that is the exception and most every vegetable at the supermarket is harmless when raw, though perhaps unpalatable.

The unsafe things are usually tubers. Potatoes and sweet potatoes will probably just give you indigestion. Uncooked yams could make you sicker.

Someone in one of the threads I follow posted a thing about how Andean cultures would make a sauce out of clay, presumably to help absorb the toxins in some potato varieties.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In addition to being toxic to bugs and fungus, a lot of these plant chemicals have secondary purposes. Caffeine can be found in the flower nectar of some species (coffee and citrus in particular) and it functions to sharpen pollinator memory so that it doesn't waste too much pollen by revisiting flowers.*

Birds are resistant to the capsaicin in chili peppers. They don't have the required receptors for it to even work. Conveniently, birds also don't chew and destroy seeds and are able to disperse them to great distances.

Plants are crafty fuckers. Turns out if you can't move and can only communicate and best defend yourself by using chemistry, you can evolve some pretty clever tricks! :eng101:

* Edit: also to get them coming back to the same plant day after day to get that sweet caffeine buzz

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Apr 30, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Soylent Pudding posted:

Someone in one of the threads I follow posted a thing about how Andean cultures would make a sauce out of clay, presumably to help absorb the toxins in some potato varieties.

Generally poor strategy to take your health advice from

1. Random internet posts
2. Thousands of year old cultures with massive mortality and disease rates

Like there might be something useful in there somewhere but you need to run it through a hefty dose of modern research to make sure it's in any way beneficial

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Gort posted:

Generally poor strategy to take your health advice from

1. Random internet posts
2. Thousands of year old cultures with massive mortality and disease rates

Like there might be something useful in there somewhere but you need to run it through a hefty dose of modern research to make sure it's in any way beneficial

Kaolinite, a mineral found in many clays, is/was commonly used in many upset stomach/diarrhea preparations, both traditionally, and in modern-ish commercial products like Kaopectate.

But generally yeah, it's best to stick to the stuff that has actually been researched unless you know what the gently caress you're doing.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
This man demonstrates that you don't need an understanding of politics, history, or (in his lifetime) current affairs to sit in the House of Lords

https://twitter.com/danielmgmoylan/status/1388066714714316806

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ReidRansom posted:

Kaolinite, a mineral found in many clays, is/was commonly used in many upset stomach/diarrhea preparations, both traditionally, and in modern-ish commercial products like Kaopectate.

But generally yeah, it's best to stick to the stuff that has actually been researched unless you know what the gently caress you're doing.

Yeah, like this is a great argument to isolate, purify and investigate the potential medical benefits of kaolinite, but you'll see Internet posts that are like, "These guys ate mud a thousand years ago for health, you should too"

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

AFewBricksShy posted:

I get that, and that's what I would try and do here (US). But if both parties have to pay court costs for disputes under $2,200 wouldn't it be cheaper for you just to let me be an rear end in a top hat?

The court cost is about $150 for the loser if you don't bring a lawyer.

Which makes it harder for big corporations to screw with regular people because they have to pay legal representatives to actually go to court while Johnny random shows up with a handful of papers to support his point.

Also the case has to be argued in the court closest to the municipality where the target person lives.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

RatHat posted:

If he's a joke account then he's wasting a lot of food.

It's not much of a waste to take funy twitter pictures of your raw meat before throwing it in a pan and cooking dinner for real.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Katt posted:

The court cost is about $150 for the loser if you don't bring a lawyer.

Which makes it harder for big corporations to screw with regular people because they have to pay legal representatives to actually go to court while Johnny random shows up with a handful of papers to support his point.

Also the case has to be argued in the court closest to the municipality where the target person lives.

Ok that makes sense. I think my issue is in my head, court costs are way higher than reality (I've never had to go to court for anything so far). Thanks!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I don't think anyone is suggestion you go out and immediately eat raw mud and potatoes.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah that was a really odd knee-jerk reaction to that. They were just stating a supposed fact.

The alternative to eating poisonous potatoes in mud soup would be to just cook them more thoroughly or breed less-toxic potatoes. People managed to figure that out eventually.

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Apr 30, 2021

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Manioc/Cassava is one tuber that is very commonly grown in South America, parts of Africa, and South East Asia. It is relatively easy to grow and produces a fair amount of caloric value for a small amount of work, leading it to be a very widely utilized crop. Unfortunately it is pretty lethal if it is not prepared correctly.

Story about multiple deaths caused by improperly prepared Cassava:
https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-03/10/content_423641.htm

Map of Cassava cultivation

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah that was a really odd knee-jerk reaction to that. They were just stating a supposed fact.

The alternative to eating poisonous potatoes in mud soup would be to just cook them more thoroughly or breed less-toxic potatoes. People managed to figure that out eventually.

Alternatively, inject the mud straight into your veins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMjNP7mTmNk

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Sausage the mud.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

In addition to being toxic to bugs and fungus, a lot of these plant chemicals have secondary purposes. Caffeine can be found in the flower nectar of some species (coffee and citrus in particular) and it functions to sharpen pollinator memory so that it doesn't waste too much pollen by revisiting flowers.*

* Edit: also to get them coming back to the same plant day after day to get that sweet caffeine buzz

omg little caffinated-nectar plants that bumblebees can visit when they wake up in the morning, that is so loving adorable

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I seem to remember reading somewhere that some parrot species, I think macaws and african greys regularly eat clay to counteract the toxins in some of the fruits they eat.

Also don't some savannah trees (acacias?) release pheromones when they get nibbled on by giraffes so that other trees of the same species get advance warning and release chemicals that make their leaves bitter before the giraffes get there?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Syd Midnight posted:

omg little caffinated-nectar plants that bumblebees can visit when they wake up in the morning, that is so loving adorable

:coffeepal:

Pookah posted:

Also don't some savannah trees (acacias?) release pheromones when they get nibbled on by giraffes so that other trees of the same species get advance warning and release chemicals that make their leaves bitter before the giraffes get there?

A lot of plants do this sort of chemical communication. Some release wasp attractants when they're predated by caterpillars :black101:

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Apr 30, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pookah posted:

dont doxx me

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Technocrat posted:

This man demonstrates that you don't need an understanding of politics, history, or (in his lifetime) current affairs to sit in the House of Lords

https://twitter.com/danielmgmoylan/status/1388066714714316806

I looked this guy up and the only reason he’s in the House of Lords is because he’s the only person other than the Prime Minister who thinks building an airport on some sandbanks about a mile away from over a thousand tons of WW2 UXO is a good idea.

It’s not even the only infrastructure plan of Boris Johnson’s that involves disturbing WW2 UXO, that’s the crazy thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TinTower posted:

I looked this guy up and the only reason he’s in the House of Lords is because he’s the only person other than the Prime Minister who thinks building an airport on some sandbanks about a mile away from over a thousand tons of WW2 UXO is a good idea.

It’s not even the only infrastructure plan of Boris Johnson’s that involves disturbing WW2 UXO, that’s the crazy thing.

Oh christ I forgot about that plan.

Why does the thames estuary need an airport in the middle of it again? Doesn't london have enough airports?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

OwlFancier posted:

Oh christ I forgot about that plan.

Why does the thames estuary need an airport in the middle of it again? Doesn't london have enough airports?

Heathrow is pretty small despite being Europe's busiest airport. Boris wanted a new airport in the Thames estuary because he realised something that Shaun Bailey hasn't: people in Kent don't vote for Mayor of London, but people living near Heathrow do.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Skwirl posted:

It would be honestly better if we were all obliterated by an asteroid.

https://twitter.com/e_turgeneva/status/1377308563912155140?s=20

update: the artist would like to speak to the manager

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1387892556558585856

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Peach_pooff/status/1388141322289106950

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Juchelia Child is a good name

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Why do brands insist on continuing with the "we were hacked!!!" bullshit that no one in the history of ever has ever believed?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Sounds like something a hacker would post

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
It wasn't me, it was my evil twin.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

jjack229 posted:

It wasn't me, it was my evil twin.

Growing a mustache so I can use this

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

"My cat was walking on my keyboard!!"

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
A wizard did it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TinTower posted:

There’s the airport near the Dick Montgomery, and what’s the other one?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Zuck is trying to cancel Saddest Rhino (。ŏ﹏ŏ)

e: left in personal info brb
e2: fixed

Laopooh has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Apr 30, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

I mean astrology aside this (or something close to) is almost certainly what's going to happen lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Platystemon posted:

There’s the airport near the Dick Montgomery, and what’s the other one?

Bridge to northern ireland running over beaufort's dyke, which is full of a million tonnes of explosives.

E: and apparently about two tonnes of nuclear waste lmao.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I never actually did it, but for a while I thought I should just try living my life completely according to astrology, because even though I think it's bullshit, it's not like my horoscope is gonna make worse decisions than I do on average.

This tweet feels a bit like that to me. Bad poo poo is gonna happen when New York completely re opens and there will probably be another shut down around the 28th.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Astrology, fortune tellers, etc. all exploit confirmation bias by making broad or obvious predictions.

Btw you will all empty your bowels in May, to subscribe palpal me $100 per month

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ratjaculation posted:

Astrology, fortune tellers, etc. all exploit confirmation bias by making broad or obvious predictions.

Btw you will all empty your bowels in May, to subscribe palpal me $100 per month

nope i'm gonna get constipated out of spite no one tells me what to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Bridge to northern ireland running over beaufort's dyke, which is full of a million tonnes of explosives.

E: and apparently about two tonnes of nuclear waste lmao.

Don't forget the literally thousands of tonnes of chemical weapons!