Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

infraboy posted:

Not trying to be Mr Gatekeeper but you should pretty much play all 9 of the previous games if you havent since Hajimari pretty much brings up a lot of story threads from the previous series and pretty assumes you know them.

Hajimari probably wont see a western localization until at least 2022 though so there is plenty of time.

I've played 8 of them and CS3 gave me some serious Erebonia and Rean fatigue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mean I kind of felt that way in CS3 but I came back around with him and Erebonia in general with CS4. I think it helps that's mostly a sendoff game rather than CS3's going through the motions on a lot of plot beats to get to its cliffhanger.

RevolverDivider posted:

I don’t like Ys8 much but Jesus does Ys9 still seem like a massive downgrade
I think massive is an overstatement but overall I don't think there's any one thing about IX that VIII didn't do better.

For a Ys, it's fine. I'd probably put it on the same level as something like Ys Seven and certainly not an actual trainwreck like Ys V.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 30, 2021

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Some Numbers posted:

I've played 8 of them and CS3 gave me some serious Erebonia and Rean fatigue

Cold Steel was done a big disservice by being split up into four games, I can definitely see where you're coming from. By the end of CS4, you'll have played somewhere in the ballpark of 3-400 hours of this story, it's too much.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, I like Rean and Crow just fine, but by CS4 I can't stand those dudes much anymore due to fatigue (and magical mumbo jumbo bullshit).

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Tired out TCS1 from a friends recommendation. This is my first Legend of Heroes game and now I’m hooked on this series, lol.

What impressed me, on top of the great characters and the overall story, was the world building and political situation they had set up.

But dang, that twist at the end of the Old Schoolhouse and the finale. It was something out of Xenogears and Zone of the Enders; fighting on foot to fighting inside a mech. Then the Boss mech flies in to kick your rear end. And I really liked all of Class 7, which hurt then they stayed behind to let Rean escape over his objections. I though the game was subtly pushing Rean and Alissa (then Crow I guess), but I ended up with Laura as the LI and it was a gut punch seeing her on Valimar’s view screen saying goodbye to Rean personally. When the credits rolled I immediately bought the second game and started it because I didn’t want it to end like that, lol.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imagine waiting a year for cs2 to come out after that ending :v:

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
May as well buy the Sky games and TOC3 since they're all on sale right now, disc version of TOCS IV was around 40$ for PS4 recently

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The end of CS1 may have been so over the top with the twist that I may have been laughing the entire time. And then instantly had to go on to CS2.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

Tired out TCS1 from a friends recommendation. This is my first Legend of Heroes game and now I’m hooked on this series, lol.

What impressed me, on top of the great characters and the overall story, was the world building and political situation they had set up.

But dang, that twist at the end of the Old Schoolhouse and the finale. It was something out of Xenogears and Zone of the Enders; fighting on foot to fighting inside a mech. Then the Boss mech flies in to kick your rear end. And I really liked all of Class 7, which hurt then they stayed behind to let Rean escape over his objections. I though the game was subtly pushing Rean and Alissa (then Crow I guess), but I ended up with Laura as the LI and it was a gut punch seeing her on Valimar’s view screen saying goodbye to Rean personally. When the credits rolled I immediately bought the second game and started it because I didn’t want it to end like that, lol.

As mentioned above, I'd definitely recommend looking into the Sky series on Steam (FC, SC, and 3rd) since they're on sale this week. I'd say the worldbuilding and characters are the things I like most about the Trails series, and felt that both of those aspects were better in the Sky series than Cold Steel (though admittedly I haven't played CS3/4 yet). Sky the 3rd and SC are genuinely two of my favourite games ever, so it's always a shame to see people skip them because of their age.

I dunno what platform you're playing Cold Steel on, but I wouldn't worry about PC specs for running the Sky games - they'll run on nearly anything.

smenj fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 30, 2021

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

And if you get through the Sky games, Zero can be played with the Geofront patch (which is really good) and the Azure patch should be out...eventually.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Endorph posted:

imagine waiting a year for cs2 to come out after that ending :v:

That'd have sucked. The intro line to CS2 is one of my favorite moments of the franchise.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Some Numbers posted:

And if you get through the Sky games, Zero can be played with the Geofront patch (which is really good) and the Azure patch should be out...eventually.

Probably in a few months.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Probably in a few months.

https://twitter.com/GeofrontTeam/status/1388576201703403525

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Those barriers don't stand a chance.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

God I hope they didn't pepper the chest messages with police brutality "jokes."

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

King of Solomon posted:

Uh, what?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

:eyepop: I'm so happy to be unemployed!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Did you play Zero?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Yeah they added chest messages to Zero and at least a couple of them were extremely funny "jokes" since haha the SSS are part of the police and uh...yeah.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Finally getting close to the end of cs4. I'm glad to see that on pc the Elise achievement is the least common out of those.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CS4 trial chests do not have puns, 0/10

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Artix posted:

Yeah they added chest messages to Zero and at least a couple of them were extremely funny "jokes" since haha the SSS are part of the police and uh...yeah.
There was a literal 'I can't breathe' joke. It was godawful.

Frankly the Sky 1 chest messages might have been the worst choice any localization has ever made. It was funny and a good use of the weird coding in Sky 1 but now its led people to not just expect but demand something that was never intended by the original developers, is a pain in the rear end to implement, and has a ton of potential to be lame and unfunny.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The final dungeon in Sky 3rd was really emotional and good specifically because of the chests.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
The lead editor mentioned that the brutality jokes are honestly miserable to read in hindsight so I would anticipate not seeing those among the chest messages

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Considering they are also going back to rework Zero I wouldn't be surprised if they got the axe anyway.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Thinking back to my TCS1 playthrough: since there wasn't any lyrics or singing for the first two songs of Class 7's Festival Concert, I've headcannoned that Machias and Jusis sang a duel version of Judgement from Yakuza Zero, and Emma performed the game's ending song.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

The final dungeon in Sky 3rd was really emotional and good specifically because of the chests.
i agree but im really tired of seeing fan tls try to add them in or people asking for them to be in cs4 or hajimari or whatever. just let it go.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why does CS4 have a solid ten hours of nothing in between meeting Ash and meeting Musse

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Slow going in TCS2, I arrived at Lunaria Nature Park, but already Valimar reminds me a lot of BT from Titanfall 2. Like him already. And I hear his VA is also Legion from Mass Effect? Even better; I also really liked Legion

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

SgtSteel91 posted:

Slow going in TCS2, I arrived at Lunaria Nature Park, but already Valimar reminds me a lot of BT from Titanfall 2. Like him already. And I hear his VA is also Legion from Mass Effect? Even better; I also really liked Legion

No idea, but his American VA is also Rufus, whom you already know, and once you hear it, you cannot unhear it. George and Olivier/t share a VA which comes across sometimes. Lots of people share a single line here or there with a single NPC, and it's noticeable.

And then Fie and Princess Alfin share a VA, and I cannot tell. At all. Alfin's voice sounds a bit like a "voice" and not a person, but then again, Alfin also seems like a person who would affect a "voice" so it doesn't take me out of it.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Vita and Ennea of the Stahlritter share the same VA, Erica Lindbeck, I really started noticing and recognizing her voice after FF7 remake as Jessie.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Veryslightlymad posted:

And then Fie and Princess Alfin share a VA, and I cannot tell. At all. Alfin's voice sounds a bit like a "voice" and not a person, but then again, Alfin also seems like a person who would affect a "voice" so it doesn't take me out of it.

Fie and Alfin have very different pitches and affects, but there are times when her intonation or pronunciation will give you clues.

But she's really good. I probably wouldn't be able to tell if I didn't know.

Rufus and Valimar on the other hand are super obvious. Valimar is literally Rufus put through some treatment.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

infraboy posted:

Vita and Ennea of the Stahlritter share the same VA, Erica Lindbeck, I really started noticing and recognizing her voice after FF7 remake as Jessie.

If you played any decently talked about game in the past decade, she has voiced most or all of them. Futaba, Miriam from Bloodstained, Cassie Cage, Magilou from Berseria, etc.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

D.C. Douglas (Valimar/Rufus) is one of those voice actors that once you start recognising you will not stop recognising. he's in a lot of stuff and he's pretty often typecast into one of exactly these two roles he's got in this series too lol

E: also you might know him as wesker from RE

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 2, 2021

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

King of Solomon posted:

They specifically said they wouldnt do that again.

Terper posted:

I legit started crying. I actually got people to start the series posting those.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Olivert and CS1-2 Cedric are both voiced by Matt Mercer which I didn't realize until this year, so good job Matt Mercer.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Amppelix posted:

D.C. Douglas (Valimar/Rufus) is one of those voice actors that once you start recognising you will not stop recognising. he's in a lot of stuff and he's pretty often typecast into one of exactly these two roles he's got in this series too lol

My methods are.............. Complex

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Amppelix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwpFaQ9Un9g

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

wow that's literally his youtube channel

well it appears he's rightly proud of that performance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R-w8T0isVM&t=400s

:shepface: