Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

you're forgetting the other 80% of the posts: tori working himself into a terrified lather about republicans coming to kill him and talking about his wide variety of guns a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I own more guns than Tori does. volume != amplitude

mystes
May 31, 2006

power botton posted:

you're forgetting the other 80% of the posts: tori working himself into a terrified lather about republicans coming to kill him and talking about his wide variety of guns a lot
Hey, he can afford them.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

power botton posted:

one day when the republicans really do kill tori he’ll get the last laugh

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

one day when the republicans really do kill tori he’ll get the last laugh
After he shows them his guns and gives them a lecture on fiscal responsibility, they'll recognize him as one of their own.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sometimes i get nostalgic for the guns of my youth.

also i guess ive been a gun owner for something like 30 years now. that's kinda insane. my pops got me started young

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Achmed Jones posted:

also i guess ive been a gun owner for something like 30 years now. that's kinda insane. my pops got me started young

same all around. target shooting in the back yard sure was fun. that’s a no go nowadays though. oh well.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Achmed Jones posted:

My brother and I have basically a small armory apiece because most of my family going generations back were farmers/hunters/military and passed all their guns down. I haven't bought a single gun in my life.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
poppin cans is good fun.

Last time I went to a range i went to my coworker's favorite range, which was infested with wannabe cops and dudes doing "tactical shooting drills" which involved them quickdrawing and dumping fifteen rounds as fast as they could at a man-sized target while they were wearing body armor and those yellow "gunner" glasses.

I cleaned my guns, put all but one in the closet and haven't thought about going back. They're really good at weeding out the hobbyists from the rahowa true believers with lowkey poo poo like that. That was the first range that I'd ever visited that allowed rapid fire. Of course you pay the range an extra $50/hour for a 'tactical lane' for that, too. Racism, violence and grift from stem to stern. (and yes i know that's the gun industry in general, save your pithy one liner)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

mediaphage posted:

new achievement unlocked: proselytizing in the age of covid

when i lived in a lovely student flat the entryphone thing rang at like 11am and it was the jehovahs witnesses asking if I "had time to discuss the good news of jesus our Lord and saviour" and i said "can he help me with this hangover? No? OK bye" and that was that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If he can turn water into wine you'd think he'd be good with hangover cures too.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mystes posted:

People just get overly excited when a new variant drops.

People get way too worked up about variants while the single biggest factor in viral spread is human behavior. It's too easy to blame some variant while you're in the middle of OPENERUP

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

mystes posted:

Hey, he can afford them.

have you seen his latest W2s? And the cost of living spreadsheet? its nuts.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

mystes posted:

If he can turn water into wine you'd think he'd be good with hangover cures too.

"just pretend to be dead for 3 days no biggy"

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jonny 290 posted:

poppin cans is good fun.

Last time I went to a range i went to my coworker's favorite range, which was infested with wannabe cops and dudes doing "tactical shooting drills" which involved them quickdrawing and dumping fifteen rounds as fast as they could at a man-sized target while they were wearing body armor and those yellow "gunner" glasses.

I cleaned my guns, put all but one in the closet and haven't thought about going back. They're really good at weeding out the hobbyists from the rahowa true believers with lowkey poo poo like that. That was the first range that I'd ever visited that allowed rapid fire. Of course you pay the range an extra $50/hour for a 'tactical lane' for that, too. Racism, violence and grift from stem to stern. (and yes i know that's the gun industry in general, save your pithy one liner)

i thought the main benefit of living in the west is driving a lil bit to some random bureau land and letting some fly

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PCjr sidecar posted:

i thought the main benefit of living in the west is driving a lil bit to some random bureau land and letting some fly

yeah and if you drive out to BLM land you get to stop to get gas in a covid superspreader gas station.

I've put about 800 miles on my truck in the past year and a half.

"just go out to a desert loc where if somebody else is also shooting and drops a ricochet slug in your hip and you bleed out" is a necessary, but not sufficient, answer to the problem you posit

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i dont think ive ever been to an indoor range, or one that had someone whose job it was to be safety officer or w/e (except at cub scout camp i guess, that had a safety officer). it was always a big field owned by a farmer that a bunch of people paid the farmer who owns it to leave alone. if you're really lucky, the people who make up the range club might actually own the land outright, but generally not. then they set up berms and stuff, and for your yearly membership fee you get the code to the padlock on the gate. i think the one we used to go to had HPR matches and stuff, but we never went to them

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Jonny 290 posted:

poppin cans is good fun.

visit the Scottsdale Gun Club. it’s this, but indoors, and nothing but boomer snowbirds.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
big ups for the "just go to a different range" answer though, that's sick as hell

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I got like a half dozen relatives with lots of open property in the middle of nowhere and their own ranges with proper backstops. I don't feel like cleaning any of the firearms though :effort:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

fond memories of shooting 22lr as fast as i could re-sight and pull the trigger

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Fabricated posted:

I got like a half dozen relatives with lots of open property in the middle of nowhere and their own ranges with proper backstops. I don't feel like cleaning any of the firearms though :effort:

lol yeah, i barely even remember how to do it these days

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Love cleaning a gun. The reason Hoppe's smells so weird is because they use banana oil in it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Here in the netherlands the gun clubs want absolutely unequivocally nothing to do with any "gun enthusiast" yahoos. They stress that shooting is about the sport, and that guns are nothing more than a tool that you use in practicing that sport.

Now that's not to say that you are not allowed to appreciate the technical or aesthetical aspects of gun ownership but it sure as poo poo keeps the weekend warrior idiots away.

They end up paying airsoft instead.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

Love cleaning a gun. The reason Hoppe's smells so weird is because they use banana oil in it.

Ballistol always makes me cough.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jonny 290 posted:

bees like that stuff. its a pheromone for them and some ants

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the guns i mean, not the banana oil

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I sometimes get a Demolition Ranch video in my youtube feed and my god is that guy annoying.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm a lot less comfortable with my babby arsenal than i was like six months ago.

That being said, my stance that as soon as they ban assault weapons and semiauto pistols from private ownership that I'll post a nice 4k well-lit youtube where I melt mine down stands.

They're neat toys and may come in handy but if they ever do I'm facing a huge trial and a bunch of people angry that I shot a boy in blue, but I'd much rather live in magical nz fairy land or we-have-healthcare europe and not have access to my overcomplicated things that go bang. I've never forgotten that these little steel gadgets scattered around my home can end existences.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i grew up surrounded by and shooting elephant guns - my dad was never into the black plastic stuff. then i got a colt ar15 in high school, and my pops got me an h&k usp compact, and they were both really good and got him into the black plastic guns. that was his _thing_ for years and years. he still builds ARs and stuff, but got back into reloading so he helps the turbo boutique people to make ARs in weird calibers, wildcat their own calibers, and so on

he was super into reloading during my formative years, 'cause the big bore stuff is super expensive to shoot. well, it's super expensive if you're reloading, and absolutely insane if you're buying off the shelf. i can't imagine how crazy that poo poo is now, 20+ years later now that gUn CuLtUrE has convinced most gun owners that they need to hoard ammunition and buy out wal-mart every saturday

or at least he did that a few years ago, idk if he's still up to it tbh

these days id generally rather shoot a 92fs than an hk. single stack 4 lyfe

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the two greatest long guns ever made are the marlin .45-70 lever action (guide gun is acceptable) and the ruger no. 1 in .375 H&H. there will be no further discussion on this point.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a round of .223 is 75 cents now. Throw three quarters in the trash. Do it again. And again. Now do that 28 more times. Congrats, you just dumped a mag.

Average range day for me costs between $80 and $150 depending on what i'm shooting. It's absolutely a petit bourgeois 'hobby'

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

drat i guess the days of shooting milsurp poo poo for cheap as hell are gone :(

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Guns are way overrated. This whole deal about overthrowing a tyrannical government is entirely ridiculous and so is using them for self defense tbh. You're more likely to shoot yourself or a family member during your whole tenure of gun ownership than you are to suffer a home invasion.

Otoh it's absolutely fine imo to be "into" guns and to appreciate them for what they are, interesting mechanical devices that you play around with as a hobby. Just don't try to justify it with some home invasion murder fantasy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

a round of .223 is 75 cents now. Throw three quarters in the trash. Do it again. And again. Now do that 28 more times. Congrats, you just dumped a mag.

Average range day for me costs between $80 and $150 depending on what i'm shooting. It's absolutely a petit bourgeois 'hobby'

I remember seeing .308 being priced like that and thinking it was a lot.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

spankmeister posted:

Guns are way overrated. This whole deal about overthrowing a tyrannical government is entirely ridiculous and so is using them for self defense tbh. You're more likely to shoot yourself or a family member during your whole tenure of gun ownership than you are to suffer a home invasion.

take it up with my buddy Karl here

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

spankmeister posted:

Otoh it's absolutely fine imo to be "into" guns and to appreciate them for what they are, interesting mechanical devices that you play around with as a hobby. Just don't try to justify it with some home invasion murder fantasy.
I particularly hate anyone who has some tacticool'd out AR for "home defense".

yeah, the best gun for home defense is definitely the one which will shoot through through your entire house

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 4, 2021

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

A friend recently found someone poking around in her garage and instantly wanted a gun. I took her out to shoot some guns and after she shot the 12ga a few times I asked her if she was prepared to use it at 330am while half asleep and she said she'd just stick with pepper spray and 911, which i found eminently reasonable.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also this is why you don't shoot goofy rounds you don't really know the origin of, or shoot insanely hot rounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1449kJKxlMQ

Actual TW: terrifying injuries from some hayseed having his 50-cal blow up because he fired a ridiculously hot round. The guy lived though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

alternatively, the gun is on fire while you're shooting it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io7Zztghdno