Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Halman posted:

Had a quick look through the last couple pages but didn't see anything, just picked this up but was wondering if there are any mods I should be looking at

Here's the ones I like.

Convenience mods:
Instant Monster Loot Drop - Removes the delay between a mob dying and loot dropping.
Better UI - Does a lot of nice things.
Craft Build Smelt Cook Fuel Pull From Containers - Pulls materials from nearby chests to do all the things listed.
Slope Combat FIX - Fixes not being able to attack up or down sloped terrain.
Quick Stack - Pressing a hotkey will automatically deposit stuff in your inventory into nearby chests that already contain the item being deposited. Allows you to protect inventory slots from being auto-deposited.
Show Container Contents - Shows the contents of a chest in a tooltip on mouseover.
Hold Attack - Hold down the mouse button to keep attacking. Very handy for mining especially.
BetterPickupNotifications - Better display of the items you just looted so it doesn't skip anything when picking up a lot of items.
Clock - A display for the in-game time. Best to config it for its fuzzy display of "Evening", "Morning", etc.

Slightly Cheaty:
Snap Points Made Easy - When going to place a build piece pressing a hotkey will turn on snapping for that piece even if it's not lined up. Then you can press 2 other hotkeys to cycle through the snap points on the piece being placed and the target piece. Does let you do some snapping that's not possible without it.
Terrain Tools - Lets you delete nearby terrain modifications with a console command. Handy for fixing mistakes.
AnyPortal - Separates a portal's tag and its destination so any portal can be connected to any other portal. Destination portal tags are in a simple dropdown menu in the window where you set the portal's tag. Removes the need for a monstrous portal hub or keeping a list of portal tags to type in whenever you want to go anywhere.
Mass Farming - Plant or harvest a square of perfectly spaced crops instead of one crop at a time.
Farm Grid - Draws a grid in the world and snaps to it when planting to perfectly space crops.
CropReplant - Automatically replant crops you harvest.

Very Cheaty But So Handy:
AutoMapPins With Configuration - Automatically adds map pins to your minimap and world map showing the location of crypts, berries, ore veins, etc. within a set radius. Pins are removed automatically when moving out of range unless you set them to save.
Bigger Minimap Explore Radius - Large increase to exploration radius when sailing and smaller one when running around. Makes mapping coasts much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
I would highly suggest getting an HD texture pack mod. Prettier games are better games. This one is the best I've tried but I've only done a couple. https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/1030?tab=description

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Awesome, thanks everyone

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Are there any content mods that add Stuff To Do TM in the game world?

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Loiku posted:

I would highly suggest getting an HD texture pack mod. Prettier games are better games. This one is the best I've tried but I've only done a couple. https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/1030?tab=description

I used to use HD Valheim until I had a base giving me framerate issues and I removed it to get ~15 fps back. This mod looks even better. Does it have much of an fps impact or is your rig too beefy to tell?

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Lozareth posted:

I used to use HD Valheim until I had a base giving me framerate issues and I removed it to get ~15 fps back. This mod looks even better. Does it have much of an fps impact or is your rig too beefy to tell?

My base isn't very big yet (2 levels with a 20x20 base using 4x4 foundations) and I have an RTX 3080 (so fairly beefy) but I didn't notice any change in FPS (still hovering between 100-110fps @ 1440p). I did try the HD Valheim pack that's the first one when you google for HD Valheim Pack and that dropped my FPS by 20 to 80-90 and it didn't look as good as the Willybach one I linked.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Running down deer is super easy once you beat Eikther, I run them down and dropkick them to death all the time. Even easier with a knife.

Although I mostly just casually toss a spear at them whenever its convenient now instead of actively hunting them at all, and I'm awash with deer products as a result.

I hate the bow and do not plan on ever using it again for anything if I can help it.

causticBeet posted:

Are there any content mods that add Stuff To Do TM in the game world?

There's OdinFlight that adds some late game equipment and a whole new exploration mechanic with its flight system.

There's also a few mods that add in new enemies with new abilities (mostly variants of existing enemies, but still) including new bosses, or add stages to existing bosses to make them harder as they get lower on health.

Finally, there's the magic mod that adds a spell system.

That's all I can really think of for content mods.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 30, 2021

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So my wife and I play together. How do we get mods going?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Untrustable posted:

Most mods are client side so you just need to install them on your own machines.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Untrustable posted:

Drag and drop the bepinex stuff from nexus mods into the valheim folder, and then drag and drop manually downloaded mods into the plugin folder inside the bepinex folder.

Surprisingly super simple.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Most mods are client side so you just need to install them on your own machines.

Ok cool. That's what I was curious about. So we just have to install the same mods on our computers.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Untrustable posted:

Ok cool. That's what I was curious about. So we just have to install the same mods on our computers.

You don't even need the same mods, even if you are using different sets of mods you can still play together.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I just carted back a few stacks of silver. What's the best way to get my bang for the buck in terms of silver? I see that the armor is frost resistant. Does that mean I won't need frost resist potions anymore?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bioshuffle posted:

I just carted back a few stacks of silver. What's the best way to get my bang for the buck in terms of silver? I see that the armor is frost resistant. Does that mean I won't need frost resist potions anymore?

As long as you're not wet you won't need the potions.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bioshuffle posted:

Personally I think Draugr Fang is the highest priority, because the extra poison damage is very nice.

The Wolf Chest Amour similarly for the Frost resist, but you can get that a bunch of other ways.

Frostner is the other major consideration if you have the other materials for it.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Bioshuffle posted:

Wolf Cape, Frostner, Dragur Fang Bow, and Silver Buckler.

The cape will provide you with frost resist, which I believe is a Boolean on or off - no point in stacking pieces. Should still be the first thing you spend silver on since it’s just so much easier than making frost potions, Silver Buckler is pretty cheap and shields are useful and generally one of the more important upgrades for a tier since parries are so OP. Dragur Fang is the bis bow and looks cool as hell, and the Frostner is similarly a super useful weapon.

After that just fill out armor pieces based on what will be the biggest upgrade for the least silver spent. Without checking the values I want to say the drake helmet is a really good value.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 1, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bioshuffle posted:

You only need the cape for frost resistance, which is just wolf pelts. You can also use a Lox cape if you happen to have poached some of those randomly.

The armor is good (and the helmet looks pretty cool), if you don't have iron armor you should make it. If you do, skip it and just go for a shield and weapon of choice. Frostner is fun and you should try it, but a regular iron sword is just as effective. Draugr Fang is the top end bow so that's a good investment.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The wolf cape also comes with a new friend on your shoulder to talk to.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

After 225 hours in vanilla, today I installed mods. Mods loving rock. I can plant berry bushes and get tiered MMO-style loot among other things. It's just awesome. Adds a whole new set of stuff to do. The enchanting table is super nice.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I've recently done the same and it's great.

Nothing like finding a bronze round shield in a crypt, and a magic one at that.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

It cuts out a lot of the grind because you'll find cool magic poo poo. I have a throwable bronze sword and it's the dumbest thing.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I sure hope the next major update will add more building options. Just a few more wood structures, especially angled ones, would add a lot of possibilities.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Bonemass was pretty overhyped in terms of difficulty and I can't imagine building a tower and a billion arrows to avoid fighting it. Gearwise i ended up having all iron armor and an iron mace, no upgrades on any of them, and a bronze buckler, likewise. I ended up using one medium healing mead but probably didn't need it, and one poison resist mead. All told iron-wise that was 80 iron, plus another 20 for the pickaxe. Food was turnip stew, sausages, and cooked fish, so nothing too extravagant there either.

While there is clearly a lot more iron stuff to make, if you want to move quickly through tiers it isn't THAT much of a problem to get that iron, once you actually find some goddamn swamps with some crypts. That was roughly two good crypts (so, 4 total for me) worth.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
if anyone is bored or doing multiplayer, the goon server made a fresh seed today with new chars just to gently caress around while waiting on hearth and home

join the discord here if you're interested
https://discord.gg/K5vNmBQnWa

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm convinced that anyone that has issues with Bonemass has little or no experience with any sort of RPG.

Even if we're scraping at the bottom of a barrel and going with Skyrim, a big part of the gameplay loop is unlocking new tiers of weapons and armor and actually using them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eh, they are nice to have but I haven't played many RPGs where the solution to something being difficult is to just grind out better equipment, that's a pretty old idea, generally more modern games attempt to make the process of finding things appealing enough that you do it anyway or otherwise pace the content to your level, in fact that's literally a thing for skyrim because the world is dynamically leveled.

The approach of "this enemy is too hard so go and do something repetitive for a while until you have done it enough at which point it will be easier" is something I think I last experienced playing Secret of Mana.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Needing to grind out better gear to do harder content is a pretty standard thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Acquiring better fighting capabilites over the course of a game is, yes, but I haven't played any RPG since I was a child where I would describe the process as "grinding" in the sense that I have to go and do something I would not ordinarily do because the progression of difficulty and the progression of improvement do not line up. For the most part games have gotten much better at making the two occur together naturally.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
per request for mods on the server, i'm looking to install bepinex and valheim+ on this google cloud console

has anyone done this in linux? I grabbed the unix zip and extracted it, and edited the run_bepinex.sh scrip which wants you to point it at the executable. pointing it at vhserver doesn't work, since that's a bash script

i tried pointing it at serverfiles/valheim_server.x86_64 ,

and got
Unhandled Exception:
System.MissingMethodException: void System.IO.File.WriteAllText(string,string)
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.MissingMethodException: void System.IO.File.WriteAllText(string,string)

anyone seen this?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Acquiring better fighting capabilites over the course of a game is, yes, but I haven't played any RPG since I was a child where I would describe the process as "grinding" in the sense that I have to go and do something I would not ordinarily do because the progression of difficulty and the progression of improvement do not line up. For the most part games have gotten much better at making the two occur together naturally.

So you should be able to complete the whole game with leather armor and flint weapons? (hyperbole, but you get what I'm saying)

Many games have a component where you need to farm something to progress, this isn't something that's new or unique. It sounds like you're not a fan of those games, which is okay. But many people like those styles of games.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Requiring long stretches of repetitive grinding to unlock further process is perfectly fine, if you’re aiming to develop the hottest new release of 2003. These days it’s just lovely game design.

I don’t think Valheim is particularly bad in that regard, AFAIK there’s no need to kill greylings for hour upon hour until you get that rare 0.3% drop or level your skill to a particular level.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Comrade Koba posted:

Requiring long stretches of repetitive grinding to unlock further process is perfectly fine, if you’re aiming to develop the hottest new release of 2003. These days it’s just lovely game design.

I don’t think Valheim is particularly bad in that regard, AFAIK there’s no need to kill greylings for hour upon hour until you get that rare 0.3% drop or level your skill to a particular level.

Crafting bronze alone is a severe grind, followed by the sewer cleaning job you have to do for Iron.

It's like the Norse version of Dirty Jobs, Odin just having you clean his lands of guck and rock.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ravenfood posted:

Bonemass was pretty overhyped in terms of difficulty and I can't imagine building a tower and a billion arrows to avoid fighting it. Gearwise i ended up having all iron armor and an iron mace, no upgrades on any of them, and a bronze buckler, likewise. I ended up using one medium healing mead but probably didn't need it, and one poison resist mead. All told iron-wise that was 80 iron, plus another 20 for the pickaxe. Food was turnip stew, sausages, and cooked fish, so nothing too extravagant there either.

While there is clearly a lot more iron stuff to make, if you want to move quickly through tiers it isn't THAT much of a problem to get that iron, once you actually find some goddamn swamps with some crypts. That was roughly two good crypts (so, 4 total for me) worth.

I think one of the biggest issues people have with Bonemass is whether you make iron armor. It loving sucks that it comes with a -10% movement speed penalty for some reason, so I avoided it for as long as possible, and I imagine others did too. But Bonemass is really the beginning of armor being actually very useful.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Are carts and roads worth the effort?

I'm still at the point in the game where I'm mining copper. I've taken to building little shelters near wherever I'm mining so that I can repair my antler pickaxe. Even with two pickaxes, I have to run back to repair before I am full of copper. Then I just take trips every now and then running the copper back to the main base.

I feel like flattening everything for the cart and pulling the cart would be less efficient? Especially because the black forest has so many hills.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Depends on the amount you need. We’ve done it but it was building a large base for 4-6 people. With iron you can use a longship for the same thing which I found a lot easier.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This is just the two worlds I’ve seen so I don’t know if it’s generally possible but I feel it was far faster and/or less stressful to mine enough copper/tin to build a karve and then find the copper close enough to shore to just run back and forth between it and the boat. Yes there’s only 4 storage spots in a karve but there also aren’t any hills, trolls, and grey dwarves on the water. And tin is on the water anyways when you’re needing more of that.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Yes there’s only 4 storage spots in a karve but there also aren’t any hills, trolls, and grey dwarves on the water

Trolls who wander near the coastline will definitely wade into the water to gently caress your boat up.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Floppychop posted:

I'm convinced that anyone that has issues with Bonemass has little or no experience with any sort of RPG.

Even if we're scraping at the bottom of a barrel and going with Skyrim, a big part of the gameplay loop is unlocking new tiers of weapons and armor and actually using them.

I don't think anyone struggled, its just arrowing trolls and fire arrowing The Elder programmed their minds to think they gotta go into wussy-wuss mode everytime they fight something bigger than a greydwarf. Also if doing it in multiplayer, some deadweight players can make it drag on a tiny bit. Like I did it with 5 guys and 3 of them were too scared to get close and only shot arrows so it dragged on a bit.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Are carts and roads worth the effort?

I'm still at the point in the game where I'm mining copper. I've taken to building little shelters near wherever I'm mining so that I can repair my antler pickaxe. Even with two pickaxes, I have to run back to repair before I am full of copper. Then I just take trips every now and then running the copper back to the main base.

I feel like flattening everything for the cart and pulling the cart would be less efficient? Especially because the black forest has so many hills.

Maybe I used it wrong but I hate the cart with a passion. It get stuck if the ground has a WRINKLE, even paving didn't help. I hope next expansion has a "gently caress realism, this is just to make the video game fun" level of cart upgrade that just has it flying up unsteep terrain.

Blaise330 fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 3, 2021

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The cart is just a giant chest to me. It was functionally our unsorted items chest while we were playing. Actually moving it places always seemed more effort than it was worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Moving the cart of the Final Boss of walking