Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

This LP has been amazing (and I'm sure will continue to be into the postgame). Thank you very much for this, I would never have checked out this game on my own and your additions were very good.

TeeQueue posted:

Still aren't. We'll have to keep the facility sealed up for the time that the light is shining on the City... but I'll leave a note with Malkuth to let them out after. Angela should be able to process their paychecks.

Oh yeah… what about them?

What about them? Once they're done, their mission is over. They'll probably all shut down once their work is done. Machines aren't people, no matter what they seem like.

...ah. Yeah, guess that's true.

Well that's rather rude, after all they've done for you. Also very A - "What should we do about this? Oh, it's fine, it'll probably resolve itself with no problems".

Oh, and I'm kind of confused by Schadenfreude. I understand the concept outside of LobCorp, but what does it have to do with surveillance?

Qrr fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

braybray
Feb 28, 2021

Qrr posted:

Oh, and I'm kind of confused by Schadenfreude. I understand the concept outside of LobCorp, but what does it have to do with surveillance?

It specifically involves a voyeurs' pleasure in watching others fail. It's not the Abnormality that experiences the pleasure; it's you, if I understand it correctly.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
Thanks for the lp, TeeQueue. Echoing the general happiness with the ending. You may think you've just gotten lucky, but even if that's the case, this has still been the best LP I've read in a long, long while. I... can't actually think of one I liked more off the top of my head, actually.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

braybray posted:

It specifically involves a voyeurs' pleasure in watching others fail. It's not the Abnormality that experiences the pleasure; it's you, if I understand it correctly.

Or to put it another way, it's only dangerous when observed and is otherwise easy-peasy if you ignore it. Therefore, if you're staring at it, you must really enjoy watching people suffer.

Blenderkitty
May 6, 2004

dog dog dog dog dog dog dog
Biscuit Hider
I'm curious about LoR, but scared to look up anything about it for fear of spoilers. Those of you who have gone to the great beyond, can you describe it? What sort of gameplay, etc.?

...Is it good?

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Schadenfreude can be a really mean abnormality, because your first instinct is usually to pay close attention to new abnormalities while working them and especially while suppressing them. And also you don't get any research boxes from it if you're looking at it, so you can't figure out where you went wrong that way either. Your only clue is the abnormality selection quote, and that can be easily forgotten. It's kind of like Parasite Tree, where if you haven't found a specific other abnormality before, then you can get really owned by it.

It is a really good abnormality once you figure it out though. The gear is good, the justice training is fantastic, it breaches and is ultra easy to suppress. It can sometimes breach in a situation where looking away from it isn't an option though, so it isn't as ultra safe as something like Laetitia is.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blenderkitty posted:

I'm curious about LoR, but scared to look up anything about it for fear of spoilers. Those of you who have gone to the great beyond, can you describe it? What sort of gameplay, etc.?

...Is it good?

It is extremely different from LobCorp, being a deck builder rather than a management game.

Arcvasti posted:

Schadenfreude can be a really mean abnormality, because your first instinct is usually to pay close attention to new abnormalities while working them and especially while suppressing them. And also you don't get any research boxes from it if you're looking at it, so you can't figure out where you went wrong that way either. Your only clue is the abnormality selection quote, and that can be easily forgotten. It's kind of like Parasite Tree, where if you haven't found a specific other abnormality before, then you can get really owned by it.

It is a really good abnormality once you figure it out though. The gear is good, the justice training is fantastic, it breaches and is ultra easy to suppress. It can sometimes breach in a situation where looking away from it isn't an option though, so it isn't as ultra safe as something like Laetitia is.

Yeah I had Schadenfreude in my facility on day 49 and he gave me a lot of trouble because of where he was positioned relative to where Binah was. Any time he got hit with a meltdown I had to zoom wayyyy over and then just leave it there until the work was done, which made it difficult to pay attention to Binah and dodge any attacks she was getting ready to use. I also had another abno in the facility which we haven't seen in the LP yet but really is not compatible with this.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 30, 2021

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Congratz on the successful LP, TQ, looking forwards to the extra content!

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Blenderkitty posted:

The gameplay loop goes something like this:

1: learn about some cool new people
2: beat them up
2.5: feel bad about it (optional)
3: use their loot to get strong
4: back to step 1

The gameplay is a party-based card game battler with RPG elements. You have your party of dudes, they each draw cards which are different attacks, and then they use those attacks on enemies. The combat feels kind of weirdly Sekiroish in that smashing swords against each other and breaking enemy posture is usually more important then direct health damage.

The exact details of the combat are kind of hard to explain though. Looking forward to TQ going through it, because even though I am basically done the game I'm still not certain how a lot of stuff works.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, something that hasn't come up as much is there are several Abnormalities that basically have flip-flopped quirks.

The main examples that have come up I think are Queen of Hatred vs Clerks Rights Abnormalities, Laetitia vs say Beauty and the Beast, there are tools you want to give back quickly and tools that kill you for giving them back quickly, Abnos that want max stats and onces that will kill a 4+.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tylana posted:

Yeah, something that hasn't come up as much is there are several Abnormalities that basically have flip-flopped quirks.

The main examples that have come up I think are Queen of Hatred vs Clerks Rights Abnormalities, Laetitia vs say Beauty and the Beast, there are tools you want to give back quickly and tools that kill you for giving them back quickly, Abnos that want max stats and onces that will kill a 4+.

I feel like there was probably an intentional effort to do this to ensure, as much as possible, that players couldn't just find the one thing that works on everything and only do that. The game clearly goes out of its way to avoid players getting too comfortable.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcvasti posted:

Ruina is really close to wrapping up it's early access right now, no need to worry on that front. ...Although one of the things that still needs work are better tutorials for the tutorial for the impenetrable combat system, so maybe you should still hold off.

That being said PM seems to have been thrown into panic mode because people that didn't like the ending started sending them death threats, so the 'finish tutorial and stuff' may be delayed.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Arcvasti posted:

Schadenfraude was one of the abnos that made me rewind after getting all of its gear, way back when I was expanding Training. Well, half the reason. The actual reason was that the very next day after picking it I got the Naked Nest, my very first WAW, with neither the gear nor agent stats to make working it safe, and I decided having an abnormality that requires me to look away from it while it's being worked and an abnormality that has a 50-50 chance of murdering the entire department it's in every time it's worked is way too much of a hassle. Also, it training justice was entirely extraneous since I got the Shooty in Info. Having both 1.76MHz and Shooty means you're set for Justice training until the Alephs come into the picture.

TQ's LP didn't really showcase it very well, but one of the more important lessons while playing LC for the first time is that the "rewind to memory repository" button is your great friend, second only to the "restart the day" button.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 30, 2021

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Acerbatus posted:

people that didn't like the ending started sending them death threats
... And that why we can't have nice things. Sure, lets bully small indie developer, who are making games they are passionate about, because you cannot really bully cold heartless corporate publishers making cashgrabs every year without any real changes.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Just caught a small detail
On Day 24, when the cactus was discussed, Angela asked the manager if he thought the cactus would one day bear a flower, even though there was no light to fuel such an event.

The ending image of his desk has a cactus with a flower blooming from it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Thanks to this LP I think about the phrase "hokma balls" a lot.

I assume this is the true meaning of the light of Ayin.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 30, 2021

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I got kicked Ayin mah balls!

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I got kicked Ayin mah balls!

aiya

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ayyin lmao

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
You did a drat fine job TeeQueue, and I'm looking forward to seeing my fave Paul again :dance:

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
I am impressed by how much I enjoyed this LP from beginning to end. You did good, TeeQueue, you did very well. Definitely a favorite. And still more to come!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the really lovely thing about the ending backlash is that PM actually did wind up extending and reworking the ending in another patch afterwards, so the death threats crowd is probably patting themselves on the back for a job well done at this point

but ruina rocks, you should play it

you should be aware that it hard spoils, specifically, the 100% ending or LC in the first like 30 seconds of the game, though

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dunno if PM has anyone that reads english tweets or anything, but the western community was generally supportive at least. The review score drops like 22% on steam if you switch from english to all languages, though. :v:

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Reiterpallasch posted:

the really lovely thing about the ending backlash is that PM actually did wind up extending and reworking the ending in another patch afterwards, so the death threats crowd is probably patting themselves on the back for a job well done at this point

but ruina rocks, you should play it

you should be aware that it hard spoils, specifically, the 100% ending or LC in the first like 30 seconds of the game, though

What the players did was pretty grotesque. Also, yes Ruina is really good if you are the fence about getting it, also it is basically finished even if it is still considered early access.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
The full release is planned for May 2021 so waiting for the full release would be trivial at this point. What you should be waiting for is a sale. Ruina and LC go on sale pretty often, I wouldn't be surprised if the full release brings a sale with it.
Also: get the OST. You will not regret it.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I think it's probably safe to read the Goose fan comic now

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
fantastic work with this. seems like a super cool game that i would be absolute garbage at, so it's cool to see it through the eyes of someone who knows what they were doing. also honored to be an agent for exactly one day and then retire. the dream career, really.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Omniphile posted:

Congratulations for finishing (the main part of) the LP, TeeQueue! It's been quite a ride, and the LP narrative was so strong that seeing any non-Ishmael employees die was a gut punch.

One last pose for the road.

:five: Anime Squad being Anime Squad.

Leylite posted:

At the end of the update, in the Lady Facing The Wall gear section, the Screaming Wedge suit has "Requirements: go here" instead of a stat requirement.

Excellent additional writing to help fill in and contextualize the end of the game. What a fitting capstone.

Ah, that should say "None," I've fixed it. Thanks.

the Orb of Zot posted:

Just caught a small detail
On Day 24, when the cactus was discussed, Angela asked the manager if he thought the cactus would one day bear a flower, even though there was no light to fuel such an event.

The ending image of his desk has a cactus with a flower blooming from it.

I put a lot of effort into finding a free-to-use png of a flowering cactus for exactly that reason. :allears:

X also died as he lived: never cleaning his goddamn monitor.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Congrats on making it through to the end of the main story, TeeQueue! I'm looking forward to the extra content. For a game that could be grindingly depressing at times, it's a truly hopeful ending, and I really like that aspect. It sets LobCorp apart from other media with similar settings -- SCP comes to mind, and that would never let the Foundation actually bring about good, lasting change.

One small typo: "We're weren't the best person." when X is talking to A.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CHiRAL posted:

The full release is planned for May 2021 so waiting for the full release would be trivial at this point. What you should be waiting for is a sale. Ruina and LC go on sale pretty often, I wouldn't be surprised if the full release brings a sale with it.
Also: get the OST. You will not regret it.

Ruina hasn't gone on sale yet, it's price has gone up periodically as it gets more updates though. It'll probably go on sale eventually, though.

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

Solumin posted:

Congrats on making it through to the end of the main story, TeeQueue! I'm looking forward to the extra content. For a game that could be grindingly depressing at times, it's a truly hopeful ending, and I really like that aspect. It sets LobCorp apart from other media with similar settings -- SCP comes to mind, and that would never let the Foundation actually bring about good, lasting change.

To be fair, the Foundation isn’t about making good, lasting change. The lore behind the SCP Foundation reveals it to be actually one of the villains of the setting, interested only in researching said things for how they can benefit the Foundation. Protecting humanity is, really, a secondary concern that just happens to be a side effect of hoarding as many abnos as they can. The only “good guys” in the setting are the GoC and Portland, and the former is more of the “we’re doing the best we can but we still need to perform atrocities now and then, also we hate the Foundation for being evil bastards but we need them because we literally cannot do this ourselves” variety, so. Portland is just Portland, amazing as it is in all the right and wrong ways.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Congrats on making it through the game, this LP (and the game) has been consistently excellent and I'm looking forward to seeing the afterstuff! Also Ruina, deckbuilders are way more my jam than this style of management game so I could see myself following along with that when the time comes.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
For those underwhelmed by the result of this big fancy project being a pillar of light, I think it's worth relating the Kabbalist take on the story of creation. In Lurianic Kabbalah, the process of creation took place through emanations of divine light from God-as-Infinite (Ein Sof) into the primordial "world" of formless chaos. These emanations manifested as ten vessels of divine light, the sefirot. However, the vessels could not contain the light and shattered, scattering sparks of the divine light throughout creation. This shattering and subsequent scattering of light is the Lurianic explanation for the existence of evil: creation itself is broken. But mankind is able to fix creation through the practice of tikkun olam (fixing the world), i.e. prayer/meditation, obeying the commandments, committing good deeds, and so on. Doing tikkun olam frees the divine sparks to return to their source. When all the sparks have been reunited, then the messianic era will begin.

So let's take a look at the story of Lobotomy Corporation with this perspective in mind. Over the course of the game, X/A must fix each Sefira, a process that allows them to come to terms with their past trauma and their current existence. As each Sefira is fixed, the project for saving humanity grows closer to completion. At the very end, X/A must fix himself in order to finish the project. With all of the Sefirot repaired, the corporation turns upside-down, switching from the configuration of the Qliphot--the shells concealing the revelation of the Divine from mankind--to the Tree of Life, the diagram of the aspects of God. Then the project executes with a blast of light. Or to put it another way, in this game, fixing the world is equivalent to transcendental light.

The metaphor isn't perfect by any means--for one thing, literally no one would describe the monstrous works of Lobotomy work as tikkun olam, a phrase synonymous with charity/good deeds in modern Judaism. And that's okay! I don't think Project Moon was trying to do a 1:1 depiction of the Kabbalistic understanding of creation. Rather, they adapted Kabbalah to the story they were trying to tell. And they did a drat good job of it, too, in my opinion.

tl;dr: Ayin just fixed creation and summoned the messiah. :toot: Of course he had to throw down with WhiteNight first, you can't summon the messiah when there's an imposter running around, that's just bad manners.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Solumin posted:

Thanks! Got that fixed.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Congratulations on making it to the end, TQ! I've really enjoyed this LP.

Now that we're safely at the end:

Dareon posted:

Considering those examples aren't loaded with anything more than the equivalent of autonomous nervous function to maintain equilibrium and handle movement-related tasks, we'd have to extrapolate.

Pain is primarily an awareness of bodily damage. Most robots lack touch receptors across their entire bodies sensitive enough to be overloadedcitation needed], so AIs would be trained more like those afflicted with leprosy, making frequent visual inspections of their own bodies. An AI could very well learn on its own that making a loud, repetitive noise draws the attention of a technician faster than the intended procedure for reporting damaged hardware, thus developing a "crying in pain" reaction.

Frustration and anxiety would both be tied to task accomplishment pathways. A delivery bot would be rewarded for finding faster routes and accomplishing its tasks in short periods of time. Even if it weren't provided data from other bots, it might begin analyzing its own performance and realizing that, just based on time-to-target, it does worse sometimes than others, and begin seeking more extreme shortcuts on longer tasks, leading to anxious behavior.

Frustration, now, would be based on being prevented from completing its core tasks. Given that Angela has watched us fail this script for ten thousand years, that is one frustrated AI.
Again, you're conflating the external signs and actions resulting from a drive with the subjective experience of emotion. This makes sense if you take the position that we're all just acting out pre-determined drives and the experience of consciousness is an illusion, but I don't. (And, if that were true, LC's plot would make no sense.)

If someone walks up to me with a joint pointing in a direction it isn't supposed to be, or an object impaled in their body, I react with empathy, because I believe they are experiencing extreme discomfort (or will be once the shock wears off.) If my work truck flashes a message on the dashboard that one of my turn signal bulbs is out, I don't react with empathy, because I know it isn't capable of feeling pain, and only an absolute psycho would want to design a truck that experiences prolonged agony if I decide to wait until Tuesday to take it in to the garage.

This is distinction arises in part because a tool is shaped by its purpose. Humans evolved to be adaptable, general purpose creatures, so we need pain and pleasure to push us towards evolutionarily beneficial behaviors. On the other hand, my truck can't decide to stop being a truck and go live out its dream of being a boat instead. Even a self-driving truck AI in training wouldn't need subjective pain to keep it in check, because successful behaviors can instantly be copied and propogated, and unsuccessful behavior countermanded or deleted. The most advanced self-driving car will never feel angst about its purpose or decide it would rather be something else and wander off in the night, so human or animal conceptions of motivation don't apply.

There is no reason to make Angela experience discomfort at being thwarted in any particular time loop, because this entire elaborate hell we've built was constructed for the purpose of giving Angela and X a nigh-infinite number of attempts to get it right. She cannot give up or leave the building or even stop following the script, so there is no reason to make iterating unpleasant for her. In fact, infinite patience seems far better for such a role.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Acerbatus posted:

Ruina hasn't gone on sale yet, it's price has gone up periodically as it gets more updates though. It'll probably go on sale eventually, though.

As the sole permanent agent in extraction I've had enough of wells, actually :arghfist::smugjones:

The game has been on sale several times before the one price increase that happened pretty recently. It hasn't gone on sale since that though so maybe it will take a bit before the next one. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a discount on full release as PM are pretty generous with them in general

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Mecha_Face posted:

To be fair, the Foundation isn’t about making good, lasting change. The lore behind the SCP Foundation reveals it to be actually one of the villains of the setting, interested only in researching said things for how they can benefit the Foundation. Protecting humanity is, really, a secondary concern that just happens to be a side effect of hoarding as many abnos as they can. The only “good guys” in the setting are the GoC and Portland, and the former is more of the “we’re doing the best we can but we still need to perform atrocities now and then, also we hate the Foundation for being evil bastards but we need them because we literally cannot do this ourselves” variety, so. Portland is just Portland, amazing as it is in all the right and wrong ways.

Right, that's exactly my point: the "main characters," if you will, aren't good. The setting has not much hope at all. So LobCorp is a nice change of pace because it is hopeful.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
That sort of implies it's OK to do atrocities if you're doing them to make the world a better place.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Depends on the story, really. Sometimes SCP Foundation is heroic. Sometimes they're villains. Sometimes they collaborate with charitable organizations. Sometimes they genuinely try to protect civilian populations.

Other times they exploit SCPs to their own gain.

The GOC is reliably the type to take out any SCP and shoot them in the head, even if they are innocent. The GoC is generally not portrayed well.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CHiRAL posted:

As the sole permanent agent in extraction I've had enough of wells, actually :arghfist::smugjones:

The game has been on sale several times before the one price increase that happened pretty recently. It hasn't gone on sale since that though so maybe it will take a bit before the next one. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a discount on full release as PM are pretty generous with them in general

Maybe it's a regional thing, it went from 25 to 28 to 34 here.

You seem to be right though, isthereanydeal had 3 sales listed. Guess i just never got the steam notification for it.

Still, buy it at full price. Support the devs so they can stop using royalty free music in Ruina. :v: