Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Doctor Nutt posted:

Am I doing fishing right? I'm poor so I bought a bunch of lug worms to farm for sardines, assuming that the fishing quest went sardines -> blowfish meaning I would use the sardines as bait for the blowfish. But uh, I used all my sardines and got a few rusty buckets, a tin can, and a lot of aquatic plants. No fish.

Sardines aren't gonna get you any Blowfish, you use Lugworms for those.
Here's the wiki page for fish locations and what bait to use:
https://nier.fandom.com/wiki/Fishing_(NieR)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doctor Nutt posted:

Also this sounds good to me because a lot of these quests are tedious, but is there a point where money is no longer a concern? Because, trying to avoid too many spoilers, I know I need to get all weapons in part 1 before moving on, and beastbain is pretty much unreachable after buying the new weapon that popped up in facade and getting some upgrade mats for my Virtuous Contract.

Most of the quests in Facade give about 10k so you should get enough for the Beastbain pretty quick.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Addendum to the Lighthouse Lady quests in Part 1, I believe after the initial encounter with the woman, the quest chain has to be continued by accepting a quest from Devola? I distinctly remember on this run that I couldn't start the first one that begins at the Post Office until I spoke to her back at the village.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So - did other people lie to (minor side quest spoiler)the old lady? I did. Seemed like it would be dumb to just pointlessly make her sad.

Playing Nier in 4k is kind of making me want to get Automata on the PC. Everything looks so nice, and I imagine I'd probably be able to get Automata to run about as well.

Augus posted:

the process is a lot more annoying on console since you can't change the time as much as you want, you can only mess around with timezones to peek at which flowers will change color. You still need to wait at least a day to actually harvest the seeds.
does watering seeds actually do anything for the purposes of cross-breeding? the impression I got from all the different guides was that mutation is determined the moment you plant the seed.

Watering seems to increase the number of seeds received, but that's all. I only water when I'm trying to get seeds from a plot.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

ChaosArgate posted:

Addendum to the Lighthouse Lady quests in Part 1, I believe after the initial encounter with the woman, the quest chain has to be continued by accepting a quest from Devola? I distinctly remember on this run that I couldn't start the first one that begins at the Post Office until I spoke to her back at the village.
Seafront Postman is a bit of a fucker who won't give you a quest he has until Devola specifically tells you to go do it, AFAIK he's the ONLY questgiver who does this.

Ytlaya posted:

So - did other people lie to (minor side quest spoiler)the old lady? I did. Seemed like it would be dumb to just pointlessly make her sad.
If you tell the truth, she admits that she thought it might've been something like that, but wants you to keep the fact she now knows a secret from the townspeople because they did it to try and make her happy. She dies with a smile on her face. :unsmith:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

Always tell the truth. No one gets to hide from being in the yoko taro verse :colbert:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I did. It's an interesting moral quandary that ultimately has no impact on the game at large. But it seemed exceedingly cruel not to.

The more interesting thing is whether you tell the postman the truth or not.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man body despawn is awfully aggressive for a game with so many quests for rare bare asses.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why do I need to ask Devola to tell me to speak to the postman when the lady has already asked me to speak to him. :colbert:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/inkopolis/status/1386391738697195521

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well just did ending E: enjoyed the down the rabbit hole feeling I was missing after having played the original, not really sure the game needed a 'the gangs all back together' happy(?) ending but I'm okay with it too.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Apparently five years isn't long enough to grow a patch of rice. :v:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Why the gently caress do so many quests require 10 titanium alloys? Why do so many weapons require it?
Is there any easier way or getting them other than running the gauntlet of the Junk Heap over and over again?
At least they made Machine Oil spawn more. I got all I needed during normal play, whereas my last playthrough of the OG version mandated that I grind for literal hours to get the drat oil.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Once you unlock being able to play the old dlc the third area in that drops rare items including tit alloy but not tons so it's just a different variation on grinding.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Beefstew posted:

Why the gently caress do so many quests require 10 titanium alloys? Why do so many weapons require it?
Is there any easier way or getting them other than running the gauntlet of the Junk Heap over and over again?
At least they made Machine Oil spawn more. I got all I needed during normal play, whereas my last playthrough of the OG version mandated that I grind for literal hours to get the drat oil.

I think you can get them behind the third door in the DLC, it might work out to be similar or even slightly slower for titanium specifically but on the other hand you would be getting a lot of other rare materials at the same time

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ending E question: Is it unavoidable, or do you have to make specific choices to get there? How obvious is the cutoff?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's unavoidable during a first new playthrough, if you're skipping all cutscenes this time it's very obvious when it happens lol

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cool cool, so things like picking up Weiss immediately vs. waiting don’t matter. Good!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh my god I am feeling extremely well trolled by that Runaway Son sidequest. The conclusion should have been obvious a mile away but I was too distracted by the kid's stupid hat lmao

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Forlorn Necklaces are the worst material to grind in the world

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Protip for grinding Simple/Complex/Elaborate machines - the part 2 sidequest where you have to clear out the Barren Temple again features a really easy to kill Boss Shade which is guaranteed to drop one, alongside 3 normal enemies. If you kill the boss then use magic on the trash mobs, the room'll reset, letting you kill the boss for its drops indefinitely. I think you need about 8 of each total, so you can grind that out in like 20 minutes

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Ending E question: Is it unavoidable, or do you have to make specific choices to get there? How obvious is the cutoff?

It's literally impossible to miss it once you create a new char after ending D. The game literally won't let you skip the inciting cutscene (iirc it says "This memory is not skippable") so mash that motherfucking button until you see someone underwater

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

beep by grandpa posted:

It's literally impossible to miss it once you create a new char after ending D. The game literally won't let you skip the inciting cutscene (iirc it says "This memory is not skippable") so mash that motherfucking button until you see someone underwater

Speeding thru atm cause I cannot fucken waittt

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

did they add anything new to Route C that I shouldn't skip all the cutscenes or is it still just Route B but with a different ending

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Augus posted:

did they add anything new to Route C that I shouldn't skip all the cutscenes or is it still just Route B but with a different ending

There’s some new stuff

Don’t skip anything when you reach the shipwreck segments.

Everything else new is in unskippable dialogues.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

okay cool, thanks

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The latest development release of specialk for Nier today fixed my weird fps problems and now I hit a solid 60 :toot:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I can’t believe I have to ask this. Ending E spoilers: is the game crashing when Emil shows up intentional?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I can’t believe I have to ask this. Ending E spoilers: is the game crashing when Emil shows up intentional?

definitely not. what system are you playing on?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

PS4 :v: maybe it’s finally dying on me.

I’m further in and it’s glorious.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I just started Part 2 of my first run and so far the game felt pretty generic fantasy RPG. I'm patiently waiting for the :yokotaro: to drop.

I don't know if it's good or bad that I played Automata first, since I recognize some places/"people" and wonder if that's going to blunt some of what I expect will be emotional stings later on in this game.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Nothing is tied to difficulty right? Because I forgot how crazy jacked-up enemy HP was on hard.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Pierson posted:

Nothing is tied to difficulty right? Because I forgot how crazy jacked-up enemy HP was on hard.
I remember the original had rumors about how more rare items dropped on hard

no idea if those rumors were true, or if they even apply to the new version.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I don't know if it's good or bad that I played Automata first, since I recognize some places/"people" and wonder if that's going to blunt some of what I expect will be emotional stings later on in this game.

Replicant v1.22... was made with the assumption that most people playing it have played Automata, so it ensures nothing is blunted by that.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 1, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I just started Part 2 of my first run and so far the game felt pretty generic fantasy RPG. I'm patiently waiting for the :yokotaro: to drop.

I just did the first story mission of part 2 and it was definitely more :yokotaro: than anything that came before it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Blaziken386 posted:

I remember the original had rumors about how more rare items dropped on hard

no idea if those rumors were true, or if they even apply to the new version.
I know the item drop-rate is x1.5 on Hard but that is absolutely not worth the crazy jump in HP it uses. Fights against the starting enemies are a straight-up slog.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Not sure I care for this political compass

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ve completely finished Nier Replicant.

For all its faults, and for all the many times it bored and annoyed me, and for all that could be so much better if they just adjusted this and redesigned that...I still loving love this game to death and I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world. Not enough to grind out all the weapon stories or sidequests, I’m not insane, but enough to proclaim it as one of my favorites of all time. This game has always been (pardon the pun) near and dear to my heart, and it’ll stay there forever.

Nier Replicant v1.22 is absolutely the best Nier game of all of them and I’m so goddamn glad they remade it.

Now that it’s finished, I definitely feel empty, especially cause Nier as a whole is effectively over with this remake. It’s a sad, depressing, hosed-up story, but it’s whole and complete. And the older I get, the more I realize just how valuable that is.

:yokotaro:, motherfuckers.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I just met Emil for the first time and dude seems remarkably chill for living in a haunted mansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Doctor Nutt posted:

I just met Emil for the first time and dude seems remarkably chill for living in a haunted mansion.

The Resident Evil mansion, even.