Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Dylan16807 posted:

Carbon credits fail because the systems are set up badly, not because all forms of paying to reduce carbon are doomed to failure.

Is he donating to buy carbon credits? If so that's a pretty flawed setup. But if he would donate to directly bury some charcoal or whatever, then we could measure a real amount of change on the amount of CO2.

And your second point doesn't really work. If a chunk of the money is going to a good cause then "absolutely zero benefit" stops being true. It might not be nearly enough, but we have to actually check the numbers to know.

If someone cuts down 10 acres of rainforest and uses the profits to replant 1 acre of rainforest that's not a benefit, hope this helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Skelley is making a common mistake. The President of the Senate is Kamala Harris, that's Kamala Harris' monster.

Seriously. What is up with that skin colour.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Rowe:

Kudelka:

Tasmania's election is today. Both major parties have done the usual song and dance about how they will govern in a majority or not govern at all.

Leak, Son of Leak:

There are proposed changes to the school curriculum to teach the Indigenous perspective on the British colonisation of Australia which means kicking off some classic culture war stuff; the education minister has already been on Sky News and complaining about dishonouring our "Western heritage".
New curriculum teaches cultural diversity, dumps ‘Christian heritage’ (The Age).
Australia’s school curriculum: what are the proposed changes, and what’s the fuss about ‘invasion’? (Guardian)

Leunig:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

UZworm posted:

If someone cuts down 10 acres of rainforest and uses the profits to replant 1 acre of rainforest that's not a benefit, hope this helps

Sure, but if someone cuts down 10 acres of rainforest to replant 20, it's at least worth weighing the tradeoff. Selling an NFT has a measurable carbon cost, so if you use the money you get from selling it to capture a larger amount of carbon, that is a net benefit.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

SubG posted:

Skelley is making a common mistake. The President of the Senate is Kamala Harris, that's Kamala Harris' monster.

Seriously. What is up with that skin colour.

Someone needs to show him how to use the dropper tool.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kaza42 posted:

so if you use the money you get from selling it to capture a larger amount of carbon
you don't

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Vib Rib posted:

you don't

The average NFT contributes 211 kg of carbon emissions over its lifespan according to this article, which was the only one I could find willing to name an actual amount.

Direct air capture (the least efficient means of carbon capture I found) can cost up to about $345 per ton of carbon. This comes out to $0.345 per kg, or just under $73 to capture the carbon created by selling an NFT.

Unless my numbers are off by a lot, it seems very doable to offset the cost of an NFT by donating to carbon capture. The one from the comic is selling for $240 and donating half. And $120 > $73. So it is sounding an awful lot like you can

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Kellies Nomination: Whiniest Cartoonist

(I know it's not a category, but...)

Also, that Skelley is hilarious. Yes, people did move away from California and New York! ... to Colorado, which is blue, and Texas and Florida, which are trending bluer.

Kaza42 posted:

The average NFT contributes 211 kg of carbon emissions over its lifespan according to this article, which was the only one I could find willing to name an actual amount.

Direct air capture (the least efficient means of carbon capture I found) can cost up to about $345 per ton of carbon. This comes out to $0.345 per kg, or just under $73 to capture the carbon created by selling an NFT.

Unless my numbers are off by a lot, it seems very doable to offset the cost of an NFT by donating to carbon capture. The one from the comic is selling for $240 and donating half. And $120 > $73. So it is sounding an awful lot like you can

A lot of the environmental complaints about NFTs are predicated on them having Bitcoin-level energy expenditures. In truth, most of them are based on Ethereum, which has a much lower carbon footprint - it's still not good, but it's not as hyper-destructive as Bitcoin (the analogy I saw, if I'm remembering correctly, is that an Ethereum transaction is equivalent to traveling 100 miles in an electric vehicle, while a Bitcoin transaction is equivalent to traveling 4000 miles).

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 1, 2021

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Its a dumb waste of resources no matter how you try to sell it

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Moon Slayer posted:

And what do these guys think is going to happen to our grandkids if we continue with deficit spending? That around 2050 the US will have to declare bankruptcy?
China will call in all the debt we owe to them and they will own us forever. This is an accurate and complete explanation of how government debt works.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50HKLZHOQfA

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

A lot of the environmental complaints about NFTs are predicated on them having Bitcoin-level energy expenditures. In truth, most of them are based on Ethereum, which has a much lower carbon footprint - it's still not good, but it's not as hyper-destructive as Bitcoin (the analogy I saw, if I'm remembering correctly, is that an Ethereum transaction is equivalent to traveling 100 miles in an electric vehicle, while a Bitcoin transaction is equivalent to traveling 4000 miles).
This is like saying that a lot of the environmental complaints about people tossing tires onto the Shelbyville tire fire fail to take into account that it's smaller than the Springfield tire fire.

And people have been tossing more tires on the etherium fire precisely because of poo poo like the NFT fad. This time last year etherium network was consuming around 10 TWh/year. Currently it's something like 40 TWh/year. For comparison the bitcoin network is something like 105 TWh/year. So the current etherium mania has pushed its energy consumption from being something a little less than a tenth of bitcoin's to a little more than a third.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

SubG posted:

This is like saying that a lot of the environmental complaints about people tossing tires onto the Shelbyville tire fire fail to take into account that it's smaller than the Springfield tire fire.

And people have been tossing more tires on the etherium fire precisely because of poo poo like the NFT fad. This time last year etherium network was consuming around 10 TWh/year. Currently it's something like 40 TWh/year. For comparison the bitcoin network is something like 105 TWh/year. So the current etherium mania has pushed its energy consumption from being something a little less than a tenth of bitcoin's to a little more than a third.

No, it's like saying that a lot of the environmental complaints about people tossing tires onto the Shelbyville tire fire fail to realize that there are tire fires other than the Springfield tire fire and believe that the people in Shelbyville are tossing tires into the Springfield tire fire.

Like I said, Ethereum is not good. And like I have said many times elsewhere, NFTs are grifts taking advantage of very stupid people with too much money.

I'm glad to have the update on Ethereum's power usage, though.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Who's face is on that money, Ramirez? Other people?

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

I'm exhausted by other people's stupidity and cruelty. What a loving monster.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

War Wizard posted:

I'm exhausted by other people's stupidity and cruelty. What a loving monster.

He's just openly saying "the police needing to make sure that their behavior is legal is a bad thing".

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Moon Slayer posted:

One of these, I'm guessing?

And what do these guys think is going to happen to our grandkids if we continue with deficit spending? That around 2050 the US will have to declare bankruptcy?

Nah, the faces are what reminded me.

They were these small toys, little warrior dudes from a different world, as toys usually are.
Each one came with half of a hollowed out rubber ball, which was the draw.
You'd invert the rubber ball, attach the little dude to a bit inside, then drop it down to make the little guy shoot into the air.

They were all named after american presidents.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

He's just openly saying "the police needing to make sure that their behavior is legal is a bad thing".

How on earth are police supposed to stop crimes if they aren't allowed to freely commit them? :smug:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

No, it's like saying that a lot of the environmental complaints about people tossing tires onto the Shelbyville tire fire fail to realize that there are tire fires other than the Springfield tire fire and believe that the people in Shelbyville are tossing tires into the Springfield tire fire.
Which is to say, it's a nonsensical argument. Because nobody calling burning tires stupid is making a geographic argument. The problem is that burning tires is inherently stupid, and the more tires you burn the worse it gets, whichever tire fire you throw any individual tire into. Ethereum is currently a smaller tire fire than bitcoin. But that doesn't mean that throwing tires on the ethereum fire is "not as hyper-destructive" as tossing tires on the bitcoin fire, because the only reason why the ethereum tire fire is smaller than the bitcoin tire fire is that (currently) fewer tires are being thrown on it.

Ethereum's energy consumption today is more or less what bitcoin's energy consumption was two years ago, and it has more or less doubled this year alone. So unless you're trying to make a very narrow argument predicated on bitcoin just becoming "hyper-destructive" right this minute because it's passed some invisible line that ethereum won't pass for six months or so, then any environmental argument against bitcoin applies more or less equivalently to ethereum.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

SubG posted:

Which is to say, it's a nonsensical argument. Because nobody calling burning tires stupid is making a geographic argument. The problem is that burning tires is inherently stupid, and the more tires you burn the worse it gets, whichever tire fire you throw any individual tire into. Ethereum is currently a smaller tire fire than bitcoin. But that doesn't mean that throwing tires on the ethereum fire is "not as hyper-destructive" as tossing tires on the bitcoin fire, because the only reason why the ethereum tire fire is smaller than the bitcoin tire fire is that (currently) fewer tires are being thrown on it.

Ethereum's energy consumption today is more or less what bitcoin's energy consumption was two years ago, and it has more or less doubled this year alone. So unless you're trying to make a very narrow argument predicated on bitcoin just becoming "hyper-destructive" right this minute because it's passed some invisible line that ethereum won't pass for six months or so, then any environmental argument against bitcoin applies more or less equivalently to ethereum.

Okay. Two things.

First: you appear to not actually be reading past, like, the first sentence of my posts, because if you read any farther than that you wouldn't be able to score your Sick Internet Points.

Second: you appear to be arguing that literally any energy expenditure is exactly as bad as the worst possible energy expenditure, so I applaud you for connecting to the internet by plucking a string attached to a can that feeds into a modem that you power by pedaling a bicycle or something.

You are not making yourself look good here. You look like a loving obnoxious moron. Take a step back and rethink how you're approaching this, and maybe - just maybe - consider reading the posts you're replying to.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

All y'all need to stop with the argument. There's a tech thread you can go to complain about cryptocurrency at each other, I strongly suggest you do so.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

the_steve posted:

All y'all need to stop with the argument. There's a tech thread you can go to complain about cryptocurrency at each other, I strongly suggest you do so.

Absolutely true. It's a dumb argument and I was mad for dumb reasons. Sorry for polluting the thread.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
I mean, "NFTs are bad. Now buy my NFT." is pretty odd, even if the intent was good.

Joe Heller

Kevin Necessary

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Kellies nomination: Worst "A Thing Happened" Cartoon

also, is the switch from Gaybies to Kellies official? because the OP needs an update if that's the case

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

Wow, he sure picked up on this story quickly!

https://twitter.com/NYTMetro/status/1388184898436018191

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Since it was pointed out...

Kellies nomination: worst caricature (Kamala Harris)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Since it was pointed out...

Kellies nomination: worst caricature (Kamala Harris)

You mean to say, she's not an olive cylinder with doopy eyes? Yeah, I concur. Kellies nomination: worst caricature

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I just noticed she's the same colour as the cupboards. Cupboards aren't normally green either but, being made of wood, I bet they're often brown.

Somehow that particular brown ended up a green across the whole panel. :iiam:

E: also the woman has no right arm. That coffee mug, along with some fingertips (:stonk:), is just hovering

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 1, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Moon Slayer posted:

Ok. Just to reverse the usual anti-conservative argument of "what do you think is a good % of income tax and good use of the government income?"...

Is there any sort of downside to US government debt? Is there any amount of debt you believe would be too high?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

For what it's worth, I am also deeply disappointed in myself.

stringless fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 1, 2021

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Raised By Birds posted:

Kevin Necessary

That plumber should stick to plumbing and stop meddling in the affairs of the mushroom kingdom.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Ok. Just to reverse the usual anti-conservative argument of "what do you think is a good % of income tax and good use of the government income?"...

Is there any sort of downside to US government debt? Is there any amount of debt you believe would be too high?

Well if the interest on the debt were higher than GDP that would be too high for sure

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

FFT posted:

For what it's worth, I am also deeply disappointed in myself.

You made it a manga?

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Even if this is true in measurable numbers, it's not like red states don't have blue cities in them. Which is likely where the majority of people would move. Alternatively: capitalist policies are making it more and more expensive to live anywhere, forcing people to accept their miserable fate and move to a cheaper, less desirable red state.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I'm looking forward to see if Dandeliongate makes it into the next Garrison:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1388505363046191104

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Raised By Birds posted:

Kevin Necessary

This cartoon is the thread’s spirit animal.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm looking forward to see if Dandeliongate makes it into the next Garrison:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1388505363046191104

Aw, that's sweet.

(But I stubbornly insist on liking dandelions. Maybe Jill does too?)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

How can you expect a police officer to know whether or not slowly crushing the life out of an unarmed, restrained person's body over ten loving minutes while people scream, cry, and beg for you to stop is bad? Why they would need a long course on esoteric law before every call if you expect them to know that!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Grimdude posted:

Even if this is true in measurable numbers, it's not like red states don't have blue cities in them. Which is likely where the majority of people would move.

Some right wing media figures have even figured this out and are fearmongering it. I think Glenn Beck has talked about how people moving from California to Texas are turning the state bluer and might cause more Dems to get elected on the state level.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Some right wing media figures have even figured this out and are fearmongering it. I think Glenn Beck has talked about how people moving from California to Texas are turning the state bluer and might cause more Dems to get elected on the state level.

Funny enough, my understanding is that the opposite is true. Native Texans are going bluer while the people moving to Texas are redder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Biden picked a flower for his wife is approaching Obama wore a tan suit, or Obama asked for spicy brown mustard level of bizarre non-story to fixate on.