Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

twoday posted:

I guess at least silver is at least kinda antibacterial and presumably doesn't taste coppery (??) so that makes it the tiniest bit less gross

copper is also antimicrobial :science:

e for some history:

quote:

The first recorded medical use of copper is found in the Smith Papyrus, one of the oldest books known. The Papyrus is an Egyptian medical text, written between 2600 and 2200 B.C., which records the use of copper to sterilize chest wounds and to sterilize drinking water. Other early reports of copper's medicinal uses are found in the Ebers Papyrus, written around 1500 B.C.

DarkEuphoria has issued a correction as of 00:14 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
we would have never had to worry about covid if we just carried anti microbial coins everywhere in our mouths

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

indigi posted:

we would have never had to worry about covid if we just carried anti microbial coins everywhere in our mouths

REJECT MODERNITY

EMBRACE TRADITION

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Are togas the worst clothing in history?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

thats jncos

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Maybe this is obviously wrong but couldn't the coins in the mouth thing be a joke? Like he's so old he's already one foot in the grave, so might as well have the grave money there in his mouth all the time?

yeah the evidence for the mouth coin thing seems to be some jokes in old rear end plays
im a mouth coin skeptic

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

yeah the evidence for the mouth coin thing seems to be some jokes in old rear end plays
im a mouth coin skeptic

the jokes assume a familiarity with mouth coins on the part of the audience

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

three pages and a thread title over a throwaway comment I made about how the past was a foreign country.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Drunkboxer posted:

my point was that he could stow his coins in the meal sack then exchange them for food
as was mentioned earlier, the practise, if it existed, was nothing to do with a lack of container technology but because if the coins are in your mouth then robbers have to open mouth kiss you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PawParole posted:

i dislike it when people try to claim that ancient societies weren't alien and that they had similar values to a humanistic Somethingawful poster in the year 2021. Roman Law allowed a father to sell or kill his children at any age, child abandonment was seen as a positive good, and worst of all, people carried coins in their mouths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYJskKwUqJk

Not so alien now is it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

birdstrike posted:

didn’t they have ledgers?

Yeah.

I don't really know the greeks, but for the sumerians, for daily stuff most people would just use a clay ledger that tracked debts and then rectify them at harvest time. There was a difference between barley and silver debt - basically barley debt would be what farmers would carry for daily use, silver debt would be what nobles would take on for foreign trade. This is important because debt jubilees did not apply to silver debts, just barley.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

indigi posted:

the jokes assume a familiarity with mouth coins on the part of the audience

Or a familiarity with an idiom or established joke or trope

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

as was mentioned earlier, the practise, if it existed, was nothing to do with a lack of container technology but because if the coins are in your mouth then robbers have to open mouth kiss you.

Oh I see, they were just being flirty

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoQqOPGpzZk

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Stuffing coins in my mouth rn

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Maybe the fact that the daughter is fishing out three obols from the mouth with her tongue while the standard rate for a prostitute is three obols is maybe some kind of implication that Philocleon's daughter is a prostitute?

Is that a joke? What passed for a joke back then?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ancient jokes are mainly just being mean and slapstick. vaudeville tier poo poo

theres a roman joke where the guy goes boy im sad my wife hung herself from my fig tree and the other guy goes dang can i have a live cutting of that tree for my wife :rimshot:

take my wife (sub umbras!) please

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
my favourite one that still works, which i think i'm stealing from QI or some other garbage source so it could be fake idc, was one purportedly from ancient greece. a rude patron goes to his barber - the barber asks: how would you like your hair cut? he replies: in silence.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/art_pfrancesca/status/1388283937143861248

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

E oop wrong thread

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/AntiquityJ/status/1388214212544061440

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

CoolCab posted:

my favourite one that still works, which i think i'm stealing from QI or some other garbage source so it could be fake idc, was one purportedly from ancient greece. a rude patron goes to his barber - the barber asks: how would you like your hair cut? he replies: in silence.

Sounds like the kind of joke a Spartan would tell. Or maybe a joke about Spartans.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

twoday posted:

A man, just back from a trip abroad, went to an incompetent fortune-teller. He asked about his family, and the fortune-teller replied: "Everyone is fine, especially your father." When the man objected that his father had been dead for ten years, the reply came: "You have no clue who your real father is."

A misogynist paid his last respects at the tomb of his dead wife. When someone asked him, "Who has gone to rest?," he replied: "Me, now that I'm alone."

An incompetent astrologer cast a boy's horoscope and said: "He will be a lawyer, then a city-official, then a governor." But when this child died, the mother confronted the astrologer: "He's dead -- the one you said was going to be a lawyer and an official and a governor." "By his holy memory," he replied, "if he had lived, he would have been all of those things!"

A student dunce went swimming and almost drowned. So now he swears he'll never get into water until he's really learned to swim.

An idiot is sailing into a storm, fearing the ship will sink, his slaves begin to panic and weep. The idiot says to them: "Don't cry, if the ship sinks and I die, I free you in my will.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

twoday posted:

Maybe the fact that the daughter is fishing out three obols from the mouth with her tongue while the standard rate for a prostitute is three obols is maybe some kind of implication that Philocleon's daughter is a prostitute?

Aristophanes works; a lot of other humour is kind of racist but not because we don’t know what it means to be Thracian (or we’re all Thracian)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

dye it a different color or something idk

even if you figured a way to dye metal you'd think that people would start to notice when you clip a bit off and the colors of the inside and outside don't match

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

ancient jokes are mainly just being mean and slapstick. vaudeville tier poo poo

theres a roman joke where the guy goes boy im sad my wife hung herself from my fig tree and the other guy goes dang can i have a live cutting of that tree for my wife :rimshot:

take my wife (sub umbras!) please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYtQMhnBtTw

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

birdstrike posted:

Aristophanes works; a lot of other humour is kind of racist but not because we don’t know what it means to be Thracian (or we’re all Thracian)

look some stereotypes are based in fact. abderites, whoever they are, are dumb as hell

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

twoday posted:

you're posts :twisted:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Alhazred posted:

A man, just back from a trip abroad, went to an incompetent fortune-teller. He asked about his family, and the fortune-teller replied: "Everyone is fine, especially your father." When the man objected that his father had been dead for ten years, the reply came: "You have no clue who your real father is."

A misogynist paid his last respects at the tomb of his dead wife. When someone asked him, "Who has gone to rest?," he replied: "Me, now that I'm alone."

An incompetent astrologer cast a boy's horoscope and said: "He will be a lawyer, then a city-official, then a governor." But when this child died, the mother confronted the astrologer: "He's dead -- the one you said was going to be a lawyer and an official and a governor." "By his holy memory," he replied, "if he had lived, he would have been all of those things!"

A student dunce went swimming and almost drowned. So now he swears he'll never get into water until he's really learned to swim.

An idiot is sailing into a storm, fearing the ship will sink, his slaves begin to panic and weep. The idiot says to them: "Don't cry, if the ship sinks and I die, I free you in my will.

lol

"Asked by the court barber how he wanted his hair cut, the king replied: "In silence"."

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Tulip posted:

lol

"Asked by the court barber how he wanted his hair cut, the king replied: "In silence"."

bro

does no one read my great posts lmao

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CoolCab posted:

bro

does no one read my great posts lmao

F, sorry bro, last post must have slipped past it. In penance here's an ancient Sumerian joke/brainteaser

Three ox drivers from Adab were thirsty: one owned the ox, the other owned the cow and the other owned the wagon’s load. The owner of the ox refused to get water because he feared his ox would be eaten by a lion; the owner of the cow refused because he thought his cow might wander off into the desert; the owner of the wagon refused because he feared his load would be stolen. So they all went. In their absence the ox made love to the cow which gave birth to a calf which ate the wagon’s load. Problem: Who owns the calf?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Tulip posted:

F, sorry bro, last post must have slipped past it. In penance here's an ancient Sumerian joke/brainteaser

Three ox drivers from Adab were thirsty: one owned the ox, the other owned the cow and the other owned the wagon’s load. The owner of the ox refused to get water because he feared his ox would be eaten by a lion; the owner of the cow refused because he thought his cow might wander off into the desert; the owner of the wagon refused because he feared his load would be stolen. So they all went. In their absence the ox made love to the cow which gave birth to a calf which ate the wagon’s load. Problem: Who owns the calf?

That’s an awfully long water break

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Calthalas/status/1388422823320895491

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A Thracian merchant dreamt that he was selling a pig. He wanted one hundred sesterces, but the man haggling with him would only offer fifty. After waking up, he closed his eyes, stuck out his hand, and said "Alright, I'll take fifty."

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/sentantiq/status/1388825835327660032?s=19

Macrobius, Saturnalia 2.1: posted:

“Who is there, that has taken care to read those those books of his jokes which his freedman composed, who does not know how much Cicero excelled in humor? (Though, some suspect that the freedman was the author.) Who is there, who doesn’t know that he was often called the ‘consular clown’ by his enemies? Vatinius mentioned this in his own speech. I would, if it wouldn’t take too long, recall those cases in which he represented guilty clients, which he won by joking.”

Cicero autem quantum in ea re valuerit quis ignorat qui vel liberti eius libros quos is de iocis patroni conposuit, quos quidam ipsius putant esse, legere curavit? Quis item nescit consularem eum scurram ab inimicis appellari solitum? quod in oratione etiam sua Vatinius posuit. Atque ego, ni longum esset, referrem, in quibus causis, cum nocentissimos reos tueretur, victoriam iocis adeptus sit.

Set closer imo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cicero is responsible for one of history's first recorded antisemetic jokes when he is prosecuting corruption against sicily's governor, Verres (means "hog") he wondered outloud why the jewish defense lawyer would ever deal with a swine.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

cicero is responsible for one of history's first recorded antisemetic jokes when he is prosecuting corruption against sicily's governor, Verres (means "hog") he wondered outloud why the jewish defense lawyer would ever deal with a swine.

He got "perma-banned" by Mark Antony.

Then Mark Antony got de-modded by Octavian

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

etalian posted:

He got "perma-banned" by Mark Antony.

Then Mark Antony got de-modded by Octavian

Mark Antony then created an off-site in Alexandria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

is that antisemitic? just seems like good pun work