Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

tsob posted:

I saw a good bit of Dragon Ball Z growing up, but never watched the whole thing through and I'm honestly not sure I ever could now, because even the pacing on Dragon Ball Z Kai kills me, and I prefer Dragon Ball Z: Abridged just for cutting almost all the dead time, slow pans and shots that hold for way too loving long, as well as a lot of the exaggeratedly long shots of any kind of repeating action. It cuts almost everything down to just the core dialogue and action, which is far more appetizing and also means it has a runtime of a couple of hours rather than a few hundred hours.

one of the really annoying things about kai is that, while it improves on the original by cutting out most of the fluff, it goes in the opposite extreme and cuts out even the good poo poo. for example, the fight between vegeta and final form freezer takes 3 episodes in the original. how long does it take in kai? literally less than FIVE MINUTES.

like, holy poo poo. i'm the last person on the planet to defend the pacing of the original, but come on. not ALL of it was bloat! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mr Interweb posted:

one of the really annoying things about kai is that, while it improves on the original by cutting out most of the fluff, it goes in the opposite extreme and cuts out even the good poo poo. for example, the fight between vegeta and final form freezer takes 3 episodes in the original. how long does it take in kai? literally less than FIVE MINUTES.

like, holy poo poo. i'm the last person on the planet to defend the pacing of the original, but come on. not ALL of it was bloat! :argh:

Doesn't it also cut out the scene where Vegeta finally goes SSJ? smdh

Kai is great, but some of that stuff could have stayed imo. Kai if it matched the pace of the manga better, but kept some of the good show only stuff, would have been perfection.

They also should have kept the Goku and Piccolo learn to drive episode.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
After a growing up on weekly Shonen Anime I can safety say I never want to sit through another one on one fight that takes several episodes to finish.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

JT Smiley posted:

After a growing up on weekly Shonen Anime I can safety say I never want to sit through another one on one fight that takes several episodes to finish.

I still have PTSD from it taking so long to dub the rest of the Namek saga that even the hosts of YTV's The Zone were playing up having breakdowns over not knowing if Goku will defeat Frieza or not.

The Raditz to Namek loop was a truly harrowing time.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Man, I'm really itching for some more animation like this. Anybody have any recommendations for something similar that isn't anime?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Is that woman who shrinks a brand new character? I have no memory of her from the comics.

esperterra posted:

I still have PTSD from it taking so long to dub the rest of the Namek saga that even the hosts of YTV's The Zone were playing up having breakdowns over not knowing if Goku will defeat Frieza or not.

The wait was so long that my brothers and I started watching the Spanish version cause it was way further than the English one. None of us speak Spanish.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JT Smiley posted:

To be fair in the age of binge watching you can turn that into a movie. It was a lot worse when you had to wait a week every time :cheeky:

Eat The Rich posted:

Man, I'm really itching for some more animation like this. Anybody have any recommendations for something similar that isn't anime?

Its Anime but if you haven't seen One Punch Man you really gotta give it a chance.

Non-Anime choices are harder. What part do you like particularly, just the action animation and violence or like the superheroes thing or what?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

JT Smiley posted:

Is that woman who shrinks a brand new character? I have no memory of her from the comics.

She's a gender swap of Shrinking Ray

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

To be fair in the age of binge watching you can turn that into a movie. It was a lot worse when you had to wait a week every time :cheeky:

Its Anime but if you haven't seen One Punch Man you really gotta give it a chance.

Non-Anime choices are harder. What part do you like particularly, just the action animation and violence or like the superheroes thing or what?

Yeah, the violence and the story. I dont like superheroes that much but if they gore it up and darken the story, I'm into it. I love that Invincible shows you the consequences of being a superhero.

e: one punch man is rad

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
speaking as someone who isn't into anime much i found One Punch to be really funny. if you want more cartoons about deconstructing super hero tropes you should watch it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The animation in this episode really stuck out as not too great. The delivery of certain lines suffered because there was such obvious pose to pose switches to accent certain acting beats, really would have preferred them just to hold a pose since the overall direction and framing of shots is great.

Nice finale though. In my memory the comics had more impact but the voice acting was spot on.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
One Punch Man is anime for people who don't like anime. Instead of the heroes journey the main character essentially is at the end of the journey already and is really hoping someone catches up.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Loved the episode, love the show. I bought the first paperback compendium and I can’t wait to dive in.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

The biggest sin is William doesn't realise Mark's dad is Omni-Man, when he's surely the most recognizable man on the planet. You can't even use the Clark Kent wears glasses and has different body language excuse.

When he was told he had the funny line "huh, how did I not see it". Good gag, making fun of the consession that nobody recognizes superheroes, even when their costume leaves them completely unmasked.

Anyway, the episode. I liked it, I'm interested in the coalition and Allen and going off planet, I'm interested in what Nolan is going to decide or do, but I thought the subway scene was completely gratuitous. You can have the same scene but have the camera outside the train. Don't need blood and guts flying at me for 20 seconds. Just gross.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m assuming the train gag in this season is (book spoilers) going to have a loooooooong term visual payoff from the end of the books which I’m not going to describe since it’s a long ways away from the current storyline.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

esperterra posted:

Doesn't it also cut out the scene where Vegeta finally goes SSJ? smdh

did they? i didn't get a chance to see kai after the namek stuff finished (cable got cut off by then)

how would they handle it without that scene? vegeta just shows up, transforms and everyone just accepts it and moves on?

quote:

They also should have kept the Goku and Piccolo learn to drive episode.

quite possibly the only filler episode i was ever willing to tolerate

esperterra posted:

then to finally see them continue the series and come to find out it was nothing like the previous dub was a pretty traumatic moment for me at the time

Eat The Rich posted:

it's not in anyway the same level of goriness, but i've been re-watching justice league and there's some excellent superhero type fight scenes and choreography

JT Smiley posted:

just to be clear, the previous fight i spoke of was only 3 episodes cause they packed it with useless additional poo poo, but the actual fight itself could fit easily within one episode with room to spare

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LegoMan posted:

One Punch Man is anime for people who don't like anime. Instead of the heroes journey the main character essentially is at the end of the journey already and is really hoping someone catches up.

I don’t like anime but I like OPM. Didn't watch season 2 because I heard they cut the animation budget and that’s really the only reason I ever watch an anime series. Demon Slayer also has extremely good animation and action direction.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

All I can say is my wife and I seemed to both enjoy this series far more than a couple of superhero fatigued viewers would've expected (especially since, when she saw the trailer, she thought it was some 90s/2000s era X-Men Evolution-esque nothing show)
Glad it got picked up for 2 more seasons
JK Simmons owns and everyone who was not an experienced voice actor seemed to get it in the end

Goggins grew by leaps and bounds especially

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

zoux posted:

I don’t like anime but I like OPM. Didn't watch season 2 because I heard they cut the animation budget and that’s really the only reason I ever watch an anime series.

bigger problem is that it's sadly kind of a poo poo season

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

LegoMan posted:

one punch man is an anime for people who like anime actually.

zoux posted:

I don’t like anime but I like OPM. Didn't watch season 2 because I heard they cut the animation budget and that’s really the only reason I ever watch an anime series. Demon Slayer also has extremely good animation and action direction.

they switched studios to an outfit known for being mediocre

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The whole "for people who don't like anime" thing is silly anyways because anime is a medium not a genre. Its like saying you don't like music or you don't like paintings. Its ridiculous. You can definitely not like cubism or you can not like romanticism or not like modernism but saying you don't like anime is just silly. (Everybody likes Cowboy Bebop)

Anybody saying they "don't like anime" is really saying they don't like Japanese humor, or they don't like Shonen or hyper anime and haven't seen anything else.

But Eat The Rich said they already have seen One Punch Man so I don't think their asking for non-anime recommendations was because they have a hangup about anime.

Unfortunately there's just not a toooon of western animation that isn't for kids. There's more now than there was in the past, but still, its pretty rare. Netflix and Cartoon Network are doing what they can though.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

https://twitter.com/ThatUnusMF/status/1388049945073229824

This edit works so well.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The person who did this is incredible at lip sync. Flawless job.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

This is amazing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Stairmaster posted:

Vegeta never lied to anyone (except nappa and dodoria)

And Trunks never put on a super suit and tried to be a hero.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Azhais posted:

There's really nothing mysterious about omni man's eyes being red, Immortal jammed his thumbs into them at the very end of last episode and they were red when Nolan wiped the blood off

It's also symbolism, Nolan looks like a monster with red eyes, his true self.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And Trunks never put on a super suit and tried to be a hero.

Invincible is pretty much the Great Saiyaman though

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m seeing complaints on twitter that Mark and Debbie didn’t have arcs this season and I’m like

Edit: Oh interesting the guy saying the characters don’t have arcs was the art director on Invincible. He seems totally disgusted with the show and says the next 2 seasons don’t even have a crew.

https://mobile.twitter.com/axl99/status/1388329620571779074

https://mobile.twitter.com/axl99/status/1388322237623590913

Ccs fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 1, 2021

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Ccs posted:

I’m seeing complaints on twitter that Mark and Debbie didn’t have arcs this season and I’m like

Edit: Oh interesting the guy saying the characters don’t have arcs was the art director on Invincible. He seems totally disgusted with the show and says the next 2 seasons don’t even have a crew.

While I know it shouldn't, it still blows my loving mind how awful people can be at watching things--including people that worked on the IP!

I'm trying to be really, really charitable with these kinds of takes while I figure out what they can mean because I've seen a few friends react similarly, but the idea that Debbie, Mark, or any of the other characters ended the season in the same place in terms of characterization just doesn't make sense.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Ccs posted:

I’m not sure what show this person was watching and what comic they were reading. Deb and Amber were given so so much more than in the comics. I can understand the complaints about Amber, teen relationships and secret identity bullshit are both inherently annoying so what can you do. But Deb was given so much more to work with in the adaptation and came out looking good

If you’re not on board then good riddance I guess?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I work in animation and the idea of an art director giving notes about character arcs strikes me as crazy. That’s not their job. The departments are completely silo’d. Maybe Skybound was trying to be different and giving other departments some input? But you can’t really be upset when your notes aren’t picked up because that’s not the role you were hired for.

I considered asking the guy for more specifics on what he didn’t like but I think this had more to do with feeling like he got burned while working on the show and taking that anger out on the final product. I dunno, I worked on Cats and got screamed at by Tom Hooper and worked 70 hours a week but I still think it a good movie to watch under the influence, no grudge.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 1, 2021

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Man, that was such a brutal hour of television. Even putting aside the violence, the emotional fallout of Omni-Man's actions was hard to watch.

I have mixed feelings about this getting expanded to another two seasons. While, on one hand, I'm interested in where the characters go, I think that the season ended on such a strong note and am worried that the show will deteriorate if it goes in the direction I hear the comics went.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

QuoProQuid posted:

Man, that was such a brutal hour of television. Even putting aside the violence, the emotional fallout of Omni-Man's actions was hard to watch.

I have mixed feelings about this getting expanded to another two seasons. While, on one hand, I'm interested in where the characters go, I think that the season ended on such a strong note and am worried that the show will deteriorate if it goes in the direction I hear the comics went.

gently caress the haters. The comic is good throughout. The complaints on the later issues are mostly that the violence gets more explicit (the show's already at that level though) and a specific plot point that could (and probably should be) excised from the show, without effecting anything else. Also the 'decline' happens waaay later than where we're at now

Rest assured we are not at the peak yet and there are moments in where the next two seasons are likely to go that are definitely worth it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This brings up a good point about how the comics explained Nolan’s plan a bit better. I feel like the show wanted to breeze over that to get to more action set pieces and maybe some of this explanation was implied by the baseball flashback, but it was still a bit unclear.

https://www.polygon.com/comics/22412643/invincible-finale-season-1-omni-man-comics

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

I can't tell if they spent more or less by having 3 mins of cgi in this episode.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That article did answer one question I had, where Atom Eve's powers would seem to be one of the best plans to stop Nolan

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

Counterpoint, the next arc through issue #50 is awesome and almost as good as the first. The weaker points come much later but I honestly still quite like the bits that people complain about

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

The whole "for people who don't like anime" thing is silly anyways because anime is a medium not a genre. Its like saying you don't like music or you don't like paintings. Its ridiculous. You can definitely not like cubism or you can not like romanticism or not like modernism but saying you don't like anime is just silly. (Everybody likes Cowboy Bebop)

Anybody saying they "don't like anime" is really saying they don't like Japanese humor, or they don't like Shonen or hyper anime and haven't seen anything else.

But Eat The Rich said they already have seen One Punch Man so I don't think their asking for non-anime recommendations was because they have a hangup about anime.

Unfortunately there's just not a toooon of western animation that isn't for kids. There's more now than there was in the past, but still, its pretty rare. Netflix and Cartoon Network are doing what they can though.

I like some anime. I'm pretty picky about it. I just finished Akudama Drive and loved it. I just haven't watched any western animation aside from Avatar and Korra.

I asked a friend who's into comics for other recommendations and ended up watching Young Justice and I wasn't into it.

I get why Invincible is one of a kind as far as western animation goes.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Was cruising around audible and...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Eat The Rich posted:

I like some anime. I'm pretty picky about it. I just finished Akudama Drive and loved it. I just haven't watched any western animation aside from Avatar and Korra.

I asked a friend who's into comics for other recommendations and ended up watching Young Justice and I wasn't into it.

I get why Invincible is one of a kind as far as western animation goes.

It's probably because Invincible is written in a serialized manner the same way Avatar/Korra and anime are, while Young Justice rolls with the outdated procedural storytelling method. When you go with the latter it syphons a lot of the weight of a story since there's no clear ending in mind, they're just designed to run forever.