Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

fatherboxx posted:

I find it absolutely unlistenable (because unlike the best of TAZ or Rude Tales, its the podcast made mostly for the enjoyment of the players and not the audience, impossible to follow in background) but thats probably me

You are completely right. I treat it as coursework, not entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Travis did a DM workshop with Austin and other TTRPG figures. However, he did not disclose to those figures that the stream was part of the MaxFun Drive and a commercial product/advertising.

Do you have a link indicating this? All I can find is Austin openly linking people to it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

You might have to go dig around in the old thread. I vaguely remember a video clip going around and a tweet or two from Austin at the time.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1388145410032734208

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

If "The Chris Farley Show, but all of the humorous elements removed" is your peak, maybe comedy isn't for you.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Y’all ain’t on that Posadism tip, yet? gently caress accelerationism…bring on the nukes and UFOs!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sorry im a Hoxhaist and I'm busy digging out a hole for my bunker

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

way way more noticeable than most of the race issues in grad (the firbolg and centaur stuff is all kind of obviously lame but closer to how dnd itself sucks and lends itself to racist stories) was the fact that Travis made pretty ham-handed attempts to include nonbinary characters that I think just generally didn't land, inasmuch as they were either saying "my pronouns are they/them!" in every sentence or they were elmo jokes. hardly terrible but also hilariously noticeable after like two seconds of listening.

travis in general wants very badly to be inclusive but seems unwilling to take five seconds to figure out how to do it well in the most basic ways. the end result is not noxiously racist or sexist or homophobic but IS resoundingly eye-rolling; it's not terribly ableist that rainier interrupts the conversational flow to proudly point out her own dope wheelchair (since no one asked about it, because it's an audio medium and also the players didn't care) to awkward silence from everyone, it's mostly just lame. but often on twitter people can only process their own eye-rolling as moral outrage.

e: basically taz graduation was just the 90s bk kids but most critical analysis online and especially on twitter is incapable of going "this is ideologically aligned with me but terminally lame," everything must either be Correct Good Art or Harmful Bad Art

Valentin fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 30, 2021

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Valentin posted:

way way more noticeable than most of the race issues in grad (the firbolg and centaur stuff is all kind of obviously lame but closer to how dnd itself sucks and lends itself to racist stories) was the fact that Travis made pretty ham-handed attempts to include nonbinary characters that I think just generally didn't land, inasmuch as they were either saying "my pronouns are they/them!" in every sentence or they were elmo jokes. hardly terrible but also hilariously noticeable after like two seconds of listening.

travis in general wants very badly to be inclusive but seems unwilling to take five seconds to figure out how to do it well in the most basic ways. the end result is not noxiously racist or sexist or homophobic but IS resoundingly eye-rolling; it's not terribly ableist that rainier interrupts the conversational flow to proudly point out her own dope wheelchair (since no one asked about it, because it's an audio medium and also the players didn't care) to awkward silence from everyone, it's mostly just lame. but often on twitter people can only process their own eye-rolling as moral outrage.

e: basically taz graduation was just the 90s bk kids but most critical analysis online and especially on twitter is incapable of going "this is ideologically aligned with me but terminally lame," everything must either be Correct Good Art or Harmful Bad Art

Agreed, yeah. The Rainier stuff specifically is like...at worst, it's just kind of clunky representation. Very agreed about the non-binary characters and the general approach to inclusivity - it feels like Travis is trying hard but the end result is never that compelling. Notably the most prominent non-binary characters are Chaos, Order and Festo, who all fall into the "magical being who is abstract to human concepts of gender" bucket, while the actual regular non-binary people are extremely minor extras. I think the ranger that helps the Thundermen out during the centaur stuff is non-binary? Rhodes?

And like, still, none of that is all that bad. It's just okay to say "this is kind of uninspiring but I can see he was trying" rather than "this actively causes harm and is a prejudiced portrayal".

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

hollis from amnesty is a great example of nonbinary representation. they show up, the DM uses their pronouns organically, and they proceed to have a whole-rear end development arc that has nothing to do with their gender.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I may be misremembering but I want to say Rainier’s chair only “featured” in the first few appearances of her character. She was a pretty regular character and I don’t recall it being brought up terribly often in later appearances. There’s also the matter of this being an audio medium and you are going to have to tell rather than show. Could have done a better job of that of course, but it’s a bit of a tightrope to walk to keep people happy.

The poster making allusions to “90’s BK Kidz Club” is pretty spot on. This stuff hard to do right and is unfortunately “new” to the collective consciousness. I’m sure they’ll get better in time, they’ve shown that they care about this sort of thing.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

If they are that worried about representation maybe they should have more people on their show than 4 straight white cis men?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Hollis’ identity must have been done in an organic, subtle way because I remember literally nothing about that character

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Hollis was in charge of the biker gang.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Colonel Whitey posted:

Hollis’ identity must have been done in an organic, subtle way because I remember literally nothing about that character

I don't think their gender ever actually came up, griffin just used they/them

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

inferis posted:

If they are that worried about representation maybe they should have more people on their show than 4 straight white cis men?

Yeah if they really cared about representation they'd do some tokenism immediately

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

inferis posted:

Unironic this. If the only way they can provide representation is a white guy sockpuppeting someone who isn’t a white guy, then it comes off as very insincere. “We represent all people, but don’t ask us to add one to our table!!” It means it’s about the white guy themselves taking the opportunity to flex their woke, and we’re not here to make you look good.

I’m sure it’s because it’s a family thing, but c’mon, I don’t buy the “it’s too hard to get people togetherrrrr” excuse.

some plague rats posted:

Yeah if they really cared about representation they'd do some tokenism immediately

Inviting some other people to the table is like the opposite of tokenism also I don’t think you know what tokenism is.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

Inviting some other people to the table is like the opposite of tokenism also I don’t think you know what tokenism is.

"People are saying we're not diverse enough, better scrounge up a PoC/disabled/trans person to hang out with us" would fit the definition wouldn't it? It's diversity not because you want to hang out with that person but because they've got a particular skin colour or condition that you can use as a shield to stop people complaining at you

Personally I was laughing just now at the idea of Clint seeing the complaints, trying to adopt a 35 year old black guy and renaming the show My Brother, My Brother, My Brotha And Me which probably means I've been listening to too much cum town

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

inferis posted:

To be fair, as a middle aged white man in the rural south, it is kind of hard to make new friends, especially ones that are outside of your limited circles. I only have the young, varied friends that I do is because I literally showed up at the lone local gaming store with candy.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

inferis posted:

Nah I like that it's just the 4 family members, and I hope it stays that way. If they want to do guests, they could do it for the live shows or one shots sure but I enjoy the family dynamic in these long campaigns. Plus if we need to have all these NPCs represented correctly so they bring in diverse guests are those guests just going to be coming on so they can roleplay a certain diverse character accurately? So is a black guest going to come on and have to play a black character so it's portrayed correctly? Is someone disabled going to have to roleplay as someone in a wheelchair? They're never going to represent all colors, creeds and diverse characters perfectly, as long as it doesn't go into the territory of offensive I don't see an issue with them trying to just have some npcs in their stories that are different races, disabled etc to populate their world with some more diversity.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Not every piece of media has to be solving the world's problems, it's ok for a podcast to just be doing goofs with your buds.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Travis in TTAZZ citing the dueling guitars scene from Reboot as a key inspiration for Gray's character makes me like this whole season a little more tbh

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Entropic posted:

Not every piece of media has to be solving the world's problems, it's ok for a podcast to just be doing goofs with your buds.

That’s fine but their inclusivity is very much a part of the brand they’re selling.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

There's nothing wrong with having a podcast that's just made with your family members, come on.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

They literally talked on the latest TTAZZ that scheduling just the four of them to get together is hard enough and that's why they don't want to take on long-term guests.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ibblebibble posted:

They literally talked on the latest TTAZZ that scheduling just the four of them to get together is hard enough and that's why they don't want to take on long-term guests.

Yeah but some people ITT somehow don't buy that as an excuse.

As sacrifice, I myself will have two kids and too many podcasts recording each week and try to compare how it goes for me

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know if I buy it tbh.

It is really hard to get my friend together for d and d even biweekly due to all our with schedules, but what my theory presupposes is, what if instead of having to go around our jobs to get a session together, recording our d and d session were actually our job?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Being stay at home dads is their job though.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Or they could stop doing one of their 75 other less popular projects to help facilitate making their big money maker easier!

Not saying they should do that, but it seems like a no brainer to me.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Kill MBMBAM and focus on TAZ, hail satan.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

um excuse me posted:

Hail Gein!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Just Chamber posted:

So is a black guest going to come on and have to play a black character so it's portrayed correctly?

"Ron, great to have you back, everybody loved the MBMBAM ep and we're excited to have you on TAZ"

"Thanks, Justin, I haven't played D&D in years. I've been thinking I'll make a gnome illusionist and--"

"Actually, Ron, we've got a pre-genned character for you..."

(I googled "d&d human" and picked this dude, who actually loving owns... look at that armor, look at that spear; spears don't get nearly enough love in RPGs)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Pham Nuwen posted:

"Ron, great to have you back, everybody loved the MBMBAM ep and we're excited to have you on TAZ"

"Thanks, Justin, I haven't played D&D in years. I've been thinking I'll make a gnome illusionist and--"

"Actually, Ron, we've got a pre-genned character for you..."

(I googled "d&d human" and picked this dude, who actually loving owns... look at that armor, look at that spear; spears don't get nearly enough love in RPGs)

yeah that's the image for either "human" or "fighter" in 5e which is at least an improvement over a human fighter always being Sir Fenwick of Avonshire, King's Prestiged Knight

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Trav should do a guest spot on LPOTL.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

grittyreboot posted:

Trav should do a guest spot on LPOTL.

Oddly enough, I think Henry and Travis would vibe.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Marsupial Ape posted:

Oddly enough, I think Henry and Travis would vibe.

they 100% have the same energy just in very different tones

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

sexpig by night posted:

they 100% have the same energy just in very different tones

Can you imagine Travis trying to participate in one of their Gold Star serial killer episodes? Jesus…what if true crime were the missing puzzle piece to Travis?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

um excuse me posted:

For real the every other week format holds back taz a whole lot

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Actually just put TAZ out to the pasture, there are many far superior dnd actual plays, at the very least turn it into an improv or serialized fiction podcast

Maybe do it as one offs in live events

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That made me think, why don't they bring on Clint to cover for Griffin on MBMBAM? That'd be fun. Has he ever done an episode?