Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

Advent Horizon posted:

Between my wife and I we’ve never disposed of a vehicle. The Leaf is our newest by 20 years.

I would love to know where you live. Where I'm from originally (North East) this would be kind of normal. Where I am now (Orange County) that would be just completely nuts. I am drowning in car culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Juneau, Alaska.

This is a place where people with money drive beaters and their receptionists drive Mercedes. My department director, appointed directly by and reporting directly to the State Governor, drives a mid-2000s Subaru. The next person below her drives an equally old Hyundai.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Clayton Bigsby posted:

And there's already talk of the AWD version being pushed to Q1 2022 which means probably a solid year before most people get theirs. I will admit I felt slight regret having ordered an e-Niro when the price dropped on the Ioniq but I'd definitely want the AWD and I am not waiting another year for an EV. I figure in 2-3 years after it's had the initial bugs worked out it might be a good option. Reading the ID4 forums now I am glad I canceled mine because man that's a lot of weird bugs to deal with. I'd hope for VW getting their poo poo figured out soon but then I was reminded of our Passat GTE which still disables sensors seemingly at random due to software bugs.

Yeah I can't think of a car that will suit us better for the next 3 years more than the ID.3. It's certainly not perfect, but it has most of the things we really want. We don't have kids yet, and even if we get a kid during the lease time it'll still be more than enough. I'm not very good at waiting for things I want. I have a hard time waiting the 11 weeks they quoted for the ID.3, let alone a year.

The e-Niro was on my short list back when I bought my Optima, but due to the massive price hikes and long waiting times I never got one. I'm confident that I would have been happy with it (never did test drive it though). The only drawback is getting the FWD version.

particle9 posted:

I am also not smart so this is just what I think and you can tell me why I'm wrong and I won't listen probably.

Sounds reasonable. To me it seems like the more expensive the car, the better leasing becomes. Always seems like the leasing cost is disproportionate to the buy price compared to cheap cars. Then there is all the maintenance and poo poo that costs a ton.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Ola posted:

Speaking of crazy rates, the Rimac C_Two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXe4X3rYIPw

0-60 2.33s (dirty surface, road tires)

1/4 mile 8.94s.

Faster for Hammond to flip it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yeah I can't think of a car that will suit us better for the next 3 years more than the ID.3. It's certainly not perfect, but it has most of the things we really want. We don't have kids yet, and even if we get a kid during the lease time it'll still be more than enough. I'm not very good at waiting for things I want. I have a hard time waiting the 11 weeks they quoted for the ID.3, let alone a year.

The e-Niro was on my short list back when I bought my Optima, but due to the massive price hikes and long waiting times I never got one. I'm confident that I would have been happy with it (never did test drive it though). The only drawback is getting the FWD version.

Sounds reasonable. To me it seems like the more expensive the car, the better leasing becomes. Always seems like the leasing cost is disproportionate to the buy price compared to cheap cars. Then there is all the maintenance and poo poo that costs a ton.

I moaned about this earlier in the thread somewhere but the lease options for Taycans were terrible compared to Audis, so I think it just depends on the specific lease offers. I don't know whether it extends to the e-tron GT, but for an e-tron SUV the interest was 0.9% and residual was 55%ish at 2 years, vs 4% interest and 39% residual at Porsche. I gambled the residual for the taycan is unrealistically low so bought / financed it rather than leased, so I may get my fingers burned when someone actually does develop solid state batteries in a year's time or whatever. Also despite what the sales person said, when I got my hands on the lease T&Cs they explicitly excluded me buying the car at the end of the lease so I couldn't take advantage of the likely low residual.

This is of course not in the USA where I think the offers are a bit better.

I meant to do a mini road trip report for a week's vacation I just did. I live in Lausanne and took the Taycan down to Ascona in the Italian speaking part of the country for a few days, then back to stay in Andermatt in the mountains, before coming home. A weird thing with the Taycan is it shows a really pessimistic range when you first get it, and the range gets longer. Initially it gave about 325km on the meter but it's up to 400km now.

None of the legs were long enough to need a charge en route which I guess is a benefit of being in a small country. The hotels we stayed at just do EV charging as a matter of course and it's pretty magical to get your car fully topped up when you leave. Realistically I don't think doing a 40 minute stop at an Ionity would be a big deal, though having to plan rigidly would be a pain and it restricts where you can go. I like trips to northern Italy (no poo poo) which is a bit of a black hole for Ionity stations but when the one at Aosta is in action the Liguria coast will be easy, currently a little bit of a stretch from the Martigny charger.

The car was great. Looking for negatives, it's unavoidable that it's a big car and lots of the infrastructure here just isn't designed for cars this size. I got trapped in an Ikea car park once because I couldn't get it down the exit ramp of the multi-storey car park. The luggage capacity isn't that huge either and with my GF's road bike inside in a bag there wasn't much room for more than the 3 carry-on size bags without really packing stuff in. Not all that much more space than my Audi TTS, surprisingly, though a Cross Turismo would be a lot better. I had taken the (unnecessarily big) charger and the car cover in the frunk, neither of which were needed and would have freed up space. It's impossible to ignore how expensive it is as well and I worry about loving up the leather with luggage and that kind of poo poo.

Other than that, it was an awesome car for the trip. It's great on the mountain roads and especially the precision of the steering and lack of roll makes it super relaxing on the twisty parts, though it's a bit wide when the typical Valaisan driver comes round the corner in the middle of the road in the other direction. I pretty much always had it in Normal mode rather than Sport to keep it comfortable, though that's at some cost to the driving experience it also doesn't use 1st gear so you get a few more km. Didn't use Range which disengages the rear motor. The adaptive cruise control, lane following and traffic start/stop work fine and it's pretty serene cruising round the autoroute sections, super quiet and the ride is great. Acceleration is ridiculous even in Normal when you put your foot down, and apart from just being fun it's awesome for joining autoroutes. The Bose stereo is excellent and has carplay, no AA though.

Ascona is nice:

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 1, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Can we change the thread title to include the answer?

Link to the answer is now in the OP, thread titles don't really have the space to work the answer in.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the input on leasing everyone! It has given me a lot to think about.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Advent Horizon posted:

Juneau, Alaska.

This is a place where people with money drive beaters and their receptionists drive Mercedes. My department director, appointed directly by and reporting directly to the State Governor, drives a mid-2000s Subaru. The next person below her drives an equally old Hyundai.

How did your director get a car from 2,500????

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

knox_harrington posted:

I gambled the residual for the taycan is unrealistically low so bought / financed it rather than leased, so I may get my fingers burned when someone actually does develop solid state batteries in a year's time or whatever.

I don't think solid state batteries are going to have any significant impact on the EV market in the next 5+ years. Every new battery technology that gets announced as "going to revolutionize the industry" is usually only a single digit percentage gain over existing tech and may come with some pretty bad tradeoffs. Sure, batteries 5 years from now will probably be solidly superior to the ones we use today in durability and probably a fair amount higher capacity too. In 10 years we might be talking 30-50% more capacity by weight and volume, with similar gains in durability and power (faster charge/discharge rates), but those changes won't happen all at once or be due to a single technology.

Take the much hyped "million mile battery" from Tesla, the actual performance of the cells is only modestly better than the existing ones, they really are not all that special from a capacity/weight/volume/power/endurance standpoint. The real big deal about them is that they are going to be way easier and cleaner to manufacture and also simpler to integrate into a vehicle because of their better thermal properties. One of their largest gains for the vehicle range is you can just physically fit more active material in a car because of the simpler cooling requirements mean you can pack them more densely.

My guess is most likely that the batteries we are using today will still be "good enough" by the time the rest of the vehicle is falling apart and you will want to replace it for that reason.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

particle9 posted:

I am also not smart so this is just what I think and you can tell me why I'm wrong and I won't listen probably.

I wish every post on the Internet ended with this. It probably wouldn't stop people from yelling at each other, but at least I would feel like they were being honest with each other.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Indiana_Krom posted:

Take the much hyped "million mile battery" from Tesla, the actual performance of the cells is only modestly better than the existing ones, they really are not all that special from a capacity/weight/volume/power/endurance standpoint. The real big deal about them is that they are going to be way easier and cleaner to manufacture and also simpler to integrate into a vehicle because of their better thermal properties. One of their largest gains for the vehicle range is you can just physically fit more active material in a car because of the simpler cooling requirements mean you can pack them more densely.

Cylindrical cells are also inherently worse for packaging and cooling than pouch cells and as I understand it the only reason Tesla went with them originally is that they are commodity cells and could just be bought off the shelf.

Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo S (lol) on a rally stage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiM9vagKgfo

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Ola posted:

In Norway Tesla are offering 1.49% on the Model 3 SR+ and 0.25% on the LR, for 36 months.

Speaking of crazy rates, the Rimac C_Two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXe4X3rYIPw

0-60 2.33s (dirty surface, road tires)

1/4 mile 8.94s.

e: also fun to spy on Mate's tabs and bookmarks. "E-Bike tours", "Review of BMW 3..." and "Salaries dashboard".

Until your post, I'd ony ever thought of Rimac as one of those car companies run by morons that wouldn't go anywhere like TVR. It seems like Rimac is pretty interesting company and Mate Rimac isn't a moron.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

half cocaine posted:

Until your post, I'd ony ever thought of Rimac as one of those car companies run by morons that wouldn't go anywhere like TVR. It seems like Rimac is pretty interesting company and Mate Rimac isn't a moron.

Yeah, it's surprising to learn about them. Porsche owns 24% share of Rimac, Hyundai 14%. They manufacture components for Aston Martin and Koenigsegg for example.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

knox_harrington posted:

I meant to do a mini road trip report for a week's vacation I just did. I live in Lausanne and took the Taycan down to Ascona in the Italian speaking part of the country for a few days, then back to stay in Andermatt in the mountains, before coming home. A weird thing with the Taycan is it shows a really pessimistic range when you first get it, and the range gets longer. Initially it gave about 325km on the meter but it's up to 400km now.

None of the legs were long enough to need a charge en route which I guess is a benefit of being in a small country. The hotels we stayed at just do EV charging as a matter of course and it's pretty magical to get your car fully topped up when you leave. Realistically I don't think doing a 40 minute stop at an Ionity would be a big deal, though having to plan rigidly would be a pain and it restricts where you can go. I like trips to northern Italy (no poo poo) which is a bit of a black hole for Ionity stations but when the one at Aosta is in action the Liguria coast will be easy, currently a little bit of a stretch from the Martigny charger.

Ascona is nice:

Sounds really nice, and looks awesome in the pictures. We are thinking of doing a road trip down to those parts in summer. Got any recommendations for EV friendly hotels in that area?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.slashgear.com/toyota-built-an-internal-combustion-engine-that-sips-hydrogen-and-it-sounds-awesome-30671055/

A hydrogen piston engine. Toyota really seems to be hanging on to hydrogen powered cars. Seems the best they can say for it is it feels the same as a gas engine.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I think I read somewhere years ago that normal gas ICEs could run on hydrogen stock or with slight modification. Could be a good way to keep classics going in the future.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LRADIKAL posted:

https://www.slashgear.com/toyota-built-an-internal-combustion-engine-that-sips-hydrogen-and-it-sounds-awesome-30671055/

A hydrogen piston engine. Toyota really seems to be hanging on to hydrogen powered cars. Seems the best they can say for it is it feels the same as a gas engine.

Hydrogen engines are old hat, BMW had one in 2003. The problem is their efficiency is terrible, making the already very dubious environmental advantage of hydrogen (as in, it doesn't have one) even worse.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fame Douglas posted:

Hydrogen engines are old hat, BMW had one in 2003. The problem is their efficiency is terrible, making the already very dubious environmental advantage of hydrogen (as in, it doesn't have one) even worse.

And hydrogen infrastructure is still a complete pain in the rear end.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

MrOnBicycle posted:

I think I read somewhere years ago that normal gas ICEs could run on hydrogen stock or with slight modification. Could be a good way to keep classics going in the future.

Ethanol sounds a lot easier.

Biobutanol would be even better but, near as I can tell, all the companies involved in research would rather continue selling gasoline.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Advent Horizon posted:

Ethanol sounds a lot easier.

Biobutanol would be even better but, near as I can tell, all the companies involved in research would rather continue selling gasoline.

True. For diesel we now have HVO100 readily available here in Sweden. Would be nice to have a petrol equivalent, even if it's more expensive (like HVO100 is).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

MrYenko posted:

And hydrogen infrastructure is still a complete pain in the rear end.

There's just no way around the fact that it leaches through metals and there's no practical and safe way to store enough of it at a car level, EV's are all over the country and 90% of the infrastructure already exists to power them, H2 is dead.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Sounds really nice, and looks awesome in the pictures. We are thinking of doing a road trip down to those parts in summer. Got any recommendations for EV friendly hotels in that area?

I haven't been on holiday in Italy in an EV yet but the place in Ticino was the Giardino Ascona and I'd definitely recommend staying there. It's the most relaxing place I've ever stayed. Maybe not incredibly fancy but to chill out it was superb.

https://giardinohotels.ch/en/ascona/

No stranger to EVs clearly

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

There's just no way around the fact that it leaches through metals and there's no practical and safe way to store enough of it at a car level, EV's are all over the country and 90% of the infrastructure already exists to power them, H2 is dead.

If I were a betting man I'd put most of my money on electric conversions for gas cars being the future.

And then I'd put some more money on artisanal gas cars as playthings for the wealthy.

I was around when digital watches came out and I'm absolutely certain electric cars are going to be the same story.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

knox_harrington posted:

I haven't been on holiday in Italy in an EV yet but the place in Ticino was the Giardino Ascona and I'd definitely recommend staying there. It's the most relaxing place I've ever stayed. Maybe not incredibly fancy but to chill out it was superb.

https://giardinohotels.ch/en/ascona/

No stranger to EVs clearly

Thanks! My wife fell in love with it just by looking at the homepage. Will probably book a few nights there, and the perhaps a few nights at Grand Hotel Zell am Zee followed by a visit to Berchtesgaden (one of my Bucketlist places). Stelvio Pass would be nice as well.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

A Toyota BEV is like the ideal car for me - bland, reliable and solid fit/finish. Too bad this is going to be pretty late to market. That concept art looks like the newer Rav 4.

I’m buying a used gen 3 Prius at some point this year and then waiting for the Toyota EV’s. But I’m not really a car guy, and rent don’t own yet so timing wise it’s smart to wait I think.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

If any of you has the license plate number "5*WATTS" I apologize for the lame joke I just made at the DC fast charger.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

keseph posted:

The financing options for Tesla vary by area. In my case (AZ), they just handled the paperwork for Chase Auto which offered an identical rate to State Farm and my local credit union, and then handed me the details to register with Chase's system at the end so they're not even in the middle of the payment loop. But since they're not a "dealership", some local laws may prohibit or restrict what financing they offer or how and you'd need to check locally: they were more than happy to share that they were fronting Chase and asked if I had another lender in mind that I wanted to finance through instead.

When I bought my Model Y in Missouri, the order form that asked cash/lease/loan essentially said "oh you want to finance? ok 2.49%" before they even ran my credit. They approved me at that rate. Apparently they had a promo arrangement with Wells Fargo where the 2.49% comes from; if you applied for financing they sent your file straight to WF and called it done.

I emailed them and asked them to shop the rate, and they came back 10 minutes later with 1.79% from Chase. A relative of mine is president of a small local bank and I asked him if they could match or beat that, and since not, I took the Chase offer.

Considering the spread on that, I am guessing the deal with Wells Fargo got Tesla at least a .7% markup on the financing, and it's just even more opaque than the process that happens in the F&I office of a regular dealership.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Thanks! My wife fell in love with it just by looking at the homepage. Will probably book a few nights there, and the perhaps a few nights at Grand Hotel Zell am Zee followed by a visit to Berchtesgaden (one of my Bucketlist places). Stelvio Pass would be nice as well.

If you're going into Ticino through Switzerland in summer you'll also go over Furka and Gotthard, or over Nufenen.

https://www.thechediandermatt.com/media/archive1/andermatt/The-Chedi-Andermatt-Roadbook-online.pdf

Sounds like a great trip.

e: or Simplon but that's more boring

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 1, 2021

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Between the Ford Mach-E, the Hyundai Kona, and the VW ID.4, what is the sensible electric car for a family in the city?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Not having seen any of them in person, I put my deposit in on an ID.4. mostly because Ford's deposit model looked a lot less transparent and open to dealer shenanigans (as has been shown in this thread) and the Kona isn't for sale in my state.

I will say my local VW dealership has been chill so far. My car arrived there like 3 weeks ago and I'm out of the country, they've given me zero pressure about a timeframe to buy it or anything, just said give us a call when you're back and we'll give you a test drive.

That being said I'll probably end up in a GTI, Bolt or Rav4 Prime unless the ID.4 really impresses me.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

Ethanol isnt going away and that's even easier to convert to. And also in some regards a desireable conversion esp with forced induction and doesnt have the ugly storage problems of H2

Either way I doubt there will be a supply problem for ICE and petrol until after most of us are dead and I don't think petrol ICE will ever be straight out banned from use.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ethanol isnt going away and that's even easier to convert to. And also in some regards a desireable conversion esp with forced induction and doesnt have the ugly storage problems of H2

Either way I doubt there will be a supply problem for ICE and petrol until after most of us are dead and I don't think petrol ICE will ever be straight out banned from use.

ICEs will absolutely soldier on for a very long time in certain use cases and markets. The current wave of “ban ICEs by 2030” are pretty ludicrously optimistic, no matter how admirable the goal is.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrOnBicycle posted:

Holley carbs already have a long-standing reputation for leaks with gasoline, god help them with hydrogen.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's rotaries Mazda claims are easy to convert to hydrogen.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

I'm not going to buy an ev car for at least 3 more years. gently caress early adoption. Who's paying me to beta test bullshit products? Oh that's right no one.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Between the Ford Mach-E, the Hyundai Kona, and the VW ID.4, what is the sensible electric car for a family in the city?

Mach E or ID.4. The Kona is a good car, but smaller than you probably want for a family car. I think the Mach-E is a better car right now but I like the packaging in the ID.4 more. It’s got some issues on the software side that need to be worked through (the Mach E does as well, but it seems to be doing a little better)

The Mach E is has more intuitive software, feels sportier, and has true one pedal driving if you care about that. It also has a usable frunk and some niceties like the foot activate power hatch.

The ID.4 feels larger inside and is a more comfortable over rough roads. It also has a better charging curve. People seem to be having a lot of issues maintaining decent fast charge rates on the Mach E.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Charles posted:

It's rotaries Mazda claims are easy to convert to hydrogen.

They are. A rotary has a fairly uncommon ability to run on a wide range of fuels without any real design changes and even run better on lower energetic fuels. Also Mazda had a fleet of RX-8's that proved it. Mazda tried to bet that someone would figure out the production and storage problems so that they had a jump ahead of everyone with a motor annnnnnnd well that didnt happen.

Altho lets be factual here, until Tesla came along Hydrogen did look like the winning bet even with the issues H2 has

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've done very little research on hydrogen cars and maybe green hydrogen is the future, but when you start with the premise of your typical passenger car having a 10k psi tank full of flammable liquid/gas in the car I feel like you really better show why this is so much better than ICE / BEVs before I'd even consider it acceptable for mainstream use. I've seen the Russian dashcam vids.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

particle9 posted:

Awesome loan vs lease post

TLDR; lease everything but a Tesla! If I had more sense I would wait for the Q4, lease that poo poo from the dealer at the end of the year and wait out this cluster gently caress in three years. Dealers can set residual and game tax credits to offer insanely low lease deals right now. Why would you not lease? Well... I guess if you thought rates were about to spike to 6-8%? If you feel like inflation is around the corner and your debts will be worth pennies in the near future? You have to be really financially frugal and really happy to drive something into the dirt to think leasing isn't a great option if you live in the USA IMO.

I'm even less smart in this. Does the calculus change with 0% loans? I'm eying a polestar 2 which has offers for 0% 60 month loans vs leasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

half cocaine posted:

I'm not going to buy an ev car for at least 3 more years. gently caress early adoption. Who's paying me to beta test bullshit products? Oh that's right no one.

This is an awesome post, here in the EV thread, where most of the posters drive electric vehicles, a technology that's been mature and practical for 5-6 years now.