Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So, as someone who never even HEARD of the comic before binging this show, how does it compare quality-wise? I was skeptical going into the first episode and was pretty sold on the show by the finale (even though it doesn't really have an original bone in its body - I LIKE this big old cliche skeleton).

Considering buying the comics (like everyone on Amazon just did apparently) but was curious if the show is just on a different level of quality. I know some folks felt very strongly that The Boys was way better in its show adaptation than its comic origins so I'm wondering what the general goon takes on this score are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The comic was good, until it wasn't. There was no real precipitating event for this; it just got progressively less interesting--although I liked parts of the ending. It may read better in binge format, but there is something that could be the moment when the comic becomes bad, although IMO it had already become boring before that happened. The shuffling around that the show is doing is helping immensely, I would say.

There's also some stuff that hasn't aged well, which people have mentioned in this thread, and it makes me cringe now, but it's not too intolerable.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Memnaelar posted:

So, as someone who never even HEARD of the comic before binging this show, how does it compare quality-wise? I was skeptical going into the first episode and was pretty sold on the show by the finale (even though it doesn't really have an original bone in its body - I LIKE this big old cliche skeleton).

Considering buying the comics (like everyone on Amazon just did apparently) but was curious if the show is just on a different level of quality. I know some folks felt very strongly that The Boys was way better in its show adaptation than its comic origins so I'm wondering what the general goon takes on this score are.

You can’t really compare it to the Boys in a meaningful way. Kirkman is not really as misanthropic as Ennis. The Boys is a super mean spirited pastiche of superheroe comics, while invincible is just kirkman writing his own take on every single superhero story line ever it without too much editorial oversight.

It is unique in a very specific way when you compare it to other superhero stories, namely that it is not and endlessly running soap opera in a shared universe with an unchangeable status quo, but a finished story by a single author. Meaning that the story has a beginning, a middle and an end with a clear through-line that culminate in a grand finally. Mark’s actions have consequences and the world of Invincible changes a lot throughout the series. The basics formular as established in the first season doesn’t change all that much, and the series has been described as Dragonball Z meets superheroes. Meaning there are sections where Mark and other heroes fight some super villains like the Mauler Twins or doc Seismic and there are sections where mark gets into bloody battles like vs his father it battle beast. The gore level stand about the same. If you like the series thus far, you’ll like the comics, even if you can argue about the quality of the storie in later parts.

edit: oh, another thing, the comic is kind of written in a way that presumes you know how superhero stories go and operate. I.e. the original guardians of the globe never really get explained or fleshed out in the comic, because they are literally just a justice league stand in. You don’t have to explain them, everybody know who they are and what they do. And happens a lot, but more so in the earlier issues.

e X fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 1, 2021

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Memnaelar posted:

So, as someone who never even HEARD of the comic before binging this show, how does it compare quality-wise? I was skeptical going into the first episode and was pretty sold on the show by the finale (even though it doesn't really have an original bone in its body - I LIKE this big old cliche skeleton). Considering buying the comics (like everyone on Amazon just did apparently) but was curious if the show is just on a different level of quality. I know some folks felt very strongly that The Boys was way better in its show adaptation than its comic origins so I'm wondering what the general goon takes on this score are.
I was disappointed by the comics and wouldn't recommend them - the show switching things around does such a better job on characters and events. I guess seeing where it differs can be interesting?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 11:56 on May 1, 2021

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
https://youtu.be/1pBiY0CL-r8

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Good Citizen posted:

gently caress the haters. The comic is good throughout. The complaints on the later issues are mostly that the violence gets more explicit (the show's already at that level though) and a specific plot point that could (and probably should be) excised from the show, without effecting anything else. Also the 'decline' happens waaay later than where we're at now

Rest assured we are not at the peak yet and there are moments in where the next two seasons are likely to go that are definitely worth it.

My concern is (and I have no idea whether this is a real comic spoiler or not) the comic ends with Mark as a benevolent dictator of Earth and that’s really the kind of groan-inducing ending that I feared before I got spoiled.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
Liked the ending, I appreciated that they gave mark some time to process what happened at the end. But come on give your mom a hug man. If someone can’t see that Debbie got plenty of character arc to chew on this season then idk what to tell them. In addition, they have set her up to be pretty much the moral core of the show moving forward so that’s great.

If we are handing out other supper hero show recommendations let me throw out two. First for western style animation: Harley Quinn is a different take on the dc universe, three seasons and is a complete story. Also, Ron funches voices king shark and is great.

Second for anime, Mob Psycho is by the same guy who did one punch man and is a wholesome show about developing emotional maturity in a superhero. It helps that the animation is gorgeous.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
Is there a comic spoiler thread to discuss the comic without spoiling people who have not read them (I would recommend them highly).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'll point out you can sign up for a free trial of Comixology unlimited and read like the first 60 issues for free and judge for yourself. I quite like the comic and it was rather popular, one thing I've learned over the years is that the goon consensus tends to have...esoteric...opinions on comics that doesn’t necessarily mirror the general reception of a particular book. Of course as one yourself you may have the same tastes! But you can find out for free.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Lots of people haven't seen Whiplash apparently.

He's far more terrifying in that than he ever was in Oz. Its seriously like, traumatic to watch.

Seriously people watch Whiplash.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

drat this was so violent and awesome, i love violence

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
publicly making GBS threads all over your ex co workers seems like a good way to get blackballed but what do i know.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

zoux posted:

I'll point out you can sign up for a free trial of Comixology unlimited and read like the first 60 issues for free and judge for yourself. I quite like the comic and it was rather popular, one thing I've learned over the years is that the goon consensus tends to have...esoteric...opinions on comics that doesn’t necessarily mirror the general reception of a particular book. Of course as one yourself you may have the same tastes! But you can find out for free.

The whole series is on Kindle Unlimited too.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

My concern is (and I have no idea whether this is a real comic spoiler or not) the comic ends with Mark as a benevolent dictator of Earth and that’s really the kind of groan-inducing ending that I feared before I got spoiled.

The comic doesn't end like this.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I think that the people in this thread are forgetting something really important about Mark's characterization: He is a lovely teen. I dunno the last time you nerds was a lovely teen (for me it was, uh, more than two decades ago now) but the best emotional response to a given situation definitely wasn't the first one I thought of. Hell, it often still isn't, and having had someone unexpected give me The Best emotional response about two years ago now was what made me rethink how I approach people. That being said, give your drat mom a hug ya dingus.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

uber_stoat posted:

publicly making GBS threads all over your ex co workers seems like a good way to get blackballed but what do i know.

Yeah what is up with that? I mean its amazon so I guess they're treating their workers like poo poo anyway?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Affi posted:

Yeah what is up with that? I mean its amazon so I guess they're treating their workers like poo poo anyway?

It’s not even Amazon though, he’s criticizing the people at Skybound who made the story choices. Which... okay as an artist you can have your opinions, animators complain about the shows they work on all the time. They don’t take to twitter to air their grievances though, that’s potential career suicide. It’s like how actors never badmouth the project during its premiere.

At least he didn’t post this on LinkedIn.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

Seriously people watch Whiplash.

if anyone hasn't seen it, go watch it. I am way more scared of the angry band director than the world-conquering alien. whiplash is a top ten all-timer for me

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Good Citizen posted:

gently caress the haters. The comic is good throughout. The complaints on the later issues are mostly that the violence gets more explicit (the show's already at that level though) and a specific plot point that could (and probably should be) excised from the show, without effecting anything else. Also the 'decline' happens waaay later than where we're at now

Rest assured we are not at the peak yet and there are moments in where the next two seasons are likely to go that are definitely worth it.

As someone how just binged the end of the series I have to agree. I wouldn't say it's perfect throughout, but it remains a fun read. But I can see where someone would have plenty of issues with the pace and story direction if they were reading week to week though.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Like is this a valid criticism? I dunno. Depends how many generations Debbie’s family has been in the US and if they were the type of immigrants to try to fully convert to traditions of host countries, like how my mom never learned Norwegian cause back then immigrant parents just wanted their kids to fully integrate into US culture. It could have been neat for them to use chopsticks or something but I get why the writers didn’t since coming from the comic it’s unclear what Debbie’s cultural background is.

https://mobile.twitter.com/axl99/status/1388525567000023042

https://mobile.twitter.com/axl99/status/1388526974776135687

I feel like Amber was written more like a poc character, but also she comes across as upper middle class suburbanite just like in the comics, although she has more social concerns and volunteers after school. Hrmm

Ccs fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 1, 2021

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
If you like fighting, superpowers and violence, then dissing anime is crazy to me.

Anime has the best fighting and violence and superpower stuff around. Someone mentioned Mob Psycho for example, and it's a great example. Just look at this poo poo (for context, it's super psychics with powers fighting eachother):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar7fHWRMNoE

I wish shows like Invincible got animation this cool and creative :allears:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It’s more on the YA side of things but Brandon Sanderson’s “Reckoners” book series is a bit of The Boys band a bit of Invincible and other comic tropes. Fun series. Premise is that one day 1000s of people get super powered, and while some of them are good, within a decade the whole world has regressed to giant feudal territories under the rule of whichever rear end in a top hat and their minions had the supermight to become a warlord. And it follows the ragtag team of resistance fighters trying to figure out how to kill their invulnerable despots.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

weird take, i doubt it's explicitly stated she's first generation

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
All people of mixed heritage are only allowed to eat specific foods related to said heritage, or else it's problematic
- Some clown on the internet

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Holy hell was that a crazy Finale. Remember in Man of Steel/BvS when they weakly try to illustrate the sheer scale of destruction a superhuman can wreck on society? But it was mostly more of the same, just buildings getting wrecked. Mark vs Nolan was like that without pulling any punches on the human toll. From the subway to the collapsing building, Nolan is repeatedly showing his disdain for humanity as a whole in a really abusive way. It's like some abusive father killing a pet rabbit in front of his son to 'teach' him not to get too attached to animals he'll easily outlive.

Also, probably not a good idea to say out loud "whew that was a close call! Thought I was a goner for sure." when you just tumbled out of an airplane.

One minor gripe I do have is that Monster Girl de ages when she transforms, to the point of needing to limit her training. Yet she hulks out to make this big point to knock Rex Splode down a peg in the auditions, and in this episode she transforms... just to help clean? I figured it would be more interesting if it was like Simon Petrikov where using his crown is an act of absolute desperation but for something that has permanent consequences she seems to transform an awful lot.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Panfilo posted:

Holy hell was that a crazy Finale. Remember in Man of Steel/BvS when they weakly try to illustrate the sheer scale of destruction a superhuman can wreck on society? But it was mostly more of the same, just buildings getting wrecked. Mark vs Nolan was like that without pulling any punches on the human toll. From the subway to the collapsing building, Nolan is repeatedly showing his disdain for humanity as a whole in a really abusive way. It's like some abusive father killing a pet rabbit in front of his son to 'teach' him not to get too attached to animals he'll easily outlive.

Also, probably not a good idea to say out loud "whew that was a close call! Thought I was a goner for sure." when you just tumbled out of an airplane.

One minor gripe I do have is that Monster Girl de ages when she transforms, to the point of needing to limit her training. Yet she hulks out to make this big point to knock Rex Splode down a peg in the auditions, and in this episode she transforms... just to help clean? I figured it would be more interesting if it was like Simon Petrikov where using his crown is an act of absolute desperation but for something that has permanent consequences she seems to transform an awful lot.

She loses her cool in the tryouts when Rex is teasing her.

At the end of the latest episode she transforms to defend Rex from Samson and transforms back when they start cleaning.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

All people of mixed heritage are only allowed to eat specific foods related to said heritage, or else it's problematic
- Some clown on the internet

I’d shrug it off but he was the art director and one of the storyboard revisionists on the show.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ccs posted:

Like is this a valid criticism? I dunno. Depends how many generations Debbie’s family has been in the US and if they were the type of immigrants to try to fully convert to traditions of host countries, like how my mom never learned Norwegian cause back then immigrant parents just wanted their kids to fully integrate into US culture. It could have been neat for them to use chopsticks or something but I get why the writers didn’t since coming from the comic it’s unclear what Debbie’s cultural background is.

I feel like Amber was written more like a poc character, but also she comes across as upper middle class suburbanite just like in the comics, although she has more social concerns and volunteers after school. Hrmm

It's dumb as poo poo, and smells of dumbass twinkie/banana insults. Especially since we don't actually spend that much time on dinner menu breakdowns or mention any member of Debbie's extended family in any way. Also South Korean modern interior design isn't generally super different than what their house looks like anyway.

I'd say it's weirder that the house of the travel writing, pop on over to Italy for some wine, alien has very little "foreign" accoutrements than it is for the house of an Nth generation American-Korean.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Morrow posted:

Plus, Nolan was definitely accelerating into people.

He was definitely not. In the exterior shot we see they were standing still relative to the platform.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ccs posted:

What does this guy get out of this? These tweets have barely any exposure,p but they're public enough that they will be visible for his career and to his co-workers. He is insulting his ex-cohort, presuming he speaks on behalf of massive actors, turning on his previous company, and damaging a product he obviously cares about and put his heart into. It seems like career suicide so he can, what, get ten people to reconsider POC representation in a single (already progressive) show?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

People gonna people.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I don't know. I never read the comics so don't have any nostalgia or emotional investment in this, and the ending was very.. boring? It had a lot of gore, sure, but no interesting character interactions (in fact, the show explicitly AVOIDED these by ensuring Mark just..ignored his mom crying? Which is fine in character whatever), there's nothing here to care about unless you loved Degrassi or some other teen soap opera. I dunno. If it explicitly markets itself as a show for teens, that's fine I guess, but there's nothing else here.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ccs posted:

I was kind of curious about this so I looked to see if there were any articles out there about Sandra Oh actually eats

quote:

Sandra grew up eating Korean food, and learned how to cook by watching her mom in the kitchen. "I would hang out with her and eat the things," she told The New Potato. (Cooking skills run in the family: Sandra says her brother and sister are excellent cooks, too.)

When she's not on set, Sandra spends a lot of time in her kitchen. "I have a lot more time to cook. I love cooking for my friends," she told Lynn Chen on The Actor's Diet podcast. "I find cooking so...deeply fulfilling."

When she cooks, though, she typically sticks to American food and relies on a combo of intuition and cookbooks (Mark Bittman is a fave). "Korean food is not so easy to cook," she told Chen. "It's very labor intensive."

When she gets a hankering for Korean food, she gets her fix from LA's Korea Town, she said.

Since Sandra grew up in Canada, though, you'd better believe its influence has made its way onto her plate.

So the actor in question eats mostly American (and Canadian) food because Korean food is hard.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not one Viltrumite dish served the entire show....

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

zoux posted:

Not one Viltrumite dish served the entire show....

It's probably literally just a plate of rocks, so that only those with the hardest teeth survive.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

There was a similar debate over here in the UK about Luther, and how the character doesn't really interact with the Black-Caribbean culture he is supposedly from, given he's portrayed by Idris Elba.

Ultimately it depends on the setting the character is in - I'd expect a upper-middle class assimilated immigrant to have less connection than a first-generation working class immigrant - and whether you actually need to focus on ethnicity everytime you deviate from the default.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

What does this guy get out of this? These tweets have barely any exposure,p but they're public enough that they will be visible for his career and to his co-workers. He is insulting his ex-cohort, presuming he speaks on behalf of massive actors, turning on his previous company, and damaging a product he obviously cares about and put his heart into. It seems like career suicide so he can, what, get ten people to reconsider POC representation in a single (already progressive) show?

Yeah it seems odd. I’m going to hazard a guess that during the show he pitched the idea that they should eat with chopsticks and it was shot down, so this has become a sticking point about bad representation. A friend of mine is a first generation Korean immigrant so I’m gonna check what he thinks.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Isn't carefully calling attention to cultural differences that don't play into the story at all kind of exactly the opposite of representation?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

More. Food. Representation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

BurritoJustice posted:

It sounds like they aren't the art director for the second season, so it might be them attacking the show because they didn't get re-hired.