Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dizz posted:

Are there any decent puzzlers or sims where you can casually interact with stuff and not ram my fists into fragile furniture? seems like the VR library is still kinda stale with shooters.

I know VRChat has some games on it but it also seems sparse.

Something casual, chilly and with a good amount of interaction could be Vacation Simulator.

It also depends on what you refer as puzzlers. If it's pure puzzles, there isn't a lot. Gadgeteer, Cubism, Fantastic Contraption, Keep talking and nobody explodes, I guess there will be a few more on Steam.

If you accept adventure-puzzlers there are a good amount. Red Matter, Myst, The Room Vr, Shadow Point, A Fisherman's Tale, Maskmaker, Floor Plan 2, Obduction, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Puzzling Places is a great chill puzzler, 3D jigsaws

https://sidequestvr.com/app/809/puzzling-places-prototype

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Speaking of adventure games, Naau has launched officially
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMuWCIPEaZo

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

mutata posted:

No engines except Source use brushes for geometry anymore.

If you're working in Unity, Bakery is worth looking into and investing in. Unity's default light baking is pretty abysmal.

Source 2 has done away with brushes completely too, it's all polygon based now.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
The Talos Principle is chill, looks good in VR and is an easy recommend if you don't punch things when you're stuck at a puzzle.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Marxalot posted:

Project wingman is very much not a sim but you can play it with an xbone controller or a hotas(allegedly) while chilling in your chair.

It’s as playable with HOTAS as Ace Combat is - barely. If it didn’t have the half baked support that it does have, it’d get a lot of hate. Similar happened to House of the Dying Sun - another game in that vein that comes highly recommended.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It’s as playable with HOTAS as Ace Combat is - barely. If it didn’t have the half baked support that it does have, it’d get a lot of hate. Similar happened to House of the Dying Sun - another game in that vein that comes highly recommended.

I gave it a solid 40 minutes of trying to correctly set up my HOTAS on PW before giving up and refunding. If you want me to buy a game where you fly jets, spend some time making some baked in settings for HOTAS

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

DoubleT2172 posted:

I gave it a solid 40 minutes of trying to correctly set up my HOTAS on PW before giving up and refunding. If you want me to buy a game where you fly jets, spend some time making some baked in settings for HOTAS

This is exactly the attitude that people come into it with and it just, it's not a HOTAS game. It shouldn't even have what little HOTAS support it does have, playing that way is utterly miserable. You don't have a throttle, you have an accelerate button and a brake button. It's like playing Burnout with a wheel - sure, it vaguely applies the same, but its designed with a different control system in mind.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Turin Turambar posted:

Yep, this page already mention a 'Oculus for business account'
https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/ofb/ofb-developer-reference/

Basically it allows you to use a quest without having to connect it to your personal social profile.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Rectus posted:

Source 2 has done away with brushes completely too, it's all polygon based now.

Shows how often I check in with Source, lol.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
So just in-case anyone here was going crazy trying to fix an issue with Pavlov crashing on launch... there's a bug with gen 11 intel processors and it wont launch for anyone with one of those cpu's. no eta on a fix beyond "they hope they can debug"

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Joystick stuff

The blowback against their half-baked HOTAS support is 100% on the Project Wingman devs and marketers. The PW team could have avoided people "coming into it" with that expectation simply by not setting up that expectation, but they talked up HOTAS support during development and boast it on the Steam page. The matter of whether or not PW game "should" be played with a joystick is irrelevant, and will always be irrelevant unless the devs update the game's advertising to remove any expectations of joystick/HOTAS support.

I'm glad you brought up House of the Dying Sun, because it provides a perfect counterpoint to PW. The HotDS dev made a point to say that HotDS was designed solely around Xbox gamepads and would not have any official support for joysticks (it had the standard Unity control mapper that was entirely YMMV). He did not set up any expectation that you should view joystick support as a feature when deciding whether or not to buy the game, and recommended against even trying to make it work. So it releases, the joystick support blows, and I have zero problem with it, because I had no reason to expect it to work. I got exactly what I paid for.

I'll bring up Star Wars Squadrons as a game that, at launch, had a similar problem as PW. SWS may not be a game that "needs" flight controllers (it has a simple arcade flight model with twitchy ships and heavy aim assist, principally designed around gamepads), but they specifically talked up joystick support in advertising, and thus they were rightly slammed when their joystick support had major issues (which, to their credit, they fixed).

If a dev touts HOTAS support, which the PW devs absolutely did, then the game should support it well. If it doesn't, then people are right to be disappointed, and the matter of whether or not a game is "sim" enough for a joystick is an irrelevant conversation among consumers. If you want to talk about whether or not it's worthwhile to have HOTAS controls in this type of game, then ask the devs, who said "yes, it is worthwhile," why they felt the need to dedicate any development and marketing resources toward it. Wagging your finger at consumers for expecting an advertised feature to work is weird.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lacrosse posted:

I've been working on Unity stuff for 6 months now and most of the time I want to just chuck it out a window. Light baking sucks, terrain sucks; if you want anything to work well you need an expensive paid asset. I'm finally getting the hang of it but it was a hard fought victory to get where I am.

To be fair I'm using Unity 2018 since I'm making VRChat worlds so newer versions might be easier to work with.

Honestly older versions are preferable. Unity IMO is trying too hard to compete with Unreal so they have taken what used to be the "fast simple indie game engine" and now its becoming intensely complicated.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also every game dev I see on Twitter who works in Unity seems to absolutely despise it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I mean its great for what it is still, and a decade ago or two we didn't have the same options for the same prices. Unreal is cool but working with it is a good bit harder still. Godot is cool but not super efficient for 3d.

I just wish they would focus more on making it easy to use and building tools for indies, instead of trying to chase Unreal on HD rendering capability.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Shine posted:

The blowback against their half-baked HOTAS support is 100% on the Project Wingman devs and marketers. The PW team could have avoided people "coming into it" with that expectation simply by not setting up that expectation, but they talked up HOTAS support during development and boast it on the Steam page. The matter of whether or not PW game "should" be played with a joystick is irrelevant, and will always be irrelevant unless the devs update the game's advertising to remove any expectations of joystick/HOTAS support.

I'm glad you brought up House of the Dying Sun, because it provides a perfect counterpoint to PW. The HotDS dev made a point to say that HotDS was designed solely around Xbox gamepads and would not have any official support for joysticks (it had the standard Unity control mapper that was entirely YMMV). He did not set up any expectation that you should view joystick support as a feature when deciding whether or not to buy the game, and recommended against even trying to make it work. So it releases, the joystick support blows, and I have zero problem with it, because I had no reason to expect it to work. I got exactly what I paid for.

I'll bring up Star Wars Squadrons as a game that, at launch, had a similar problem as PW. SWS may not be a game that "needs" flight controllers (it has a simple arcade flight model with twitchy ships and heavy aim assist, principally designed around gamepads), but they specifically talked up joystick support in advertising, and thus they were rightly slammed when their joystick support had major issues (which, to their credit, they fixed).

If a dev touts HOTAS support, which the PW devs absolutely did, then the game should support it well. If it doesn't, then people are right to be disappointed, and the matter of whether or not a game is "sim" enough for a joystick is an irrelevant conversation among consumers. If you want to talk about whether or not it's worthwhile to have HOTAS controls in this type of game, then ask the devs, who said "yes, it is worthwhile," why they felt the need to dedicate any development and marketing resources toward it. Wagging your finger at consumers for expecting an advertised feature to work is weird.

Yes. You promise it, and you should deliver it. They promised it because it's an expected feature. It shouldn't be an expected feature. Both the developer and the customers are in the wrong there, developer to a greater extent because they had the final say.

HotDS had official support. It was a pain in the rear end for the developer, and they only put it in because of public demand. They talked about it a fair amount on both twitter and the thread on these forums. They added an extra disclaimer and distanced themselves from the more nuanced take because of the poor quality of the implementation because again, HOTAS support is difficult.

Star Wars Squadrons is absolutely a game that plays better with HOTAS, the aim assists being an accessibility tool primarily for more the wider audience they were aiming for. The throttle is intended to be controlled in an analog fashion, and you have a lot of buttons you have to be pushing. The problems there were still problems, and it's good that they got fixed. They got fixed by a full studio with EA money. PW is a one man band.

Again, I won't forgive the issues. They just shouldn't have even possibly been issues in the first place. And even if they launched without HOTAS support, it'd be this same thing but even louder as people demand to use their joysticks in a game ill suited to it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you say you're going to have HOTAS support on the store page, and then don't have HOTAS support that isn't even remotely on the customers.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

njsykora posted:

Also every game dev I see on Twitter who works in Unity seems to absolutely despise it.

Well, that's Twitter.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

njsykora posted:

If you say you're going to have HOTAS support on the store page, and then don't have HOTAS support that isn't even remotely on the customers.

There is support. It's bad. It's there because of customer demand.

I'll also note that I've played plenty of actual flight sims with equally bad config menus.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

NRVNQSR posted:

Well, that's Twitter.

No thats unity.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Turin Turambar posted:

Is this good? This looks like extremely my poo poo, something I've wanted in VR for a while

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Shine posted:

"Allegedly" was the key word for me. It didn't play nicely with my HOTAS at all.

Yeah I immediately refunded it when I realized it was a 2d game with vr on top.

njsykora posted:

People don’t generally go out of their way to give praise, but bitching comes easily!

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Also Unity really isn't bad, you're gonna have complaints about any game engine. The question is whether or not it's right for your needs and even more importantly, whether you find out whether or not it's right for your needs before you're in too deep to change your mind now. A lot of the complaints I've seen leveled at Unity come from people who use it all the time anyway and complain about it in the same way people complain about Blender or any other sort of software that is a core part of some work you're doing.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

mutata posted:

No engines except Source use brushes for geometry anymore.

If you're working in Unity, Bakery is worth looking into and investing in. Unity's default light baking is pretty abysmal.

I've bought Bakery, Terrain Composer 2, and now I'm looking at Super Combiner for making texture atlases. I will not be defeated by Unity! :argh:

I guess I just expected the built-in tools to not be absolute garbage but yeah it's not so bad once you start using add-ons.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Glagha posted:

Also Unity really isn't bad, you're gonna have complaints about any game engine. The question is whether or not it's right for your needs and even more importantly, whether you find out whether or not it's right for your needs before you're in too deep to change your mind now. A lot of the complaints I've seen leveled at Unity come from people who use it all the time anyway and complain about it in the same way people complain about Blender or any other sort of software that is a core part of some work you're doing.

A good friend of mine solved this debate by ... simply writing his own graphics engine. Granted, it's probably easier to pull things together in OpenGL than it used to be, but that's one way to go about it if you're a huge math nerd. :v:

Turin Turambar posted:

I am also very curious if this is any good, since it looks pretty much like current gen VR mechanics puzzle game.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Dizz posted:

Are there any decent puzzlers or sims where you can casually interact with stuff and not ram my fists into fragile furniture? seems like the VR library is still kinda stale with shooters.

I know VRChat has some games on it but it also seems sparse.

I Expect You to Die is a good choice for a beginner VR adventure / puzzler. You play it entirely seated, but it still takes full advantage of VR. It goes on sale pretty often, and the intro / credits sequence is super-cool.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I do have to say I find the whole "it's arcadey so you shouldn't expect a HOTAS to work with it" argument a bit funny. Like, Outrun and San Francisco Rush still used wheels and pedals in arcades. After Burner II and Ace Combat still used a throttle and flight stick. Using realistic specialized controllers with crazy game-y physics was kind of the arcade's whole thing, it was one of the central aspects that couldn't be easily replicated at home even as raw processing power started to catch up.

I don't really have a horse in the whole Project Wingman race either way (though I do think they should deliver what they promise, and do so with a reasonable level of quality), but the core defense of "it's not realistic so why would it need a HOTAS" feels fundamentally flawed to me. If it's designed around a controller to the exclusion of all else, fair enough, but there's more to controller choice than just realism (and if it's only designed for a controller from the ground up, don't say you support other control options).

sethsez fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 2, 2021

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Baby Proof posted:

I Expect You to Die is a good choice for a beginner VR adventure / puzzler. You play it entirely seated, but it still takes full advantage of VR. It goes on sale pretty often, and the intro / credits sequence is super-cool.

I've considered it, but i did see a stream of a stage of it and it seemed frustrating because when you die, the stage starts completely from the start.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dizz posted:

I've considered it, but i did see a stream of a stage of it and it seemed frustrating because when you die, the stage starts completely from the start.

Yeaaah, I like I Expect You To Die, but it is very much a game built on learning from failure. The game loop is "Do A, Do B, Die, Do A, Do B, Dodge C this time, Fail...."

It is theoretically possible to get it all right in a single go, but it's extremely doubtful you will. The last DLC level also has some bad moments that can fail just by pure bad luck too. Specifically; trying to catch the thrown radioactive container with the robot arm

If you want a fun simple adventure game in VR, give Floor Plan a try. Elevator to the Moon's pretty decent as well.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeaaah, I like I Expect You To Die, but it is very much a game built on learning from failure. The game loop is "Do A, Do B, Die, Do A, Do B, Dodge C this time, Fail...."

It is theoretically possible to get it all right in a single go, but it's extremely doubtful you will. The last DLC level also has some bad moments that can fail just by pure bad luck too. Specifically; trying to catch the thrown radioactive container with the robot arm

If you want a fun simple adventure game in VR, give Floor Plan a try. Elevator to the Moon's pretty decent as well.

I actually caught Floor plan a while ago and it's sitting in my cart now. if it's decent I might also grab the sequel as well. Most likely considering Vacation Simulator as well.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Is Budget Cuts 2 supposed to be super hard? I keep failing to use this crossbow to kill enemies and one missed shot = death.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuts and Gum posted:

Is Budget Cuts 2 supposed to be super hard? I keep failing to use this crossbow to kill enemies and one missed shot = death.

Budget Cuts is not really a combat game, it's a stealth game, so if you're spotted just Teleport away and hide. Use your bow to pick off targets from afar to get rid of stuff that you can't sneak by, and stab up close with knives and scissors from behind.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Budget Cuts 2 is a harder game in a couple of places compared to the first, but Neddy Seagoon's advice will get you through until almost the very end.*

*spoilers for the very end I loving hate the final section where the game becomes a speed/dexterity/memorization challenge with the burnt out fuses and the tubes all losing power. Uugh, gently caress that place hard.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nothing particularly surprising this month. Q2 is still gaining users (e: actually growing faster, past month was +1.34%, the Air Link effect?), with Index the only one holding up, and the previous gen devices slowly disappearing.
Total VR users decrease a small amount but let's remember it means it isn't growing as strong as Steam itself.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 2, 2021

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

im still rocking HTC vive but i wish it was easier to look at things. chances are I will just save up for whatever next VR set comes out and is not poo poo

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

sethsez posted:

If it's designed around a controller to the exclusion of all else, fair enough, but there's more to controller choice than just realism (and if it's only designed for a controller from the ground up, don't say you support other control options).

This is what I’m saying. The arcades tune performance to the one control system they ship with. Console Ace Combat joysticks are specific ones that are packaged with the game as a special edition. PC HOTAS are a huge variety of bespoke devices with different standards.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Tip posted:

Is anyone else having trouble running SteamVR games over Air Link?

I'm following the general advice of adding them to my oculus library and launching them from there but they generally fail to launch properly.

I launch the game, my oculus home disappears, I go into a void for a minute, then oculus home launches again running like poo poo. When I pull up my desktop I can see that the game has loaded and there's a window but it's not displaying to my headset.

I've also tried launching them from Steam on my desktop but that doesn't help.
Double tap/tap the right controller menu button?
It's not trying to run off an integrated graphics on your cpu is it? That's apparently a thing. "Windows scheduling" to fix.

It does that to me sometimes, but it always works eventually.

I did have a VRchat room recently that was hard to get over 30-45fps (RTX 3080) but others were crashing and stuff so, I dunno.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

sethsez posted:

Like, Outrun and San Francisco Rush still used wheels and pedals in arcades

rock bottom standards crew checking in

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are you disparaging the good name of San Francisco Rush??

:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

This is what I’m saying. The arcades tune performance to the one control system they ship with. Console Ace Combat joysticks are specific ones that are packaged with the game as a special edition. PC HOTAS are a huge variety of bespoke devices with different standards.

different standards? I am talking out of my rear end, but even my old rear end Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 is just an x-input device with button 1, 2, 3, 4, etc

And looking at the settings in windows it looks like any other input device, a bunch of button in numbered order and the visual of the sticks location. I guess the throttle would be more difficult.

Can anyone with knowledge on the subject explain why HOTAS support is so finicky?