Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

live with fruit posted:

Karli is the protagonist, in that she's the one driving the action

So not the protagonist then? Because the definition of protagonist has nothing to do with driving the action, and never has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Sanguinia posted:

So when Malcolm X said it was either going to be the Ballot or the Bullet, was he being a Shirtless Viking Guy rather than a leftist? You're looking at a TV show that deliberately and repeatedly makes a distinction between violence in support of progressive ideals and regressive ideals and saying that its a meaningless distinction because of recency bias.
Remind me of the time Malcolm X took a truck full of people hostage? Blew up building full of workers?

Literally, enlighten me on this deep-seated use of force as a tool of political power by the powerless -- the blacks, the Jews, the gays, the refugees, the indigenous peoples -- instead of a privilege reserved for those who already have the power to deploy violence? The only people who have ever been a legitimate threat to the ruling class are other members of the ruling class. That's the way it's always been.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Given the problem Sam had with Karli was her methodology and not her ideology, maybe that's the point?
The point gets a little muddled, then, when he reprimands someone for taking Karli to task as a terrorist which is an absolutely, objectively accurate description of her methodology.

In this show's fiction, Karli espouses leftist ideology yes, but is also saddled with right-wing methodology. Any real-world messages we can take away from this are naturally going to be really conflicting, which is why we can see so many complaints about it being centrist. And I don't think it's actually centrist, exactly, but again...the specific instance here I'm referring to has Sam berating someone for using the terrorism scare tactic buzzword against a left-wing activist, which would be completely fatuous in the real world, yes, but one-hundred percent appropriate in this fictive context.

The show's Big Themes just don't stand up to scrutiny. They fall apart with the least bit of critical thinking.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

So not the protagonist then? Because the definition of protagonist has nothing to do with driving the action, and never has.

What is the definition of protagonist then?

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

I'm not trying to draw too deep a parallel, but the Red Army Faction was founded as a direct response to what they perceived as a failure of the de-Nazification process in post-war Germany. The GRC aren't Nazis, but it's the same rough situation and the Flag Smashers follow the same rough trajectory. They see the leaders as the same imperialists who were in charge before the crisis event that divided the world and continuing their work, so they go outside their country to train (or in this case, get the Serum) and form a guerilla group. The results are also about the same, although the Flag Smashers speedrun it - attacks on installations resulting in civilian casualties, escalating to direct attempts to kidnap and murder senior figures in the "regime", and finally almost the entire leadership dying in custody under suspicious circumstances.

drat you got a good point, like weakest point about the Weather Underground and the fate of what happened to Karli and the Red Army Faction would be pretty on the nose even if people won't admit it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Boxman posted:

The problem is that GRC guy was using the terrorist label to shut down discussion. I don't think it's the label so much as the fact that it's used as a conversation ender, which is absolutely a thing in the real world too. Like, after 9/11, the anti-war movement was the place to find people asking "what happened to make people hate the US this much," and the answer was "because the TERRORISTS hate our FREEDOMS." I'd have to look at the actual scene again, but I think the same thing happened in the show, where GRC guy wanted to plow through the concerns of the refugees by just saying "they're led by a terrorist." Which is true, but shuts down discourse in a way that doesn't actually solve problems.

All that said, I'll absolutely concede that the show doesn't get that deep into these issues. It might be babbys first discourse, but for the TV equivalent of a summer blockbuster, I think "don't just dismiss them as terrorists, there are actual human concerns that motivate them" is a decent stance to take.

Especially when you consider that a whole poo poo-load of "babbys" watching this show have never had even one discourse.

Edited to add that if I went over six weeks and many many pages upthread I could find my own quote referencing Werner Herzog on The Boondocks and generally mocking the idea that a Disney+ show would have anything of substance to say on the African-American experience. I was damned wrong in that mockery. This was much, much more than I ever expected on a Disney+ show.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 1, 2021

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BrianWilly posted:

Remind me of the time Malcolm X took a truck full of people hostage? Blew up building full of workers?

Literally, enlighten me on this deep-seated use of force as a tool of political power by the powerless -- the blacks, the Jews, the gays, the refugees, the indigenous peoples -- instead of a privilege reserved for those who already have the power to deploy violence? The only people who have ever been a legitimate threat to the ruling class are other members of the ruling class. That's the way it's always been.

My dude read a loving history book the loving french revolution, the hatian revolution, the American revolution, russian revolution, cuban revolution and other violent acts against politicians and militaries

It is rarer for there to be a real socioeconomic change in a country without violent action than with one.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
its disingenuous to call this "Baby's First Discourse"

The show may be clunky and overexecuting in some ways but this a more nuanced take on race in this mainstream space than we've maybe ever seen in genre movies. I'm sure there's lots of indie sci-fi and fantasy flicks with a deeper level of discourse but this actually says something about race in America and goes beyond the surface level. It's not high level doctoral theory about sociological implications of tuskeegee or anything of that level, but it goes much deeper than the extremely milqueoast "it's hard to be black in America" which I think we've all seen a million times and that's more of what I'd call Baby's first anything.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
The show suggests that the appropriate way to achieve justice is by stirring public rebukes and not through violence.

Even though the Avengers solve 99% of their problems through violence.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I don't think this show is anything particularly special as far as it's themes and message, and it's largely undercut by giving Walker a sympathetic moment and chance at a future while killing off Karli's

I enjoyed it for what it was, but it is very much just normal liberal doctrine of "more black and women imperialists plz"

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Ravel posted:

The show suggests that the appropriate way to achieve justice is by stirring public rebukes and not through violence.

To be fair, most of the time the Avengers try to solve their problems though methods OTHER than Violence only for the villains to visit violence upon them. They're not the PREvengers after all!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ravel posted:

I mean, it was more 'the ballot or the bullet', because the rebuke was basically 'if you don't want another, more extreme Karli you have to listen to these people'.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Like the outcome of this thing is probably something like "Karli's law" that provides payment to help resettle and make housing for those displaced in their countries. But also "oddly" enough gives the GRC insanely more power and forces those countries to play ball with the Americans on more American nonsense like bases and other military poo poo.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

live with fruit posted:

What is the definition of protagonist then?

A protagonist is the person whose story you are following and the main point of view character for a story. That's kind of it, really. They normally represent the core theme or idea of a story in some form too, but pretty much anything else beyond being the person you experience the story through is just an addition to the role.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Dexo posted:

Like the outcome of this thing is probably something like "Karli's law" that provides payment to help resettle and make housing for those displaced in their countries. But also "oddly" enough gives the GRC insanely more power and forces those countries to play ball with the Americans on more American nonsense like bases and other military poo poo.

The GRC isn't an American organization. The MCU has seemingly gone out of its way to put international organizations above the Avengers.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Dexo posted:

My dude read a loving history book the loving french revolution, the hatian revolution, the American revolution, russian revolution, cuban revolution and other violent acts against politicians and militaries

It is rarer for there to be a real socioeconomic change in a country without violent action than with one.

Every one of those except the Haitian revolution was successful because the military, local police forces, or both joined the revolution. They weren't a tiny force of guerrillas overthrowing the systems of power.

The MCU equivalent would be Karli and Sam talking it out in Latvia and Sam calling in the rest of the Avengers to replace the GRC.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
The entire point the show is trying to make is that both Walker and Karli start out meaning well in their respective ways, but they both took things way way too far, completely lost perspective, and caused collateral damage. The road to hell and all that.

The GRC/Flagsmashers are clearly stand-ins for the US culture wars, but the show itself doesn't really have a position on the conflict itself. It's more interested in the idea of how any ideological position can become destructive if the individuals lose awareness and restraint. See Sams 'both sides' speech at the end.

I can already hear some goons going 'pfft, melty centralists' about that, but a) its Disney, of course it's not going to have a strong political stance but more importantly b) the politics of the GRC or Flagsmashers is completely besides the point anyway. For both antagonists, it's classic tragic storytelling.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/MsMarvelNews/status/1388508117101580288

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
A story in which the Avengers are the motivating force in the story might have been starting with Sam and Bucky beating up the GRC and expropriating vaccines to redistribute it themselves to the people who need it the most.

We can acknowledge that the GRC are the ultimate villains, but because the agents don't act violently but via immoral legislation and contracts, the Avengers are impotent since they refuse to use violence proactively.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Not bad work on the costume, shoes could use some work tho

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
There's a CIA think tank somewhere that's high-fiving over manipulating the next generation of leftists into believing screeching on the internet over superhero shows not having enough blood-spattered praxis is equal to blood spattered praxis. Seriously: practice what you preach, buy a rifle, and go start a leftist revolutionary militia in the woods. Please, don't take your phones.

Goddamit, bring back the people wanting Bucky and Sam to gently caress, already.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Ravel posted:

A story in which the Avengers are the motivating force in the story might have been starting with Sam and Bucky beating up the GRC and expropriating vaccines to redistribute it themselves to the people who need it the most.

We can acknowledge that the GRC are the ultimate villains, but because the agents don't act violently but via immoral legislation and contracts, the Avengers are impotent since they refuse to use violence proactively.

So the Avengers use their powers to take down governments and rule the world?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The problem with this show is that it fundamentally views the world from the point of a corporation, though one that is staffed by at least some thoughtful people.

Right and Left are represented by John Walker and Karli. It’s a reasonably well-written show so both are shown to be good in some ways and flawed in others, though the show does more directly sympathise with Karli’s ideology (though since Walker is also the status quo, it more inherently supports that side too). However, what actually happens with these two sides? Walker is wrong-headed and fucks up massively, but ultimately can be reasoned with, and is a force for good in the end. Meanwhile Karli moves further and further into extremism, kills, or tries to kill, a lot of people and eventually simply has to be put down.

Is this an accurate view of the two sides in America currently? Because BLM’s body count hovers pretty close to zero, while this January the right attempted a fascist coup that would murder congresspeople, end democracy and install a dictator. This threat has also not yet subsided. Precisely who is going Too Far at the moment? A truer view of American politics right now would have had John Walker so enraged at the slight against him from the system that he went to murder the GRC himself, even as they passed laws that agreed with him, and the Flag Smashers teamed up with Sam to take him down.

But the reason that didn’t happen is the corporation’s own fears and concerns. They might not terribly like it if fascism took over, but it probably wouldn’t effect Disney’s bottom line much if it did happen. Alternatively, there is a real chance that if the left got in power that they might enact extremist policies, like demanding the appropriate regulation and taxation of theme parks in Florida.

That said, it could have been worse. For instance, both FATWS and Wonder Woman 1984 are centrist works, the former at least acknowledges that serious reforms need to be made in the world, while the latter’s entire message is that everything is great now, we shouldn’t change anything, and in fact it’s wrong to want to.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

live with fruit posted:

So the Avengers use their powers to take down governments and rule the world?

Only if you believe that's what resistance involves. What does proactive superpower responsibilities look like? Here's Graeber on the issue:

Graeber posted:

These “heroes” are purely reactionary, in the literal sense. They have no projects of their own, at least not in their role as heroes: as Clark Kent, Superman may be constantly trying, and failing, to get into Lois Lane’s pants, but as Superman, he is purely reactive. In fact, superheroes seem almost utterly lacking in imagination: like Bruce Wayne, who with all the money in the world can’t seem to think of anything to do with it other than to indulge in the occasional act of charity; it never seems to occur to Superman that he could easily carve free magic cities out of mountains.

Almost never do superheroes make, create, or build anything. The villains, in contrast, are endlessly creative. They are full of plans and projects and ideas.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

Goddamit, bring back the people wanting Bucky and Sam to gently caress, already.

Yeah, that scene with the wrench was pretty :quagmire:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think that both shows are attempting to make all the characters complicated. People are trying to then reconcile complicated with the more traditional clearly defined good/bad archetypes.

The thesis of show, Sam’s viewpoint, is that we should use our empathy to navigate this complexity, rather than resorting to simplistic thinking and violence.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Ravel posted:

Only if you believe that's what resistance involves. What does proactive superpower responsibilities look like? Here's Graeber on the issue:

But that's kind of the point: Do we want superpowered individuals deciding what's best for the world and carrying it out?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Heroes, like the Greek pantheon long before them, are foils, they're mirrors, not characters in and of themselves. Ascribing human qualities to them they explicitly do not have is a disingenuous argument at best and at worst entirely misses the point of the story.

This is kinda why I like Sam. The human quality he does not possess is "punching." He is uniquely positioned to seek and attempt to implement solutions that do not explicitly involve direct violence, which, while a sad state of affairs for storytelling that it is so unique, is still a goal worth pursuing even when simply murdering anyone who doesn't think the way you do* is quick and easy and you don't have to think about it any more. I mean unless time keeps going after you do the thing.

* - existential threat or no, if you are the sole arbiter of who represents a threat and there is no way to undo that particular action, well. You better be fuckin' infallible before I trust anyone with that level of responsibility. This goes for real life, too - Murder leaves no room for redemption or disagreement...and given how much I like to argue I'd be pretty unhappy if you took that away from me.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

live with fruit posted:

But that's kind of the point: Do we want superpowered individuals deciding what's best for the world and carrying it out?

In a superhero story the heroes assert their agency violently. And in the MCU the distinction between the Captain Americas and the rest is that their moral centre and sense of empathy is also mostly (always?) in the right place.

I would like to believe that a hero in, say, Apartheid South Africa wouldn't refuse to act because it wasn't state sanctioned.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
this show takes place six months after endgame. The GRC had to be thrown up overnight to deal with the fallout of 4 billion displaced people and there's no way they had anything even vaguely resembling reasonable staffing. The fact that a warehouse in the middle of Latvia had medicine that could have been distributed is a minor logistical miracle.

Karli is a terrorist because given the timelines she was walking down the street, saw a pile of dust turn into a person, and was all "Hanz, get the loving super soldier serum, this means war"

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Ravel posted:

In a superhero story the heroes assert their agency violently. And in the MCU the distinction between the Captain Americas and the rest is that their moral centre and sense of empathy is also mostly (always?) in the right place.

I would like to believe that a hero in, say, Apartheid South Africa wouldn't refuse to act because it wasn't state sanctioned.

Which side are we assuming this hero acts on? Is he more Sam or Walker?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Azhais posted:

this show takes place six months after endgame. The GRC had to be thrown up overnight to deal with the fallout of 4 billion displaced people and there's no way they had anything even vaguely resembling reasonable staffing. The fact that a warehouse in the middle of Latvia had medicine that could have been distributed is a minor logistical miracle.

Karli is a terrorist because given the timelines she was walking down the street, saw a pile of dust turn into a person, and was all "Hanz, get the loving super soldier serum, this means war"

The GRC's whole deal was shoving the people who'd been dusted back into their homes with no thought for anything that had happened in the last five years. Their plan was to violently and forcibly deport all of the people who had crossed borders to help populate places that had been left decimated by Endgame. By the sounds of it the original idea was that they were going to deliberately unleash a plague on the refugees to wipe them out but... yeah.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Azhais posted:

In the past I’ve used the story of the cursed fig tree to try to explain the anger of marginal people. To explain this : “Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it.”

The failure of a system to bear fruit when people are hungry is not excused by the fact that it isn’t the season for figs. People who are marginal or have been marginal get this immediately. People who have not been marginal don’t seem to. They waffle about the interpretation and focus on explaining away the failure.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

stev posted:

By the sounds of it the original idea was that they were going to deliberately unleash a plague on the refugees to wipe them out but... yeah.

Wait, that seems like quite a leap from the pre-existing "there might have been a plague storyline" leap.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Marsupial Ape posted:

That would mean an on screen MCU romance with more passion than one kiss per movie and we can't be having that. Marvel properties are amazingly asexual. A polygon article went through all the kisses in the MCU and they're pretty lackluster.

Also Bucky and Sarah getting together would be funnier because of how much Sam would hate it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Azhais posted:

There were a few extra steps involved. The real sequence would have been: Karli walks down the street and sees a pile of dust turn into a person. That returned person then kicks Karli and her family out of his former home onto the streets and also takes back their job. At that point Karli and her family get stuck in a displaced persons camp where most of them die of diseases due to lack of medicine. Karli ends up in Madripoor (likely sucking off guys in alleys for food money because corrupt criminal cities are kind of tough on cute teenage girls with no means of support) where she hooks up with Sharon, meets some like-minded people and after all that horrible poo poo was "Hanz, get the loving SSS, this really does mean war."

stev posted:

The GRC's whole deal was shoving the people who'd been dusted back into their homes with no thought for anything that had happened in the last five years. Their plan was to violently and forcibly deport all of the people who had crossed borders to help populate places that had been left decimated by Endgame. By the sounds of it the original idea was that they were going to deliberately unleash a plague on the refugees to wipe them out but... yeah.

The plague plan was apparently going to be Karli's. She was going to unleash some virus with the idea of killing off all the Returned people and take the world back to the Thanos state. And confused story-telling via the Flag-smasher or not, I'm really glad that didn't happen and that Karli and her people were presented as folks with a righteous cause who used unacceptable methods in pursuit of that cause.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Wait, that seems like quite a leap from the pre-existing "there might have been a plague storyline" leap.

I thought the idea was that the Flag Smashers wanted to unleash a virus that had come and gone during the blip.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

live with fruit posted:

I thought the idea was that the Flag Smashers wanted to unleash a virus that had come and gone during the blip.

Unless I missed something I think that the showrunners have actively denied that there was a pandemic storyline so its all just speculation. It starts with "a storyline had to be cut because of the pandemic" then moves to "the editing on Karli's mother figure dying is weird and might have been overdubbed from a pandemic storyline" to now apparently "the GRC/Flag Smashers were unleashing a pandemic as overtly comic book villain maneuvers to wipe out millions/billions."

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Solenna posted:

Also Bucky and Sarah getting together would be funnier because of how much Sam would hate it.

I hope they DO write Bucky and Sarah getting together, and are not shy about one of their heroes actually trying to have a normal relationship and new family.

It would be nice, I don't know. Oh and yes, Sam's reaction to it would be so much fun.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

RatHat posted:

For kills only in the show it’s gotta be Sharon, direct or indirect.

Speaking of which, did Bucky actually kill anyone in the whole show? Besides the flashback kills.

He didn't. He was fighting exclusively to disable or disarm, and didn't kill even when he easily could have (like with the knife fight, where he embeds the knife into the floor as a pointed warning). Here's the Winter Soldier stunt double talking a little bit about what they were doing with Bucky's fighting:

https://twitter.com/falconsoldierTV/status/1388197409277157376.

"You can't dethrone the king" is pretty bad-rear end, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Everyone posted:

The plague plan was apparently going to be Karli's. She was going to unleash some virus with the idea of killing off all the Returned people and take the world back to the Thanos state. And confused story-telling via the Flag-smasher or not, I'm really glad that didn't happen and that Karli and her people were presented as folks with a righteous cause who used unacceptable methods in pursuit of that cause.

Yeah, I am glad the Flag Smashers weren't explicitly "Thanos was good, actually".

The thing about the Snap and the Blip that makes it hard to completely map onto the real world haves and have nots is that the Snap was egalitarian. Just as many powerful people got dusted as didn't. So the idea that the powers that be would come down favoring one side over the other doesn't exactly track. Though I guess what the show sort of clumsily said is the drive is to return to status quo ante bellum.