Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
As someone who's never played any game like this before, would DW8 XL Complete Edition be a good one to start with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, he does do that. It's just that he also has his own giant robot for when he gets serious.

Don't forget that his horse also has its own giant robot, which is also a horse, which Master Asia's giant robot rides. G Gundam is magical

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oldstench posted:

As someone who's never played any game like this before, would DW8 XL Complete Edition be a good one to start with?

Yes, it's still sort of the series standard given how weird and divisive 9 was. It feels a bit old compared to, say, the Nintendo ones but it's still good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oldstench posted:

Yeah, just dont expect to make much sense out the RotTK story from it lol

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Oldstench posted:

I'd say so. It's the best of the main DW games (imo) and has the most content.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, just dont expect to make much sense out the RotTK story from it lol

If you're looking for one with a more coherent telling of the story, DW7 is a good buy as well; gameplaywise it's like a slightly rougher, worse, DW8XL, but still a perfectly good musou game, and probably a little cheaper. But if you don't care too much about the story, 8XL is probably the best one you can get right now.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Either DW8XL or SW4 (not 4-2 or SoS) are probably the best to start off with, 8XL has more content, SW4 feels a bit more polished to me, aside from the silly text lag thing.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

RoyalScion posted:

Either DW8XL or SW4 (not 4-2 or SoS) are probably the best to start off with, 8XL has more content, SW4 feels a bit more polished to me, aside from the silly text lag thing.

What's wrong with SW4-2?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Morter posted:

What's wrong with SW4-2?

It lacks Chronicle Mode, which is probably the most fun part of SW4. It's a great starting point, especially since SW4-2 assumes you've played all of SW4.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with it, but Chronicles mode is better than the tower and the storylines of SW4 are better than the character-specific storylines in SW4-2 (opinion, of course).

It's not a bad game, just if I had to pick one I'd probably pick the original (and probably SoS) over it.

I also really like SoS's music, for whatever that's worth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4h_4iLCBZ0

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
According to 6-year-old gamefaqs posts, DW8XL looks like poo poo on PC compared to PS4 and controllers don't work. Is this still true?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

My xbox controller definitely worked, dont recall graphics

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
It uses the PS3 version as the base apparently and has no built in AA

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The graphics in DW8XL on PC never stood out to me as "bad" but I've always been more of a FPS snob than a quality snob; it could be bad, but never in a way that I noticed or cared about.

I play on a PS4 controller and it works just fine, though I can't recall off the top of my head what the button prompt situation is. I remember that DW7 had no controller button prompts at all, it gave you PC prompts, 8 might be the same? Either way, it's perfectly playable as long as you can remember what the buttons are.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Got the Persona Musou for switch, on sale.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Ive never played a Dynasty Warriors: Empires game before and I already played through DW8XL. Should I get DW8: Empires since its $20 on Steam right now? The Empires games always seemed interesting to me, but I never got one before for various reasons. This one looks pretty fun, but it has some pretty bad reviews. The few I read were kinda vague though or complaining about normal DW8 gameplay, which I already know that I like. Im mostly worried that its buggy or a really terrible unplayable port or something

The added strategic layer looks cool to me; Im not expecting anything super complicated, just something to add a small amount of depth or stakes to each fight. Anyone here play it before and recommend it or not?

Reive
May 21, 2009

I would also like to know, I tried SW4 Empires before and decidedly didn't like it but I've also heard later that is one of the worst empire games so Idk, I really like DW8XL and want to see what the strategy elements are like

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Ive never played a Dynasty Warriors: Empires game before and I already played through DW8XL. Should I get DW8: Empires since its $20 on Steam right now? The Empires games always seemed interesting to me, but I never got one before for various reasons. This one looks pretty fun, but it has some pretty bad reviews. The few I read were kinda vague though or complaining about normal DW8 gameplay, which I already know that I like. Im mostly worried that its buggy or a really terrible unplayable port or something

The added strategic layer looks cool to me; Im not expecting anything super complicated, just something to add a small amount of depth or stakes to each fight. Anyone here play it before and recommend it or not?

Sounds like Empires is pretty much what you're looking for, apart from the depth in the fights. Battles tend to be very samey since there are no scripted events or weird objectives. If you liked DW8, though, you'll probably enjoy it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Oldstench posted:

According to 6-year-old gamefaqs posts, DW8XL looks like poo poo on PC compared to PS4 and controllers don't work. Is this still true?

Controllers work fine. Also, I will say while it doesn't take full advantage of scalability, DW8XL on steam looks scores better than DW8:Empires, which definitely looks and feels like PS3, if not slightly worse.

I'll play it for the gimmick and the smooth framerate but it's a little depressing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Unless they patched it long after the fact, the PC port shows generic controller buttons (1/2/3/4 etc) instead of xbox prompts. There was a program that force changed them to PS4 controller ones though but that was kind of tedious.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I've got the PC port of DW8XL and it plays fine with controllers, the more annoying thing for me is that it doesn't go into borderless windowed mode.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hunter Noventa posted:

I've got the PC port of DW8XL and it plays fine with controllers, the more annoying thing for me is that it doesn't go into borderless windowed mode.

Having Borderless Gaming running at all times is still a necessity with a lot of games, sadly

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
DW8/E don't have controller prompts by default. I have mods for both that add Xbox prompts, which is probably at least a little better than 1/2/3/4.

Dynasty Warriors 8 or Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires.

These should still work. I don't think the game has ever been patched.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Oldstench posted:

I'm going to say start with 7, as the presentation is so much better in that game (and Zhang Liao does not sound like a dweeb) and the differences in mechanics between 7 and 8 is minor. The only thing I really miss in 7 is being able to hold down the horse call-button to automatically get on the horse.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That's not in DW7? I could swear it was in Warriors Orochi 2.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Any idea when the HW2 DLC is coming out?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

MatchaZed posted:

Any idea when the HW2 DLC is coming out?

Sometime in June is all we know at the moment for the actual first wave, but May 28th gives a new weapon and costume for Link.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I hope it has Linkle

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

How is Age of Calamity's gameplay and quantity of content compared to HW1?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Meh, characters are over complicated in the name of being different, the maps have zero strategy and there's def less content than 1 though that might be a plus lol
It's a step down in most respects.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’ve picked up HW1 again and yeah, I’m forced to agree that AOC isn’t as good as the first one (still a lot of fun imo, just not as good). That said, I did really like the glyph system, and going back to HW1’s “scroll through a dozen different items in real time while you try to remember what the boss’ weakness is” system feels simply barbaric in comparison, that part at least was an upgrade.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
DW9 is on sale for cheap on the PSstore for like 15 bucks. As someone who likes big open world games as well as musou, is it worth getting or is it truly that much of a trash fire?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

DW9 is on sale for cheap on the PSstore for like 15 bucks. As someone who likes big open world games as well as musou, is it worth getting or is it truly that much of a trash fire?

It's that much of a trash fire. Save your money.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I enjoy the spinning plates aspect of warriors games, running around, trying to hit all the objectives on the map without failing. Every mission in DW9 that I remember was riding to a spot, accepting a mission, riding to an empty field 100 meters away, beating up some dudes, and then mission accomplished. None of it felt interesting or engaging. Steam says I have nearly 10 hours logged in DW9 and I don't recall the gameplay changing or evolving in that time.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

If you really want to play DW9, get the free version and buy your favorite officer from the earlier games, which'll be 5 bucks at most.

Otherwise,

Mr. Locke posted:

It's that much of a trash fire. Save your money.

Here's hoping Empires is good, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DW9 feels like a 15 year old Korean f2p MMO where a bunch of popular-in-other-games QoL features have been awkwardly bolted on over the years and none of it works terribly well.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Sakurazuka posted:

DW9 feels like a 15 year old Korean f2p MMO where a bunch of popular-in-other-games QoL features have been awkwardly bolted on over the years and none of it works terribly well.

But to be fair, it's also entirely brown and the voice acting is terrible but just in a flat and not a fun way.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've gone at lengths writing in this thread about why DW9 is kinda trash with a couple redeeming qualities but seriously just skip it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

SilverMike posted:

How is Age of Calamity's gameplay and quantity of content compared to HW1?

Depends, if you're into these games for battlefield tactics and trying to puzzle out the correct order to accomplish objectives then AoC will be a letdown. It's very much a brawler with little tactical input from the player making any difference beyond "how fast can you defeat the enemies?"

If you're into it for diversity of characters and movesets, and enjoy playing against tough enemies and figuring out how to match each character to each challenge then there's a lot to like.

For myself, I've 100% the available content and had a blast doing so, but to each their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I guess part of AoC's problem is that it's trying to tell a story as well as be a musou game but the DW games have the flexibility to let the missions fall apart as long as the outcome is ultimately the same because the story is a truncated mess no matter how you spin it.

I really want a new good DW game. :(