Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

With Fastpass, you wait through what would be like a 15 minute wait with no Fastpass... for 90 minutes.

Again, to reiterate, a Big Thunder Mountain queue stretching all the way to Liberty Square with no Fastpass and reduced capacity was about 35 minutes.

This one, he understands.

I do see FP+ and the like being workable in certain ways in that it allows Disney to project visitor demand, but there’s no way they can expect every guest to have a smartphone and FPs for all the way it had been results in a much more crowded park for everyone. Like yeah that Thunder line is long, but if half of it had an FP and occupied the standby line for Splash it’s not like there’s fewer people ahead of you even if the loading platform is closer in sight. Meanwhile, you can’t just walk onto Splash now that half of Thunder’s crowd moved there.

FP does a lot of robbing Peter to pay for Paul and the result is a park with busier walkways and crowded benches where waits for everything are still 45 minutes. Even rides that don’t offer FP are affected by it since people with FPs for other rides hop over while waiting.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I am another that would rather FP never come back but if they're gonna bring something back I think the MaxPass is a better solution.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

I've ridden Maverick and Cheetah Hunt. Maverick is mostly focused on strong g-forces through tight maneuvers. Cheetah Hunt is more on the family side. Velocicoaster is a little weird because it does not have strong G forces. Like Cheetah Hunt, the launches are weak and the tight turns don't produce much intensity. The main difference is the top hat and inversions on Velocicoaster are VERY intense, as are a few other moments of ejector airtime. I think if the layout felt more natural and less compact it would be unquestionably great, but as it is it does feel very much like attempting to cram more than they should in a very small space.

Coaster enthusiasts tend to place more emphasis on airtime and hangtime than anything else so I do think that combined with the excitement of a new experience means most are going to rave about it. It's by no means bad though, it's very good. I just don't think it's unquestionably great.
Shame to hear about the weak launches, do they at least make the proper sound?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Asehujiko posted:

Shame to hear about the weak launches, do they at least make the proper sound?

They're pretty quiet. More like Hagrid's launches. Something that bothers me is the first launch has a rolling start when it really should have started from a standstill.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I would love to be a fly on the wall in one of the park management meetings where they go over the data of guests, queues, and FP+ and optimize based on available data.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

They're pretty quiet. More like Hagrid's launches. Something that bothers me is the first launch has a rolling start when it really should have started from a standstill.
Well that's just sad, the angry VROOM sound during the second launch is secretly one of the best parts about Taron.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

First ride footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl_W6gwJQ_A

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Wow, the posters above weren't kidding-- that is really compact. Great design for that use of space though and it seems decently long. Looks like a blast.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Hazo posted:

Wow, the posters above weren't kidding-- that is really compact. Great design for that use of space though and it seems decently long. Looks like a blast.

Looks like people arent kidding that this thing does not allow segments to sink into your skull. It looks like the coaster people made in the Inoventions VR coaster to put as the max amount of g's and maneuvers in the create a coaster and then you'd see the kuka arm just flailing around rapidly.

I do hope they put in a more family friendly ride next/soon.

I can't wait to ride it and Hagrid's.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I feel like eating three or four cheeseburgers just so my fat rear end will never fit so no one can ever encourage me to go on it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks rad

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I want to ride that just for the top hat and inversion over the water. Those look great

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I feel like eating three or four cheeseburgers just so my fat rear end will never fit so no one can ever encourage me to go on it.
Gonna need a lot of cheeseburgers, those look like Taron's seats and those are pretty spacious(and comfortable! the only coaster seats that I don't mind sitting in when it's not actively moving).

It does look a bit shorter than Taron though, which seems off given it's lower speed and longer track. Timing the videos shows the difference is only 2 seconds but that entire second half is element -> turnaround -> element -> turnaround -> element and makes it seem somewhat compressed. I get that RMC has made nonstop elements their brand and they're massively popular so everybody is aping that now but for a Blitz it still feels a bit off.

I can't speak for Maverick because it's a continent away from me but Taron is essentially a massively upscaled family coaster that doesn't really have many thrill coaster elements; no inversions, no notable airtime , little in the way of sustained positive g's, just a pair of excellent launches and a minute of wooshing past rocks and buildings.

Video I used for timing(park's official pov was filmed with an empty train so not very representative):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCAR5q0aSdQ
velocicoaster launches at 24 seconds into the video and hits the brakes at 92, 68 seconds of ride time.
Taron launches at 30 and ends at 1:40 so 70 seconds.
I tried timing Maverick too but that one is a little tricky because it stops before the second launch and the time it stands still is variable.

E: more specific to Florida goons, Cheeta Hunt is longer than both at 72 seconds, or even 84 if the first launch that does nothing but launch the train around a corner into the second one is counted.

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 2, 2021

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That first launch of cheetah hunt is genius imho though even though it does nothing, there's something cool just seeing the train speed out of the station and of course the sound❤️❤️❤️

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Disney discount dropped today. 10% - 25% off resorts on stays from July 11 - Sept 29.

Campsites, All Star Movies, Caribbean Beach, Bay Lake Tower, Copper Creek, Deluxe Studio Poly villas - 10% off
Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, Pop Century - 15% off
AoA, Coronado, Ft Wilderness Cabins are 20% off
Boardwalk, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Boulder Ridge, AKL Kidani, Boardwalk Villas, Riviera - 25% off

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl posted:

Disney discount dropped today. 10% - 25% off resorts on stays from July 11 - Sept 29.

Campsites, All Star Movies, Caribbean Beach, Bay Lake Tower, Copper Creek, Deluxe Studio Poly villas - 10% off
Boardwalk, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Boulder Ridge, AKL Kidani, Boardwalk Villas, Riviera - 25% off

Which is better to listen to while on hold for hours:

Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow

OR

It's a Small World After All

(Small World obviously)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You’re a drat monster

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

That's what I said. I like both songs but I think 99% of people hate It's A Small World a whole lot more than Carousel of Progress.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I'd much rather ride Small World than Carousel. Both have you sitting for 10+ minutes.

But yeah, it's the better song. :colbert:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

:sever: :sever: :sever: :sever: :sever:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

It wasn't until my last trip in March that I realized It's a Small World and Imagination from Figment are the exact same song.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
VelociCoaster is bad rear end, probably the most intense in Florida with airtime, I'd rank it over Maverick at Cedar Point, but Under Steel Vengeance. But the thing is the shining example of a themed high end thrill coaster. They nailed the queue, and the Jurassic World feeling, and the ride... it just doesn't let up. The heart line roll at the end over the water is just a moment. This one will wind up on a lot of top 10 worldwide lists. Iron Gwazi in Tampa though I really want to check out.

The last preview day is Wednesday, I'm sure they'll do a lot of soft openings leading up to the June 10th grand opening.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

Braksgirl posted:

If I want to arrive July 10th, is there any way of combining the previous Spring deal with this one? Trying it online, if I set a July 10th start date I only get one discounted day.

I suppose I could make two reservations, one for 1 night on the 10th and then another for the rest of the nights starting the 11th but don't want to have to change rooms. Any suggestions?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/DisneyInterns/status/1389278592631250946

I guess the appearance changes didn't draw as many Floridians as they expected.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Water Resistant posted:

If I want to arrive July 10th, is there any way of combining the previous Spring deal with this one? Trying it online, if I set a July 10th start date I only get one discounted day.

I suppose I could make two reservations, one for 1 night on the 10th and then another for the rest of the nights starting the 11th but don't want to have to change rooms. Any suggestions?

Disney never lets you stack discounts but if your stay begins during a promo they let you have it for the entire stay even if the cut off falls during your stay. So you could get the deal that applies to the time frame before and use it for the whole stay or you can break it up to use both. It really depends on the parameters of the discount. Some have a minimum stay requirement.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Craptacular! posted:

https://twitter.com/DisneyInterns/status/1389278592631250946

I guess the appearance changes didn't draw as many Floridians as they expected.

Hospitality and Restaurant jobs in Central Florida are having somewhat of a worker shortage crisis right now, fast food places are opening up late and closing earlier than normal (or closing down on some days) just because of a shortage of staff. Disney is probably seeing the same thing. It's not all unemployment either, a lot of folks found other work.

Covid has done some weird things to the general supply line for all types of things, some things are a lot harder to get than they used to be. One example, Lumber prices have gone up 2-3 times what they were a year ago. And a lot of other construction materials are significantly more expensive than a year ago.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 3, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Big businesses learning a harsh lesson about supply and demand re labor is hilarious. Turns out a lot of businesses can’t function if they can’t exploit labor with near slave wages.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hazo posted:

It wasn't until my last trip in March that I realized It's a Small World and Imagination from Figment are the exact same song.

are you talking about one little spark

Braksgirl posted:

drat people are about to book like crazy for oct 1st

weird friggin brackets though.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Gotta fill those rooms. The ones with the highest percentage off are probably the emptiest.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

are you talking about one little spark

Yeah I couldn't think of the name for some reason. Same song as Small World.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

Gotta fill those rooms. The ones with the highest percentage off are probably the emptiest.

poo poo go get me kidani I'll stay at AKL in a zorb bubble.

For real though, if covid keeps dropping a lot of that is really tempting. Military rates are better but you gotta practically kill a man to get kidani military rates.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

poo poo go get me kidani I'll stay at AKL in a zorb bubble.

For real though, if covid keeps dropping a lot of that is really tempting. Military rates are better but you gotta practically kill a man to get kidani military rates.

Kidani is great, until you're at the very edge and have to walk down 1 mile of hallway so repetitive, you're half expecting to see a set of twin girls holding hands at some point

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any word on when iron gwazi is opening?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"We have temporarily modified some of our eligibility requirements so that many of you can still apply, even if you’ve already graduated."

Oh yeah they're hurting lol

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Kidani is great, until you're at the very edge and have to walk down 1 mile of hallway so repetitive, you're half expecting to see a set of twin girls holding hands at some point

I love AKL because of those corridors. You go real fast on your scooter because your worthless body is broken and hope someone ends you by opening a door too fast :3:

Seriously though, the weird parking garage look of Kidani is such a thing if you walk from Jambo House to Kidani.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
If I renew an annual pass, does it start from the expiration from the last one, or we get a new 1 year timer from the first time we go.

I'm assuming the former but we can't find any info.

e: lol of course after I post this we found the answer

Renegret fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 4, 2021

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Here's a better video of Velocicoaster. It might get taken down soon.

Also unless you really care about the queue being spoiled, there's nothing really to spoil on the ride by watching this. The ride experience itself is just a rollercoaster. What you see when walking around is what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eryni0O750

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What used to be where velocicoaster is, the triceratops encounter?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Empress Brosephine posted:

What used to be where velocicoaster is, the triceratops encounter?

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool ty