Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Zesty posted:

and that's all related to them trying to make some sort of minecraft-y "terraform the world however you want!" Whole game is built on that carcass which still gives the game unfixable pop-in problems.

:staredog: holy gently caress I forgot about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So I was watching an LP and discovered today that the lost river music actually blurs in pretty well with storm sirens.

Not hail though. That disrupts a lot more.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Considering the developers, I can absolutely guarantee you that 1.0 will gently caress with your saves in some way and eventually force you to restart. And if it doesn’t, patch 1.x definitely will.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Zesty posted:

I don’t know why people ask if they should play an Early Access game, get a recommendation to wait for 1.0, and then pop in two weeks before release worried that their save is going to be deleted.

Or the couple people who got upset the game didn’t have the endgame available. Like, loving duh.
How upset are you that someone dare not follow your recommendation to the letter? Or, perhaps, there are multiple folks and they didn't ask the thread or you personally for any EA advice but still have a polite curiosity that their save might not carry over because that could determine if they hop back into BZ in the next couple weeks on a lark. Are you certain there's one poster with whom you've had this entire chain of interactions with or are you solipsistically collapsing the entirety of the thread into a single ur-poster so you can get mad?

And "the endgame" isn't what's unavailable? At least not my understanding of the phrase. The late stage gameplay's there.

Danaru posted:

:staredog: holy gently caress I forgot about that
I can't fathom how, that baseless theory impugning the devs for no reason gets trotted out quite regularly around here.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Tom Tucker posted:

Picked it back up this month and played through a roughly 28 hour run and finally beat it! I missed an achievement because while I grew Cuddlefish I never released one :(

I missed that one too, but reloaded my last save made before completion, then just ran off to my base to release the darned thing, and still got my achievement in the end. Or after the end, I guess.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

I can't fathom how, that baseless theory impugning the devs for no reason gets trotted out quite regularly around here.

baseless? the stupid terraforming poo poo is literally still in the game, they only disabled the console commands for it sometime last year

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Also I played the early access for the original when the terraforming was still in. I'm sure there are videos of YouTube of people making a big hole in the ground and spawning Reapers into that chamber as well. This isn't a conspiracy it's literally fact.

I still love that original and have played a bunch of early access for Below Zero without regrets. But this isn't a weird myth of anything.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

HiKaizer posted:

Also I played the early access for the original when the terraforming was still in. I'm sure there are videos of YouTube of people making a big hole in the ground and spawning Reapers into that chamber as well. This isn't a conspiracy it's literally fact.

I still love that original and have played a bunch of early access for Below Zero without regrets. But this isn't a weird myth of anything.
Yeah for a long while after they removed the terraforming gun or whatever it was, and even if you didn't try to use the console, merely placing objects would still deform terrain.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

JawnV6 posted:

:allears:

loving delight, you are.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Section Z posted:

Yeah for a long while after they removed the terraforming gun or whatever it was, and even if you didn't try to use the console, merely placing objects would still deform terrain.

I think you could also dig and deform the terrain, but my memory is a little fuzzy on that one.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Would that person be less mad if goons attributed the remaining performance issues to some other thing the devs never fixed?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dyz posted:

I think you could also dig and deform the terrain, but my memory is a little fuzzy on that one.

Correct, you could dig a bit with your hands although I’m not sure you could dig more than a small amount in a given spot and it didn’t do much compared to the actual terraform tool

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

if anyone yearns for the days of (even more) horrible performance issues and 20gb save files, there's a mod out there that re-enables terraforming

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

if anyone yearns for the days of (even more) horrible performance issues and 20gb save files, there's a mod out there that re-enables terraforming

Can I dig a tunnel from the escape pod straight down to the PCF?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Just beat this game last night. I put maybe 55+ hrs into my save and somehow avoided spoilers. I easily could have just kept spending time in the ocean exploring. I might go back and go after the one achievement I missed. Looks like the sequel's going to be out next month? Sweet.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Endless Trash posted:

Yes, I think someone did that in EA and used air tubes.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Endless Trash posted:

That was a specific thing mentioned by the lead dev in the forum post where they explained the reasons behind removing it, so I assume yes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

So we don’t have the feature but we still have all the technical drawbacks its existence caused? And those drawbacks also exist in the expansion even though they started working on it after terraforming was removed?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Comrade Koba posted:

That was a specific thing mentioned by the lead dev in the forum post where they explained the reasons behind removing it, so I assume yes.

Ah yes, the old "You can have fun in this sandbox, but only in Specific Approved ways. No Unauthorized Fun Allowed."

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

frogge posted:

Just beat this game last night. I put maybe 55+ hrs into my save and somehow avoided spoilers. I easily could have just kept spending time in the ocean exploring. I might go back and go after the one achievement I missed. Looks like the sequel's going to be out next month? Sweet.

I'm sorry, but actually enjoying the game or referring to enjoyment within the game is not tolerated in the thread about the game. I'm going to have to ask you to leave.

(Yeah, I'm also hyped for the BZ release!)

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

frogge posted:

If you want to go exploring, just whip up a new game save in creative mode. Insta-build a Seamoth with the radar ping mod and just go anywhere, you can't be harmed and it has no depth limit. Sonar ping around to find stuff (also it looks cool) and just go wherever, reapers are goofy little poodles that are fun to go pet in creative mode.

I was pretty surprised by how much stuff I had missed on my first play-through.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

So we don’t have the feature but we still have all the technical drawbacks its existence caused?

You bet!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

And those drawbacks also exist in the expansion even though they started working on it after terraforming was removed?

Also true, but I guess it’s a bit understandable that they didn’t code an entire new engine from scratch when making an expansion to an existing game.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

I'm sorry, but actually enjoying the game or referring to enjoyment within the game is not tolerated in the thread about the game. I'm going to have to ask you to leave.

(Yeah, I'm also hyped for the BZ release!)

Oh yeah, SA has a long and proud history of lovingly hating games in the very threads about 'em.
I can't decide if I want to hold off on starting anything new before BZ gets the full release or if I want to wait for it to be out for a bit before I go for it.

PDP-1 posted:

If you want to go exploring, just whip up a new game save in creative mode. Insta-build a Seamoth with the radar ping mod and just go anywhere, you can't be harmed and it has no depth limit. Sonar ping around to find stuff (also it looks cool) and just go wherever, reapers are goofy little poodles that are fun to go pet in creative mode.

I was pretty surprised by how much stuff I had missed on my first play-through.

That's what I was thinking of doing just to build a ridiculous sealab. I might just go back to my pre-rocket launch save and really do up my sealab.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, I'd wait for the first two hotfixes before I jump back in.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Comrade Koba posted:

Also true, but I guess it’s a bit understandable that they didn’t code an entire new engine from scratch when making an expansion to an existing game.

Looking forward to a potential sequel down the line where they remake the engine from the ground up. They could do some real cool stuff with it without the limits they got stuck with out of complete gameplay redesigns.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Zesty posted:

Looking forward to a potential sequel down the line where they remake the engine from the ground up. They could do some real cool stuff with it without the limits they got stuck with out of complete gameplay redesigns.

Yeah... something I've been wanting to put to the thread would be what would you want to see with a potential sequel/remake?

Mob behaviour is something I'd love to see more of - stuff like stalkers playing with metal, sea monkeys taking stuff, etc. Seeing more interactions between mobs and possibly being able to capitalise on them. For example, luring an animal you can't attack on your own near one of its predators, which then attacks it and it drops something the player can use, that kind of thing.

Multiplayer - I get why it's a single player game and it's a cool feeling, but now that I've played through the whole thing, I wanna pilot a Cyclops with a crew.

I think the handcrafted nature of the world is a big selling point, but it'd be cool if there was an option to play a procedurally generated world to (maybe once you've completed the game, the idea being you've landed on a different part of the planet or something). Whatever they do, probably about the amount of on-land stuff from the first game is closer to the right balance than BZ.

Speaking of the map, I think it'd be cool to link BZ with the original game so that you could move from one to the other, perhaps using a warp gate which may or may not be large enough to acommodate a vehicle... or just tearing a page from The Phantom Menace's book and going through DA PLANET CORE.

Oh yeah, and fix all the bugs and performance issues obviously.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Yeah... something I've been wanting to put to the thread would be what would you want to see with a potential sequel/remake?

Mob behaviour is something I'd love to see more of - stuff like stalkers playing with metal, sea monkeys taking stuff, etc. Seeing more interactions between mobs and possibly being able to capitalise on them. For example, luring an animal you can't attack on your own near one of its predators, which then attacks it and it drops something the player can use, that kind of thing.
More "There is a beneficial point to their existence also they can learn to leave you alone" stuff like the Stalkers, for one.

Stalkers are the only predator in the first game that are not a generic videogame enemy that exists purely to inconvenience you. (Well I guess technically gas pods would count if the options they grant were not essentially worthless). "A third shark with more spikes and health" is not as interesting as "New shark with more spikes and health that digs up space coal deposits prey species live inside of if you observe them from a safe distance" or other reasons you'd be happy to not see them all suddenly extinct one day.

Persistent upgrades for your suits and stacking HUD chip upgrades. Picking between swim faster fins or recharge fins is cool, not so much "And now to never use the stillsuit because I need to wear the reinforce suit to not boil alive while repairing my prawn". On that note, can you use the below zero headlamp (Which apparently needs ion batteries to craft because??) at the same time as a rebreather?

Expensive endgame upgrades to smash tools together into multi-tools so you can focus more on the end plot stretch than shuffling your three different physics guns around from time to time.

Might as well make one of the final upgrades persistent mapping too. You can't "Ruin the experience" with a map after clearing 3/4 of the game map already.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 1, 2021

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Honestly, bug fixes and some QOL improvements are about all I'd really like to see. The game fits a specific niche incredibly well, and adding things like multiplayer or a more complex narrative would stray from that. I'm sure lots of people would like those things and they could make a good game with them, but I'd really be happy with just some refinement and a brand new map.

For QOL, streamline the crafting and inventory systems, either by redesigning them or just incorporating the auto-crafting mods that pull from your lockers and automatically make sub-components as part of the stock game. It might also be nice to have a way of searching for specific resources that's a little less cumbersome than the scanner room system.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I think the handcrafted nature of the world is a big selling point, but it'd be cool if there was an option to play a procedurally generated world to (maybe once you've completed the game, the idea being you've landed on a different part of the planet or something). Whatever they do, probably about the amount of on-land stuff from the first game is closer to the right balance than BZ.

This is a tough one. While of course I would love to have an infinite number of worlds to explore, procedurally generated worlds ironically get boring a lot faster than handmade ones. They could probably make several thoughtful, engaging handmade maps for the same time and effort it would take to build a procedural system that makes an infinite number of "meh" maps. Again, there's probably a market for a good game that does it that way - No Man's Sea? - but I don't think it's the right choice for 2ubnautica.

Section Z posted:

Expensive endgame upgrades to smash tools together into multi-tools so you can focus more on the end plot stretch than shuffling your three different physics guns around from time to time.

That's a good one, basically reclaim some of your inventory space from the half-dozen tools you end up carrying. Gimme a wrist-mounted repulsion cannon with a light and a bayonet that automatically scans things.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Stalkers were one of the first animals they added to the game so they gave them actual personalities and didn’t have time/money to do the rest. They wanted to do more of that stuff with all the other creatures.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

subnautica 2 needs to have roaming leviathans with map-wide, semi-randomized patrol routes.

nowhere will be safe :unsmigghh:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

subnautica 2 needs to have roaming leviathans with map-wide, semi-randomized patrol routes.

prawn suit parts faster and I’m in. And even deeper. And a seamouth depth mod to 1200 meters.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

LionArcher posted:

prawn suit parts faster and I’m in. And even deeper. And a seamouth depth mod to 1200 meters.

sorry, the vehicles need to go. enjoy your seaglide.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Comrade Koba posted:

You sit nestled deep in a crevice in the reef, thinking yourself safe while the reaper circles impotently and screams at you in rage. Then it turns and you see the colony of crashfish flowers growing on its back. They begin to open...

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

You sit nestled deep in a crevice in the reef, thinking yourself safe while the reaper circles impotently and screams at you in rage. Then it turns and you see the colony of crashfish flowers growing on its back. They begin to open...

But from your pocket you hear a little voice saying "You look like you could use some coffee?". Energized you barely manage your escape.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

But from your pocket you hear a little voice saying "You look like you could use some coffee?". Energized you barely manage your escape.

LionArcher posted:

I'd acutally love to see a premise where you get thrown off the deep pool end with the prawn suit when you crash land, and get stuck far down and have to slowly work your way up.

Maybe a slightly bigger prawn suit with like, a coffee dispenser in the cockpit to the right, and the ability to load/take things to/from the hoppper from the left. (or swap arms without getting out like samus does - once you acquire them)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I kind of missed the terraforming just because I play games like this to make a kick-rear end mansion. My original base before the terraforming was removed had a tunnel dug all the way from the safe shallows to the mushroom kingdom and I had a basement down there with my bed so I could chill out with all the fancy colorful mushrooms.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
It's strange because something like terraforming isn't even technically that difficult on modern hardware. If you don't want players to be able to just dig down to the end game just introduce different materials where some can be modded but there is a 'rock' layer that you can't dig through. Astroneer had that kind of system with different material types that took different tech levels to dig through.

I'm not even a professional programmer and I did morphable land geometries for a game jam project. Then again, given the weird pop-in visual issues and the dumb bugs that pop up even years after the game has been released, maybe they're just not great programmers. Good at telling a story and good at making things visually pretty, but not super skilled in a pure tech way. Plenty of modern, or even older games render way more complex environments without the slow loading and pop-in that Subnautica has.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

PDP-1 posted:

maybe they're just not great programmers

This is so true it could be the thread title.

Ideally, an actual sequel would retain the visual and audio design teams from the first two games but have the actual engine coding done by competent people.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Programmers under the C++.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I thought that maybe after all these years they might have solved the "Reaper Leviathan bursts out of the terrain" issue, but no, one appeared deep in the underwater mountain caves a few minutes ago while I was looking for a purple tablet I remember being there and instantly ran off with my seamoth, again going straight through the ground and jumping hundreds of meters away in a couple seconds.