Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Solice Kirsk posted:

More. Food. Representation.

I mean, always. We don't see enough bao and pho and gyro and and and man I just love food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Out of curiosity, did we even see more than 2 Grayson family meals in the whole season? I mean, as much as I beg and plead, I don't eat delicious fresh lumpia and pancet every time I go over to my friend's house. Is she not Filipino enough?

It's just weird to expect that you've got to pimp out your home and kitchen in 'Murcia levels of cultural narcissism or else it's erasure. Like, the guy was fine with everything but is pissed because they wouldn't let him draw Debbie in a Hanbok slurping down dumplings? Was the art even quality enough to effectively portray Kimchi-jjigae isn't just generic soup?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe he's really mad that Deb didn't cook that giant piece of tentacle that Nolan brought back.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Casnorf posted:

Isn't carefully calling attention to cultural differences that don't play into the story at all kind of exactly the opposite of representation?

I think it’s more incidentally showing them using chopsticks, maybe some Korean food on the table, or maybe something else Korean Americans generally have in their homes (what do the prototypical Korean American homes look like? The only friend from my childhood whose parents were Korean just had a stereotypically suburban house, but with more emphasis on Jesus stuff on the walls.)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's going to turn out dude's a big BTS stan and is annoyed they wouldn't let him poster the Grayson house in BTS merch. His breaking point was when they wouldn't let him compose the shot of Debbie weeping alone in her room(Jesus Christ, hug your mom, Mark) as her tightly hugging her J-Hope body pillow.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gyges posted:

Out of curiosity, did we even see more than 2 Grayson family meals in the whole season?

Let's just scan these real quick

1. Grayson eating what I'm assuming is cereal. Parents going to Germany for sausages. Family dinner of roast chicken, bread, leftover sausages.
2. Only food was school lunch
3. Debbie chopping carrots and onion along with the aforementioned tentacle
4. Mark had ice cream and a frozen space sandwich. Parents having lunch at a cafe in Rome.
5. I'm calling dinner turkey, mashed potatoes, and roast vegetables.
6. Everyone starved.
7. Two weeks with no food, it's turning into Survivorman.
8. Mark had a hamburger

There's the exciting food culture represented in the show

e: so to answer your question no, there's only two instances of them sitting down eating together

Azhais fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 1, 2021

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Ccs posted:

I think it’s more incidentally showing them using chopsticks, maybe some Korean food on the table, or maybe something else Korean Americans generally have in their homes (what do the prototypical Korean American homes look like? The only friend from my childhood whose parents were Korean just had a stereotypically suburban house, but with more emphasis on Jesus stuff on the walls.)

I feel like you just said the thing. I know it's silly, but like I have utensils from all over the world in my house and we're just as likely to eat curry as lasagne as pho as burg. There's no particular ethnic representation because calling anything out particularly would be kind of weird, at least in a suburban upper-middle class environment. Hell I see more traditional Asian cultural representation in my lovely fuckin' weeb father-in-law's house than I do in those houses of people from that cultural background.

This isn't really a value judgement, honestly. It's just, like, isn't calling out JUST HOW DIVERSE WE ARE REALLY as opposed to treating the characters as though they're people who live lives just like everybody else and there's no overwhelmingly external influence to dictate their personalities?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

As a whiteish American I cook more Mexican- and Asian-style food than anything else. Tacos and fried rice are just so easy and delicious and you can throw basically anything in there. I'm planning on making chili this weekend but I can't remember the last time I made anything you'd call American cuisine.

I dunno how this relates to the current conversation but I thought I'd share.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
there's also the fact that the family patriarch is a guy who can pick up pizza from Italy and bring it home "before the cheese stops bubbling" so they have a lot of options for dinner.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phenotype posted:

As a whiteish American I cook more Mexican- and Asian-style food than anything else. Tacos and fried rice are just so easy and delicious and you can throw basically anything in there. I'm planning on making chili this weekend but I can't remember the last time I made anything you'd call American cuisine.

I dunno how this relates to the current conversation but I thought I'd share.

I think it relates to the current conversation much like the quote from Sandra I posted earlier, you make stuff that you enjoy that's easy most of the time.

I'm third generation American and my entire family is Slovenian. I eat way more Korean food than Slovenian because the literal (ok, not literally, there's a bowling alley closer, but that hardly counts) closest restaurant to me is a great Korean place and apparently by that guy's argument that makes me a terrible person

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So, PSA on Invincible on Comixology Unlimited -- literally only the first issue is free. The remainder is discounted but you have to pay to read it. Really sort of a bummer but at least now I don't have to worry about deactivating that account in a few days.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Casnorf posted:

This isn't really a value judgement, honestly. It's just, like, isn't calling out JUST HOW DIVERSE WE ARE REALLY as opposed to treating the characters as though they're people who live lives just like everybody else and there's no overwhelmingly external influence to dictate their personalities?

Yeah I agree with this. I dunno what the tweet author wanted, them to be eating kim chi sometimes? Debbie having taught Mark and Nolan Korean and speaking it, or saying random Korean phrases sometimes while stressed? All of that could have come off as hilariously heavy handed.

Like I get the jist of his point, that he doesn’t want poc to just be a pallet swap from white. But I don’t know diverse upper middle class suburbia really is in terms of their behaviours.

Ironically I was eating kimchi poutine while watching the Invincible finale. Cant remember if it was with chopsticks or a fork though. The Korean community in Quebec has done a great twist on that dish.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 1, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Memnaelar posted:

So, PSA on Invincible on Comixology Unlimited -- literally only the first issue is free. The remainder is discounted but you have to pay to read it. Really sort of a bummer but at least now I don't have to worry about deactivating that account in a few days.

It's not like you can't google "read <comicname> online" and find some Liechtensteinian website with all the issues to read right in your browser

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

my wife thought X-Men Evolution was some 90s/2000s era nothing show

Your first wife sounds terrible

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Azhais posted:

It's not like you can't google "read <comicname> online" and find some Liechtensteinian website with all the issues to read right in your browser

...sure. The Comixology Unlimited thing is an option that a few people in the thread have brought up, however, so I figure, in case folks don't want to waste their time like I did...

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Debbie is American. Does the show (or comic even) ever even say 'Korean'?

The specific hereditary origin of any particular Asian American person is not a mystery we have to solve. In my experience, Asian American people value being recognized as Americans first and absolutely despise having to constantly navigate questions about what 'type' of Asian they are. I don't think we need to bother deciphering what 'prototypical Korean American homes look like' (hint: remove the word Korean for your answer).

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Lol that art directors bad tweets, enjoy being black listed in your industry I guess?

My best friend is Thai British with his parents being born in Thailand and he was born here, sure he ate Thai food when he was younger and lived with them but now him and his British wife eat just western food, pasta, pizza, roast dinners, fish and chips etc etc, you know, the usual western food, but apparently this would insult this person on twitter? Frankly his pallet is more traditionally English than mine, I don't drink tea for example, don't have sunday roast dinners (both of these things make me a traitor in my country), For all we known Debbie is like 3rd generation also but really that doesnt matter, no race is a monolith and it's tiring to see this need especially on twitter of people in different types of media having to act their race or whatever.

edit: Honestly the art was maybe one of the low points of the show, so maybe there's a good reason this person isn't part of season 2 and they're super bitter.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 1, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bigperm posted:

Debbie is American. Does the show (or comic even) ever even say 'Korean'?

The comic wiki refers to her as an American (born here) of Korean descent so it's probably in one of the books somewhere, the show never talks about it that I can think of.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Until the casting I always assumed deb was Hispanic and I’ve read the whole comic more than once. That’s how little it comes up or matters

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Goddamnit now I want to make kimchi jjigae for dinner

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

esperterra posted:

Goddamnit now I want to make kimchi jjigae for dinner

I know right? I might order some kimbap, blood sugar be damned.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

...sure. The Comixology Unlimited thing is an option that a few people in the thread have brought up, however, so I figure, in case folks don't want to waste their time like I did...

Your local library would have it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There’s a Korean/Mexican fusion food truck in Los Angeles that’s pretty amazing. This has zero relevance to Invincible but I think I know what I’m getting for dinner tonight.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ruddiger posted:

There’s a Korean/Mexican fusion food truck in Los Angeles that’s pretty amazing. This has zero relevance to Invincible but I think I know what I’m getting for dinner tonight.

A Korean/Mexican fusion truck is the metaphor of comic and cartoon viewers coming together to say Debbie is awesome.

I hope the truck's name is Hug Your Mom though.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Comixology Unlimited has the first ten volumes.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

there's also the fact that the family patriarch is a guy who can pick up pizza from Italy and bring it home "before the cheese stops bubbling" so they have a lot of options for dinner.

I know its all comics, but I still dont understand how this would work. Fresh pizza is the most un-aerodynamic shape possible. Sausage i can understand, wine sure! But fresh bubbling pizza?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ughhhh posted:

I know its all comics, but I still dont understand how this would work. Fresh pizza is the most un-aerodynamic shape possible. Sausage i can understand, wine sure! But fresh bubbling pizza?

Viltrumite force: Nolan doesn't have to explain poo poo or he will make you explode into a bloody mess if you keep pressing the issue. :v:

And speaking of things that don't make sense: I am really surprised at how easily everyone seems to have let Rudy off the hook with what he did. That was seriously messed up and at the very least he should be kicked off the team for freeing the Mauler Twins. And that's not even getting started with what he did to Rex.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Viltrumite force: Nolan doesn't have to explain poo poo or he will make you explode into a bloody mess if you keep pressing the issue. :v:

And speaking of things that don't make sense: I am really surprised at how easily everyone seems to have let Rudy off the hook with what he did. That was seriously messed up and at the very least he should be kicked off the team for freeing the Mauler Twins. And that's not even getting started with what he did to Rex.

I mean, he did accidentally pick the best time ever to do some shady poo poo.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I don't even get that guys original complaint about the show wasting Sandra Oh.They gave Debbie more agency in eight episodes than she had in the entire comic's run.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

JT Smiley posted:

I don't even get that guys original complaint about the show wasting Sandra Oh.They gave Debbie more agency in eight episodes than she had in the entire comic's run.

That bit from early in the season “does it make you feel like a big man that you could hurt me?” and in light of how the finale played out seems like Debbie was just as important to Nolan’s defeat as mark was.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I asked one of my best friends who’s Korean American for his take:

“ I can understand the spirit of the criticism, cause here’s a show with a half Korean-American main character and his Korean American mother and they’re voiced by two of the biggest Korean American actors in the industry so why not go all out in depicting some more heritage stuff, but the heritage that the show is more concerned with is the main characters alien father who might be super hitler. In that case it might seem like a slap in the face to spend time on his relationship to a fictional race of super beings as opposed to an actual culture that really exists. But... it’s a superhero show so the MCs relationship to the super powers people kinda does take precedence for plot reasons. But just saying eating western food is not korean i can't really get behind.”

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So what's the deal with The Immortal being like... Abe Lincoln or something? What was with those flash backs when he was being revived? Past lives? Or was it like, all part of his life? Does he get killed and come back, or was being chopped by Omni man his first death?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

So what's the deal with The Immortal being like... Abe Lincoln or something? What was with those flash backs when he was being revived? Past lives? Or was it like, all part of his life? Does he get killed and come back, or was being chopped by Omni man his first death?

Yeah as his name suggests he’s immortal but his regeneration happens at speed of plot. He’s had many identities.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
pallet, palette, and palate are all different words with different meanings and if you do not learn them you'll be the first against the wall when my home planet invades your pathetic world

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
Jesus christ... How does this show not have a NC-17 raiting?

False Toaster fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 2, 2021

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Can't believe you all just forgot about the show's representation of Filipino food on this show; halo-halo featured very prominently on Mark's date with Amber to Pinoytown or whatever it was called

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

False Toaster posted:

In the UK the first and last episodes are rated 18. They're the ones with actual dismemberment as opposed to just bloody beatings.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The only way to get an R rating is to show boobs now. Possibly saying "gently caress" too many times.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

False Toaster posted:

Sir, this is America. Gore and violence are fine and normal, it's only if you have the audacity to show some male nudity or some vag that we have to step in and protect the impressionable children.

Our country was founded by Zardoz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Male nudity? Only if you want an x rating. A little side boob is all it takes to the the parents television council up in arms. Then out comes the Puritanman Signal and the form letters fly