Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Taerkar posted:

What's your overall build? A good weapon can help a lot but the right perks can go a long way. Especially if you have the support perks you need.

Also the recent change means that changing your spec is easy-peasy, as long as you have the cards you need.

Something like this (from memory)

I was kind of going the stealth commando route but picking up random other fun and/or interesting things, but its a bit of a mess. There are quite a few 'I've got nothing better to fill the spot with' perks (stuff like butchers bounty and some of the crafting stuff like ammosmith)

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lol, seriously. I've done campfire tales enough times to have stupid easy events with minimal enemies, but also times you can't escape the loving bloodbugs and ants even with half a dozen players.

Teapot will do this too. Like the scaling for enemy count is hosed up somehow, where you think you're going to have an easy run through alone, only to be absolutely surrounded the entire time.

I still haven't finished the Uplink daily op, I'm level 116.

I haven't even tried a daily op yet. I was with a group of people who failed the teapot event yesterday so I know what you mean because it got crazy with ticks and ants at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Gave 76 a try. Meticulously created my character, meandered around the vault until I reached the door. The door started opening and I lost connection to the server. Got kicked out of the game. Hit play again and all my progress was lost.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I was kind of going the stealth commando route but picking up random other fun and/or interesting things, but its a bit of a mess. There are quite a few 'I've got nothing better to fill the spot with' perks (stuff like butchers bounty and some of the crafting stuff like ammosmith)

I haven't even tried a daily op yet. I was with a group of people who failed the teapot event yesterday so I know what you mean because it got crazy with ticks and ants at one point.

Limited perk card choices can be a pain, though I take it from your perks that you're using an energy weapon. Which type?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Taerkar posted:

Limited perk card choices can be a pain, though I take it from your perks that you're using an energy weapon. Which type?

Mostly combat rifle. The energy ammo thing was to reduce the weight of all the 25% fusion cores I had (also I didn’t have any other great perks for int).

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

You absolutely need Tenderizer under Charisma and Adrenaline under Agility. Those are the single most important damage perks for any build.

Commando is full auto, so make sure your weapons actually are automatics and not single shot rifles.

Also, do you have any mutations?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lol, seriously. I've done campfire tales enough times to have stupid easy events with minimal enemies, but also times you can't escape the loving bloodbugs and ants even with half a dozen players.

Teapot will do this too. Like the scaling for enemy count is hosed up somehow, where you think you're going to have an easy run through alone, only to be absolutely surrounded the entire time.

Tea Time is best done from the top of the pot or any other high point and stealth sniping anything that moves.

Todays DO was an absolute blast. Went in with a group of 3 other high levels and we got that thing done in 4:34

People need to lay off the Uplink mindset. In Decryption you need to split up and move to get poo poo done.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Are you trying to do them solo? They're not that tough with a group. Even with just two people.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Also, the amount of XP you can get when you go hogwild with food buffs is absurd. Pop in the occasional Lunchbox and Radiation Rumble, Line in the Sand, Guided Meditation and Scorched Earth are absolute XP heavens. I gained 25 levels since that season started. Doesn't sound much but I'm level 843, so that's roughly 3.3 million XP. :)

Enemy kills cap out at 4K...

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Are you trying to do them solo? They're not that tough with a group. Even with just two people.

Yeah, and it's a kick in the balls because I always forget to grab my power armor before joining. It's not a priority, I'll get around to it eventually.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Sensenmann posted:

You absolutely need Tenderizer under Charisma and Adrenaline under Agility. Those are the single most important damage perks for any build.

Commando is full auto, so make sure your weapons actually are automatics and not single shot rifles.

Also, do you have any mutations?

Thanks I'll pick those up. I just bought a bunch of mutation serums. I think I have eagle eyes, egghead, marsupial, and speed demon.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Herd Mentality is a must have mutation. It works when you're on a team of one.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Taerkar posted:

Herd Mentality is a must have mutation. It works when you're on a team of one.

like, the one can be yourself?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Mandrel posted:

like, the one can be yourself?

You can create a public group and it works even if no one joins the group

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Can anyone point me to a bloody heavy weapon PA build and/or bloody shotgun build.

Im currently bloodied crit commando, but i have a bloody explosive shotgun and a bloody ffr lmg id love to play with now that we can have a couple builds.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Thanks I'll pick those up. I just bought a bunch of mutation serums. I think I have eagle eyes, egghead, marsupial, and speed demon.

Get Adrenal Reaction if you are going for low health. Increases your damage output even more and it works with all weapons, not just Bloodied.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

ZombieCrew posted:

Can anyone point me to a bloody heavy weapon PA build and/or bloody shotgun build.

Im currently bloodied crit commando, but i have a bloody explosive shotgun and a bloody ffr lmg id love to play with now that we can have a couple builds.

PA Heavy

https://nukesdragons.com/fallout76/perks?v=1&s=e184e78&d=sg2sq1s31sr1s01s22eh2cu2ce0ir2ip2s12ic4a72a02l71lu2lg2ee2eu0pe0a80

The same build but with Legendary, QoL Perks, room for drug abuse and Mutations:

https://nukesdragons.com/fallout76/...k1&m=051c2febad

For Perception you can use whatever you want, it doesn't matter. Personally I use Green Thumb for when I go collect food ingredients or Flux.

I've chosen Herbivore for this build as the ingredients for buffs are slightly easier to acquire.

Mutations that don't matter:

Chameleon - does nothing. The only build this might benefit is Berserker
Plague Walker - doesn't hurt you but has no impact on your specials either

Mutations NOT to use for Heavy builds:

Twisted Muscles - strictly Melee
Talons - strictly Melee
Healing Factor - Won't hurt but severely impacts chems and might contribute to the fast travel bug
Empath - mainly for Full Health as you take more damage
Electrically Charged and Unstable Isotope - mainly full health as the effect damages you as well

For Shotguns:

Drop Strength down to 12 and use the maxed out Shotgunner plus Scattershot perks.

Up Perception to 4 and slot in 1* Concentrated Fire and max Skeetshooter.

Under Agility you need to make room for Enforcer.

That's about it.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 2, 2021

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, and it's a kick in the balls because I always forget to grab my power armor before joining. It's not a priority, I'll get around to it eventually.

Pretty sure those are intended to be group content. Just join a public team. Its pretty painless. You don't even need to talk to anyone or organize. Everyone just joins up and gets to it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sensenmann posted:

PA Heavy

https://nukesdragons.com/fallout76/perks?v=1&s=e184e78&d=sg2sq1s31sr1s01s22eh2cu2ce0ir2ip2s12ic4a72a02l71lu2lg2ee2eu0pe0a80

The same build but with Legendary, QoL Perks, room for drug abuse and Mutations:

https://nukesdragons.com/fallout76/...k1&m=051c2febad

For Perception you can use whatever you want, it doesn't matter. Personally I use Green Thumb for when I go collect food ingredients or Flux.

I've chosen Herbivore for this build as the ingredients for buffs are slightly easier to acquire.

Mutations that don't matter:

Chameleon - does nothing. The only build this might benefit is Berserker
Plague Walker - doesn't hurt you but has no impact on your specials either

Mutations NOT to use for Heavy builds:

Twisted Muscles - strictly Melee
Talons - strictly Melee
Healing Factor - Won't hurt but severely impacts chems and might contribute to the fast travel bug
Empath - mainly for Full Health as you take more damage
Electrically Charged and Unstable Isotope - mainly full health as the effect damages you as well

For Shotguns:

Drop Strength down to 12 and use the maxed out Shotgunner plus Scattershot perks.

Up Perception to 4 and slot in 1* Concentrated Fire and max Skeetshooter.

Under Agility you need to make room for Enforcer.

That's about it.

Drop stabilized and IMO batteries included as well and pick up a few ranks of demo expert to boost the explosive damage of the shotgun.

You can usually get away with only two or three cores if you're not VATS heavy in PA, provided they're not 25/100 cores.

I run Healing Factor myself and with Class Freak at 3* the reduced healing of stimpacks isn't noticeable, especially when you quickly top back up to full between fights.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 2, 2021

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Kind of annoyed that I grinded to get the gauss minigun BP and have crafted and scrapped a ton of them and still haven't found anything as effective as just using Final Word. Fast ROF, armor pen and NO SPIN UP for adds to stagger you during.

I'm sure there's some more effective build with bloodied or whatever but Stabilized and a Final Word (plus some other perks like Adrenaline and whatnot) seem to do the job just fine.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The difference between a straight up Final Word build and a bloodied HW build is pretty insignificant now unless you're really good at bloodied.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
An Anti Armor or Bloodied Gat Plasma will straight up outperform FW during boss fights but as daily driver it's an amazing weapon, especially Primed.
You don't even need to min/max your build for that.

I use Final Word or the Gat Plasma for ranged fights, a Flamer for medium or close range.

If I'm on my Commando build I use a Quad Fixer or an Executioners Handmade. Not even kidding, Executioners is, thanks to One Wasteland, a really good choice.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Pretty sure those are intended to be group content. Just join a public team. Its pretty painless. You don't even need to talk to anyone or organize. Everyone just joins up and gets to it.

Yeah, I realize this. Probably going to do it today.

E: so I'm playing Tea Time alone and no enemies have shown up. Clock's just counting down, nothing is attacking anything. Lol.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 3, 2021

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, I realize this. Probably going to do it today.

E: so I'm playing Tea Time alone and no enemies have shown up. Clock's just counting down, nothing is attacking anything. Lol.

Bethesda broke the spawns for some events and several high level locations. West Tek and the Whitespring Club, for example, respawn gently caress all once cleared.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Fallout 76 new player questions.

My stash is full and it's mostly ammunition. Is there anything end game where I'm actually going to need/use mini nukes/missiles whatnot?

I noticed they recently let you have a 2nd build, for this first build I've pretty much just been doing whatever looks good. With how the card system works and the packs, does that mean I've essentially got one other build to make "good" and the one I'm playing is eventually going to be trash I assume? Or is there a way to redo the first build? ( I guess I'm confused as how this new build change works entirely. )

Any other new player tips/suggestions?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Put a vending machine in your camp and sell it. There's also an ammo converter in the camp build screen where you can trade what you don't use or sell. Check other peoples camps as they're buildable.

Most of your weight is probably missiles, mini-nukes, fusion and plasma cores. If you don't use the weapons or power armor, it may be best to just drop them on the floor of the train station. I limit the amount of low use ammo I store, and anything that doesn't sell for 1 cap (in a reasonable time period, I'm not waiting more than a day), gets dropped in a train station.

I found a drop with about two dozen different magazines and some bobbleheads in it, in various quantities, in a train station, so I go leave communal gifts in them frequently.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Man I wish missile launchers weren’t so worthless.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Steel scrap. That's its' best use.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

There's some kind of bug where you might be unable to log in if you have a mannequin wearing any duped items. Even if you've never duped items, it could happen if you bought or traded a duped item from someone and put it on your mannequin.

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/453859/repeated-character-disconnects-may-3-2021?language%25255B%25255D=e&language%255B%255D=en

quote:

Hi everyone,

Over the past few days, we’ve received reports from a few players who have experienced repeated disconnections when they attempt to log in with one of their characters. First, we want to assure you that we’ve been actively investigating these reports, and we already have a fix in the works.

We’ve determined that this is affecting a very small number of players (currently around 100). In all instances that we’ve looked into so far, this has been related to the impacted character having items in its inventory that are duplicates as a result of exploits. The vast majority of players will not encounter the disconnect issue at all--even if they are actively using mannequins. For those who have been affected by this, there won’t be any data loss once you regain access to your character following our fix.

We are planning to hotfix this very soon, and we should have more information for you in the next couple of days.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Fallout: fix a dozen problems, introduce fifteen more.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

Fallout 76 new player questions.

My stash is full and it's mostly ammunition. Is there anything end game where I'm actually going to need/use mini nukes/missiles whatnot?

I noticed they recently let you have a 2nd build, for this first build I've pretty much just been doing whatever looks good. With how the card system works and the packs, does that mean I've essentially got one other build to make "good" and the one I'm playing is eventually going to be trash I assume? Or is there a way to redo the first build? ( I guess I'm confused as how this new build change works entirely. )

Any other new player tips/suggestions?

As has been pointed out, Nukes and Missiles are useless, sell them, convert them or jam them into one of the suitcases around trainstations for others to pick up.
For all other ammo, there is a perk under Strength, Bandolier, that will drop the weight of all ammo by 90%. Slap that on and carry that poo poo around with you. Doesn't count for energy ammo, for that you need Batteries Included under Intelligence.

As for builds, with how the new system works, there is no longer such a thing as a unsalvagable build as you can swap points around for free.

You can use this
https://nukesdragons.com/fallout76/perks
to show us your build, if we want, and we can go from there.

If you have a specific build in mind, just ask. I've been every build you can possibly imagine. ;)

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Man I wish missile launchers weren’t so worthless.

Beth really dropped the ball on explosives with this game. The Queen and Earle make for perfect missile strike targets but thanks to their absurdly high resistance to explosions they do gently caress all damage compared to even a lovely full health Rifleman build...

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Thanks for the ammo tips. After looking at other peoples vendors it started to make a lot more sense on what ammo is and isn't useless. I was about to complain about the conversion rate for the ammo converter but I guess it's better than just dropping the useless ammo in a bag.

Sensenmann posted:

As for builds, with how the new system works, there is no longer such a thing as a unsalvagable build as you can swap points around for free.

When I run out of quest I'll start looking into some builds I think. I've just been picking whatever sounds fun/cool at the moment. Only weapon I've been focusing on is Bow/Crossbow with some of the sneak perks. It seems alright for solo questing.

Really enjoying the game so far, it's not perfect but I don't think it deserves the hate it gets in it's current form. Inventory is kind of a pain even with the unlimited material stash with 1st. I don't know if it would take away from the mood/atmosphere they were going for, but I would have liked to seen more unique location items/chachkies. Like I found a big goofy looking beaver helmet behind a locked door and that's really the only thing memorable I've found so far.

Since enemy levels are always increasing as you increase in level, all weapons feel kind of the same to me. Like my level 25 bow kills enemies in 1-3 hits and my level 30 bow kills enemies in 1-3 hits and so on. Kind of makes finding new weapons feel bad. I assume this gets better with legendary weapons and proper builds though.

Oh and there not being any power armor displays is pretty :psyduck: I thought the power armor repair/craft schematic was for displaying. So I made 5 of them and was confused when my power armor collection kept disappearing. Also pretty sure I lost a shitload of materials doing that, when I broke the extra ones down it said it gave me back one molded plastic or something like that.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I think there's a display as a reward this season?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Taerkar posted:

I think there's a display as a reward this season?
mannequins for clothes and armor only. power armor displays were on the PTS but they might be holding them off the the Brotherhood of Steel expansion in summer

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

Thanks for the ammo tips. After looking at other peoples vendors it started to make a lot more sense on what ammo is and isn't useless. I was about to complain about the conversion rate for the ammo converter but I guess it's better than just dropping the useless ammo in a bag.

When I run out of quest I'll start looking into some builds I think. I've just been picking whatever sounds fun/cool at the moment. Only weapon I've been focusing on is Bow/Crossbow with some of the sneak perks. It seems alright for solo questing.

Really enjoying the game so far, it's not perfect but I don't think it deserves the hate it gets in it's current form. Inventory is kind of a pain even with the unlimited material stash with 1st. I don't know if it would take away from the mood/atmosphere they were going for, but I would have liked to seen more unique location items/chachkies. Like I found a big goofy looking beaver helmet behind a locked door and that's really the only thing memorable I've found so far.

There's no shortage of outfits in this game but the goofy ones come from events. The Fasnacht masks and some of the Meat Week outfits come to mind.

For ammo, just look at the output you'd get from crafting it. .50, for example, can be crafted in batches of 500 or so, no one buys that. .45, on the other hand, is comparatively expensive and most Commando builds use a Fixer that needs exactly this. Or 5.56 for Handmades.

quote:

Since enemy levels are always increasing as you increase in level, all weapons feel kind of the same to me. Like my level 25 bow kills enemies in 1-3 hits and my level 30 bow kills enemies in 1-3 hits and so on. Kind of makes finding new weapons feel bad. I assume this gets better with legendary weapons and proper builds though.

It does but I'm not sure that Bows will be a great choice for the bosses. For those you might want to look for something with a higher rate of fire. Luckily, a very nice heavy weapon is the reward for one of the later quests.

quote:

Oh and there not being any power armor displays is pretty :psyduck: I thought the power armor repair/craft schematic was for displaying. So I made 5 of them and was confused when my power armor collection kept disappearing. Also pretty sure I lost a shitload of materials doing that, when I broke the extra ones down it said it gave me back one molded plastic or something like that.

Power Armor displays have been delayed because Bethesda, to the surprise of no one, couldn't figure out how to reduce the weight in time. A single PA display with a full PA set ate a quarter of the entire camp budget or something.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 5, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I like the bow with stealth armor.

You can buy upgrades (explosive, flaming, etc) for the bow from a Sunny in Foundation, but they're like 1000 caps. Worth it though if you like the bow. Scrapping bows won't unlock anything but sights.

It's crap in boss fights, but great for long distance picking off of super mutants and scorched.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I was sneaking and shot a regular ghoul with a cannon ball and it did like half it's health in damage :negative: I know it was already mentioned those weapons are garbage but I was expecting it to at least do more damage than my bow.

Do grenades sell well to other players? I don't really use them myself, they seem kind of clunky to use effectively and don't seem to do much significant damage at least at my level/build. Also having trouble figuring out what mods are useful and I've probably going 30-40 of them taking up space in my stash.

Sensenmann posted:

Luckily, a very nice heavy weapon is the reward for one of the later quests.

You don't remember the name of the weapon and/or the name of the quest by any chance do you? Don't want to accidentally vendor it.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

I was sneaking and shot a regular ghoul with a cannon ball and it did like half it's health in damage :negative: I know it was already mentioned those weapons are garbage but I was expecting it to at least do more damage than my bow.

The Broadsider is actually really decent damage wise IF you use the heavy weapon perks. It's a fun weapon to fool around with but it's essentially useless the moment you run into several mobs because of the reload speed.

quote:

Do grenades sell well to other players? I don't really use them myself, they seem kind of clunky to use effectively and don't seem to do much significant damage at least at my level/build. Also having trouble figuring out what mods are useful and I've probably going 30-40 of them taking up space in my stash.

No. The only grenades people use are the Floater ones and that's only because they can't be sold. Grenades are garbage but can be usefull as workaround if a mob is stuck in the wall or something.

For mods, the only mods worth keeping are the ones for the Scout armor. You can only buy them from Modus. All other mods can be learned from scrapping weapons/armor or finding/buying plans for it. There are some plans that have an absurdely low drop rate and/or only drop from specific enemies. All the Ultracite Power Armor mod plans, for example, drop from the Queen only and some of those are extremely rare. Calibrated Shocks, one of the most sought after plans because it increases carry weight for PA, took me ages to get.

quote:

You don't remember the name of the weapon and/or the name of the quest by any chance do you? Don't want to accidentally vendor it.

Final Word. Anti Armor .50 with a faster fire rate and 250 damage resist while aiming. You get it from doing Becketts quest line.

You can get a .50 with the same stats from random drops but this one is guaranteed and one, if not the, best rewards in the game.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 6, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's my mainstay weapon. I've got legendary gatling plasmas and the like, but Final Word is just reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

It's my mainstay weapon. I've got legendary gatling plasmas and the like, but Final Word is just reliable.

Yeah, it also helps that ammo for it is extremely easy to craft in large amounts.
Even if you prime it, the Flux you need for it is basically right there at the Queens stomping grounds.